Optional Game Rules to change the way the quantifiable information is presented to the player (to increase perceived difficulty and for RP purposes)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Baron Bratwurst

Best served with sauerkraut
16 Badges
Dec 13, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Inspired by this thread of mine in the general CK III forum: Suggestion to Paradox: One simple game rule than can make the game more challenging and enjoyable

Hello everyone!

For the last few weeks I've been googling questions like "how to make CK3 more challenging/difficult". In my view, it can be achieved by encouraging players to consistently make sub-optimal decisions. I think there's something Paradox can do to make us play sub-optimal.

Let me explain. First of all, let me ask you this: are you enjoying the duel system in CK3? Me, personally, yes.

10.png

Do you see anything peculiar about the way the information is presented to the player? Well, the player doesn't know the exact values of Likelihood of Success and Risk of Injury! They are hidden between rather vague words like VERY HIGH (how high?) or LOW (how low?). It makes players follow the text clues the game gives to them, and it allows for the suboptimal play (because we don't know what the optimal solution is!). In duels, making suboptimal decisions could lead to your character's injury or death which in turn may lead to a crisis for your dynasty and/or realm. And that's perfect for story-telling since a crisis can make a good story great.

Outside of the duel system, i.e. in the rest of the game, the player 1) knows the EXACT chances of winning/losing in all interactions 2) knows EVERYTHING about EVERYONE. Therefore, the player can consistently find optimal solutions to most of the in-game problems, e.g. breaking up factions before they can press their demands or striking AI opponents when they are at their weakest point. That a) breaks immersion and b) turns CK3 into a spreadsheet game(="find/calculate an optimal solution and apply it").

Case in point #1:

ongoing%20murder%20scheme%20USABLE.PNG

There are two issues here: 1) How would a medieval ruler know the exact probability of the success of this mission (61%)? That's an immersion breaker. 2) Finding an optimal solution is trivial - we just need to spend as little gold as possible to bribe another agent(s) who can push the probability of success to 95%.

Now imagine that instead of giving us an exact number, it would say that the probability of success is "Above average" (which could be somewhere between 60%-70%, for example). Then I wouldn't know the optimal solution. I may spend more gold than needed to bribe extra agents (suboptimal, I won't be able to use that gold for other projects) or may not push the probability of success high enough (let's say, only to 90%, which is suboptimal too since it doubles the chance of failure 5%->10%).

Case in point #2:

There's plenty of events with the outcomes like:
A. 60% chance you get 100 gold and 40% chance you get 50 gold.
B. 100% chance you get 75 gold.

A rational player, who plays optimally, will tend to pick option A since the expected value is higher: EV = (100*0.6 + 50*0.4) = 80 > 75. Why not hide the exact percentages? The game already does that for other events, e.g.:
events2_02.jpg

How low is Low chance? I don't know and I don't want to know.

events2_01.jpg

How poor is poor? I don't know.

Case in point #3:

At any given moment of time, the player knows the exact military strength and wealth of every foreign power. How is my ruler supposed to know that the Byzantines have exactly 12653 troops under their command (breaking the immersion)?
This knowledge forces the player to play optimally. If Duke X is an alliance with Duke Y and together they can muster (X + Y) troops < Z where Z are my troops, I will attack Duke X. Because that's optimal.
Now imagine that instead of giving us the exact values, the game would simply say "Duke X forces are inferior to yours" and "Duke Y forces are inferior to yours" or "Duke X has 1-3k troops" and "Duke Y has 2-4k troops". Then I won't be able to know whether X+Y < Z or X+Y > Z. I only know that X < Z and Y < Z, i.e. individually they are weaker than me, but together they still might be stronger. So I will have to think twice before declaring war. Maybe I would try to hire better generals or finish that military building to tip the odds in my favor. If I know for sure that X+Y < Z then I essentially know the outcome of the war before it's even started.

If I know the AI wealth, I can easily deduce how many mercs it can hire. It eliminates the element of surprise.

With the AI military strength and AI wealth being obscured, we could get to some interesting consequences:

MilitaryStrength_1.PNG

MilitaryStrength_2.PNG

Case in point #4:

You know exactly who would make the best councilor. But why? We should only learn of their actual skill value once he or she is appointed to the council position. Let us discover that information in-game! The game already classifies character's attributes using adjectives such as Good, Excellent, etc when hovering over them in the character window.
Making a sub-optimal decision here encourages the roleplaying: I'm appointing the Steward here not because he's marginally (1-2 skill points) better but because I, as player, like him more. Same thing applies to marriages.

DLC material: A spymaster may be used to reveal other characters' stats.

Case in point #5 (that's more like a DLC material):

You know exactly what's happening in the whole world. Always. A Norse chieftain in 867 knows everything about the Han characters on the eastern edge of the map. Why? Let us discover the world through in-game means (events, innovations, expeditions). "Please, tell me more about this mythical realm of Hindustan".
When the Mongol Horde arrives, don't tell us exactly how strong they are and what holdings they're currently sieging. Keep the player in suspense - "will they show up at my doorstep? how can I get prepared? should I sign more alliances"? Everything outside of the diplo range should be terra incognita.

SUGGESTION:
Add a set of game rules to hide some of the in-game information from the player. e.g.:
- Game rule to hide the exact troops number of a) all AI rulers, or b) AI rulers not sharing the border with the player, or c) AI rulers outside top liege's realm.
- Game rule to hide the exact probabilities of success for events
- Game rule to hide exact the stats of characters a) outside of one's court, or b) outside of one's realm, or c) outside of top liege's realm, or d) outside of diplomatic range.

Let the player make the call based on their own observations, like in this event:

ill.png

There, it's up to us to decide whether Physician's skill/traits/opinion are sufficient enough to get the desired outcome. The game doesn't spoon-feed us the exact probabilities.

Last edited:
  • 34Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Getting rid of information doesn't make the game more difficult, it just turns a bunch of stuff into a coin flip and therefore random and increased randomness doesn't mean increased difficulty, just that there is more randomness.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Getting rid of information doesn't make the game more difficult, it just turns a bunch of stuff into a coin flip and therefore random and increased randomness doesn't mean increased difficulty, just that there is more randomness.
This game rule would add uncertainty.
Uncertainty != Randomness

Reactions:
This game rule would add uncertainty.
There is already a bunch of uncertainty in the game. If I have an event pop up with three choices, unless there is an option to take with a 100% chance of success, the outcome of the event is uncertain, by definition. By removing information that allows the player to make an informed decision you are just turning every decision into a random choice because all of the choices are now equally valid since you have no further information to help you make an informed decision. Players can't make high risk, high reward decisions if they have no information to base their choice on. If you have no information to make a decision with then you can just flip a coin or roll a dice and at that point the choice is actually random, not uncertain.

Also, there is nothing stopping a person from role playing if they want and can make a choice based on their character's personality traits already so there is no need to remove information to make that possible.

Reactions:
There is already a bunch of uncertainty in the game. If I have an event pop up with three choices, unless there is an option to take with a 100% chance of success, the outcome of the event is uncertain, by definition. By removing information that allows the player to make an informed decision you are just turning every decision into a random choice because all of the choices are now equally valid since you have no further information to help you make an informed decision. Players can't make high risk, high reward decisions if they have no information to base their choice on. If you have no information to make a decision with then you can just flip a coin or roll a dice and at that point the choice is actually random, not uncertain.

Also, there is nothing stopping a person from role playing if they want and can make a choice based on their character's personality traits already so there is no need to remove information to make that possible.
Are you suggesting event choices like the ones in the OP should be removed from the game and replaced with exact percentages and numbers because they are too random? They do not feel that way to me.

Reactions:
Players can't make high risk, high reward decisions if they have no information to base their choice on.
Duels. We are forced to make high risk/low reward decisions on barely no information.
By removing information that allows the player to make an informed decision you are just turning every decision into a random choice because all of the choices are now equally valid since you have no further information to help you make an informed decision.
I'm not proposing to remove information but rather make it obscure but discoverable by the player.
#1 An observant player can still make an informed decision, e.g. "this neighboring realm is fighting in a losing war, have already lost several battles and their ruler's Martial is comparable to mine. It's more probable (but not guaranteed, my judgement could've been wrong) I will win if I strike now" vs "I know for certain I will win since have x1.5 troops now"

#2 How would they be equally valid if you will be given textual clues, just like in duels? "95% probability of success" replaced by "Very High probability of success".
What trait would make my ruler get into a potentially losing war? intentionally spend more money than necessary on schemes? intentionally pick a weaker councilor (all other parameter being equal)?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
What trait would make my ruler get into a potentially losing war? intentionally spend more money than necessary on schemes? intentionally pick a weaker councilor (all other parameter being equal)?
While I support your suggestion (though I probably would never use such a game rule), I can answer your last question: wrathful, lazy/spendthrift, craven (dreads powerful vassal)—I’m sure there are more. RP can be used to cover any situation—though that doesn’t mean the situation was the result of good design, or is fun for the player. Just means you’ve exercised your imagination to explain why your character made a choice you know was bad.

Edited to trim quote

Duels. We are forced to make high risk/low reward decisions on barely no information.
No, they literally tell you what the risks and rewards are. It will literally say "High Risk" and "High Reward." You are making an informed decision.

I'm not proposing to remove information but rather make it obscure but discoverable by the player. An observant player can still make an informed decision, e.g. "this neighboring realm is fighting in a losing war, have already lost several battles and their ruler's Martial is comparable to mine. It's more probable (but not guaranteed, my judgement could've been wrong) I will win if I strike now" vs "I know for certain I will win since have x1.5 troops now"
This a really bad example. If I'm a smaller ruler neighboring the HRE and the Emperor is currently losing five wars then it really doesn't matter if I know exactly how many troops he does or doesn't have because he's losing five wars. At a minimum I can probably get a White Peace warscore if things start to go south. If I have a medium sized realm and want to attack a smaller realm who has a lot of allies, where those allies are is what's going to determine if I'm going to war. If I'm attacking a Russian ruler whose allies are all in Britain then I really don't care how many allies he has because I can probably finish the war before they get there and, again, if things turn bad I'll probably have enough warscore to White Peace anyway.

What trait would make my ruler get into a potentially losing war?
Brave, Arrogant, Zealous, Stubborn, Ambitious, Greedy, and Impatient are all potential traits depending on you want to roleplay them.

intentionally spend more money than necessary on schemes?
Wrathful, Vindictive, Craven, Arbitrary.

intentionally pick a weaker councilor
Craven, Lazy, Generous, Humble.

No, they literally tell you what the risks and rewards are. It will literally say "High Risk" and "High Reward." You are making an informed decision.
Then please explain me how

Probability of Success: 90%
Scheme Secrecy: 20%

is an informed decision

while
Probability of Success: Very High
Scheme Secrecy: Low

is not? Talking about schemes. It's literally the same thing as "High Risk" and "High Reward".
No, I just like the way information is presented in game right now.
That's why I'm talking about an optional game rule. For those who want it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then please explain me how

Probability of Success: 90%
Scheme Secrecy: 20%

is an informed decision

while
Probability of Success: Very High
Scheme Secrecy: Low

is not? Talking about schemes. It's literally the same thing as "High Risk" and "High Reward".
Duels aren't a fundamental part of gameplay while schemes, wars and choosing decisions during events are.

That's why I'm talking about an optional game rule. For those who want it.
And it's going to take time and resources to make that game rule and those resources can be used better elsewhere. The devs don't have unlimited resources and have to pick and chose what they work on. I think there are far better uses of the devs time and resources than this.

Reactions:
Duels aren't a fundamental part of gameplay while schemes, wars and choosing decisions during events are.
"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man". A lost duel can cost your ruler his life while a failed scheme is only a wasted time or a reputation hit.
Besides, I posted a pic of an event where a probability is not given by an exact number. Want me to find more?

Also, you didn't answer the question.
And it's going to take time and resources to make that game rule and those resources can be used better elsewhere. The devs don't have unlimited resources and have to pick and chose what they work on. I think there are far better uses of the devs time and resources than this.
You can't speak for the devs. I put forward an idea, devs will decide whether it's worth it or not.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
No, I just like the way information is presented in game right now.
It seems like you are missing that those events currently in game present information in exactly the way the op is suggesting more things should: vaguely rather than with exact numbers. Or if you are not missing this, why are those events ok but doing other things this way is bad?

• 2Like
Reactions:
"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man". A lost duel can cost your ruler his life while a failed scheme is only a wasted time or a reputation hit.
No, you never have to duel in the game if you don't want to. You will almost certainly have to go to war, scheme and you have to take part in lifestyle events.

Besides, I posted a pic of an event where a probability is not given by an exact number. Want me to find more?
Which, again, are mostly optional events that you can skip if you want to and don't really have a huge impact on the game. Taking the "Commission an Epic" minor decision is never going to make or break your game.

Also, you didn't answer the question.
No, I did. The different between the duel and other stuff is that they are fundamental parts of the game and having more information allows you to make more informed decision. Yes, "High Risk, High Reward"/"Low Risk, Low Reward" and "25% for 1,000 gold"/90% for 100 gold" both allow you make informed decisions but the second description allows you make a much more informed decision. That's why I'm okay with "High Risk/High Reward" for duels but not more fundamental parts of the game.

You can't speak for the devs. I put forward an idea, devs will decide whether it's worth it or not.
I just explained why I'm against your idea. I can't stop the devs from working on it if they want to.

Reactions:
Dug into events files.

event1.PNG

Nice.

event2.PNG

Nice.

event3.PNG

More than 180 events where outcome probabilities are completely hidden.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Which, again, are mostly optional events that you can skip if you want to and don't really have a huge impact on the game. Taking the "Commission an Epic" minor decision is never going to make or break your game.
That's why I'm okay with "High Risk/High Reward" for duels but not more fundamental parts of the game.
ill.png

Also not a fundamental part of the game? This event is hardly optional. Why did the developers let players weigh the odds in this event? The only piece of information you have is your physician's skill.

Reactions:
Also not a fundamental part of the game? This event is hardly optional. Why did the developers let players weigh the odds in this event? The only piece of information you have is your physician's skill.
:rolleyes: If all you are going to do is try and nitpick and instead of addressing my larger points then I'm done.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
I would very much like some information to not be presented to me at all. For example, how could a medieval ruler tell whether his intended marriage to an 8-year-old princess would have "high", "medium", "low" or "none" chance of producing children? The thought of counting a child bride's egg cells very much takes me out of roleplay. It is impossible in CKIII to unwittingly marry an infertile character, and so producing an heir (the chief goal in the game) does not pose even a slightest challenge like it did in CKII.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Are you suggesting event choices like the ones in the OP should be removed from the game and replaced with exact percentages and numbers because they are too random? They do not feel that way to me.
Dueling is a difficult one because both your choices *and* those of the opponent influence the duel.
There's no way to give an absolute value to anything in the duel.

#1 An observant player can still make an informed decision, e.g. "this neighboring realm is fighting in a losing war, have already lost several battles and their ruler's Martial is comparable to mine. It's more probable (but not guaranteed, my judgement could've been wrong) I will win if I strike now" vs "I know for certain I will win since have x1.5 troops now"
Alternatively "I know for certain I will win as I have *overwhelming* troop numbers".
Same information, just presented differently, but still giving you "this is a certain win" information.

Potentially losing war.

Wrathful (They insulted me in some fashion, bring the army); Brave (We might be outnumbered, but we can endure this and win), especially if you've got superior troop types, or a tactical advantage of some kind); Ambitious (especially if the others apply); Fickle (tends to do things without thinking); Zealous (they're a religious enemy); lunatic or possessed. Also low martial/bad military education. Dull or the slow traits. Maybe torturer (anything to get prisoners, so that I can hurt them).

Overspending on schemes : Improvident; profligate; wrathful; maybe even diligent; luncatic; possessed; fickle.

Picking a weak councilor : I'd like to note that it's rare you've got two candates where everything *is* equal, but... Fickle; lunatic; possessed; lazy (their name was first on the list, I can't be bothered to look any further than that); Content (they'll do, they're already in the job so I don't need to replace them); Melancholic (what's the point looking for the better candidate, everything's going to go wrong anyway); Dull or one of the "slow" traits; Irritable (don't bother me with irrelevant details, just give the job to <first person to catch your eye>).

More than 180 events where outcome probabilities are completely hidden.
Notice how one of those mentions "can't" reveal the outcome.

You have more than that.
You've missed several factors that could weigh into it.

What your illness is; potentially bonuses from lifestyle perks or legacies.

It's also a situation where the "possible effects" box would become unwieldy if all the information was in it, and not everything is in the player character's hands.

Potentially losing war.

Wrathful (They insulted me in some fashion, bring the army); Brave (We might be outnumbered, but we can endure this and win), especially if you've got superior troop types, or a tactical advantage of some kind); Ambitious (especially if the others apply); Fickle (tends to do things without thinking); Zealous (they're a religious enemy); lunatic or possessed. Also low martial/bad military education. Dull or the slow traits. Maybe torturer (anything to get prisoners, so that I can hurt them).
My councillors don't let me get into a losing war and I'm hundreds years away from Absolute Crown Authority. We keep each other in high regard (very high opinion) so I'm heeding their advice. They tell me I should strike when the enemy is at its weakest.

PS. I wish we had something similar to CK2's Conclave. It didn't really work there since it was easy to strip the council of its power. But I'm guessing it would work for CK3 (provided Absolute Crown Authority is not available early).

Last edited: