• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hate the "luck" mechanic. Lazy/poor programming mechanic...

Thought it was clear but I guess not. No luck. Just let all the nations fall where they may.

I disagree with the decision to insult this by calling it lazy, and then suggest as a better idea, doing even less.

I'm not saying your idea is bad or that I have any strong feelings for or against the Lucky Nations mechanic, just that you don't gotta insult the people who made it by calling them lazy.

Reactions:
I disagree with the decision to insult this by calling it lazy, and then suggest as a better idea, doing even less.

I'm not saying your idea is bad or that I have any strong feelings for or against the Lucky Nations mechanic, just that you don't gotta insult the people who made it by calling them lazy.
It is an arbitrary and blunt object method to achieve stronger results for given tags which compensates for less effective and more complicated methods, like better AI programming, better game design and set up. It is the literal definition of lazy. Good lord with everyone these days and the "insults". I did not insult anyone. It just is what it is...an easier path of less resistance to achieve a less targeted outcome which avoids a much more complex solution.

Reactions:
It is an arbitrary and blunt object method to achieve stronger results for given tags which compensates for less effective and more complicated methods, like better AI programming, better game design and set up. It is the literal definition of lazy. Good lord with everyone these days and the "insults". I did not insult anyone. It just is what it is...an easier path of less resistance to achieve a less targeted outcome which avoids a much more complex solution.
You complain about the need for better AI programming, but the AI has in fact improved massively in the patches since 1.30 til today. The AI is blobbing very effectively.

Reactions:
In my current game, the Ottomans got so trashed that they were almost kicked out of Europe. In 12 years in the late 1600's, they lost almost all of Greece to Mantua, Albania had a field day, and at any one time half their provinces were rebels. I'd say they lost 1/3 of their provinces in those 12 years.

I have still, in 5,000+ hours of the game, never seen the Ottomans die unless I had something to do with it.

They may rarely lose an early war if they've declared on an Albania with a strong alliance network (Say Venice and Hungary have guaranteed them and they've allied Aragon) but it's usually just for a handful of provinces they recover from.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I have still, in 5,000+ hours of the game, never seen the Ottomans die unless I had something to do with it.

They may rarely lose an early war if they've declared on an Albania with a strong alliance network (Say Venice and Hungary have guaranteed them and they've allied Aragon) but it's usually just for a handful of provinces they recover from.
Play to 1700 now

In my current game in 1615, they took quantity, admin, offensive, espionnage, quality. They bloobed like crazy. Their force limit is 390 whereas Commonwealth, Austria, and France together, which are great powers #2, #4 and #5 behind the Otto field together less than 350 as force limit (I'm GP #3 but voluntary playing small and tall).
Last war, they are loosing 1.5 M troops by battles plus attrition but still have no mercenaries, 300k engaged and 250k in manpower reserve. This is ridiculous tbh.
They have 2400 dev and Commonwealth 1300.

I've played this game close to 2000 hours, not a single time have I ever seen the Ottomans fail to blob like crazy. The Mamluks are just not capable of beating the Ottomans in an AI to AI fight. the Ottomans always win they've never lost. The only times the Mamluks have actually done anything is when you've personally killed them

• 1Like
Reactions:
On what difficulty are you playing? I always play on very hard with historical lucky nations and during the last 500 hours in all my campaigns the Ottos blobbed like hell and no one stopped them. They usually get Arabia, expand to the steppes and north Africa. In my current Norse campaign they became military hegemon by 1610 with over 1 million soldiers. Maybe in lower diff settings it's different. Saying this I dont mind their strength, rebuilding the Roman Empire was fun in the latest patch with Byzantium, but it can be tedious to hold back constant 200-400 stacks...

Reactions:
On what difficulty are you playing? I always play on very hard with historical lucky nations and during the last 500 hours in all my campaigns the Ottos blobbed like hell and no one stopped them. They usually get Arabia, expand to the steppes and north Africa. In my current Norse campaign they became military hegemon by 1610 with over 1 million soldiers. Maybe in lower diff settings it's different. Saying this I dont mind their strength, rebuilding the Roman Empire was fun in the latest patch with Byzantium, but it can be tedious to hold back constant 200-400 stacks...
On hard and lucky. But I often play minors only and use house rule don't ally with majors, or at least don't call them in offensive war.
On hard because I want to see the effect of AI out of manpower! That's open more ways of winning. Currently playing Serbia, need to find every last bit of manpower!

Debt doesn't cause issues for the player either.

Maybe not directly, but indirectly it affects the likelihood of an ally answering your call to arms. I don't find it as bad as it used to be. But it is still there, and often enough to be a nuisance. In debt, can't answer. Fine.

But then shortly afterwards that reluctant ally goes off in his own offensive war, debt or no debt.

You can easily disable it in settings.

"But what about my achievements"?

You can also easily enable achievements through steam mods.
The latter is definitely cheating. I think most people would draw a line way before doing that since achievements becomes meaningless once you can toggle them on and off.

Who cares though? Cheevos are personal, hopefully you have fun doing it, or you have fun watching a streamer/youtuber/etc do it and then maybe try to replicate.

I'm not looking at random steam accounts or reddit/paradox/etc and checking who has done which achievements.

Plus even really basic stuff like modding country colours breaks cheevos for ironman. If you Ate Your Greens, but modded Kale to be your favourite shade of burnt orange, cheat away imo