Paradox launcher wont start on mac. "Javascript error".

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bazsixo

Recruit
17 Badges
Jul 5, 2022
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hi,

As the title says the launcher won't start since this morning. I've been playing eu4 on this mac without a problem for 2 years. Im really noob with tech stuff, so any kind of help would be appreciated.
Képernyőfotó 2022-07-05 - 12.36.05.png

For this reddit user it helped to reinstall the launcher by deleting the folder "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/". When you start eu4 for the first time afterwards, it will install the launcher version which comes with eu4. This might trigger a database migration error, but restarting the launcher after letting it download a new update should fix that.
Does this help for you as well?

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

Note that you can run eu4.app directly to bypass the launcher.

Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

Sorry for sudden interruption, but can you please describe more specific how to do if the deletion doesn't work. Thanks, I‘ve sunk in this problem for a month, and all the common solutions just didn't work. (plus, I really don't understand how to "attach" files; can you please explain that)

I really don't understand how to "attach" files; can you please explain that)
Do you see the Attach Files button just below this text area when you are writing a post? Or just drag and drop them over your post before you commit it.

can you please describe more specific how to do if the deletion doesn't work
I'll need those log files please.

Do you see the Attach Files button just below this text area when you are writing a post? Or just drag and drop them over your post before you commit it.

I'll need those log files please.
I tried to get a new version of MacOs, and it is possible for the launcher to open now. However, there is a new problem here that every time I open the launcher, this error appears. Is there any solution?
截屏2022-09-13 22.45.40.png

I tried to get a new version of MacOs, and it is possible for the launcher to open now. However, there is a new problem here that every time I open the launcher, this error appears. Is there any solution?View attachment 876853
And now it is even impossible for me to open the launcher; it will exit immediately without showing any potential error every time I press the start button in steam.

Attachments

• launcher-bootstrapper.log
    9,3 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    1,5 KB · Views: 0
I see no problem in those files. Was there no cpatch.log there?

What is your actual problem and its history please?

Mac OS Ventura
MacBook Air 1,1

Launcher doesn't start.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 01.00.10.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 01.00.10.png
    3,8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 01.00.02.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 01.00.02.png
    3,9 MB · Views: 0
    3,2 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-dowser.log
    435 bytes · Views: 0
Mac OS Ventura
MacBook Air 1,1

Launcher doesn't start.
Your screenshots clearly show that the launcher has started, so you have a different problem than the people in this thread. The errors from your screenshot show that victoria 3 doesn't start. You can probably get better help in the victoria 3 tech support forum or by contacting the paradox support on the paradox support website. It would probably help them if you specify which macBook Air you have exactly, because I don't think there is one which is called "1,1". If this is supposed to mean the first generation macBook air from 2008, then it is probably too old to run victoria 3.

Your screenshots clearly show that the launcher has started, so you have a different problem than the people in this thread. The errors from your screenshot show that victoria 3 doesn't start. You can probably get better help in the victoria 3 tech support forum or by contacting the paradox support on the paradox support website. It would probably help them if you specify which macBook Air you have exactly, because I don't think there is one which is called "1,1". If this is supposed to mean the first generation macBook air from 2008, then it is probably too old to run victoria 3.
if 2020MacbookAir,i can play in ck3

I am using a version 11.1 MacBook Air. I tried stopping Cities Skylines and restarted it after it got into a softlock when I activated an incompatible mod. When I restarted it, the javascript error occurred. I tried using the method above but launcher did not appear when I hit the PLAY button. Steam shows that the game is running, but both the launcher and the game did not appear, even after restarting the steam app or the MacBook Air. Please help! Thank you.

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    2,5 KB · Views: 0
This may be a bug in the launcher, which seems to require MacOS 12 now. Were you at all thinking of updating MacOS? If so please do that and confirm for me that it helps, then I can report that to the developers.

hi im experiariancing the same issue the solution you provided didn't work here are my files

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    629 bytes · Views: 0
    3,2 KB · Views: 0
Is your JavaScript error identical to the one in the OP here? if so, can you update to MacOS 12?

yes it is the same and no i cannot

yes it is and no i cannot
That's unfortunate, because that's the only known workaround at present! All you can really do is try the launcher again every time it gets updated, which is about every 8 weeks or so.

Sorry about that!