• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
V - The Delhi Express and the Conservative Empire​

indianrail.png

After more than two years in Europe, the Mughal envoys were back from their expedition in Europe, bringing back valuable informations about European technologies and ways of life. Three embassies were also to be opened in the near future in the European capitals: Paris in France, Berlin in Prussia and St-Petersburg in Russia. While the Mughal Empire was already trading with Russia, the new diplomatic ties with France and Prussia were meant to find an eventual ally against Britain, or at least an European power friendly to our cause and ready to support us diplomatically.

Meanwhile, the treaty of Ahmandabad came to end and tensions between Britain and Mughalistan were on the rise again.

peaceended.png

The industrial revolution in Europe was not only a matter of factories, but also of new communication infrastructure. Railroads opened all over Europe, allowing both peoples and goods to travel farther and faster. A similar project was to be opened by the Mughal government. Plans were made for a railroad network to be build in parallel to the Ganges, wich would link the main cities of the Empire together and would allow the Imperial Army to move more easily trough the countryside. Loans were taken out of local French bankers, and the construction of the first railroad East of Austria begined.

railroad.png

In late 1849, the first part of the project was completed and Kahore was linked with Bihar by a modern railroad that was also connected to Delhi , Agra, Jaipur and Varnasi. Later improvements of the network would link Lahore with Karachi, the Empire's most important port.

railroad.png

As 1850 begined and the Occident was begining the 2nd half of its XIXth century, important news were announced by the Prussian Government in Berlin. Following the nationalist fever of 1848 and 1849, the German princes met and decided to unite under the leadership of the Prussian King into a 'Federal Empire'. As the balance of power in Europe drastically changed overnight, the Mughals were contemplating the possibility of forging an alliance with the new German Empire wich has the potential to eventually become stronger than Britain.

conservativeempire.png

_____________________​

Years slowly passed and no further war erupted in India, despite the ever existing tensions between the Emperor in Agra and the representatives of the BEIC in Calcutta. But when war will shake the whole subcontinent again, Mughalistan would be more ready than ever to fight the British. An enlarged army, supported by a stronger economy, would certainly take them by surprise.

mughalempire.png

General_Grant said:
and the requirement for being civilized are very hights.
Really? I always figured the requirments for being civilized in VIP as being lower, or rather size-adjusted. Big countries find it harder to civilize than smaller ones, which strikes me as realistic. And of course there are events for some countries which make it easier (China) or lots easier (Japan, Persia, and Mughulistan, surprisingly!) Though British India being a military superpower is incredibly annoying.

General_Grant said:
Ahura Mazda: V.I.P. can indeed become quite frustrating when it comes to economy. When you are a great power its wonderfull, but as a minor or semi-minor it requires lot of efforts. In vanilla to produce fabric I just need cotton and a bit of wool, two things that I produce in masses so I don't need any import.
Though you do make quite a bit of money via raw materials exports (particularly once you control the entire Ganges plain), so you can just import the necessary materials until you can build factories manufacturing them.

EDIT:
General_Grant said:
Plans were made for a railroad network to be build in parallel to the Ganges, wich would link the main cities of the Empire together and would allow the Imperial Army to move more easily trough the countryside.
Good to see how you're not only thinking of improving your ability to trade, but also your ability to suppress rebels! Germany and Russia should also be strong allies against the Brits, too. Are you thinking of going for the minors?

I found them harder myself however... and they made them even higher. IIRC you now need techs like iron steamers to achieve civilisation. Considering that unciv. research is takin forever, I find that kinda hard. :(

Just to be clear: the requirements for being civilised in my vanilla are:

250 prestige
55 industrial score
5 military score

And yes I am much more near to become civilised than I was thinking. Those railroads made the industrial score jump by at least 10.

And since this update was quite poor in action, a small bonus: a map of the different cultures of India, so you don't get too lost and you know with who I am dealing with (because not everyone is an expert about Indian cultures and languages). I promise a war for next update however. ;)

indiaculture.png

Dots represent minorities, background color majority culture.​

Last edited:
Karachi, the most important port, may also be the only port? :cool:

Love the last map!

Btw, do you have any ambitions for Central Asia, the birthplace of Timur?
Samarkand should be Mughal. ;)

General_Grant said:
I found them harder myself however... and they made them even higher. IIRC you now need techs like iron steamers to achieve civilisation. Considering that unciv. research is takin forever, I find that kinda hard.
But VIP also has (background) events which increase your RP production rate with increasing literacy while you're uncivilized, and it's easier to promote POPs (including clergymen). I managed to get Punjab producing ~.6 RP/month by the 1850s in the game I was talking about earlier by mass-converting laborers and farmers to clergymen and living off war reparations.

Not sure if you're using Vanilla POPs or VIP POPs, but Mazar-e-Sharif (in Afghanistan) should be majority-Tajik with Uzbek and Hazara minorities, not Pashtun with Tajik and Hazara.

(see e.g. http://www.geocities.com/ethnics_of_central_asia/casia_ethnic_93.jpg)

VIP actually does a great job representing the ethnic diversity of that area. Something to keep in mind for the future. :p

By the way! Great work with the Mughals. Defeating the British once is always the hardest part...this time you'll be well-rested and ready to dominate.

Hopefully.

Really nice, hahaha. Will be following this. :)

OFF - A bit inspired by this AAR, I decided to try forming Mughalistan in VIP 0.3 - I tried once back then in vanilla, but didn't manage because I was a way more inexperienced :D. How to, though?

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I was busy with work and then had a very social week-end. Its was quite fun but I had no time to continue playing the game nor to write this. But I'll certainly have the time this week. :)

I'll also answer every replies later (not right now, I' just taking a small moment to tell that this is really not dead).

Mughalistan (at least in VIP) is the religion of whichever country you used to form it. Since Panjab is the easiest country to do it as, and Panjab is Sikh...

In vanilla, I suppose it's because Mughalistan represents a national Indian state (rather than a conquering empire), and Indians are majority Hindu.

I forgot this almost entirely... please accept my apologies, again there was lot of action, job, little free time, and when you postpone your update for an entire week and don't play the game for all that time, you can foret about all of it.

Enewald: Not the only port for long. ;)

truth is life: You will see what I managed without it. :)

GregoryTheBruce: I'm using Vanilla Pops, thats why its not perfectly accurate.

demokratickid: It came very late, but here it is coming.

Pijama: Some may consider it an exploit, but just be sure to strike when the UK is already at war with a major power (Opium War, Crimean War, surprise war with the USA or France, etc). It makes the whole thing much more easy, especially if you give them the time to remove their Indian garrisons.
Edit: I forgot you tried with V.I.P.: in this case I don't know much. Probably do the same, wait for British India to get deeply involved in a large war far away.

Krall: not yet.

Hannibal X: truth is life explained it, its because I started as Hindu. One can think that even if the ruling elites are muslim, the vast majority of the population remains Hindu so its the 'official' religion.

Okay so... I had played a few more years and took pictures, but forgot most of what happened around the time took the pictures. This update will be more of a pictural one, no need for explanations, that speaks for itself:

declarwar.png

peacetreaty.png

industries.png

railroad.png

civilize.png

Civilization and grabbing another bit of your empire back! Also, I can see that you're starting industrialization--with your population, you should be ahead of the Westerners in no time. Maybe you can go after the princely states next--suck the UK in that way, hopefully making it a bit easier.

Doing well, though one feels that taking on the British was easier than it should have been. One of Victoria's weaknesses.

this is a wonderful AAR, good luck with uniting the subcontinent!

do you guys know how to boost the respective scores for civilizing? playing as Ethiopia, what would be the most effective way to get the army/industrial rating up? thanks for the link!