• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would be very cool but unless it's HBS doing it (they'd have access to Clausewitz and well experienced programmers and QA from PDX so I don't think it's impossible), I can't see it happening. Paradox has said they aren't doing any more spinoffs for their own games, and they've already got a space-focused game (Stellaris), a dynasty-focused game (CK2), and an economy-focused game (Victoria). A Succession Wars 4X would be in take-my-money territory but it's a combination of these three and I just can't picture PDX doing it as much as I'd like to see it. If they're doing a new game, it'll be a fantasy grand strategy game or a Cold War game.

And I don't see HBS doing it. If HBS is going to make a non-tactical game, I think it's going to be a Crimson Skies reboot. And who knows, maybe they have a tactics-based concept for Crimson Skies too. O

Well, the rules are there: Interstellar Operations & Inner Sphere at War are both focused on realm vs. realm kind of play. Given how focused the BT lore is on dynastys and such, and how experienced Paradox has become at 4X and dynasty play, I think it is obvious to sooner or later take Battletech in this direction, and it would be GREAT and an instant-buy.

And I don't see HBS doing it. If HBS is going to make a non-tactical game, I think it's going to be a Crimson Skies reboot. And who knows, maybe they have a tactics-based concept for Crimson Skies too.

Like Battletech, any Crimson Skies game will most likely be based on the original tabletop.

Would be very cool but unless it's HBS doing it (they'd have access to Clausewitz and well experienced programmers and QA from PDX so I don't think it's impossible), I can't see it happening. Paradox has said they aren't doing any more spinoffs for their own games, and they've already got a space-focused game (Stellaris), a dynasty-focused game (CK2), and an economy-focused game (Victoria). A Succession Wars 4X would be in take-my-money territory but it's a combination of these three and I just can't picture PDX doing it as much as I'd like to see it. If they're doing a new game, it'll be a fantasy grand strategy game or a Cold War game.

And I don't see HBS doing it. If HBS is going to make a non-tactical game, I think it's going to be a Crimson Skies reboot. And who knows, maybe they have a tactics-based concept for Crimson Skies too. O

I can't see 4x, it doesn't really fit the universe, so really Stellaris is out.

Wouldn't this be more like EU/CK/HoI type gameplay? You have established lore that sets times and periods, strengths of nations, political power plays, important individuals, intrigue etc.

I would love to see it. You could cover the major conflict periods, and each of the succession wars etc... It would be glorious.

That said.. I'd love to see a Crimson Skies reboot.

I can't see 4x, it doesn't really fit the universe, so really Stellaris is out.

Wouldn't this be more like EU/CK/HoI type gameplay? You have established lore that sets times and periods, strengths of nations, political power plays, important individuals, intrigue etc.

I would love to see it. You could cover the major conflict periods, and each of the succession wars etc... It would be glorious.

That said.. I'd love to see a Crimson Skies reboot.

Well Stellaris isn't exactly your normal 4X. Those tend to be turn-based and Stellaris is real-time. Obviously, the exploration and (peaceful) expansion of 4X games don't fit into a BattleTech universe game, but the rest do. And Stellaris has to be mentioned because it's space mechanics would be the closely comparable to BattleTech. Gameplay wise, CK2 would probably be the closest. Combat would either have to be abstracted (like the earth-based grand strategy games), or an entirely new system that Paradox has never done before would need to be created.

Well, the rules are there: Interstellar Operations & Inner Sphere at War are both focused on realm vs. realm kind of play. Given how focused the BT lore is on dynastys and such, and how experienced Paradox has become at 4X and dynasty play, I think it is obvious to sooner or later take Battletech in this direction, and it would be GREAT and an instant-buy.

Agreed that it would be great, but Paradox has explicitly said that they're not really interested in doing small scale spinoff games that don't have broad appeal outside the setting. This was in response to questions about whether they would do a March of the Eagles or Sengoku sequel/style game again. Both had some really interesting gameplay elements but weren't really popular. Paradox games are becoming more mainstream, but a Succession Wars game while sounding absolutely amazing doesn't sound like a game Paradox would do. Like I said, if HBS wanted to do it, I could see it. But I think it's very unlikely that Paradox does it.

Well Stellaris isn't exactly your normal 4X. Those tend to be turn-based and Stellaris is real-time. Obviously, the exploration and (peaceful) expansion of 4X games don't fit into a BattleTech universe game, but the rest do. And Stellaris has to be mentioned because it's space mechanics would be the closely comparable to BattleTech. Gameplay wise, CK2 would probably be the closest. Combat would either have to be abstracted (like the earth-based grand strategy games), or an entirely new system that Paradox has never done before would need to be created.

Agreed that it would be great, but Paradox has explicitly said that they're not really interested in doing small scale spinoff games that don't have broad appeal outside the setting. This was in response to questions about whether they would do a March of the Eagles or Sengoku sequel/style game again. Both had some really interesting gameplay elements but weren't really popular. Paradox games are becoming more mainstream, but a Succession Wars game while sounding absolutely amazing doesn't sound like a game Paradox would do. Like I said, if HBS wanted to do it, I could see it. But I think it's very unlikely that Paradox does it.

Indeed, so just teh Exploit and Exterminate parts... Except that the exterminate rarely happens(Notable exceptions the Rim World Republic and WoB)... cause this is battletech, a forever war type setting. It really is more like the CK2 setting where nations may rise and fall, but the conflict and intrigue remains....
Not many other games have done the sort of intrigue and empire interactions that Paradox have done with CK2/EU/HoI, and none in a mostly static space environment, especially one that is so well defined and with so much lore.

I totally get that Paradox would not want to do it. Unlike the European setting of their other games, this won't have the "historic" appeal.

Honestly, I am kind of hoping that we do get a larger scale tactical combat game, whereby you have companies of mechs/tanks/infantry with artillery and aerospace etc, and enact set piece battles across a larger planetwide battlefield. I think there is definitely room in the market for something like that(I'd even live with it being RTwP), a total war style game but with Mechs. I mean look at how well the Warhammer world is doing in the Total War setting.

Anyway... If nothing else happy just to see HBS get some stability, so they can build what they want.

Honestly, I am kind of hoping that we do get a larger scale tactical combat game, whereby you have companies of mechs/tanks/infantry with artillery and aerospace etc, and enact set piece battles across a larger planetwide battlefield. I think there is definitely room in the market for something like that(I'd even live with it being RTwP), a total war style game but with Mechs.
I think that a game similar to HOI4 which implements a planetary campaign would be really interesting as a Battletech universe game. The question would be how to implement the equivalent of production in a game that is not total warfare and in a universe where most equipment production is done on only a few planets. The other question would be how to implement it in such a way that it is interesting given that almost all warfare in Battletech involves only two factions fighting over control of a planet.

I think that a game similar to HOI4 which implements a planetary campaign would be really interesting as a Battletech universe game. The question would be how to implement the equivalent of production in a game that is not total warfare and in a universe where most equipment production is done on only a few planets. The other question would be how to implement it in such a way that it is interesting given that almost all warfare in Battletech involves only two factions fighting over control of a planet.

True... there are a lot of key "battles" and operations that have occurred throughout Battletech history, you could make a battle game with set scenarios. With different opponents each time. Marik v Liao, Liao v Davion, Davion v Kurita, Kurita v Steiner, Steiner v Marik.
Different time periods as well. You could set battles across the whole of the Succession wars, with each having slight variations on Rules. SLDF vs Rim World Republic, if you include clans, you have Tukkayid and other significant periods.

You could also have it spanning more than one world... have it in small sections or regions, A chunk of border that is in contest for example. There is an absolute wealth of infor on Sarna, including significant operations/battles during each time period. You could build a fairly significant game from that alone.

The interest I think would be the sort of thing that inspired old boardgames like Panzerfaust and other combined arms WW2 and other period conflicts. Add the strategic layer, and you have games like Western Front and Eastern Front etc... Even Axis and Allies to a lesser degree.....

That could fit well with Paradox's current stable of games.....

it is not theirs to give or sell. They are licensing the IP either from Topps or Microsoft.
Some additional information from Jordan's Wikipedia page:

"In 2007, FASA Studio was dissolved and all of the FASA rights were then licensed to Weisman. In 2007 Weisman founded Smith & Tinker (named after the characters in The Wizard of Oz). It was through Smith & Tinker that Weisman was able to relicense his old FASA properties. Smith & Tinker has licensed the electronic entertainment rights to Crimson Skies, Shadowrun, MechWarrior and other FASA properties that had belonged to Microsoft."

IT history is filled with weird stuff.

Did you know that Bill Gates went to IBM in 1980 to sell them Dos (Base for windows) first?
.....They turned him down.....
Microsoft and IBM made a contract to offer DOS on IBM PCs instead.

In 1990, Microsoft had over 90% of the PC market.....
Oh, if someone didnt know. Bill Gates is one of the richest persons alive.

Since Im a backer of Battletech how do I get the free Stellaris game offered for the BT backers?
As far as I know, nothing has been announced for when or how the delivery will occur. Many of us are presuming that it will be delivered by backerkit like all of the other rewards.

Speaking of which...

The PDX acquisition means QUADs are now possible, right? :D

Hmm, interesting take on the situation.....
If we get on to the PDX overlords now, Sweden beat South Korea in the FIFA World Cup to day so clearly they will all be in a good mood...

Speaking of which...

The PDX acquisition means QUADs are now possible, right? :D
CapKingCrabdisapprove.jpg