• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TinyWiking

Team Lead - Customer Support
Administrator
Paradox Staff
89 Badges
Jul 1, 2015
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Haemimont Games Staff
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • PDXCON 2017 Gold Ticket holder
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • IPO Investor
  • Eugen Systems Staff
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
Greetings everyone,
We just wanted to answer some of the (probably) most likely questions you may have so please read this entire post before asking your questions ;)

What will this mean for Paradox and HBS?
Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. HBS and Paradox have a shared vision for where to take narrative rich tactical games. Of course each title will be greenlit via Paradox's publishing process. HBS will continue to have the freedom to creative direct our games and build our player experiences.

In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, Harebrained Schemes will gain access to an expert publisher with a strong reputation and a global audience. Paradox will handle finances, marketing, PR, and distribution, and leave the development to HBS. Paradox is bringing HBS on board because they like what the studio is doing, so nobody wants to change that. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided.

This arrangement came about due to the excellent experience both companies have had while working together on BATTLETECH. Everybody believes this is a great fit.

Is Paradox removing any of the executive team at HBS? Will they be installing new studio managers from their side? Will there be other staffing changes?
All the executives of HBS are remaining at the company in their current roles. There are no plans to install new studio management from Sweden in the HBS offices. The only anticipated staffing changes is that we at HBS are currently hiring for the studio!

Will PDS make games using the HBS IP? Will there be Mechwarriors in Stellaris?
There are no plans for “crossing the streams” at this point.

Will HBS make games using Paradox IP? Could we get a CK2 RPG? Victoria 3 when?
HBS will continue to focus on what it does best which are tactical games with rich stories.

Is HBS going to shift its focus to developing tons of DLC?
We will be supporting BATTLETECH with updates and additional content and we are starting concept development for a new title.

As long as this means more Battletech in a more polished state I'm in... I can certainly see the appeal to HBS not sure I'm overly fond of Paradox but they are at least a long running enterprise dealing in a genre I find appealing.

well I like HBS
and I like Paradox
Shadowrun grand strategy game when?

Good luck to Harebrained. Hope it's something which really pays off for them and the games they make. I'd wish Paradox good luck but Sweden are already on 80s IP World Conquest target.

Hi @TinyWiking maybe not a frequently asked question, and possibly a selfish one, but....
In the announcement it mentioned kickstarters would get a free copy of stellaris, does this include those that backed later through backerkit? And if so, for those like myself who have already paid for a copy of the game (and it's a great game btw, thanks) would it be possible to have a choice of DLC instead?
A cheeky request I know, but if you don't ask.....;)

EDIT: also congratulations to both parties, I can't wait to see the fruits borne from this.

...surprised, I am.

But then I am reminded of:

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven...

Last edited:
Great news. Here's hoping this guarantees more BT DLC and content in the future. Hopefully this BattleTech was just the start. Maybe even a grand strategy game in the BT universe?? Heck with Stellaris and a map of the Inner Sphere you're half way there. The ability to mix the strategy and turn-based elements as per Total War? OK I'm dreaming now.

Hi @TinyWiking maybe not a frequently asked question, and possibly a selfish one, but....
In the announcement it mentioned kickstarters would get a free copy of stellaris, does this include those that backed later through backerkit? And if so, for those like myself who have already paid for a copy of the game (and it's a great game btw, thanks) would it be possible to have a choice of DLC instead?
A cheeky request I know, but if you don't ask.....;)

EDIT: also congratulations to both parties, I can't wait to see the fruits borne from this.

I'll echo Taurian above. I already own Stellaris so was wondering if a DLC alternative would be possible? Don't get if you don't ask hehe.

20 years ago... or so... I managed to email Jordan directly on AOL... after reading that FASA had been sold to Microsoft (yeah over dialup at 52K via AOL. Sadly, I do not have that email anymore. My point was... you just sold out and killed BT. His reply was something along the lines of... but now we have the resources of a MS to do stuff and things will be great. Enter the 15 year break in all things FASA as the IP bounced.

Paradox has had its own "issues". However, HBS has delivered. Jordan, I hope you have learned.

Long live HBS! Godspeed!

Now get us a new DLC for BT and a new SR and a new WOD right the heck NOW!

Stellaris cannot be changed for something else I'm afraid. Anyone that backed it, including late backers, are eligible for this.

we are starting concept development for a new title.
Since Paradox owns you, now you have absolutely ZERO excuse to pull a BattleTech repeat by not having linux, uwqhd, and mods support built in day one launch. #salty

I only saw this thread because it was linked from elsewhere - I have posts sorted by last message and this is a pinned post and yet it's on the bottom of the list. If you want better visibility it might be better to move it to the top of the list?

It seems every time Jordan has a golden goose, he sells it. This move betrays the very concept of why HBS was created in the first place. An independent studio that could do whatever it wanted. Not having their ideas shot down by a publisher. I guess we should have all seen it coming when HBS put in the online only DLC. Next will be hundreds of microtransations. I'm so disappointed we are losing such a great company. I hope they dont have the audacity to ever go back to kickstarter moving forward.