Paradox launcher "Something went wrong while updating the launcher""

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wolkenwand

First Lieutenant
31 Badges
Oct 28, 2017
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
Hello, there are sign that saying i can't update the launcher, i have tried clean reinstall of the game and syncing the windows time like suggested in this thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nt-wrong-while-updating-the-launcher.1257896/ but the problem still exist, i have attached picture of the launcher screenshot,can tech support please help me?
Launcher.png

My laptop spec is:
Asus TUF Gaming fx505dt
Windows 10
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H
Hardisk: 256MB SSD
RAM: 8GB
display: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 & GeForce GTX 1650

Last edited:
Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run Stellaris from the PLAY button in Steam

Good luck with that!

Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run Stellaris from the PLAY button in Steam

Good luck with that!
okay, i just do that and the problem still exist, is there other fix? i also already try to run the game with anti virus turn off and the error still appear.

I second this thread to not create a new one. Same problem, the game that I bought today doesn't even start, it pops out an crash report tool ~10 seconds after I press 'play' in launcher.

*Turning off RivaTuner advice from thread next door helped me.

Last edited:
I second this thread to not create a new one. Same problem, the game that I bought today doesn't even start, it pops out an crash report tool ~10 seconds after I press 'play' in launcher.

*Turning off RivaTuner advice from thread next door helped me.
I still can play the game actually, it just the launcher that has the problem, it might be problematic in long run though because i can't update the launcher? I also not use RivaTuner.

okay, i just do that and the problem still exist, is there other fix? i also already try to run the game with anti virus turn off and the error still appear.
Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package for Windows: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2020.3-win-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the reinstall procedure from before.

Good luck with that!

Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package for Windows: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2020.3-win-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the reinstall procedure from before.

Good luck with that!
After i do that now my launcher version is 2020.3, but it still not functioning properly, there are still red dot in top left symbol and no news feed.
Launcher_bug.png

There is a 2020.3.1 now, but not having that will not impact this game. Can you start the game now?

In this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

There is a 2020.3.1 now, but not having that will not impact this game. Can you start the game now?

In this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.
Yes i can start the game normally, but there is still error notification on the launcher, here are the log files:

Attachments

• launcher-bootstrapper.log
    5,6 KB · Views: 4
  • cpatch.log
    25,5 KB · Views: 2
  • launcher-dowser.log
    443 bytes · Views: 3
  • launcher-2020-03-19.log
    0 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:
It hasn't even tried to update to 2020.3.1 . I'd say just ignore it for the time being; when the next launcher update comes out we'll try forcing that. See you then!

So what worked for me was, I deleted the launcher from my Windows apps and reinstalled it by using "launcher-installer-windows" in Steam/steamapps/common/Stellaris.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So what worked for me was, I deleted the launcher from my Windows apps and reinstalled it by using "launcher-installer-windows" in Steam/steamapps/common/Stellaris.

Can confirm this worked for me too. Thank you Mofushi!

It hasn't even tried to update to 2020.3.1 . I'd say just ignore it for the time being; when the next launcher update comes out we'll try forcing that. See you then!

If possible please add this as workaround for others to see the next time someone has the same issue :)