• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Artair will meet with his courtiers/nobles and begin gathering provisions for any needed march either north or west with his army.

Alric Henging shall travel to Lothian in order to witness the fight against the barbarians.

Turn 7

MOVEMENT
Free Movement
Earl Alfred (Janha) : Middlesex > Buckingham > Warwick
Alric Henging (Dadarian) Kent > Essex > Lothian​

Rushed Movement
Earl Adrian & Sæthryd (adriankowaty) Kent > Scarborough > Berwick
Regent Alfred (BlackCrown**) : Scarborough > Berwick > Lothian​

COMPLETED ORDERS
none

ONGOING ORDERS

Raise Army to Defend York
Type: Martial
Actors: Johan of Anglia [++] (Adamgerd)
Wealth: <all> in York
Difficulty: Imminent Threat[+]
Modifiers: Base [++]​

Raise Army to Defend Lothian
Actors: Lord Barnett [-] (BlackCrown**)
Wealth: <all> in Lothian
Difficulty: Imminent Threat[+], Multiple Orders [-]
Modifiers: Base [+]​

Raise Army to Aid the North
Actors: Alfric of Suffolk [+++] (DragonOfAtlantis)
Difficulty: none
Modifiers: Base [-]​

Raise Army to Subdue Welsh
Actors: Wulfric of Warwick [+++] (Janha)
Modifiers: Base [---]​

Raise Provisions for Potential Army
Type: Stewardship
Actors: Earl Artair (Sneakyflaps) [+] (Janha)
Difficulty: Call for Volunteers [-]
Modifiers: Base [-]​

Raise Taxes in Middlesex
Actors: Earl Leofræd [++] (Schlieffen)
Difficulty: Low Taxes [+]
Modifiers: Base [--], Historically No Taxes [-]​

EVENTS
The Rallying of England: United by a common foe, the nobility of England rally around the crown. Triple stability for all realms. (Balance purposes. From now on, players should be careful not to let their stability drop below 1.)

Raiders Organized: The bulk of the northerners are still gathering, but a few scattered tribes have organized raiding parties to test England's defenses.

Last edited:
Turn 8

MOVEMENT
Free Movement
Earl Alfred (Janha) : Buckingham > Oxford > Warwick
Alric Henging (Dadarian) : Essex > Cambridge > Lothian
Regent Alfred (BlackCrown) : Berwick > Lothian​

Rushed Movement
Earl Adrian & Sæthryd (adriankowaty) Scarborough > Berwick​

COMPLETED ORDERS
none

ONGOING ORDERS
Raise Army to Defend York
Actors: Johan of Anglia [++] (Adamgerd)
Wealth: <all> in York
Modifiers: Base [+++]​

Raise Army to Defend Lothian
Actors: Lord Barnett [-] (BlackCrown)
Wealth: <all> in Lothian

Raise Army to Aid the North
Actors: Alfric of Suffolk [+++] (DragonOfAtlantis)
Modifiers: Base [+++]​

Raise Army to Subdue Welsh
Actors: Wulfric of Warwick [+++] (Janha)
Modifiers: Base [--]​

Raise Provisions for Potential Army
Actors: Earl Artair (Sneakyflaps) [+] (Janha)
Difficulty: Call for Volunteers [-]

Raise Taxes in Middlesex
Actors: Earl Leofræd [++] (Schlieffen)
Difficulty: Low Taxes [+]
Modifiers: Base [+], Historically No Taxes [-]​

Turn nine.
As soon as he reaches his estate at Berwick, Adrian calls a meeting of elders of families and matured men (called wiec among Slavs), asking Saethryd to join it too.
My fellow subjects and inhabitants of this Earldom, he starts speaking, for first note I am afraid that we are in danger now. According to what I was told in King's Court, Scots are planning an invasion on ous and even managed to organized first raiding and scouting parties too. I am here to organize preparation of defence of our lands.
First and most important thing is to train and arm properly able people to defend our earldom. Oswald -
Adrian turned his head before not so long ago hired smith - take this gold - he gives him equiqvalent of 25 units of wealth - buy materials, hire workers if needed and try to prepare weaponry and armor for our troops. I know that arming people is rare practice here and people are just required to arm themselves, but we don't have time to let them arm themselves. Also, for proper defence, enstablishing a permament unit with decently given weaponry and armour is what civilized state does. Try to forge at least 300 helmets, 200 armours - be it a chainmail or chainmail skirt preferably, 100 light leather armours, 100 swords, 200 one-handed axes, 200 spears and 200 shilds. Those all will be given to our troops, which should contain of 300 men - including infantrymen at number of 200 people, armed with helmet, chainmall or chainskirt, sword or one-handed axe, spear and shild.
Leofric -
Adrian said to Fletcher - take this gold - gives him 15 units of wealth - hire workers, buy materials and make 100 bows and about 20 arrows per one bow, preferable short ones. Among our 300 soldiers, 100 soldiers will serve as archers, having bow, axe, pack of 20 arrows per man, light leather armour and helmet.
Those 300 soldiers will be our permament defence force. I'll train them personally - we'll have to teach infantrymen (or shildmen, as my people used to call them) to fight in defensive formation called schiltron - or shildwall - to hide before enemy arrows and other projectiles. Each spearmen will be required to keep formation with his collegue from line, as formation should be as dense as possible. We'll stand between homes - at least in that manner, to have our flanks and backs secured, and village being defended and we will try to defend the village itself. Archers will be trained to hide and find good spot for shooting upon enemy - be it on home's roof or any other high and secured place.
For me -
Adrian tells to Oswald and Leofric and gives one additional wealth unit to each of those two - I'd ask for shild, sword, chainmail, helmet and spear. I'll fight among you - as commander - to make sure that you will be properly commanded on battlefield.
For those who remain without arms, I ask you to gather as much food reserve as possible in Berwick's granary, hide within village with old, weak, ill, children and women. I don't want to let you be harmed too and I think that we have to defend you too. Gather crops and livestock - if you don't, it either be burned or eaten by Scots - and hide them in Berwick too.
Saethryd, please decide: will you stay hidden in village, or will you join ous in defence?
- I will stay in village and help to wounded and ill.
Good. So let's do as much as possible for letting our people survive this time. Good luck!

Alfric joins with the Duchy of Lothian in fighting off the barbarian hordes.
The Duchy of Cant holds a dispassionate court.

Wulf, Earl of Lancaster and York raises a tax in Lancaster and York, asking the people to accept the increased taxation as with the northern raids, the realm must be prepared to plunge into war

Alfric will take the assembled levies to march to the North. (Assuming that they are ready to actually be used.)
Aethelwold shall attempt to repair relations with the local merchants and work out favorable deals.

Wulfric is happy with his work and thinks that he finally has enough men to assemble a great army (finish the order: Raise Army to Subdue Welsh)! He will lead it personally, just as his father has wished.

EADWIG travels across England - south, towards Winchester. He stops on the way at major cities, monuments, monasteries in order to suit his voyaging dreams, and get away from the boredom of ruling, at the cost of making his travel quite slow. (Free order, 1 prov. per turn, Lincoln to King's Court)

HEREWEALD, the scholarly heir and Keykeeper (Regent) of Lincoln begins his reign over the province. With great vision and ambition, Hereweald starts mapping out his ideas, surveying the Shiredom, and building up an effective administration for major future reforms. (Prep order)

Turn 9
<stats update pending>

Adamgerd
Earl Wulf raises taxes in Lancaster & York. [1 tax in Lancaster, 2 in York]
Johan raises an army in Lancaster & York. (special, free) [16 Units raised] [-1 Prosperity]

adriankowaty
Earl Adrian spends 42 Wealth to raise an army. [21 Units raised]

BlackCrown
NO ORDERS

Cleeque
Hereweald surveys Lincoln in preparation for future reforms. [Extremely Prepared: +1 on administration-related order]
Earl Eadwig > Northampton (free)

Dadarian
Lathewald Mul attempts to raise Stability. [Stability in Kent increased to +3]
Alfric > Isle of Ely (free)

DragonOfAtlantis
Alfric raises levies in Norfolk & Suffolk. [42 Units raised] [-1 Prosperity]

Firehound15
NO ORDERS

Janha
Wulfric raises levies in Warwick & Worcester. [37 Units raised] [-1 Prosperity]

Schlieffen
Earl Leofræd raises taxes in Buckingham & Middlesex. [2 Taxes in Buckingham & Middlesex]

Sneakyflaps
NO ORDERS

NPC Actions
Raiders(2) > Roxburgh
Raiders(3) > Durham

Final preparations are made as tribal armies gather in Dal Riata.
The king of Strathclyde sends messengers out to gather a proper army.
Powys increases patrols along the English border.
Gwynedd increases patrols along the English border.

Last edited:
Turn 9
<order results pending>

adriankowaty
Earl Adrian spends 40 Wealth to raise an army. <results>
42 (because I decided to arm myself too ;).

Turn ten,
Adrian calls the wiec again:
Dear subjects, as raising troops for an army turned into good results, I've decided to arrange a tax to mantain those troops. It'll be 4 units per province, leaving positive balance of Berwick's budget per se. On another views, I'll order building palisade around Berwick, which should be big enough to circle farmlands and livestock herds along village too. For this thing, 20 units of wealth will be spend and Saethryd will be responsible for managing of the task, including cutting down enough trees and organizing lumber camps, carving down the logs and placing them in proper order.
I'll, on another hand, try to reorganize troops and regulate system of organisation of those. From now on, those 300 soldiers of our army will be reorganized into three units, consisting of 100 soldiers each - first one will be composed of 34 archers and 66 spearmen, another of 33 archers and 67 spearmen and the last of 33 archers and 67 spearmen. The regular payment will be one and third of wealth unit per one unit, with total of 4 units of wealth for all. As we see the risk of having our domain under attack, we'll organize patrols, which will be responsible of scouting border looking for incoming scots - one patrol will consist of 10 men from one unit, meaning 4 archers and six spearmen. Now, I'll train troops to prepare them for defence - aswell as order those to help building up palisade around Berwick too.
Last thing is, while we raise those taxes for mantaining army and the state, we will also keep having wieces being called regularly - those will turn into ealdom's big council, with all new policies being voted on by the council on the rule of majority, with the earl having one vote too.

(Whoops, looks like I forgot to move Alfred to Warwick last turn)
Alfred finally arrives at his home castle, after a long trip filled with numerous visits to taverns that happened to be between Kent and Warwick. Alfred doesn't have time to rest at home, no matter how exhausting his journey was. He has to write letters to the many rulers of Wales. Rather aggressive letters, as the barbarians must be made to pay tribute to the Anglo-Saxon King!

The Petty King of Powys/Gwynedd/Gwent/Dyfed

It has come to my and my liege's, King Æthelheard's, attention that your realm has stopped paying tribute. His Greatness doesn't appreciate this act of reluctance and expects you to start paying tribute - according to the size of your demesne - once again. If you fail to pay up, my army of skilled Anglo-Saxon warriors will be coming for a visit to your lands. And I tell you, they won't the most quiet of guests.

-Count Alfred of Warwick

Alfred gives the four letters to his messengers, who will bring them to the third a dozen Welsh Petty Kings that reign to the east of Alfred's lands. The Count of Warwick also tells his son, Wulfric, to take control of the rather large army that's waiting for orders in Warwick. Wulfric shall march to the Welsh border with his men and create pressure to the Welsh Petty Kings, so that they pay their tributes. And if they don't, Wulfric's men got themselves a real job.

The army is to be supplied by Warwick's own resources. No raiding is allowed to happen without the permission of Alfred.

Lathewald of Cant, with it's high stability, enjoys peace and prosperity.
Alric throws himself into the fray, fighting with the Northerners against the barbarians.

Wulf, Earl of Lancaster and York prepares to raise more levy in Lancaster and York, asking the people to enlist into the army to fight back against the northern raids and repel the enemy from the realm

HEREWEALD starts making the necessary reforms to make Lincoln the hub-city of the north, modern and prosperous. Firstly, the river Witham (connected to other major rivers), covering the entirety of Lincolnshire and flowing through the Brayford Pool, which the city of Lincoln is based on, is modified to make more navigable and lead to an easy route into the city. Though mostly traversable by low-deck boats, there are certain spots, whether due to narrowness or shallowness, where traversion requires stop on land. This is done through a series of irrigation projects and physical terraforming. Boston, the city where Lincoln divides into a series of over rivers, is expanded to accomodate the new trading opportunities.

EADWIG remains travelling. (free)