• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Three: The tranquility before the storm (1461-1462)

In spite of the lavish celebrations that followed his coronation Henry VII was very aware of the fact that his crown was highly insecure. Many magnates of the realm although not openly hostile at the moment viewed and would continue to view him as a usurper as long as Henry VI and his son remained at large. Since the leaders of the Lancastarian cause where out of his reach in France the young king could do little else than bite his time and wait for their inevitable invasion of England to settle the scores. In the meantime gaining support as broad as possible while denying his adversary foreign support had to be the top priority. For this Henry VII undertook a most remarkable line towards Henry Beaufort. The defiant noble had surrendered together with the remaining Calais garrison only two weeks after Henry's accession. He was lucky that his captor John Neville, Lord Montagu, was allegedly not as bloodthirsty as his brother Warwick, and sent him to London to await the judgment of the king. Incredibly enough the king not only pardoned him but received him into his grace and restored him to his estates and titles. This show of generosity towards one of the most bitter enemies of his father has irritated a lot of latter historians. Henry VII however was a complex figure. He was equipped not only with good lucks but also with a considerable charm and talent to win people over. Also winning a man of so well known Lancastarian connection would have probably increased his standing among the peers still weary of his rule to a not negligible extent.
After having elevated his three brothers to new titles befitting their new station as close royal relatives (Edward was created duke of Bedford, Edmund duke of Suffolk, George duke of Clarence and the his youngest nine year old brother Richard duke of Gloucester) he sent an embassy to his brother in-law John II asking him to refrain from supporting the "seditious rebel Henry of Lancaster" (meaning Henry VI) and the "felonious band of brigands" in his pay.*
At the same time he informed himself of the newest developments within the Scottish kingdom. Young king John had been doing his best to live up to his infamous English namesake. Displaying a foolish arrogance and a disdain for the ancient liberties and privileges of the nobility he was increasingly treading on thin ice. Already major nobles where plotting to put his brother James (a minor of ten years) on the throne and civil war threatened to spread Britain's second realm. And Henry's mind was beginning to work on plans to exploit this weakness of Scottish royal authority.

For the moment however his main focus lay on France once again. There Margaret of Anjou had been enthusiastically greeted by the Parisians as she made her entry into the capital of her home country and at once began working on her cousin Francis to support a venture to restore her husband and her son to their rightful inheritance. She did not have a hard time. Francis once again had a grand vision before him. He would restore Henry VI to his throne. In return a grateful Henry would enter into a military alliance with the aim of overthrowing the Burgundian state. After dismembering the later England would cede Calais to Francis. England in turn might be compensated with the Burgundian provinces of Zeeland and Holland.**
Thus a grand expedition was planned for 1462.

i3_0001.jpg
Margaret of Anjou's entry into Paris 1461. Her cousin Francis I proved very keen to capitalize on the dynastic struggle in England.​

In Britain in the mean time (September 1461) Henry VII finally had John II where he wanted to have him. By now openly threatened with rebellion and death the proud, yet cowardly John was now desperately seeking a way out of the disastrous situation into which he had maneuvered himself. Henry offered him a costly one. If he where to submit to Henry and acknowledge him as his sovereign lord, he would take him under his protection. Left with little choice John accepted and publicly payed homage to Henry in York on October 8th. In exchange Henry furnished him with a bodyguard of 200 English archers and publicly stated to treat anyone who rose against "our most humble subject and brother John of Scotland" as a traitor. To the nobles of Scotland however he was quick to point out that as John liege he was ready to hear the grievances they held against them and provide remedies against them. Thus John lost the de-facto rule over his country to his English brother in-law.*** Furthermore he was obliged by Henry to keep a Scottish force of 200 men at arms and 1.800 archers in readiness to support Henry in his upcoming struggle against Lancaster.

As Winter made way for the Spring in 1462 Henry moved his residence to Nottingham castle. Due to it's central location it was ideal to counter any landing of his foes. As he withdrew into the royal chambers of the keep he knew that the upcoming weeks would decide his fate...

Notes:

* This diplomatic pressure on Scotland is my narrative representations of two gifts to Scotland.
** In reality such a proposal was actually made to the Earl of Warwick, acting as ambassador of Edward IV, several times during the 1460s by Louis XI. However it cam to nothing since Edward IV preference lay with an alliance with Burgundy against France and not the other way round.
*** I vassalized Scotland as you might have guessed. :D

And after this brief teaser of things yet to come: Some Feedback!

merrick:First of all thanks for all the praise! The era of the Wars of the Roses is actually one of my favorite periods in history on which in constantly read (just finished a biography of Louis XI). And your right war with France is yet to come. But at the moment Henry VII is so insecure at home that he can't think of foreign adventures. You also correctly observed that I started at war with France at the beginning of the game. However I quickly ended it by ceding Gascony (something I usually have to do anyway) to be done with it.

And where Somerset is concerned. Did a "logic-bug" slip into my story-line there? I'll check on that tomorrow. Time-traveling Lancastarians would be a little to much even for a monarch as good as Henry VII. :p

Milites: Glad you like the title. :p I hope you enjoy the rest of the AAR just as much. :)

English Patriot: Thanks for commenting! This has actually reminded me of something I have been wanting to do for months: Read your AAR! :D

Impressive, most impressive, not just the progress but also the writing and the tying in off real history. I look forward to you continuing. :)

Really, really well done.

I'm very impressed. Would love to know what happens next...

Don't let the noble House of York be beaten!

Henry VII is an awesome monarch after all. :D

Also, if I remember correctly I think Magna Mundi will be much kinder to an England ruled by a skilled monarch. At some point the War of the Roses will pretty much end on its own with little damage done if your Henry -- or some other monarch with equally good stats -- survives.

Edit: I realized the last update was two months ago. Is this dead? :(

hmm, yeah, it seems this AAR is hibernating

shame, I really like the style of history book writing, mixing historical figures with ahistorical ones :)