• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheCheeseMaster

Pluribus Minecraft
85 Badges
Mar 3, 2010
pluribus.org.uk
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • For the Motherland
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
OperationVistulaEmblem.jpg

Welcome
Hello, this is my second AAR and my first HOI3 AAR. This AAR will be for the nation Poland and will follow a strategy I dont think many players have tried, (well, I dont think many players have played Poland).

I am English, and therefore, know absolutely nothing about Poland and their history, except what I can gather from wikipedia, Paradox games and a hint of imagination. If I do make a mistake, you might be the only one that notices it so keep your mouth shut!

I will be playing Semper Fi (unpatched because the patcher confuses me) with Common Weapons Of WW2 and all the sprite packs.

Contents
Part One - 1936-1939 - Preparing
[post=12505558]Chapter One - The Plan[/post]
[post=12509573]Chapter Two - Preparing For War[/post]
[post=12521789]Chapter Three - Nothing of Any Interest[/post]
[post=12524999]Chapter Four - A Hurry of Preparations[/post]
[post=12547195]Chapter Five - Same old, Same old[/post]
[post=12557732]Chapter Six - Where the hell has Czechoslovakia gone?[/post]
[post=12569166]Chapter Seven - War![/post]

Part Two - 1939 - 1940 - War
[post=12577214]Chapter Eight - Remind me why we're allies, again?[/post]
[post=12596152]Chapter Nine - Casualties in War[/post]
[post=12611145]Chapter Ten - Start of the Forth Front[/post]
[post=12627116]Chapter Eleven - Never Trust A Slav[/post]
[post=12635547]Chapter Twelve - Mo' Fighting[/post]
[post=12648394]Chapter Thirteen - Warsaw Is Gone, Almost[/post]
[post=12656518]Chapter Fourteen - Very Well, Alone![/post]
[post=12660364]Chapter Fifteen - The Retreat[/post]
[post=12667882]Chapter Sixteen - Anti-Climax[/post]

Part Three - 1940 onward - Expeditionary And Peace
[post=12670297]Chapter Seventeen - Crumbling like a Biscuit[/post]
[post=12672332]Chapter Eighteen - V.E.[/post]

Last edited:
Chapter One - The Plan
Ignacy Mościcki was the president of Poland, a smart man, charismatic. However, not the best on the battlefield. Henryk Sucharski was for that. Sucharski was told to devise a plan against the Germans, if they were to attack.

By the 9th April, Sucharski came up with a great plan:
HoI3_2-1.jpg

HoI3_3-1.jpg

"Is that it?" Moscicki asked, "what about all that land west of the river? You're going to make thousands of innocent people die?"
"Absolutely not! They will have to travel across the river."
Moscicki was still not convinced, "We do not have the military to line every segment of the river with firearms! And what about a surprise attack from the Soviets? What do we do then?"
"Then we must make more divisions!" Sucharski snapped
"And the Russians?"
"We pray."

Last edited:
you said you read wiki, so let me correct you invasion of Poland took 5 weeks, would probably take as long or longer as fall gelb but soviets finished the job. And sorry but if you're being ignorant I have to be sassy to.

I wonder how many german citizens have killed english leaflets droped by UK bombers?

Last edited:
Chapter Two - Preparing For War
Over the course of the next year, Poland's military, technology and diplomacy were essentially in Sucharski's command. Many new regiments were organised and many new ways of fighting were discovered.

Of the new regiments, there were 5 new infantry divisions:
HoI3_1-1.jpg

Of which, 2 of those went towards strengthening the Operation's weakest point; the center, Lublin and Warsaw saw new troops.

The remaining three were sent to the "eastern line":
HoI3_6.jpg

The "eastern line" would not be able to be used as a defense against the Russians. It was for peace keeping and stopping air and naval invasions.

On the diplomacy front, to prevent the Russians from an attack, transit rights were given to them, as well as the UK and France.

A civil war had broken out in Spain, but that was not of Sucharski's concern.

Following Sucharski's orders, many new technologies were researched. All going to help imminent war some way or another:
  • National Guard Brigade
  • Construction Engineering
  • Assault Concentration Advance
  • Infantry Warfare Advance
  • Industrial Production Advance

And lastly, and possibly most importantly, tanks had been produced. Against the rest of the governments agreement that the German-Pole war would and should be an infantry war, Sucharski ordered two tanks to be constructed as soon as possible, with 4 more being given a lower priority. One tank division was sent to Danzig, whilst the other stayed in Warsaw:
HoI3_11-1.jpg

With these new weapons at Sucharski's disposal, the German advance should be greatly decreased.

Chapter Four - Nothing of any interest
1937 began, and almost nothing of any interest happened throughout the entire year, you can pretty much just skip this chapter.

Poland, once more, gained technological advantages:
  • Delay Doctrine Advance
  • Large Front Advance

But before all that tot, Sucharski ordered the production of several forts in high value and low defense provinces:
HoI3_2-2.jpg

New regiments were trained, three tank squadrons and one mixed division (third mountain, third infantry and third cavalry*). The three thanks were placed along the river at Ostrowiec, Bielsko-Biala and Brodnica, now, the tanks are spread out along the line with a ratio of 1 tank to 3 provinces which is more then the Germans have visibly along their Polish line.

The mixed division was sent to the Eastern line, because of its mountain training, they would be peacekeeping in Slovakia after it has been invaded.
HoI3_5-1.jpg

During all that madness, the Nationalist's finally defeated Republican's in Spain, the war ended in the regions around the North Western city A Coruna on the 16 of June.

Its now the 28th September 1937, approx 2 years before the date that Sucharski said the Great War would begin.

---

*It was part of the "suggested troops for HQ" thing, i thought it was a mountain infantry so I kept it. The tanks were also part of the suggested troops, as were planes, but it would be useless to try to compete with the Luftwaffe so they were cancelled.

Next update tomorrow or tonight.

Last edited:
I think you should build level 10 AA in all provinces you plan to hold (it's cheap and after you sum um practical it's even cheaper and faster to build). I've recently tried playing Poland and the Luftwaffe pretty much won the war - even tough I added AA brigades to many of my divisions, given that you just don't have enough manpower to reinforce all your troops.

I think you should build level 10 AA in all provinces you plan to hold (it's cheap and after you sum um practical it's even cheaper and faster to build). I've recently tried playing Poland and the Luftwaffe pretty much won the war - even tough I added AA brigades to many of my divisions, given that you just don't have enough manpower to reinforce all your troops.
Good idea. But I am running desperately out of time as you will see in the next update (10 minutes). I doubt I can even fortify the selected provinces before war. We'll see

From what Ive heard provincial AA is good only for practicals,but I may be wrong :p

Chapter Four - A Hurry of Preparations
War was less then two years away. Polish forces were still weak and the forts hadn't even laid foundations. Yet the government insisted that Anti-air guns were placed in every defense province. Sucharski conceded, much against his will.
HoI3_7-1.jpg

He said that it would be an impossible task to finish all the AA's before Germany comes knocking, and that the Polish Air Force would deal with the minor bombings. Mościcki argued against this by pointing out the Polish Air Force was only 3 planes.

The year of 1938 was quite very much the same as 1937; commission tanks, order them around, examine new technology, admire a fort. Two new tank divisions were completed between September 1937 and April 1938, they were placed at Wisla at the end of the river Vistula, and at Lomza, to help with the invasion of Konigsberg*.

As well as that, fortifications were built along the delta of the Vistula, to help defend the region of Danzig.
HoI3_17.jpg

Though they were mainly just pillboxes with a stick fence, they were "better then nothing".

Also, many new technologies were discovered:
  • Infantry Support Weapons Advance
  • Assault Concentration Advance
  • Delay Doctrine Advance
  • Infantry Warfare Advance

And thats it for this......
HoI3_13.jpg

Oh yea, the Franko-Polo Alliance was created. This meant that Poland was effectively part of the Allies. And thats not the only good thing to come from this, Poland now had access to all of France's espionage.
HoI3_14.jpg

Surprisingly, there were very little tanks on either side of Germany, the Maginot Line had no tanks and no motorized infantry, and the Polish line had 2 tank divisions and 3 motorized. Sucharski was starting to doubt there was a threat at all.

Until, of course, Germany forced annexed the rather peaceful nation of Austria.
HoI3_18.jpg

War is less then a year away.

---
*Konigsberg is the main city in the area east of Danzig controlled by Germany.

I don't understand this strategy. The Polish border is too long to protect with static defenses. A few defensible strongpoints might be good, but a long defense line is not strong enough, it can be broken at any point. Polish tanks are no match for the German panzers. I would concentrate on equipping the infantry with good artillery.

I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, though. Good luck.

i like the plan tho imo i think you should start your armies on the german border and fight a withdrawal back to the river that way your troops fight with advantage. if you have troops dug in behind your frontlines the germans are always fighting against entrechment. if you can hold danzig you should have some counter attack oppurtunities especially (like you even have half as many troops as you need) if you can start a well timed offensive in the north cutting off konigberg and memel ports. sadly if all goes well youll be the newest most brilliant russian general eva! cant wait to see what happens.