• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sete

Lt. General
48 Badges
Jan 24, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
Sugestion for a releasable vassal for Portugal at Madeira Island.
Why Madeira? It was the first place colonized by the Order of Christ and it remained under the juristiction of the order until the 16th century.

Background:
A military order which sprang out of the famous Order of the Temple (see Knights Templars). As Portugal was the first country in Europe where the Templars settled (in 1128), so it has been the last to preserve any remnant of that order. The Portuguese Templars had contributed to the conquest of Algarve from the Moslems; they were still defending that conquest when their order was suppressed (1312) by Pope Clement V. King Diniz, who then ruled Portugal, regretted the loss of these useful auxiliaries all the more because, in the trial to which the order had been submitted everywhere throughout Christendom, the Templars of Portugal had been declared innocent by the ecclesiastical court of the Bishop of Lisbon. To fill their place, the king instituted a new order, under the name of Christi Militia (1317). He then obtained for this order the approbation of Pope John XXII, who, by a Bull (1319), gave these knights the rule of the Knights of Calatrava and put them under the control of the Cistercian Abbot of Alcobaca. Further, by another Bull (1323), the same pope authorized King Diniz to turn over to the new Order of Christ the Portuguese estates of the suppressed Templars, and, as many of the latter hastened to become Knights of Christ, it may fairly be said that the foundation of Dom Diniz was both in its personnel and in its territorial position a continuation in Portugal of the Order of the Temple.
After 1417, by King John I of Portugal's request to the Pope, Prince Henry the Navigator (1417–1460) became the order's Grand Master. Prince Henry was born in 1394, the king's third son. During that time, Duarte I and Afonso V were Kings of Portugal. In 1433, King Duarte I gave the Order "Sovereign" status not over these territories which already held, but over any future conquests.

In 1460, King Afonso V granted the Knights of Christ a 5 percent levy on all merchandise from the new African lands.

Government:
Monastic Order

Traditions:
5% Discipline
25% Range

Ambition:
Permanent casus belli against neighboring heathens and heretics

Order of Christ Estates
+20% National tax modifier
The Order has the right of presentation to all ecclesiastical benefices to be founded beyond the seas, together with complete jurisdiction and the disposal of church revenues in those regions.

Neo-Reconquista
+10% Infantry combat ability
+10% Heavy ship combat ability
The Order must not waste its strength in idleness, Prince Henry the Navigator, opened a new front by carrying the war against Islam into Africa!

For Christ and His Faith
+2% Missionary strength
The work of evangelization is the motive of this great enterprise, and nothing could be more in accord with the spirit of the Order.

Reform the Leadership
+1 Land leader shock
+1 Naval leader shock
Commanderies can be held only by those who had served three years in Africa or five years with the Fleet.

Meia-Anata
+2 Yearly papal influence
The Pope has mitigated the vow of poverty into the payment of a tax - the meia-anata. For the Order this tax is three-quarters of the annual revenues.

Overseas Enterprise
Global trade goods 20%
Our grand scheme of combating Islam, spreading Christianity, and securing the trade of spices in the East will allows to form a lasting Empire.

Messianic Crusade
+25% National manpower modifier
An agressive recruitment policy must be taken to have the human resources to man the Armadas.

The first Grand Master should be Prince Henry the Navigator, but imagine that after his death the Order did not stay under the royal family sphere of influence.
Afonso V did not have much interest in the Overseas expansion focusing his policy in Northern Africa and Castille.

What if the Order retained its autonomy? Would you continue serving Portugal, or would you forge your own Empire?

Sources for the NI inspiration:

The Military Orders: On land and by sea
edited by Malcolm Barber, Judith Mary Upton-Ward

Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Order of the Knights of Christ

Knights, Squires and Foot Soldiers in Portugal during the Sixteenth-Century Military Revolution
Pedro de Brito

History of the Order of Christ
Wikipedia

History of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire.
A.R Disney

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
An Interesting alternative to the Duchy of Madiera, I must say, and definitely more historical.
So their main base of operations would be on Madeira too?
And i think (I am talkning about the possible mod) it should be created through a special event and not having any cores there at the start date?

• 1Like
Reactions:
An Interesting alternative to the Duchy of Madiera, I must say, and definitely more historical.
So their main base of operations would be on Madeira too?
And i think (I am talkning about the possible mod) it should be created through a special event and not having any cores there at the start date?
Yes my idea would be to have a decision to have them as vassal until the death of Afonso V. Then as a player you would decide to go independent or stay under Portugal.