• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LastSalian

Lt. General
3 Badges
Jul 28, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
I was reading the CK3 forum because was thinking of buying it and haven't played it in ages, and found this post https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/what-are-old-ck2-veterans-opinion-of-ck3.1466094 It's very interesting but as a side note read that they had to wait 10 years to get a fully mature game... Well that's a lot, and I would suppose, based on the current EU4 development pace, we would need 15 years to get that.

Reason why is how abandoned some piece in the game get... For example, I wrote a post about Ming missions, but that's nothing compared to Aztecs. And the weird thing is I do have the El Dorado DLC, but it doesn't matter, I don't have custom missions for Aztecs.

So believe it's time for PDX to get more innovative in their business model, besides the horrendous subscription which is not at all innovative BTW. And that step is making some pieces open source, like missions, events and so on. Those changes would be released as part of the free content PDX always releases. Also devs could focus on actual features, and not just click and win buttons.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Uhm....i dont know what to tell you except all the things you asked for are "open source" in the sense that they are somewhat of a markup. Some things are hardcoded and some of those shouldn't but the game is very moddable.

Now if i understand you correctly you intend for paradox to outsource their event/mission/NI scripting to the community and instead focus on deeper mechanics. The issue there is that the people working on the former (content designers) are no programmers. They have some understanding of course but they have two main skills. Writing in PDX script language and researching sources. By far the biggest part of their job is research.

In contrast the actual programmers barely have anything to do with what the users see and are entirely different people with different skills. You can't tell a content designer to do that job.

Added to that there is the issue that the code on projects this old is all over the place. The original developers are long gone to other companies or projects and for most mechanics it goes something like "only XYZ knowa how that code works. But we dont talk with XYZ anymore since he became a hermit in the australian outback 217 years ago".

So concluding imagine you are PDX and have a budget for a set amount of people. How can you produce the most content to satisfy your consumers while still making profit. You use your salaries on content designers who dont need to be trained for two years to even understand what they are working on.

Reactions: