• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ringers

Major
26 Badges
Dec 29, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
Hi,
So I thought I would have some fun the other day and try a Australia game where I turn them fascist. Was able to change the government and join the AXIS not a problem there. But where are the Allies, no American naval presence at all, where is the UK Navy ships Prince of Wales and Repulse or UK troops for defending Singapore and then Japan don't invade Hawaii wtf. As Australia I landed in Hawaii in 1943 and the USA had zero troops, planes or even ships defending it, huh. Ok now lets try invading the West of USA, mmm can't do that as game is telling me that the zones North East Pacific & North Central Pacific are out of range for my ships from Hawaii. I don't completely understand how this mechanic works, the zone that is out of range is the one next to Hawaii so ??? (doctrine issue maybe)

After the number of years since release it seems that PDI still haven't made any development to the game in the Pacific Theatre. Apart from giving Japan the ability to island hop but then also don't join the Axis (this might be a event thing for this game). Yes the UK had limited presence after the fall of Singapore and the Malaysia Peninsula but where are the USA. Where are the Carriers from Peral Harbor or the sunk Battleships & Destroyers, where's General Douglas McCarthy who helped save Papua, Australia, Solomon Islands and the Philippines etc..?

According Wikipedia there was approximately 36 million casualties in the Pacific or 50% of the total for WWII. So what about some event's or AI knowledge for the attack of Peral Harbor, Battle of the Coral Sea (first time the Japanese were suffered defeat), Battle of Midway, Battle of Iwo Jima etc... I understand HOI IV isn't designed to copy famous battles from WWII I'm only mentioning these instances to stress the importance of these battles to the success of the Allies in WII. So the Pacific Theatre deserves some urgent attention for a game that offers players the chance to play in WWII but in it's current state it's really only half of WWII. I understand that most players play in the European Theatre but that shouldn't matter and this could also be why because it's boring and nothing happens.

On a sperate note Australia & Papua seem to have the correct amount of low manpower, however PDI should give them more natural resources. Particularly Australia as it's one of the biggest producers of different mining resources in the world and Papua has the Boungainville mine which at one point was one of the biggest copper mines in the world.

Hears hoping the Pacific get some love soon.

Reactions:
game is telling me that the zones North East Pacific & North Central Pacific are out of range for my ships from Hawaii. I don't completely understand how this mechanic works, the zone that is out of range is the one next to Hawaii so ???

Did you reassign your home naval base to Hawaii? I believe it was still in Australia.

Hears hoping the Pacific get some love soon.

Think its a matter of AI strategy. Wonder if anyone has done any mod's regarding this. Expert AI?

I think the western allies AI is setup to save the soviet union before it capitulates. So that means its focused on fighting Italy and Germany.

where is the UK Navy ships Prince of Wales and Repulse or UK troops for defending Singapore

In my first and only Japan campaign I played so far, less than 2 months after attacking Singapore (which was decently defended BTW), I had a visit from a Royal Navy in force. 3 carriers, 4 BB's, 50+ ships total. Since my main fleets were deployed in central Pacific fishing for the Americans, it took me a while to redeploy and chase the British down, so they had some time to actually do some damage. That was quite a surprise.
On the other hand, the Americans were really passive. There was plenty of their subs all around from day 1, but they're easy to deal with, so the threat was gone in 2-3months. But they essentially gave up the fight for Pacific and island hopping was boring, as there was no opposition. They didn't even defend Hawaii (no fleet, 1 division garrison). I kept searching for the main American fleet for a few months as it was nowhere to be seen. Then, accidentally, after finishing unopposed invasion of New Zealand, I discovered they were covering South East Pacific, the stretch of waters east of Fiji to the Straits of Magellan.
I'm planning to play that campaign again soon, wondering if that is a consistent AI strategy or will it look different this time.

I’ve been trying to play as Communist China historically. The USA are too late to the party. Japan take the Raj and then the Tibetan Empire pops up. Usually Japan take New Zealand and Australia. China falls and the United Front falls with her. No Chinese civil war ever and I blame the Americans. I can drive the Japs off if I do it early enough, but if this is after ‘41 the Nat Chinese AI doesn’t want white peace as the US and Britain are involved. Plus defeating the Japanese means Nat China win. Need US nukes

Last edited:
i have seen japan conquer everything between morocco and australia because the allies where completely ignoring them. this happens pretty much every game where i do not destroy japan myself.

In my first and only Japan campaign I played so far, less than 2 months after attacking Singapore (which was decently defended BTW), I had a visit from a Royal Navy in force. 3 carriers, 4 BB's, 50+ ships total. Since my main fleets were deployed in central Pacific fishing for the Americans, it took me a while to redeploy and chase the British down, so they had some time to actually do some damage. That was quite a surprise.
On the other hand, the Americans were really passive. There was plenty of their subs all around from day 1, but they're easy to deal with, so the threat was gone in 2-3months. But they essentially gave up the fight for Pacific and island hopping was boring, as there was no opposition. They didn't even defend Hawaii (no fleet, 1 division garrison). I kept searching for the main American fleet for a few months as it was nowhere to be seen. Then, accidentally, after finishing unopposed invasion of New Zealand, I discovered they were covering South East Pacific, the stretch of waters east of Fiji to the Straits of Magellan.
I'm planning to play that campaign again soon, wondering if that is a consistent AI strategy or will it look different this time.
It seems that due to variables in the game that you may or may not get a UK fleet in the area and 100% there isn't any USA presence at all and this is very disappointing and frankly shouldn't be happening due to the maturity of the game. But instead from PDI we get paid boring DLC focus trees.

Reactions:
It seems that due to variables in the game that you may or may not get a UK fleet in the area and 100% there isn't any USA presence at all and this is very disappointing and frankly shouldn't be happening due to the maturity of the game. But instead from PDI we get paid boring DLC focus trees.

Oh, so you mean the US never fights in the Pacific? That'd be really silly.

Pacific theatre is unplayable in vanilla, mostly cause the American AI has no idea how to deal with navy and it simply disappears from the theatre. Imo, the only way to enjoy the pacific war (and the whole game) is with mods: Heart of Oak (the best regarding the navy, but too scripted), Expert AI, Total war.

Reactions:
Even Expert AI cannot fix bad naval AI. Main issues are:
  • AI scrapping partially constructed ships - lot of ships from game start or Japan takes focus for Yamato and Musashi and scrap them immediately - NOT modable
  • USA AI leaves pacific after a few battles - I am not sure if modable
  • AI can naval blockade only via subs - when they missing subs, they can have total naval dominance and still leave your trade and supply unoposed - NOT modable

• 1Like
Reactions: