• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I would encourage everyone to take rumors with a grain of salt - there are some hitting at RPG elements needing improvement.

As someone that enjoys planning out my character skill/ability progressing I am cautiously optimistic...

Reactions:
While I would encourage everyone to take rumors with a grain of salt - there are some hitting at RPG elements needing improvement.

As someone that enjoys planning out my character skill/ability progressing I am cautiously optimistic...
I find it hard to be optimistic, with complete change of narrative staff.

As this is removing people, and hiring others. This means changes, are not for saving money, as the work is done, as if so no need to hire more people. Also new people need to read up what's going on in game at moment, and see how they can develop these plots, this means more delay.

2021 is only round the corner, and they gone completely silent, whilst I am sure the game will be released, I starting to doubt it will even be 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Yes, publishers want to make money. However, Paradox is a publisher that usually picks genres and IPS that most publishers don't give that much attention.
So I really doubt any of their choices was because "We want to put some microtransactions into the game" or any of the shady stuff.
I wonder if i ever even seen any microtransactions acusation here, and cant remember any in last few months ...
So i presume we dont fear this, we have enough to wory about even without MCT. :D

In my carrer, about 9 years, in software development the long silence usually means one thing, not that is the case; some core elements of the project are being redone bacause the early concept or alpha version failed to yeld the expected results. Sometimes the client aproves the ideas but the users hate them. And if the leaders can't solve it we end up losing the project, someone is fired or both.
In the game develpment case it means the client (Paradox) gave a green light for the project, but when they entered Alpha/Beta the user test was a huge failure and a lot of things needed to be redone.
This could start whole new wave of speculations ... concidering who, and on what position was replaced.

What would you say to the people you hyped with trailers and everything? The only way to salvage things is to give the project a solid direction, delay the game and crunch the way out of failure. I belive that is the case because Alex (the new creative leader) major role in his carrer is developing fun game loops.
I dont see any problem with that ... i just wish that someone who will deciding that "solid direction" will share it with us. :-/
Right now we cant be even sure if informations we get so far is still valid, or also subjects to change.

Anyway, its not a complete silence since they care to say who is doing what.
I must have missed it ...
Or do you mean that some people are posting on Twitter, or Redit informations about their job?
Those "leaks" if that even can be called that, was allready taged as unofficial and therefore not entirely thrustworthy.

At this point I won't even do that to avoid unecessary hate directed at the devs. The crunch is already bad enough without a bunch of angry people at your castle doorstep parading with pitchforks and torchs because they remember more your failures than the successes.
I dont think is in anyone power to "avoid unecessary hate" ... not in this time, not on internet ...
Either you will get bad reputation, for not following someones expectations ... or just for not talking to him. Question is here: Wich makes less harm.

I would only explain what happened when the team decided and developed a solid solution.
Yeah, but you should either do that really fast (wich opourtunity is long gone by now) ... or you should offer people something else meanwhile, and by that i dont mean some entirely different game, as Pardox lately do ... i mean some anouncement, not necesarily related to that particular problem.
You just need people to keep looking forward for your product, even if there was some problems ... they are allways there.

I really enjoyed the game asthetics, but the gameplay is more akin to a dishonored/bioshock game than a Vampire the Masquerade RPG. Power FPS or Power Stealth FPS. No inventory system, no skills, no character sheet, no gear system or character creation was presented to us. The only thing that we saw was the story, exploration and combat ( the game loop). And, as I said before, in the long run it became too repetitive and shallow.
Exactly what we are saying for last half year at least ...
See any effect? Since i dont. :(

And i would like to repeat myself here, since we dont exactly need to "see" those things, especialy if they are not yet "presentation ready", wich is also a bit disturbing, taking how long they are "just adding some polish" ... but there is a way to satisfy people anyways ... an DD that will simply talk about this topics is undoubtedly the first step in the right direction.

The thing is: Paradox really can't let BL2 fail.
It's a great oportunity to start their AA game lines, soon to be AAA, because its linked with all the WoD universe.
If BL2 is a succes we will be able to play Werewolf, Changeling, Mage, Demon and Hunter games. And even spawn a new wave of WoD material since White Wolf is a part of Paradox.
Yeah ... but the thing actualy is, they allready are. :-/
There is still time to make things right, but it needs some activity ... fanbase will not save itself forewer.

Well, right now we allready have Werewolf game ... and its development seem in some ways even better than Bloodlines ... we also have Wraith, and some other WoD titles ... just this one seem to be problematic. :-/
Some could say that sucess, or maybe even existance, of BL2 is no longer relevant, as it was just decoy to get our atention. :-/

Despite the silence IMO we will end with a good game or even a great one. I see the changes in the company not as a bad thing, but that something was wrong and they are trying to fix it. That is way better than soldier on and deliver a mediocre product.
I get you, we all want to believe this ... its just getting harder, and harder. :-/
Especialy if there is litteraly nothing that would support it, right now.

as the work is done
And why do you think that?

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Siegdarth
Overall i like your post, really do.

Gotta say it again, i personally wish everyone involved in the games development a good fullfilling life and job. Even the guy who decided to let go of Mitsoda and Cluney. Even that guy, that's taking things from others out of their fridge ;) . What i'm talking about isn't individual responsibility for failures. There's a difference between the corporation (you know - the embodiment of the sum of their efforts) and them individually.

Having said that, let me specify why i can't agree with your large point about silence.
As software dev working on projects you should be aware of business ethics and their struggle to set lines between obligations towards stakeholders (like customers) and companies own well-being. And in this case specifically PDX has already taken money from customers (while maybe not directly through Steam, they've got their own shop). Not to mention even before pre-orders Marketing/PR did what it's best in, trying to get fandom emotionally invested by a ARG, a referel program with ingame goodies and so on.
And with that here's a direct line between defending corporate interests (not loosing out on sales) and customer interests (being able to make an informed decision to cancel pre-order). And Paradox has mostly done the first.

So far PDX has defended the lines against misinformations being negative to PDX - clear them up; Misinformation being positive? Oh don't bother with it (e.g. Cara still being involved and borught up as defence against the narrative direction being fiddled with. Or how the Lead Narrative role was no longer needed).

Having again written a stupid wall of text, that could be interpreted as negative, let me repeat again. I highly symphathise with the PR/Marketing team, who have a hard time. I symphatise with the developers who are in crunch and in a hard place in respect towards team changes (meaning they might have already suffered before). And i hope they'll be able to release a great game and get praise for all their hard work, as i'm certain they're all working hard.

• 3Like
Reactions:
They certainly did back in the day ...
Recently ... dunno, but i gues not so much, since thre are people who (are? again?) suppose to report them what is happening here. :-/
And in some not-so-distant-future? Lets say i would not recomend to be too optimistic.