• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

panther-anthro

General
126 Badges
Sep 22, 2007
www.gamerisle.org
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
Panther's IntAARgnum: A Tlemcen AAR

Tlemcen: Terror of the Barbary Coast

Chapter Log:

Chapter 1: Rise and Fall of the Tlemcen
Chapter 2: Chaos and Prosperity

aberrationqe9.png

Okay, so I'm going to do something similar to the Cossack Aberration AAR, so I thought I'd use the same image. Same idea, with one condition, it has to be a non-European nation!

=D Thanks in Advance guys, I plan to update it daily, once things get going.

Question: How do I get screenshots out of Eu 2? My laptop lacks a Print Screen button. Thanks in advance!

Oh, an Addendum: I'll let Finland/Byzantine not count as a European nation if you guys want Finland/Byzantine.

The list of playable non-european nations that have a lot of events: Tlemcen, Finland*, The Caliphate, Kingdom of Jerusalem, The Mamluks, Byzantine,Golden Horde, and Al-Andalusia.

Scores:

Tlemcen: 2 -Tlemcen wins by draw: AAR is about Tlemcen-

Finland: 0

The Caliphate: 0

Kingdom of Jerusalem: 1

Byzantine: 0

Golden Horde: 2 -Just so no one is confused, I voted GH-

Al-Andalusia: 0

Note: I'm Using Interregnum not Aberration :p, but their similar.

Addendum: We decided on Tlemcen!
Blason-alger.gif

Last edited:
panther-anthro said:
Question: How do I get screenshots out of Eu 2? My laptop lacks a Print Screen button. Thanks in advance!

Pressing F11 will save a bitmap into your eu2 folder.

I vote Tlemcen, for something different.

I'd suggest you didn't use a non-European nation, they have far less events than Europeans. They get boring pretty quickly.
Try Golden Horde, they always seemed pretty tough in all Aberrations.

i vote tlemcen as well ;)
unless you played the mod a lot before, this nation will suerlly keep you on your toes ;) also has intreasting even choices
if pick that, good luck, you will need it :)

use "imageshack" like i do; no registration and fast practical real time uploads.
http://imageshack.us/
just copy and paste the option " Thumbnail for forums (1) " after picture gets uploaded.
golden horde might be a bit tough in begining, but once the cossacks are out of the way, there is not much danger left to fill the void...

Last edited:
Oh, I have a photobucket ACC, and I upload fast. I had two abandoned Rome AAR's that were killed by technical issues. But yea, since we probably won't get many more votes.

I'm well aware that europeans have more events, but I won't find it boring for several reasons: =D If need be I'll write events, just for the story <.<.

I guess, I'll go with Tlemcen, then guys! Wish me luck I guess!

=D voting closed, Tlemcen we are, first portion of the AAR will be up as soon as I play it. *End of today* Glad, I got some actual feedback though!

Edit: I'm playing til the year 1500 for the first update. =D Been really fun so far, lots of interesting stuff happened etc.

Last edited:
The Rise, and Fall of Tlemcen

Chapter 1: The Rise and Subsequent Fall of Tlemcen

Blason-alger.gif

Time Period: 1419-1455

The Tlemcen rulers were originally installed by the Romans, hundreds of years ago. Their history is a long one, but we come here to focus upon the period of time which saw the fall of the Tlemcen Empire. This is the story of the Islamic nation that sought to defy the Mediterranean European powers, and secure for itself a place in history, as one of the greatest nations of all time.

Our story cannot begin til an over-view of the world in which Tlemcen's rise to power took place in was detailed.

ScreenSave1.jpg

To the west of the Tlemcen lay the nations of Morocco, Al-Andalusia, Leon, Galicia, and Porto. The ability of the Al-Andalusian empire to hold back the catholics from retaking iberia, and gain dominance of the region had greatly inspired the peoples of the barbary coast. Their proud brothers in faith were able to push back the catholics to the northernmost parts of Iberia, and reclaim a great deal of land, which they had unjustly taken.

To the north there is the region of Gaul torn asunder by the various armies which beset themselves upon it, it's once great kingdom of france has vanished into nothing but a group of feuding feudal states. Further north lays the Kingdom of Scotland, as England had met a similar fate to France, it to is in ruins, and a succession battle for who would become the ruler of Brittania is also waged. To the Northwest lies, Brittany and Eire, two Kingdoms which rose to prominence during the chaos that ensued France and England.

Moving to the near-east, the Italian States of Genoa, and Sicily have risen to prominence and gained control of the Mediterranean, these were to become the primary rivals of the Tlemcen. In Germany Swabia, and Bavaria vie for dominance of the Germanic region.

Further to the east, lay Hungary, and the Byzantine Empire. The defeat of the Seljuk Turks and their disintegration had caused a revival of the Byzantine Empire, who was thought by many to be doomed. This was of great cause for unrest among the peoples of the Islamic faith, as one of the great pillars of Islam had crumbled to christian arms. But, even worse was the survival of the Crusader state of Jerusalem, the failure of Saladin to retake Jerusalem was a great insult to the Islamic nations, but the ability of the Abbasid Caliphate to fend off the Mongols had left the greater successor state of Mohammad himself still standing.

Now, we come to the nation of Tlemcen. It's lands our poor, it's people far from numerous, it's people are ripe with unrest, and the unity of it's lands is tenuous at best. It's rule over it's people is highly decentralized resulting in the total inability of the Sultan to command his followers to do much of anything. The primary economic ability of the Tlemcen Sultanate was it's ability to use pirates to vastly increase the wealth in it's coffers, and yet this greatly angered the nations of Ragusa, Genoa, and Sicily. However, the pirates of the barbary coast feverently backed their Sultan, and helped him in anyway they could, for the fall of the Tlemcen Sultanate, would have ended up with dire consequences for the Barbary Coast!

The Reign of Abu Ya'qub I:

ScreenSave17.jpg

Abu Ya'qub I came to power as the ruler of a very distraught kingdom, with hardly any power to enforce his will on his own subjects let alone other nations, and yet he took it upon himself to better his people, by focusing on granting them greater freedoms. During the beginning of his reign his power was quickly challenged by rebels, who he quickly subdued to increase his control over the Sultanate, lending to an increase in the centralization in power of the kingdom.

During the year 1422, the Sultan Abu Ya'qub I, began the work of creating friendships among the various Islamic states around him. He created what was to be known as the Grand Alliance of the Barbary Coast. All the Islamic nations in the nearby region such as Morocco, Cryencia, and Al-Andalusia joined into this glorious alliance. This was of course a clever tactic by Sultan Abu, to attain the nessecary manpower and resources to carry out his military campaign, that he thought would save Tlemcen from the brink of destruction. His target was Sicily, it was alone without any allies, and long before the island of Sicily had belonged to the Islamic world, and before that to the great empire of Carthage, who had defied rome itself. Abu thought himself to be like Hannibal Barcid, and he always referred to Tlemcen as 'New Carthage'.

The Sicilian War

The Sicilian War, began with the Pirates of the Barbary coast enlisting into the navy of Tlemcen, and all the allies of the Barbary Alliance coming together to face off against the Sicilian threat. This would be a long, and bloody war for all of the Barbary Coast members. Abu took control of the army himself, and created a much larger army then his forefathers had made, one to rival the glory of any other that Tlemcen had raised in the past. The Fleet numbered 25 galleys in total, and the army measuring at around 18 regiments. The Sicilians had a larger navy, and a larger army, but they lacked one thing that Tlemcen had in large numbers, "Friends".

The initial fighting in Sicily resulted in at first a major defeat for the forces of Tlemcen, but with the forces of Al-Andalusia attacking the city of Naples, the forces of Sicily were spread in two. With all the might of Tlemcen, Abu took control of the city of Medina, and the Sicilians begged him for peace after such a minor conquest. His great military victory, had established his right to rule as far as the military was concerned, but this was not to be the end of the war. The Sicilian army, number over 18,000 men charged into Medina in an attempt to retake the city from the forces of Tlemcen, Abu's valiant soldiers crushed the Sicilian Army. After this great loss, the Sicilians dared to offer Abu the pitiful tribute of 32 Ducats.

ScreenSave12.jpg

Battle_of_Preveza_(1538).jpg

The Sinking of the Sicilian Navy, by the Tlemcen Navy

But Abu, refused this pitiful demand, and within a matter of months he had seized the capitol of sicily itself. The Christians soon fled their lands, and the island of Sicily was once again under Islamic control. Abu, soon accepted peace with the Sicilian fools, for a grand total of four Ducats.

Tlemcen had won a great victory, Sicily was once again part of their Empire, and the Catholics had been shown the true power of the Islamic forces of the Barbary Coast.

ScreenSave14.jpg

The Andalusian Wars

Sultan Abu the Wrathful *As he was called after the conquest of Sicily*, was called upon by his Al-Andalusian allies to come to their aid, yet he turned down their request, abandoning the very alliance he had created. He did not wish a war with the Catholic powers who were trying to retake the Iberian peninsula, and his people were ravaged by the cost, and exhaustion caused by the Sicilian War. His prudent decision ended up in the eventual major losses suffered by Al-Andalusian forces, which resulted in a partial reconquest by the Catholics of Iberia. He wished to aid his brothers in faith to fend off the Catholics, and yet he knew that there would be other times for that, maybe not in his lifetime, but in that of others.

The Reign of Abu Yusuf Ya'qub II the Glorious

Sultan_Mahmud_II.jpg

Painting of Sultan Abu Yusuf Ya'qub II

Abu Yusuf Ya'qub II took control of the Tlemcen Sultanate after his wise, and revered father had passed away. Under his rule the Tlemcen would reach an unparalleled level of centralization in their Government, then ever before. He was to be the greatest military commander their land had ever seen since Hannibal, and his military talents were only equaled by his talents in Diplomacy, and Administration. He was to be known as Abu the Glorious, for many thought he was blessed by Allah.

The Genoan War

Abu the II, took it upon himself to claim the lands in the Mediterranean that his father had not. Mainly, the lands held by the Genoans, such as Malta, Corsica, and Sardinia.

He cared not for the likes of Alliances, such as his father, and he declared war all on his own verse the Genoans. As fortune would have it, the Genoans allies of Burgundy, and Savoy abandoned them in their war vs the Tlemcen Milan also declared war upon their pitiful republic.

Upon hearing this news it was said that Abu the II let out a cheer of joy, and exclaimed "Surely, Allah has blessed us this day, let us go forth and bring Islam to these Infidels!". Within a matter of months the forces of Abu the II, had destroyed the entire fleet of the Genoans, with their massive fleet of 40 galley's headed by the greatest admirals in Tlemcen history. The victory on the sea, assured that the conquest of he islands of Malta, Corsica, and Sardinia was imminent. The land battles on these Islands were all victorious for the Tlemcen, and the news that the Provinces of Sicily, and Medina on the Island of Sicily had converted to the true religion of Islam, inspired the forces of Abu the Glorious to feats of even greater valor. Within months the Genoans offered peace to the Tlemcen, they seceded the islands of Sardinia, Corsica, and Malta.

Truly, this was a blessed day for Islam, and for Tlemcen. But it was to be the beginning of the end of the Tlemcen 'Empire'. Within months of it's conquest Abu the II had enforced the Jizya, on Corsica and Sardinia. Expelled all the christians from Malta, and re-colonized it in the name of Islam, making it a true part of the Tlemcen 'Empire' again.

ScreenSave25.jpg

The End of the Tlemcen Empire

In the year 1455, the religious conversion of much of the territories of the Tlemcen Empire was all but complete, only the recent conquests of Sardinia, and Corsica were without the true faith.

With the immense gain of power caused by the conquest of all these territories, and the spread of Islam into the heart of Catholic lands, there was thought little that the Tlemcen Empire could accomplish, it was becoming a power to rival the Abbasid Caliphate.

It was during this time, that the Abu the Glorious declared that they would no longer be known as the Tlemcen Empire, but as the Alumajadid Caliphate.

From this day forward they would seek to rival the Abbasid Caliphate, as the true successors of Mohammad.

ScreenSave27.jpg

Last edited:
soldier.png

Sorry, for the triple posting, but I wanted to post some notes, and not in the 'AAR' topic.

God, I gained like 6 inflation in 35 years, because of the wars vs Sicily, and Genoa, I got a few events that reduced my inflation, and I only minted during the wars, but dear god, they took a major toll on my inflation. I'm hoping to not have to mint ever again, because 6% inflation is bad enough this early, as a muslim nation at that! Not to mention my bad tech group, but at least, I have level 2 naval, and army tech now.I'm suprised how well a bunch of galley's did, and Abu yusuf II is a AWESOME RULER, I've had him for quite a long time now to, and he's a ridiculously good general, 4 man, 6 shock, 4 fire, and 2 siege!

Anyway, I'm sure I'll end up fighting Sicily or Genoa again in the near future, but I was never expecting to get a nation forming event so soon, nor was I expecting to automatically gain control of Sicily! That was awesome, seriously! I'm probably going to focus on conquering Morocco after I deal with Sicily, Genoa isn't much of a threat anymore, with all three of it's islands in my control.

Lastly, I'd like to know how you guys think I did with 6 manpower base, vs those two powerful nations? I kind of, had to wait until they dishonored alliances before, I could attack them, I got lucky on Sicily, and the only reason I beat Sicily was my allies distracting them long enough to take Messina. I was tempted to take Apulia then, but I figured I'll do it later.

I'm pretty sure, I heard somewhere that there's an event for Alu Empire that gives them Orthodox tech group, so I can at least advance quick enough to not have to beat europeans with spears, while they shoot down my men with guns!

To be honest though, I never mentioned this in the AAR, but Morroco is my Vassal, I'm probably just going to diplo annex him. He's only three provinces, and not worth waging two wars to wipe him out, when it'll hit me with stab problems. I have very low bad boy, for what I've largely accomplished. I'm hoping I don't run into any bad events in the second phase though!

Oh, I have a question: Do you guys like this writing style, or do you want me to write from more of a perspective of the Sultans themselves?

Note: I intend to update every day, so check back often! *I'll update more often then that, if there is an interest shown *posts/views*, and I hope to get feedback on what you guys think our 'goals' should be!

Current Goals

Own rest of North Africa

Bring Islam to the Italian Peninsula

Help Al-Andalusia repel the Crusaders

A few odd things, about what happened in the game: Poland has somehow resurrected, taken down Brandenburg even! Then again, Byzantine is also gaining in power, also Kingdom of Jerusalem is still alive.

Last edited:
The event is called "An Empire at Peace" and can trigger between 1500 and 1535, but likely in 1500, as the offset is just 200. There are no triggers, although there really ought to be (Stability 0 or better, for example). However, the event won't happen unless you moved the capital to Tunis. If you stayed in Orania (representing traditionalism) then you remain Muslim tech (although there are other advantages, less civil war, for example, and more manpower).

Well done with Tlemcen. I have played it not done nearly as well. It's really tricky to beat the Sicilians and the Genoese. Either you get a few lucky combats or else you get some lucky alliances. I often had them gang up on me early on and its just too much.

Abu Yusuf II is very good, and the ai needs himespecially if it has any chance of forming the Almujadids (I have seen it happen.) But you have to survive the first 20+ years and it isn't easy. As you said, lower tech, lower MP and poor starting slider settings.

Looking forward to reading more.

Your AAR might form the basis of additional events for the Almujadids. ;)

Last edited:
Glad to hear it, and I wouldn't mind trying to create a few, to help out if you don't mind? I personally think that a successful Almujadids SHOULD get cores on Morocco, they are trying to reform the Almohammad Empire, are they not? Wouldn't that involve taking Morocco's territory as well.

I'd also like to see some explorers! Also, really the trick was to noticing when Sicily would have no allies, doing the same for Genoa. Europe has turned out rather odd, and I'm not used to seeing Al-Andalusia get beat that easily.

On a related note: Technically, I think taking Rome should have a HUGE significance to the Almujadids, they are redeeming the land that was once Carthage, by defeating the mortal enemy of Islam, and the Carthaginians, in Rome!

Note: Sardinia/Corsica = should have similar events to what happens in Sicily/Malta. It was formerly territory that was held by almohammads if I remember right, for a period of time? Even, if not that you could focus on the fact that that something like occurs in Malta, could easily have occured in Sardinia/Corsica as well.

Do, I have to move my Capitol to Tunis, or can I move it to Sicily? I rather be based in Sicily.

Note: Matty, if you'd like I'd gladly suggest events for an essential rivalry between the Abbasid and the Almujadids?

For instance, what if the Almujadids retake Judea, instead of the Abbasid? Wouldn't that be a sort of 'slap' in the face? Also, why wouldn't I move to Tunis, honestly I'm pretty much flat out saying that my rulers consider themselves to be the heirs of Carthage! *-Looks to Al-Andalusia-*

But, my real issue lies with the lack of explorers, I want to colonize Africa, but I really have some issues. I'm still angered at my inflation for so early though, but I'm honored that you take an interest in my humble AAR!

The only thing I'd suggest to rebalance is that Tunis should grant far more manpower than it currently does. It was one of the most populated cities at the time in North Africa, and it was also the old Capitol of Carthage! I know, I'm mentioning Carthage a lot, but I view Almujadids as a Second Carthage, as Byzantine was a Second Rome!

I do have a request, that you have an intro event for Tlemcen, that mentions how hurtful the loss of the Seljuks dominance in Turkey was! Also, it's obvious that the fact that the Islamic world has triumphed in this timeline instead of failed, other then turkey should be a big difference in a lot of the Islamic nations.

Oh, does anyone have any other goals, they think we should do in the near future? Thought I'd ask.

I do ask, that more Barbary Coast events for the Almujadids be added in such as Barbossa serving the Almujadids *lack of Ottomans, makes them next in line, because Mamluks failed, and Almujadids are more powerful*

Tommorow I'll post second half, but I'll have to say 1455-1500 was VERY interesting, lots of 'annoying', and good things happened. As well as a few uh 'strange' ones :p.

Note: I get 0 manpower from my mainland provinces, because my capitol is in Sicily, why is this Matty, I really don't like getting 0 manpower, because of my capitol's location. *Well I get manpower from my capitol obviously, but that's it really*

So, I'm tempted to make an event after 1560, that says. "With Sicily stabilized, the Sultan chooses to make his Capitol in Tunisia" I think, I SHOULD get cores on Corsica, and Sardinia by now, along with culture changes for the same reason as Sicily. I'm tempted to code in the events myself, and I think they'd be valid in the actual game. They've been part of my Empire just as long as Malta/Sicily.

Note: Empire at peace is useful, but I'm positive no one has ever tested it before. For one reason: You have no manpower, someone would've noticed this. Owning all the berber, and magberber territories, should've granted me, FAR more manpower then I'm getting. But, I'm not getting it, at all.

Last edited:
franklly i am surprise at the SPEED you were able to form the new empire :) . it usually takes me longer and i use same trick as you did( one enemy at the time, without alliance AND rellying a lot on my allies, especially al andalus. i MUST ask; what settings are you playing on?????????? if you are on "very hard" and "weaklening" this is AWSOME. if not this is still GREAT :) no worries.
glad to see matty getting "involved" in the aar too.

a few points i would like to "give" without spoiling the element of surprise too much for yourself:

-marocco has a CHANCE in an event to choose gaining a shipyard( they do quiet often).
- mamluks will have a lot of turmoil with their state beeing split in 2 and going at each other( both will have great leaders).
-having a huge galleys navy in mediteranian is the key to avoid and real losses. genoa will be the one and only that might couse problems there, and maybe byzhantum.
- jerusalim will get annexed by calipath , for sure, at some point( or the least will hapen is for them them to move to cyprus).
- yes, gaining marocco and incorporating them will likelly give you the bonus of having an extra colonist/year due to the fact of bordering uncolonized provinces.
- your tech will remain behind , at least for a while, however is not a major issue anymore as long as you keep a HUGE navy if galleys(i am talking 150+ ;) , i think you have enough ports to support that already? or after you take morocco?)

myself would have the follow objectives:
- war and vassal present egypt; when they split , i would assist the one that remains my ally and vassal the other half as well, without letting them re-unite again ever( not allowing to siege each other's capitals or /AND keeping them both in same alliance.
- using future egypt leaders and awsome agressivness( 2 small vassals but with striking capabilities) i would attempt to vassal calipath itself , maybe after a few wars in wich i would take some cots IF any, etc)
-after calipath vassal AND the european nations brought under control( samll in size and militarry capabilities REGARDLESS of their tech, i would turn on al andalus). in first war i would take al andalus cot and in second i would vassal them.

THEN there will be the TRUE alliance)))))))) myself, 1 of the egyptian states, calipath AND al andalus all with me as alliance leader. i would try to do that by 1600's and the remaining time will be devoted to colonizing. will diploannex SOME of them depending on size only when i run out of present bb i might have...

my general objective is to bring ALL muslims within my influence(vassals). and after i create the "TRUE" muslim alliance, would attempt to HELP those allies(and vassals) expend further into europe :D . at same time i wuld be carefull that none of them would get too MUCH bb wich could impediment their expansion further. when ai gets a big size they generally get "dumber" due to the engine mechanics, BUT the player can always "help" along with troops including against rebels :)

i would try discover maya ASAP, becouse like that they are more likelly to convert from paganism to my own religion( thus riped for possible vasalship) :)

I'm playing on Very Hard/Weakling

I refuse to do veryhard/normal+ on this mod, as it always makes everyone dow me for having like 4 BB! But yea, I solo'd genoa though, and their a non-entity. I'm actually trying to go for something a bit different with that, and trying to take control of the Italian Peninsula, to avenge the Carthaginian Empire. I'm really glad marty is interested to, and I'm going to try and get a lot of people interested, and posting ideas, for what they think could be events etc. I'm going to script one myself to fix a few uh.. 'issues', I've run into. Mainly with my manpower being stupid low, my tech lagging a bit. *Not much really, but I am behind 1 army level the abbasid, they annexed egypt within a few years of me starting work on my new empire, I didn't know about the shipyard in morocco, so I just diplo annexed them in 1480, might have been oops o_O* I'm kind of screwed atm to be honest, as I have only 7 manpower maximum despite a huge empire *2nd largest in the world ATM!*. I actually refused to settle for anything less then genoa handing over all of it's islands, because I knew I didn't stand a chance against their navy without them. This makes their standing navy small, and weak.

As for my current ship limit: 250 galleys are suppourtable, but I'm really really close to barely passing by on my income, I've had to use my larger sums of money to get manufactories where I can, to increase my income, and make sure I don't get anymore inflation, I've used loans several times during my wars to avoid inflation, but I had 40 total religious revolts from sardinia and corsica *horrible luck for that*, but if your wondering I've gotten something like 19 state gift events in the past 100 years? I think that was the dice gods being in my favor =D! * I almost have max centralization to!* But, the worst thing is when I do get Morocco in the update you'll see he already colonized most of the territory, which is fine for culture, but the african cultures went and colonized the rest of it!, so mali, and a few others are huge, but I intend to wipe them out later. I'm going to go to war with Sicily very soon, but I need to fix the manpower thing, and FAST this bug is seriously irritating ME! My manpower, should not be 8 for owning 20+ provinces that are my culture!

As far as my gameplay style goes. I'm not all that aggressive, I like to play within historical plausibility, and try to act how I think my rulers would act. My ruler after Abu the Glorious was mediocre at best, and I really didn't expand that much during his reign, just put down many rebellions.

I promise to do a lot more conquering in the third portion of the AAR by the way, but I doubt you'd expect where I intend to conquer. I already have an 'unlikely' target lined up.
Army limit: 16

Navy Limit: 250

Poll Question: I want everyone's opinion on this.

Should I make the cultures in Sardinia and Corsica force convert to my culture, and give myself core on them? It follows the same principals as Malta/Sicily!

Yes: 0

Yes on Religious Conversion: 2

No: 0

I'll let you guys vote.

Special thanks to: MattyG for helping make this AAR possible!

Kind of irrelevant, but does anyone want to see me make an AGCEEP AAR, where I take control of a different nation every time one of my rulers dies? It's something I've been thinking of doing for a while now.

Last edited:
First of all, regarding Carthage, if you are serious of really doing related events, then you should remember that Byzantium and Carthage were two very different empires and ideas, not to mention imperial traditions. But any way, you will have to make it plausible in the sense of a cultural reawakening and the sultan's search for legitimacy in the face of centrifugal forces etc etc, via the "great legacy which has blessed this land in the times of the sons of Dido, of Hannibal etc.":).

About conquering Rome, I don't know about that really, maybe some vain glorious showing of the sultan would suffice but the people would be unimpressed. Although it should ensure a declaration of war from most of Europe:D. Hopefully a more succesfull alliance and crusade chain of events than the Andalusian one. (seeing the AI with 40 k troops in each province while Bavaria and co are landing via 5 small galleys is most depressing)

Regarding culture, I have to say that although I was very, VERY impressed with Interregnum's aspects in general, this was one of the things in which I found it to be a bit lacking.

What I mean is, you can't go around swapping cultures instantly or even in a hundred years for that matter. (for instance, the Balleares event: when being conquered by Italian naval powers, there is a choice for the religion and culture of the province to be changed instantly! I stress the word Instantly.) My suggestion is that culture change/add events should usually follow a succesfull religious conversion (yes, I know, it's no fun at 34% success rate, but it's a lot more plausible and challenging)

Good luck trying to beat down the Caliphate. They would've been a challenge by themselves. But with them beeing so HUGELY (and might I say unjustly) overboosted by events, tech, leaders etc., it will definitely not be an easy ride.

(A bit off topic)
In my view the entire area needs some serious restructuring, including the Il-khan events or the starting troubles of the Caliphate - which are ridiculously puny to say the least. There was virtually no game in which they were checked by anyone or anything unless I got directly involved.

Having said this, I'd like to thank MattyG and all the others for this great mod and I'm looking forward to its sequel.:)

Now, enough chatter on my part - On with the AAR!:D

Last edited:
Vandervecken said:
What I mean is, you can't go around swapping cultures instantly or even in a hundred years for that matter. (for instance, the Balleares event: when being conquered by Italian naval powers, there is a choice for the religion and culture of the province to be changed instantly! I stress the word Instantly.) My suggestion is that culture change/add events should usually follow a succesfull religious conversion (yes, I know, it's no fun at 34% success rate, but it's a lot more plausible and challenging)

For certain provinces like low population provinces it does make sense for early conversion events where the conquering country has some interest and would encourage settlers and conversions. In game terms if the culture doesn't switch then the provinces are useless as even with the right religion the tax rates are still low.

Edit: After loading my game I don't think it would be far to change the culture or religion of Corsica as its quite a productive province anyway and has a reasonably high population. Sardinia is a maybe.

Last edited:
Sardinia has already converted to Islam, which is why I was going to wait til both of them convert to Islam. I really need to know what is causing the issue.

Also, I don't want an instant culture conversion, as I've said I've owned sardinia/corsica long enough that their reasonably most likely a Muslim/Italian mix of culture by now.

Also, the only 'carthage' like event I wanted to do. Was crush the papal state, and take Rome. The warmongering pope, and his evil ways must be stopped =P. Corsica would lose -5000 population if it culture converts btw, to represent Christians fleeing.

A New Empire: Civil Strife, and a new Capitol

Under Abu Yusuf Ya'qub the II, the Empire has prospered to heights once thought impossible even by his ambitious father. He has formed an Empire to rival the claims of the Abbasid Caliphate itself. Yet, with the claim on this new title, also claim the problem of the cultural identity of these new people. His Empire was torn between two opposing sides, the traditionalists, and the more forward thinking members of society. He cared little for the tradition of the priests, and cared more so for moving his society towards a modernized state, as such under Abu Yusuf Ya'qub the II, the Empire made it's capitol in Sicily, allowing many great christian Sicilian Scholars to help him innovate in the Empire. Their new ideas allowed the Empire to begin towards a more modernized and secularized state, of course this wasn't without price.

ScreenSave0-1.jpg

The fruits of his innovation, and that of the Sicilian Scholars

Because, of his radical policies, and the movement of the capitol to Sicily, there was naught, but civil strife for many decades. He may have managed to gain the ability to help the Empire he had founded move towards a more modernized state, but he was unable to make this enlightened view accepted by most of his Empire.

ScreenSave1-1.jpg

King Abu Yusuf Yaqub the Glorious leading his army in battle against rebels.

The Moroccan Affair

Although his empire was in chaos, he understood the need to expand the reach of his Empire, and although he knew the technological state of his empire was pitiful at best. He knew that only through obtaining the unification of the Muslims in North Africa, could he manage to create an army large enough to defy the great christian kingdoms. Luck was on his side in the initial wars with the infidels, that would not be the case in the future he deemed.

He agressively pursued this diplomatic policy with the sultan of the Moroccans, telling him that only together, as a once again re-united Empire could they stand strong against the christian menace, they could not count on the other great Islamic powers to protect them.

For many years Abu the Glorious used diplomats, and even intervention by his own presence in their court to convince them, that only through their diplomatic re-union of their kingdoms could they re-attain their strength. But, the Moroccans were resentful of the new strength that the Almujadids had gained, and were very reluctantly to make any deal. For years, they only merely pledged to be vassals under the Almujadid Caliphate.

Nearing the end of his life, through massive monetary gifts, and unyielding persistence that they would be better off together, he accomplished his dream. The Moroccans and Almujadid's united into one unified North African Empire. Their territory was now almost the equal of the great Almohad Empire of Old, as well as that of Carthage. Their sovereignty, and status as a major power in the world was all but guaranteed now.

ScreenSave3-1.jpg

Abu Yusuf Ya'qubs last act as Caliphate

ScreenSave13-1.jpg

Map of the Almujadid Empire at the death of Abu Yusuf Ya'qub II

ScreenSave6-1.jpg

Death of Alu Yusuf Ya'qub, while negotiating a transfer of maps with the Mali

Last edited:
SO MANY RELIGIOUS REBELLIONS IN CORSICA/SARDINIA in that last rule. Dear god, did that heretic event fire an insane number of times! Give me the convert by the sword option please, I've killed them enough times. Oh well, I've converted Sardinia in this time period, but it took the heretics convert event, a while to fire. It's how I converted Sicily to, if your wondering.

I'm glad we gained Morocco, but as you may have noticed my max manpower is 8, and it's pitiful. It's caused by a bug that doesn't give me any manpower except from sicily, messina, and malta. It's really annoying! I'll do a 'a century of war' update on Europe, and the rest of the world soon.

A few things I didn't mention that are important: Egypt was taken over entirely by the Abbasid Caliphate, they also stole Cryencia when they declared war on Morocco years ago, and they were allied. *In the Al-Andalusian wars, the ones I stayed out of for lack of manpower/money*

Dell19 said:
For certain provinces like low population provinces it does make sense for early conversion events where the conquering country has some interest and would encourage settlers and conversions. In game terms if the culture doesn't switch then the provinces are useless as even with the right religion the tax rates are still low.

Edit: After loading my game I don't think it would be far to change the culture or religion of Corsica as its quite a productive province anyway and has a reasonably high population. Sardinia is a maybe.
I want some convert by the sword events for Italy, and I intend to make the populations drastically drop, as they all flee the invading Muslim armies. On a related note, I think I could take over the pope without any of the AI caring that much. Tuscany never joined the Hanseatic league, which makes it and Milan/Romagna, VERY tempting targets.

About the weird flags, I don't have a 100% clean install of my base EU 2, or rather I do but the graphics are messed up from an earlier mod, and I never bothered to uninstall the game just to fix the graphics, if someone had a correct set of base gfx, I'd gladly use them to fix it.

Last edited:
:p The quest for the pointy papal hat, oh right here's my event for Sardinia, if you guys wanted to see it!
event = {
id = 705157
random = no
country = ALM
trigger = {
owned = { province = 397 data = -1 }
event = 705003
event = 705110
atwar = no
stability = 1
provincereligion = { province = 397 data = sunni }
religion = sunni
}
name = "The Ethnic Conversion and Subjugation of Sardinia"
desc = "The People of Sardinia have long sought freedom, from those who have controlled them in the past and present. The Caliphate of Almujadid gave the Sardinian's a new outlook on their existence after their conversion to Islam, and granted them a considerable number of rights, and self-government. Overtime the people of Sardinia have come to identify themselves as Citizens of the Almujadid Empire. "
date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1508 }
offset = 200
deathdate = { day = 1 month = december year = 1819 }

action_a = {
name = "They are now our Brothers"
command = { type = provinceculture which = 397 value = delaware } #maghrebi
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 397 value = 2 } #Civil Unrest
command = { type = addcore which = 397 }

So in regards to the lack of events, eh if I don't have enough events, I'll just make my own! =D that's actually the first event I've ever made for EU 2, I haven't tested it yet, I'm going to go do so. LET US BRING OUR SARDINIAN BROTHERS INTO THE FOLD!

EDIT: YES! My event worked perfectly! *happy, happy* :p now I have 0.8 + manpower <.< and still none from the rest of my empire. -bangs head on keyboard*-

Actually really starting to catch up in tech now though, took a lot longer then I'd like though.. But, none of this matters unless I can fix my manpower somehow, I seriously couldn't feasibly win a war without fixing my manpower somehow, I 'could' probably take Apulia, but that's about it, at least it'd make wiping Sicilians out, a viable option.

Although, I have something planned to make the 'AAR' very interesting.

Anyone have issues with a 'gain' Moroccan Cores event, in 1520? If I own them?

Here is the code for the Moroccan Cores event, if I put it in.

event = {
id = 705158
random = no
country = ALM
trigger = {
owned = { province = 733 data = -1 }
owned = { province = 806 data = -1 }
owned = { province = 805 data = -1 }
owned = { province = 1595 data = -1 }
owned = { province = 1596 data = -1 }
owned = { province = 1597 data = -1 }
stability = 1

atwar = no
}
name = "The Almujadid Caliphate claims the Throne of Morocco"
desc = "The rising power of the Almujadid Caliphate resulted in their conquest of Morocco, the unification of the Barbary Coast, was viewed with great displeasure by the Abbasid Caliphate who was on increasingly bad relations with the Almujadid Caliphate. With the Barbary Coast now unified under one ruler, the Almujadid Empire has truly made good it's claim to being heirs to the Almohamads."
date = { year = 1520 }
offset = 100
deathdate = { year = 1820 }

action_a = {
name = "We are the rulers of the Barbary Coast!"
command = { type = addcore which = 732 }
command = { type = addcore which = 733 }
command = { type = addcore which = 806 }
command = { type = addcore which = 805 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1595 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1596 }
command = { type = addcore which = 1597 }
command = { type = relation which = CAL value = -50 }
command = { type = badboy value = 3 }
EDIT 2: It refuses to take pictures of any screen in which an event fires, any idea why that is guys?

Last edited: