• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Schlieffen

Crusty Old Medieval German Baron
112 Badges
Nov 21, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
CKRPG — Kingdom of Albion
qrryeyQ.png

Æthelbald of Mercia sought to unify the scattered Anglo-Saxon kingdoms under a single crown, and when the Kingdom of Wessex was finally brought to its knees in 731 AD he had accomplished his goal. Æthelbald ruled this new kingdom with guile and cunning, and over his long reign he slowly eroded the power of the church and nobility until his rule was nearly absolute. His skill on the battlefield made quick work of his foes, but despite his ambitions he actually had very few rivals: His kingdom and its people were rich from trade and tribute from all of Britain, and his skill and charisma made it so even his detractors had to offer their respect.

The year is now 770 AD, and Æthelbald the Great lies on his deathbed. He ruled healthily for decades, so the realm's power remained firmly in his hands until the very end. His apparent heir and his family died in a tragic fire just a few years ago, leaving only a politically disfavored grandson to inherit the throne. The various tribes kept under heel have been preparing for decades for England's grip to loosen. And perhaps worst of all, a storm is brewing in Scandinavia that will change the fate of Europe forever. With fate apparently aligned against it, the fate of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom is now left in the hands of its most prominent nobles.

In this ahistorical Britain, players create a powerful Anglo-Saxon family. The game's focus is on diplomacy, politics, and intrigue: A landless noble in the king's good graces can be more powerful than any duke. The game is also more about interesting stories than playing to "win": An insane duke that alienates his vassals is far more welcome than yet another perfect noble who can do no wrong.

A turn takes place every week, and players are expected to post orders every turn. Rather than a turn being a fixed amount of time, the GMs will occasionally announce that we've entered the next half-decade. An in-game decade will almost always be far longer than a real-world month, but this allows inactive periods to pass quickly without rushing role-playing too much.

If this sounds interesting, feel free to check out the Rules and CKRPG Subforum and take a look. If you have any questions or want to join, just post here. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I'm hopeless. :D

Doing one last pass of the rules before posting them in a bit. Things have been really stripped-down to make things as likely to succeed as possible: The setting makes it so we don't have AFK France Syndrome, players are limited to a single order every turn so things are easy to run and balance is less of an issue, players need to send that order in every turn so we won't have players claiming a realm and then just taking up space for several weeks, and the rules actively encourage players to not trust each other too much so we hopefully won't have the Ottoman Crusades.

Eventually I'll be moving this thread to the main Forum Games area to serve as our recruitment/discussion thread, with a redirect sticky here as well. Part of simplifying things has been removing the dozens of stickies to sort through and keep updated: If we actually need it, we can add it later.

Ok, stubs in place. Any thoughts/interest? :)

EDIT: Keeping this thread in here for a few days so the old-timers can have first say.

Last edited:
Ok, stubs in place. Any thoughts/interest? :)

EDIT: Keeping this thread in here for a few days so the old-timers can have first say.

I would be interested in playing, though I’m not sure I count as an old timer. The game’s setting works well, esspecially considering it will likely increase the amount of behind the scenes intrigue. I also think the “one order” system will also force codependency on neighboring players or a player’s vassal.

"Old timers" as in people who check this subforum (even if it's less religiously than I do :D ). The plan is to move this thread to the main Forum Games section with a redirect, but I wanted to give previous players a chance to sign up early or voice any concerns.

Will players be limited to inside Francia or will they be permitted to chose characters in outside realms?
The rules are heavily based around intrigue and internal politics, so the plan is to limit things to within Francia and its successors. Things may expand later if there's enough interest and/or things get crowded.

The rules are heavily based around intrigue and internal politics, so the plan is to limit things to within Francia and its successors. Things may expand later if there's enough interest and/or things get crowded.

Alright, I wonder how large interest will be. I can’t wait to be a greedy, lathargic noble. In a unrelated question, if all characters die, from assasination, disease, etc. will a player take on the role of their successor, or be out of the game.

Alright, I wonder how large interest will be. I can’t wait to be a greedy, lathargic noble. In a unrelated question, if all characters die, from assasination, disease, etc. will a player take on the role of their successor, or be out of the game.
The dynasty thing isn't a hard rule: If all of your relatives die you can always make a new character to act as a successor (the rebellious noble that will end up killing your current main character, for example). I just prefer keeping things limited to dynastic rulers and close family members so we don't have one player claiming half the map with a dozen different families.

Anyway, if anyone actually wants to sign up, you can do so now right here (I figure having an extra Inscriptions/etc. thread is just complicating things). You can list your starting character(s) and the background you want them to have, and I'll turn it into something on-map once we have a few signups. Your initial character should aim for something roughly count level, although I imagine many early dynasties will be boosted before we actually start to "fill out" the map a bit.

Glad to see the thread is moved, hope we get some more sign ups. If you have any problems with my signups let me know and I'll try to change them.

William I, Count of Rouergue (Age 39) - A greedy, shrewd noble who served as the previous Count of Rouergue’s chancellor and advisor, well known for his personal wealth and skill with money. Only a matter of months, after being accused by the former Count of corruption and the siphoning of taxes, William inherited the county when the Count died of a “mysterious illness” and left a will proclaiming him his inheritor. Due to this, William is surrounded by the rumors of his court, most malignant, and is regarded as highly untrustworthy by those outside of his personal council, most of whom he keeps on a tight payroll. Of these rumors, William’s personal cruelty is widespread throughout the lands he rules, with hundreds of stories following tales of his misdeeds, from his explosive temper to rumored torturing of those who don’t serve him properly. Feared by many, and respected by few, William stands politically isolated inside of his own court.

Senegund I, Countess of Rouergue (Age 35) - The wife of William, she serves as his voice piece in court. One of the few people William gives trust, and more importantly, one with the court’s respect, Senegund is the most “normal” of the family. Though Senegund is considerably below par in most respects, having none of her husband’s economic skill, she serves as a competent negotiator.

Raymond of Rouergue (Age 17) - His father’s prodigy and heir, Raymond was trained to rule, and to excel. Though his economic skills are on par, if not better, than his father’s, the pressure placed upon him has led to him being incredibly unstable. Prone to bouts of ranting, paranoia, and insanity, he poses a danger to those around him, and is a mockery at court. Though William has done and spent much to restore his son’s sanity, but no solution has occurred.

Fulcoald of Rouergue (Age 13) - While William had taken as much care as possible to raise Raymond every step of the way, Fulcoald grew up ignored by his father and mother. His family, not deeming it necessary to raise him, instead assigned him to be raised in a local monastery at the age of four. Because of this, Fulcoald continues to grow up isolated from the rest of the family, even despising them to an extent. His upbringing has also resulted in him being both highly pious and educated, as well as growing a distaste for material possessions. Still only 13, Fulcoald has yet to reach maturity, and shall continue his monastic education for many years.

If you have any problems with my signups let me know and I'll try to change them.

Nope, that sounds great. Any preferences as to stats, or should I just make some up myself? :)

If Brittany is close enough/allowed, count me in.
Well, the focus of the game is on internal politicking, so that would only work if you were a part of the Empire — you're a Breton that swore fealty to the Franks hoping to use their might to conquer his rivals for example, or a Frankish noble bordering Brittany that sees their lands as a place to build a legacy. If you can think of something that puts you inside the empire though, then expanding the borders a little bit should be fine. :)

Nope, that sounds great. Any preferences as to stats, or should I just make some up myself? :)

Well, the focus of the game is on internal politicking, so that would only work if you were a part of the Empire — you're a Breton that swore fealty to the Franks hoping to use their might to conquer his rivals for example, or a Frankish noble bordering Brittany that sees their lands as a place to build a legacy. If you can think of something that puts you inside the empire though, then expanding the borders a little bit should be fine. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_I,_King_of_Brittany

Well you learn something new every day. :D

I'll need to know what you want in terms of characters & stats, but I can handle the title/realm stuff based on that article.

Oh, and both of you can also open a court thread in the CKRPG subforum: That's a place where RP specifically directed at you will tend to go, and players also tend to use the first few posts as a place to give information about their characters and realms. The current plan is to start the game in one week. :)

Well you learn something new every day. :D

I'll need to know what you want in terms of characters & stats, but I can handle the title/realm stuff based on that article.

Oh, and both of you can also open a court thread in the CKRPG subforum: That's a place where RP specifically directed at you will tend to go, and players also tend to use the first few posts as a place to give information about their characters and realms. The current plan is to start the game in one week. :)

The ducal family, my opponents in Britanny and some cash/troop stats.

The ducal family, my opponents in Britanny and some cash/troop stats.
Sorry, I meant the specific characters you want to have in the game and the stats you'd like them to have (Diplomacy, Stewardship, etc). I suggest maybe reading the rules pretty quickly — It isn't very complicated and almost all of the work is on my end, but the stats are a little more "solid" here than some other forum games. :)

Any limits to how powerful we can start as a dynasty? Are we restricted in the beginning to being a comital family?