• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AxelDuVi

Recruit
9 Badges
Dec 16, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Hi everyone. I've had this problem several times and it continues to happen

I searched around the forums for solutions and found that re-installing most of the time fixes it, also uninstalling the launcher itself and installing it again. The first time that worked and then after a while I got the message "fail to launch" so I did a complete re-install and it worked... only for a while, because now I get it again.

This launcher has really been a hassle since it has been implemented and honestly I don't think going around the launcher and starting the .exe directly from the folder is what is intended.

Is there a DEFINITVE fix for this? I haven't found a stable one

thank you for reading :)

Upvote 0
I don't think going around the launcher and starting the .exe directly from the folder is what is intended.
Works great for me. The whole launch a launcher from Steam to load the game is kind of ridiculous.

But yes, for those that are using it, I'm sure it would be nice if they could make it work right for everyone.

If the launcher is up to date but won't run the game, the problem is very likely not the launcher. What launcher version do you see? Current is 2020.16

Next time the game does not run from the launcher, Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

If the launcher is up to date but won't run the game, the problem is very likely not the launcher. What launcher version do you see? Current is 2020.16

Next time the game does not run from the launcher, Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

thank you for your response.

how do I update the Launcher? I have 1.13.1 (so definately outdated)

It is supposed to update itself. Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.