Optimizing actual ducats received because of the current bug

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chetos25

Private
Aug 18, 2019
The 1.30.1 patch has a bug where a peace offer that is bigger than 75 and includes ducats as a demand may end up giving you less ducats than what the peace offer interface tells you (it has been reported). This is crucial since you may be misled into a bad position where you think that you are gonna receive more gold than what you actually get, but there is a way to work around this bug at least until it gets fixed.

Basically what you need to do is to avoid demanding for the maximum amount of ducats in the peace deal if the offer is already at 52 before adding any ducats. The actual maximum amount of money that you can get can be determined by using this table:

1591923097215.png

This is because for some reason -- a bug most likely -- once the WarScore for a peace offer goes over 75, the amount of actual received ducats will decrease linearily. So you can receive 25% worth of ducats at 75% total WarScore in your peace offer, but at 80% total WS you will only receive 20% worth even if the peace offer interface indicates otherwise; likewise, at 95% total WS you can only receive 5% worth of ducats after the peace is signed. Therefore, in order to maximize the gold received, you must look for a sweetspot between your current peace offer value without ducats and the maximum peace offer value (100), which will be on the middle (half the amount of the Available WS from the table).

1591923108203.png

So in this example, given that the peace offer value is currently at 83 without including any ducats, the sweetspot will be at 17/2 = 8.5 ~ 9. Which means you should add 9 worth of WS in the ducats section to get the highest possible amount. Adding more than 9 will end up with you receiving less than the indicated amount by the interface, which is super annoying.

I've put together a very simple calculator to help me with this. It has also helped me to correctly predict how much money I was going to receive in my Muscovy run and in other sandbox scenarios. I'm attaching it in case anyone finds it helpful. Hopefully this will get a hotfix soon!

EDIT: Added attachments.

Attachments

• golducats EU4 1.30 calcs.xlsx
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
wat. How does a bug like this make it into the game? This is so utterly random and senseless that I am awestruck.
Oh, I'm sure the peace deal code is notoriously simple. :oops:
I mean yeah it is pretty weird, but...

Edit: actually I bet it has something to do with the new system that's supposed to auto-calculate the number of ducats they are willing to give up, ... which is also bugged. Like a variable name that was used twice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Edit: actually I bet it has something to do with the new system that's supposed to auto-calculate the number of ducats they are willing to give up, ... which is also bugged. Like a variable name that was used twice.

Doesn't really make sense, the peace deal UI screen and what is actually executed when you send it should be completely separate things.

EDIT: Oh wait, I understood the situation wrong. I thought the UI was lying and you got less than reported when the peace deal went though. Instead its just the UI that is broken and restricting you from increasing the ducats as high as you should be able to.

Reactions:
Doesn't really make sense, the peace deal UI screen and what is actually executed when you send it should be completely separate things.

EDIT: Oh wait, I understood the situation wrong. I thought the UI was lying and you got less than reported when the peace deal went though. Instead its just the UI that is broken and restricting you from increasing the ducats as high as you should be able to.

You do get less than reported, the UI lies in this case (and several others involving peace deals, though those bugs are older). You can demand 1000 ducats in the peace deal, have it show that way, and then receive 200 ducats.

Reactions:

Do you believe AIs use a 'peace deal UI screen' among themselves?

Reactions:
Do you believe AIs use a 'peace deal UI screen' among themselves?

That's kind of funny to picture. But then I remember that Civ took a significant performance hit between turns because the game would execute animations off-screen in the fog of war and it's less funny. I guess the AI needed to "see" those offscreen animations!

It wouldn't surprise me if the AI evaluation of peace deal weighted its decisions based on gold it doesn't receive due to this bug though. Could go either way on that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You do get less than reported, the UI lies in this case (and several others involving peace deals, though those bugs are older). You can demand 1000 ducats in the peace deal, have it show that way, and then receive 200 ducats.

From what I can tell, if 1000 ducats is the max I could normally get but this bug occurs, the peace screen will limit me to e.g. 10 WS worth of ducats (400) and I'll get 10 WS worth of ducats (400). So its not the UI lying about what I get, just not letting me push the button to spend my full 25 WS on ducats.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually it's both ways haha. If you use the new Shift + RMB function to go for the max amount in the example I present in the original post, the interface would suggest you will receive ~584 ducats (corresponding to 17% WS), but you actually receive 1 freaking ducat. So you send it thinking "ah yes, I'll finally pay the loans I took for this long and excruciating war" and end up being in a worse situation than before.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Actually it's both ways haha. If you use the new Shift + RMB function to go for the max amount in the example I present in the original post, the interface would suggest you will receive ~584 ducats (corresponding to 17% WS), but you actually receive 1 freaking ducat. So you send it thinking "ah yes, I'll finally pay the loans I took for this long and excruciating war" and end up being in a worse situation than before.
Sounds even more likely that they are related.

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK yeah, it can bug out both ways. If I spend 80 WS, then try to increase my cash, I can only increase up to 90 WS (and get 10 WS worth of cash). On the other hand if I give myself 20 WS worth of cash and then do my other demands to get up to 100 WS total, I only actually get 10 WS worth of cash.

Fricken' weird

• 2Like
Reactions:
Are there any quality testers involved with Emperor DLC?
Funny thing is I actually have a Green Belt Lean Six Sigma certificate :p so I guess it's natural that stuff like this gets on my nerves. On the other hand, this is the biggest patch ever for EU4, so you had to expect some bugs considering recent history.

From what I can tell, if 1000 ducats is the max I could normally get but this bug occurs, the peace screen will limit me to e.g. 10 WS worth of ducats (400) and I'll get 10 WS worth of ducats (400). So its not the UI lying about what I get, just not letting me push the button to spend my full 25 WS on ducats.
Following up on my last post, you can of course left-click your way up to where the button locks, and it will stop in the sweetspot I mention (in my example, it would stop at 91%); in this case, the UI will be right, but in past patches there was nothing stopping you from ripping off the other country up to 100%. So these are two different issues: the UI lying and the UI allowing you to go up to the maximum amount with Shift+RMB but not letting you do so by simply using the LMB.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's kind of funny to picture. But then I remember that Civ took a significant performance hit between turns because the game would execute animations off-screen in the fog of war and it's less funny. I guess the AI needed to "see" those offscreen animations!
Until it was fixed, right? I mean, you know you can turn animations off in Civ and the AI still works, yes? The nature of that bug is not so much that animations were rendered off-screen, it's that the game has a delay for the animations to complete which is pointless in the case that the animation is not actually visible.

Reactions:
Until it was fixed, right? I mean, you know you can turn animations off in Civ and the AI still works, yes? The nature of that bug is not so much that animations were rendered off-screen, it's that the game has a delay for the animations to complete which is pointless in the case that the animation is not actually visible.

Actually, at the time that issue was a thing you could not turn animations off. Your only option was to use "quick animations", so the offscreen animations always added a significant amount of downtime for no reason. And yes it's the delay that's bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: