Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Publishing from CCP Games

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sorry to hear that. I'll have to look closer later.

I have never played a pen and paper RPG in my life. But I was looking forward to some pc games in this universe. You who know more about this, would this somehow destroy the enjoyment of any upcoming pc game? If I remember correctly white wolf would handle something they called "meta plot". Is this the overall lore or something? Did they mess this up?

If I remember correctly white wolf would handle something they called "meta plot". Is this the overall lore or something? Did they mess this up?

Yes, and yes. And they're bringing in player stuff to lay it out, which, as you can see from what they are appealing to in the review, is unlikely to be good. Frankly, I'd be more likely to licence the nWoD stuff, as I would have less chance to have this lot breathing down my neck for it, as there's already credible reports of them interfering with licensor creative processes. TBH, sooner or later the para management are going to have to step in and do some drastic things if the IP is to retain any kind of value. They'd have been better off buying out OPP as well as this, ordering Beast: The Primordial shitcanned, and letting them handle things, as they're the ones from the old white wolf who actually are competent.

Edit:

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-strengthen-team-with-new-ceo/

IIRC, NuWW was Frederik's baby. I wonder if this is a way to move him quietly away from management considering how much of a mess it has been thus far. It may be months old, but NuWW was trouble from get go; they may have gotten annoyed at his clasping of that asp to the company's bosom, a problem that had been in progress for years.

Last edited:
Metaplot is there to move books & keep fans engaged even when they're lapses or not actively playing. There's a serious sense of ownership and identity culture that goes with the metaplot. You can 'always' ignore it, but a good 80% of the fans are in it for the metaplot. The 'secrets' and 'hints' in the latest release and the story of the world.

I feel that's better served with novels or TV shows myself. Or even a webcomic. Just. Not a gameline.

But what do I know? I'm but a humble IT consultant.

So, to lighten the mood, it looks like NuWW listened to feedback & is adding an extensive "How to handle sensitive topics in game" section and much more...to the PDF.

The 1st printing, that which is being sold in 72 hours, will not have this though players will get the updated PDF.

This is all stuff that people have been pointing out since, like, day 1 of NuWW. Better late than never?

As for the system - Meh. Looks to be stealing from the best - Loresheets from Legends of the Wulin (something more people should steal from), most of Requiem 2nd edition wholesale (Touchstones, player chosen humanity breaking points [this is where you're going to find all the fascist/white power fan 'suggestions'], blood potency based on age) combined with the new hunger system; which is the only legitimately new idea, though sounds very close to the original concept pitched for Requiem 1st back in the day*.

It's not a hot mess, as far as anyone can see, but it's closer to a Blizzard system than a bespoke White Wolf madness.

*Based on articles and conversations with Justin ~2k4, but I recall him talking at Dragon*Con about how they were playing with different colored dice, etc.

Yes, and yes. And they're bringing in player stuff to lay it out, which, as you can see from what they are appealing to in the review, is unlikely to be good. Frankly, I'd be more likely to licence the nWoD stuff, as I would have less chance to have this lot breathing down my neck for it, as there's already credible reports of them interfering with licensor creative processes. TBH, sooner or later the para management are going to have to step in and do some drastic things if the IP is to retain any kind of value. They'd have been better off buying out OPP as well as this, ordering Beast: The Primordial shitcanned, and letting them handle things, as they're the ones from the old white wolf who actually are competent.

Edit:

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-strengthen-team-with-new-ceo/

IIRC, NuWW was Frederik's baby. I wonder if this is a way to move him quietly away from management considering how much of a mess it has been thus far. It may be months old, but NuWW was trouble from get go; they may have gotten annoyed at his clasping of that asp to the company's bosom, a problem that had been in progress for years.

Thanks for the info!

But about the edit about Fredrik. No way that is true. He is actually moving up to take a bigger role in the company to manage all the newly acquired brands and studios they keep buying. He just doesn't have time to focus on the daily matter of being a ceo anymore.
He owns 33.40% of the company and the other big owner trust him completely, since basicly under his leadership paradox went from nothing to what it is now. This is what I have gathered from interviews.

And this interview from a few days ago, https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...es-in-the-past-i-dont-want-to-do-that-anymore
He confirms they have a few games that are at more than an experimental level. They are moving full steam ahead basically.

Last edited:
I think we've moved beyond the original purpose of this thread - the discussion of Paradox and White Wolf. I think discussion of the new VtM book should be moved to the OT. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.