• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bodhi

Captain
56 Badges
Feb 14, 2013
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
I've played thousands of hrs of CK2, modded and unmodded, and in each game Christianity is powerful (if it's not in major decline). It is so alluring to my vassals and other kingdoms that they willfully convert to Christianity. Sometimes during wars they'll convert to save their bums and invalidate a war they're losing to a Christian, sometimes they just decide to drop paganism at peace time. Whenever I play as a pagan, I often struggle to just keep my realm pagan as vassals decide they want to become Christian, even if our unreformed religion is pretty strong (moral authority)

I'm wondering, as I approach reformation:

In my current game, playing as Norse/Germanic, is there any way I (as a player) can emulate this powerful influence unto the AI Christian factions? Can I do anything to make Paganism so powerful that the whole of Christianity willful decides to drop Christianity in favour of paganism?

The more recent Religious Reformation mechanics saw some interesting religions customizations which sound as though they may help? The Dogma one, fe, and the ones that enable you to send missionaries. I've never tried these, are they worth it? Will they have the effct I'm looking for? I don't really want to be microing all this myself tho, sending out missionaries and such, because that will just become tedious. If the missionary options do work, will other Pagan lords send out missionaries (en mass) converting Christians? Or will I be stuck with the tedious task myself?

Any tips?

• 3Like
Reactions:
You can't send missionaries to christian realms. However, with Christian Syncretism you can play marriage game with say, France and put your own pagan kinsman on their throne. Currently most natures convert all provinces *if* character has high zeal. If you want to convert provinces quickly and make sure that all your vassals send chaplains, choose Proselytizing.
Doctrines (jncluding natures and leadership) were overhauled some time ago, but Dogmatic still isn't awesome; sure, zealous lords convert non-pagan provinces, too, but it's still meme doctrine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I may consider giving Syncretism a try, as my main reason for wanting to convert (rather than destroy realms) is that I'd like to preserve some European variety/cultures. rather than boringly make the entire map Norse. It's a shame that the mechanics regarding this don't offer a few more options. I mean, I currently have Ireland literally surrounded. You'd think one or two Irish Christian rulers would see the futility and try to preserve their own realm by offering to convert. In fact, I wish there was a way to offer a realm peace IF they agreed to convert, or something. Nothing too strong and OP but, under extreme conditions, it'd be cool to be able to bully the AI into conversion. Ssometimes at least. But I understand that could have balance issue in favour of Paganism - at least if it wasn't implemented _very_ sparingly.

Oh well, thanks.

Last edited: