• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

grekulf

Stellaris Game Director
Paradox Staff
34 Badges
Aug 13, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Magicka
  • Paradox Order
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Starvoid
  • IPO Investor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
Hello!

We're doing a series of Q&A sessions, as described in Dev Diary 165. The topic of next week's dev diary will be Origins, and we want your questions!

If you want to read up on Origins, we posted a lot of information in Dev Diary #160.

The point of this thread is to gather your questions regarding the Origins in the upcoming expansion and free update. We will be taking your questions and answering them in a dev diary next week.

Only questions related to the topic will be answered, but there will be an opportunity to ask more general questions later.

If you want a greater chance of having your question answered, please keep your questions simple to read, and separated, as that will make it easier to process them :)

I have a few :)

Will there be any drawbacks to picking a machine world start?

What do you think about a 2 colony start? Like if Mars was habitable, but had the wrong climate, and you start with that?

Somewhat related, that I actually brought up on a random Origin thread a while back before we knew all the details. But since this is a special civic, could there be a Driven Assimilater variant for Hive minds?

Last edited:
Hello,

thank you for the opportunity to ask questions.

Ringworld origin:

Does it count as a megastructure, and such, increase the odds of rolling the megastructure tech ?
Do we have a way to repair the other sections earlier through events/anomalies, or do we have to wait for mega engineering?
Is the decision to be able to repair only 3 sections final ?

Galactic doorstep:

Does the gateway leads to a unique system or is it a simple gateway ?

Void dwellers:

Are the 3 habitats inhabited at the beginning of the game?

Scion:

Can we have more details on the unique vassalage contract in this case ?

Can the Origin of a randomly appearing AI empire be set to Doomsday?

Are there any novels or movies that inspired Doomsday?

Will there be additional preset empires that look good on a special Origin?

If there are many empires with Scion Origins, are you likely to be a vassal of the same Fallen Empire?

Are there any events related to each Origin?
(If there are no events or archeological sites, Lost Colony thinks that there is no difference from simply spawning two empires of the same Species in the current galaxy)

Are you planning to add more Origins after Federations to match the concept of the DLC being launched?

Is there any idea for a 'changed climate' origin? Such as, your founder species has Ocean Preference, but you're on a Desert Homeworld? Two of the premade empires, the Voor and the Chinorr, would already fit this.

Will you make some civics aside from their percentage bonus appear as additional factions or have them replace exsiting ones?

For example the mining guild just gives a bonus to minerals but the description says they have a lot of political power. Wouldn't it make sense to have them replace the most suitable faction like the prosperity faction or maybe let them be an additional faction so they actually have demands backed by some politcal power. There are other civics that have similar descriptions like the Distinguished Admiralty, Slavers Guilds and maybe Aristrocratic Elite could have a court faction that protects their privilages.

Scion: Start as the vassal of a Fallen Empire.

Can you give us more info about this orgin. is it available to all empires or locked for some, which fallen empires will have vassals and what does it cost the subjected empire? (no wars?)

Galactic Doorstep: Start with a dormant Gateway in your home system

will you be able to activate the gateway without the technology (for example by a anomaly project on the gateway)

On the Shoulder of Giants: Investigate a series of Archaeological Sites related to a mysterious benefactor. (Federations)

Why can gestalds no get this origin? It really fits with machine empires.
EJvZYggX0AAI1DD

Void Dwellers: Start on a Habitat above your destroyed, former homeworld, and with 2 more habitats in your home system.

same question as above, Why can hivemind not pick this one. I would like to play as a bee-hive empire.

Not much to ask, really, since the basics of the Origins have been laid out and you've already indicated that we'll have to discover the nitty-gritty details ourselves (such as event chains). However, I do have a modding-related question:

Q: How deeply integrated with other game files will Origins be? I.e. how easy will it be to create separate Origin mods without causing a file conflict?

Could you share any origins that were considered, but rejected for one reason or another?

Did/would you ever considered including one or two other “generic” origins, as opposed to just prosperous unification?

In regards to the lost Colony Origin: Will there be events and/or Diplomatic Modifiers linking you to the other empire? Something i didn't like with the Commonwealth of man in the Base Game was that the United Nations usually disliked you since you were Xenophobe and vice versa, despite you being members of the same species originating from the same planet not so long ago.
I hope that was somewhat understandable.

Would you consider adding additional origins in future updates and DLC?

How frequently will generated AI empires have a none default origin?

is the AI able to cope with the different starts granted to it by origins? (looking at you, voidborn)

Question regarding Tree of Life: How exactly does the sappling work? Do we get another Tree of life with the same benefits on newly colonized and conquered planets? I hope this will still allow us to Terraform to Hive worlds with Tree of Life on them, as I don't want this origin to force me into some kind of happy-plant-people Hivemind with Gaia worlds.
Any chances you will bring Hive worlds on par with Machine worlds as they don't have a -10% housing usage modifier? Also what about making Terraforming to Hive worlds cheaper, you decreased Terraform time for Gaia worlds aswell as cost, but Hiveminds, which are struggeling with Energy output got no help, while Machines are already drowning in Energy anyway so they can always Terraform.

Will there be origins that allow for special tech, that is otherwise unobtainable? For example, could a Fallen Empire share tech for Fallen empire buildings with you if you choose the Scion start?

What is the reasoning behind not allowing Habitat Start for Gestalts? I'm sure lots of people would have enjoyed playing a Hivemind organism escape from a secret Laboratory Habitat.