Open Beta Patch 1.11.4 (Steam Only) (Updated Mk4) - Checksum b22c

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The consumer goods nonsense of the five year plans is still there. If you wanted to nerf the Soviets, why not just have fewer CIVs to start with, rather than a permanent debuff that's tedious and unhistorical - I don't recall Soviet shops being full of consumer goods, quite the opposite.
Maybe making vodka from toilet paper?! Could explain why so much vodka and so little toilet paper.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
How would it make sense historically?
I was referring to the post about the claim on Katowice, which is a part of Silesia IRL, and I was thinking of adding a German core there (which your map does seem to support). Sorry for being unclear.

Nevertheless, I am a bit dubious about the map itself. It divides Silesia into nationalities of existing states and I wonder how many of the inhabitants primarily identified as Silesians, and only secondarily as Germans or Poles. The Silesian identity certainly existed in pre-war Poland, to the point Polish Silesia was autonomous. I would strongly suspect it also existed in the German part.

The consumer goods nonsense of the five year plans is still there. If you wanted to nerf the Soviets, why not just have fewer CIVs to start with, rather than a permanent debuff that's tedious and unhistorical - I don't recall Soviet shops being full of consumer goods, quite the opposite.
I think the consumer goods in HOI4 doesn't necessarily mean commodities that are provided to the people. They also represent goods that are wasted due to an inefficient economy, which USSR likely is. It's not like Americans have five extra turkeys on the dining table during the Great Depression, when 70% of its factories are in consumer goods.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Have subjects stopped sending calls to arms to other faction members? I've tested two games as Germany in which Slovakia hasn't immediately brought Italy into the war after I invaded Poland.

Is there a bug with Rudolf Hess's flight? I capitulated France in 1939 in my first Germany test game and he was still alive, well, and advising me in 1942. This was on historical settings with default AI behavior across the board.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Last time I checked, Consumer Goods represented everything from Bread and Butter to Boots and Clothes, not just luxury goods.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The annoying bug when going the right opposition path and killing Stalin that doesn't bring advisors from exile is still not fixed. Align Zinovyev/Ryutin and the whole Gain support from party members path is non-functional.

Reactions:
I was referring to the post about the claim on Katowice, which is a part of Silesia IRL, and I was thinking of adding a German core there (which your map does seem to support). Sorry for being unclear.

Nevertheless, I am a bit dubious about the map itself. It divides Silesia into nationalities of existing states and I wonder how many of the inhabitants primarily identified as Silesians, and only secondarily as Germans or Poles. The Silesian identity certainly existed in pre-war Poland, to the point Polish Silesia was autonomous. I would strongly suspect it also existed in the German part.
They added a Sillesian state in Hearts of Iron 4. With that I agree, I know the Sillesians in the region considered themselves first and foremost Sillesian, and only then Germans or Poles (like Belgians with Flanders & Wallonians). However, this Sillesian identity doesn't extend as a Polish identity.

Having a German Sillesian loyal to the Polish state is like having a Thracian Greek loyal to the Bulgarian state or Transylvanian Romanian loyal to the Hungarian state. It just wouldn't happen.

A bit off-topic but interesting point, I think Woodrow Willson's Self-Determination Principle from World War I, fixed the ethnic problems, not completely but to a significant margin.

Pre-WW1 map:
tiGs7iONk1viP582yYcGLOd2rerPxOte9mQKmSzsKwg.jpg

Pre-WW2 map:
3gav87xdwup41.jpg

Reactions:
Playing as the US

All DLC enabled no mods iron man on historical

I'm currently experiencing a bug where advisors and country leaders have no names, so not only is it kind of hard to figure out who everyone is but it leads to some weird incidents when say for example you need FDR to be USA's leader to trigger the 50 PP decisions to help the UK I can't choose them because the game doesn;t think he's the current president.

That also reminds me; the UK never does operation Catapult, ever.

Update: Estonia and Lithuania were guaranteed by the UK for some reason on historical leading to a much different WW2

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but the UK is consistently guaranteeing Lithuania, preventing the USSR from historically annexing them with historical focuses on.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Have subjects stopped sending calls to arms to other faction members? I've tested two games as Germany in which Slovakia hasn't immediately brought Italy into the war after I invaded Poland.

Is there a bug with Rudolf Hess's flight? I capitulated France in 1939 in my first Germany test game and he was still alive, well, and advising me in 1942. This was on historical settings with default AI behavior across the board.
I think it's a good thing if puppets won't drag people into my war without my permission.

I experienced a similar bug playing UK in which Chamberlain was still the PM when Barbarossa happened. Churchill never stepped up.

Reactions:
Is the bug that makes volunteer units vanish following the SCW happening to all nations? What about in China - anyone lose volunteers there?

Not sure about China, but I've lost volunteers to Spain and Germany as USSR on numerous occasions, so this is certainly not restricted to the Spanish Civil War alone.

I think it's a good thing if puppets won't drag people into my war without my permission.
I actually suggested a change to this effect awhile back. I'm mainly asking to find out if it's a bug and whether it applies to all puppets or only to low-autonomy puppets.

I experienced a similar bug playing UK in which Chamberlain was still the PM when Barbarossa happened. Churchill never stepped up.
Ok. I'll assume it's broken for now then, thanks.

Can you also fix Japan declaring war on the Philippines too early? They mostly declare war on the Philippines around May 1941, even before Germany declares war on the USSR. The Japanese AI also declares war on the Philippines when they have not even completed Strike the Southern Resources Area.

Reactions:
Was anyone losing volunteer forces [upon return] prior to the first patches? I played a game last week on the day the DLC released and I got my volunteers back. THe error might be something in one of the patches, not the DLC itself.

Reactions:
thanks for detailed report! how sure are you that the same problem isnt on the live version of the game? I dont see anywhere we touched navies for this one... at least not intentionally

At time of testing yesterday, not sure at all (I was just responding to the comments in the thread - I haven't had a chance to get in a naval battle yet - I know, I should wash my mouth out with Admiralty fuel oil*) - but after a quick revert to the non-beta version and some more console shenanigans, it looks like it was an issue in the live version - but may not have been as serious an issue, but it wasn't an issue in 1.10.8 (Collie) - details in the spoiler - if any more ferreting around would help, please don't hesitate to ask :). I'd need to test more situations to see how much of an issue it was (and am very happy to if that would help), but my guess would be there's a fair chance this is an important one.

As to why it's happening, maybe changes to weather or naval terrain? If it would help for me to have a ferret in the files between the different versions, let me know - I've dropped my 1.10.8 game files off to one side, so should be able to compare them with new live and new open beta without too much hassle.

On the current live version it's also in issue (in my defence, I hadn't got around to fighting anyone with a navy with the USSR before 1.11.4 dropped) - however, the values are a bit different - the FRA values earlier were about a third of what they are here (they bounce around a bit, but more or less) and the ENG values were -6 or 7%, not -9% - in both cases I let it run a bit and checked a few instances, but there is a chance I'm being led astray in a potential difference by RNG - but could possible changes to weather have influenced spotting?) - if I haven't fluffed it, in the live version of the game, the successful searching side in this example searches three times as fast as in the beta:
1638245683291.png
1638245757832.png

If I go back to 1.10.8, I get (as well as a decent-sized download!):

A menu screen I wasn't expecting (which is, I might add, a cracker of a menu screen - big props to the artist)
1638246944964.png

and
1638247140957.png
1638247175122.png

* Don't try this at home.

• 3Like
Reactions: