• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Quinzal

Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe
23 Badges
Jan 12, 2017
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
ONWARD, TOWARD PERFECTION

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click the chapter you'd like to view here. The arrows at the top of each chapter will bring you back to the Table of Contents.

▼ Prologue ▼
Hidden Truth

▼ Chapter 1-1 ▼
Beginnings
▼ Chapter 1-2 ▼
Freedom
▼ Chapter 1-3 ▼
Anecdote
▼ Chapter 1-4 ▼
Connections

▼ Chapter 2-1 ▼
It Begins
▼ Chapter 2-2 ▼
Communications Established
▼ Chapter 2-3 ▼
The Watcher
▼ Chapter 2-4 ▼
Eternal End

▼ Interim ▼

▼ Chapter 3-1 ▼
And We Rise
▼ Chapter 3-2 ▼
As You Were
▼ Chapter 3-3 ▼
Unto The Breach
▼ Chapter 3-4 ▼
Hear and Think

▼ Chapter 4-1 ▼
New Tomorrows, Old Todays
▼ Chapter 4-2 ▼
The Silence Is Deafening
▼ Chapter 4-3 ▼
Another Problem in Paradise

94_8.jpg

Prologue: Hidden Truth

Log 105-21951114D | Navigator Marc Veranus 005-201-155-1, Voidcraft Designation "Dealbringer"

Deckhand Vis spotted a databank floating in the void during our routine survey of the Cluster. It seemed like an exceedingly old thing, using a port type that didn't come standard in Enclave ships anymore. It probably had some value, but our contract conveniently mentioned that we were bound to bring any archaeological finds back to Central Archaeology back on the Vault, in case it was dangerous or provided some useful insight to the Enclave. We fully intended to do so, or at least I was, but I guess his curiosity got the best of him because halfway back to port I heard static playing over the intercom.

I put the ship on autopilot and went to check on him. Apparently he knew more about computational engineering than he originally let on with his resume, because in the span of an hour he had hotwired the databank directly into the main ship computer's dataport. Luckily for us it didn't contain some virus or other mechanism to ensure the deaths of everyone on this ship, but it would still cost us to repair whatever he did to the port. I sent him over to Fadia to be disciplined, but as I was leaving the room to resume my duties, the contents of the databank displayed on the screen piqued my curiosity.

It was a single audio file, only taking up a fraction of a percent of the databank's storage capacity. It, as well as the drive, were unnamed.

While I don't know if what drove me to do what I did next was my curiosity or my concern for the integrity of the drive now that it was haphazardly connected to our ship's network, I ended up copying the file to my personal storage. I called Loreia in to repackage the drive and went back to my station to begin docking maneuvers.

End of Expedition Report

Name: Marc Pius Veranus
Permit Number: 005-201-155-1
Designation: Navigator
Purpose of Expedition: Survey
Expedition Target: Shattered World Remnant 001-A "Cluster"

Date of Expedition Start: 11-10-2195
Date of Expedition End: 11-14-2195
Departure Dock: EV-005 "Drydock Alpha"
Return Dock: EV-012 "Central Archaeology"

Number of Crew Departing: 12
Number of Crew Returning: 12

Onboarding Incidents: 0
Expedition Incidents: 1
Docking Incidents: 0
Offboarding Incidents: 1

Incident Report

Onboarding Incidents:

Expedition Incidents:
One incident. Crew member permit number 012-405-003-4 compromised archaeological discovery. Disciplinary action taken during expedition. No further action needed.

Docking Incidents:

Offboarding Incidents:
One incident. Crew member permit number 012-405-003-4 verbally berated and physically assaulted Central Archaeology officer during relinquishment of archaeological discovery. Punitive action taken by on-site Enclave authorities. No further action needed.

Log 105-21951121A | Navigator Marc Veranus 005-201-155-1, Voidcraft Designation "Dealbringer"

Begin logs for expedition to Asteroid Field Section 50-D12.

Departure went without incident, though we waited a few hours for Vis to show up. I eventually contacted Central Enforcement to check what happened to him, and it was only then that they decided to tell me that he was being held for further questioning, and that he was effectively relieved from duty by order of Lieutenant Galeria Linus.

We should be fine one expedition without the extra help; if we need repairs, there's a mining outpost out that way in the system that we can pay for maintenance. But what piques my interest is the fact that he had the outburst a few days ago in the first place. He seemed to have a very mild-mannered attitude toward most things, so unless he was a secret sociopath, it doesn't make any sense.

The only thing I can think of is that audio file that he found on the databank. From what I saw, it was a couple minutes long, though he only got through about 45 seconds before I interrupted him. What may he have heard that drove him to get himself arrested so brazenly in the capital station? It's a wonder any data survived on the thing at all, drifting for so long in the vacuum as it was...

We have half a solar day before we reach our target, so I have plenty of time to relax with the autopilot on. After I finish dealing with Central Bureaucracy's latest stack of headache, I'll take a look at it.

Transcript: untitled.eaf | 00:02:31

The audio file begins with heavy static. For about 10 seconds, unintelligible voices can be heard amidst heavy breathing and rapid footsteps.

A loud thud is heard, and the heavy breathing becomes more clear as its source gets closer to the recording device. The static clears a bit as a voice begins speaking.

My name is Adamus. The year is 2107. I'm an engineer under the employ of the High Curator. Don't believe him. Don't believe any of them. They're trying to get us all--

The speaking voice is interrupted by a loud thud, followed by the sound of splintering wood and rapid footsteps. The voice continues as its source seems to be running.

I was working directly with the man who designed the orbital habitat. They told us... They told the engineers the same thing that they told the rest of us, that it was supposed to be a refuge from the end of the world.

But I heard from him that he heard the truth, and that they've all been lying to us. The world is fine.

The running stops, and light, slow footsteps are heard as the voice lowers to a whisper.

These monsters who lord over us are so obsessed with their idea of so-called 'ascension' that they're putting all our lives at risk just to light the fire under us. They need to be perfect, they want us to be 'perfect,' but a different kind of perfect than their perfect.

They're going to move as many of us as they can into space, and plant one of them prototype hyperdrives in a deep mantle borehole to destabilize the core of the planet. Everyone left on the surface will die. They hope that this will force us to adapt, become a star-spanning civilization, expedite this 'ascension.' All at the price of billions of lives.

The footsteps stop.

They found out that we knew their plan. They already killed the lead engineer, and everyone else who figured it out. I'm the only one left. They labeled me a conspirator, and my recorder an explosive, so the enforcers wouldn't question the order to fill me full of kinetics.

My name is Adamus Cato. Remember me as an engineer who loved his work, not a conspirator. But don't look me up in a database because they'll kill you too.

Don't believe the Curators. You're a pawn on their board.

A loud metal scraping sound is heard near the recording device, and the speaker places the device down.

And... Velia, I know you'll probably never hear this, but know that I will love you always, even if you spit on my name for the rest of your days. I just hope you and the kids are some of the lucky ones.

A loud metal thud is heard, and all there is for a time is static. 15 seconds later, muffled shouting is heard between the original speaker and several others. Several muffed kinetic weapon discharges are heard shortly before a loud suction sound punctuates the recording. No other sounds are heard except for intensifying static, which lasts until the abrupt end of the recording.

End of Expedition Report

Name: Fadia Acca Luzi
Permit Number: 006-301-828-9
Designation: Bureaucrat
Expedition Target: Asteroid Field Section 50-D12

Date of Expedition Start: 11-21-2195
Date of Expedition End: 11-23-2195
Departure Dock: EV-006 "Drydock Beta"
Return Dock: EV-002 "Central Enforcement"

Number of Crew Departing: 11
Number of Crew Returning: 10

Expedition Incidents: 2
Docking Incidents: 0
Offboarding Incidents: 0

Incident Report

Onboarding Incidents:

Expedition Incidents:
Our former commanding officer, Navigator Marc Pius Veranus, was accused of conspiracy and spreading dissent by several members of our crew and several operators of the 50-D12-1 Mining Outpost. He was taken into custody by an on-site Enforcement Officer. As second-in-command, I took charge of the expedition.

After the arrest of Navigator Veranus, our crew and ship were ordered by Central Enforcement to recall to the Eternal Vault effective immediately for questioning and inspection. This survey expedition will be concluded by Navigator Vitruvia Gavi Cita and her crew on voidcraft designation "Paperweight." No further action required.

Docking Incidents:

Offboarding Incidents:

ec9965c66d0442b697a7af6143a280c0.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
maxresdefault.jpg

Chapter 1-1: Beginnings
Communique: Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 - - - > High Bureaucrat Alanus Abito 001-504-302-1 | 05-29-2199 11:35:01

Good morning, sir.

My name is Vitruvia, and I currently work as a Navigator for the Surveyor Commissary. I was hoping to apply for the opportunity to accompany or even pilot one of the hyperdrive survey ships planned to be sent out next year.

It has always been a dream of mine to see worlds outside of our home system, so I decided I would apply for the initiative while you were still talent-hunting.

Attached to this message is the information requested on the website for the initiative-- if there is anything else or any other questions you may have please let me know.

Thank you,

Nav. Vitruvia Cita

[[ 3 ATTACHMENTS: vc_certifications.vd, vc_qualifications.vd, vc_references.vd ]]

Communique: High Bureaucrat Alanus Abito 001-504-302-1 - - - > Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 | 05-29-2199 12:01:55

Hello Nav. Cita, and thank you for contacting the Vault Curator Seat Bureaucracy.

You would be correct in that we are still looking for worthy crew members for the Galactic Staging Initiative. Specifically, we are looking for deckhands, navigators, scientists, and bureaucrats with several years of experience in their respective positions, as well as proven discipline and little-to-no legal or safety infractions. Judging from the references you sent, you more than qualify. Lieutenant Galeria Linus in particular speaks very highly of you. However, there are a few things you need to agree to first.

Entering this position means direct employment by the VCS, with all the rules that accompany such a position. Additionally, the Galactic Staging Initiative will have a set of guidelines of it's own, though you shouldn't be unfamiliar with some of the points as, as far as I know, they are quite similar to the ones outlined in many Surveyor Commissary contracts.

Additionally, of course, traversing such uncharted space will come with a wide host of risks. While our xenobiologists have long catalogued what little organic life existed within our home system outside of the habitats and Cluster, they speculate that life could take any form in the varied conditions of greater galactic space. This is, of course, not counting the inherent risk of possible extreme stellar radiation, mind rot, xenophagic diseases, chaotic orbital patterns, hostile planetside conditions, and a myriad of other factors we have no way of knowing about at this point in our history.

By signing up to be a Navigator for the VCS Galactic Staging Initiative, you must be prepared to risk your life.

Do you still wish to apply knowing these things?

VAULT CURATOR SEAT BUREAUCRACY
010-510-303-0
High Bureaucrat Alanus Cyprius Abito

Communique: Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 - - - > High Bureaucrat Alanus Abito 001-504-302-1 | 05-29-2199 12:05:32

Sir,

Yes, I still wish to apply knowing these things. I believe the recruiter who signed me up for the Surveyor Commissary told me similar things, and my circumstances have not changed very much. I have no living family and as such have dedicated my life to the Commissary for the past decade of my life. If I can continue to do the thing that I love while also helping the Enclave, I would be honored.

Nav. Vitruvia Cita

Communique: High Bureaucrat Alanus Abito 001-504-302-1 - - - > Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 | 05-29-2199 13:02:54

Nav. Cita,

Very good. If you are in possession of a HoloSign, please fill out sign the documents below and forward them back to me at your soonest convenience. If you are not in possession of a HoloSign, we will have to schedule an appointment for you to come to the VCS Bureaucracy to do the necessary paperwork.

VAULT CURATOR SEAT BUREAUCRACY
010-510-303-0
High Bureaucrat Alanus Cyprius Abito

[[ 2 ATTACHMENTS: vcs_Contract.vhs, gsi_Contract.vhs ]]

Attachment: vcs_Contract.vhs

Thank you for your interest in employment for the Vault Curator Seat! The High Curator and the Curator Group appreciate your devotion to the Enclave.

Employment under the Vault Curator Seat is employment under the people of the Enclave, for the people of the Enclave. By filling out this contract, you are agreeing to the terms of employment listed, as well as subservience to your superiors according to the Direct Employment Clause 48-B. In addition to the terms listed, by filling out this form you are confirming that you will be capable of working flexibly as well as being relocated based on your assigned position.

This employment agreement is made as of ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ (Date) by and between

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ (First Name)
⠀⠀⠀⠀ (Middle Initial)
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ (Last Name)

and the Vault Curator Seat. Both parties agree to be bound by the terms set forth in this agreement as follows:

Employment. VCS Employer shall employ the applying party under this agreement. In this capacity, the VCS Employer shall be bound to perform duties to the applicant such as rapid and consistent pay distribution, proper application of benefits, prompt notification ahead of any large changes to the applicant's current situation, as well as prompt notification ahead of any changes to the expected duties of the applicant.

Performance of Duties. By filling out this form, the applicant agrees henceforth following employment to fulfill the following duties as ⠀Navigator⠀:

Professional navigation skills in accordance with GSI standards⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Subservience to the requirements of your direct superiors as outlined in the Direct Employment Clause 48-B and by GSI standards⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀
Complete subservience to the requests of the High Curator and the Curator Group as outlined in the Direct Employment Clause 48-B⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Compensation. As compensation for services provided by the applicant and adherence to the terms listed in this agreement, the employer will provide

560,000⠀⠀⠀⠀ Q

per year, provided in parts on a bi-weekly basis.

By signing this application and submitting it to the recruiting High Bureaucrat, you agree to the terms of this agreement.

X ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Applicant Signature

X Alanus Cyprius Abito 001-504-302-1⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
High Bureaucrat Signature

Glory to the High Curator!

Attachment: gsi_Contract.vhs

GALACTIC STAGING INITIATIVE CONTRACT

By signing this contract in conjunction with a fully filled out VCS Employment Form, you are agreeing to the following terms as a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative:

As a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative, you must ensure that you fill out an Expedition Report at the end of every venture sponsored by the GSI.

As a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative, you must ensure that you use your best judgement during every venture, including refraining from consuming mind-altering substances.

As a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative, you must ensure that any valuable finds are immediately reported to your immediate superior. If such a find is archaeological in nature, it must be brought to or shipped to the Central Archaeology for processing.

As a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative, you must ensure that you refrain from direct contact with any intelligent life not consisting of individuals of the Eternal race.

As a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative, you and any immediate family are not liable to any benefits outside of pre-existing or provided insurance should you become deceased during a GSI-sponsored venture.

As a member of the Galactic Staging Initiative, you will devote yourself to the proliferation of the state of the VCS and Enclave.

X ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Applicant Signature

Communique: Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 - - - > High Bureaucrat Alanus Abito 001-504-302-1 | 05-29-2199 13:58:21

Sir,

I have filled out the contracts as you requested, and they are attached here. However, I have a few questions.

In the contracts it mentions 'subservience' several times. I was wondering what this is supposed to imply? Also, I've never heard of any Direct Employment Clause, and this would be my 6th job... Is that new?

Also, what exactly is meant by the 'proliferation of the state'?

[[ 2 ATTACHMENTS: vcs_Contractcompleted.vhs, gsi_Contractcompleted.vhs ]]

Communique: Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 - - - > High Bureaucrat Alanus Abito 001-504-302-1 | 05-29-2199 16:51:25

I'm sorry for being a bother, but I haven't heard from you in a few hours and I was hoping you could answer those questions for me.

Communique: Automated VCS Network - - - > Navigator Vitruvia Cita 010-510-303-0 | 05-30-2199 08:00:06

Congratulations on your acceptance into the Galactic Staging Initiative!

Your old designation was:
NAVIGATOR (NAV)

Your new designation is:
VCS NAVIGATOR (NAV)

Your old permit number was:
010-510-303-0

Your new permit number is:
005-320-506-1

Please update your records accordingly.

Your training is scheduled to begin at 07-01-2199 at 08:00:00. Please travel to Auxillary Bureaucracy at dock GF-005 within the Great Forge station at least one day in advance for processing.

We at the GSI look forward to meeting you!

d35f4580f45dade8a660ad745a9186d3.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
That's a hell of a start.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
wp3026212.png

Chapter 1-2: Freedom
Log 202-22000125A | VCS Navigator Vitruvia Cita 005-320-506-1, Voidcraft Designation "GSI Mucianus"

This is the beginning of the Navigator logs for the survey route through the Saldar and Yacury systems.

...It almost feels unreal to say. How many of our kind have dreamed of traversing beyond the bounds of our home stars since the conception of our species? And here I sit, at the forefront of our efforts, warming up a brand new hyperdrive to take myself and a group of honed individuals light years from home in the blink of an eye. It almost feels weird. We've had the ability to traverse the void between planets for decades, living in orbital stations, yet only now have we cracked the code to expand ever further.

(I should probably stop monologuing... The Lieutenant is going to be reading this, after all.)

Onboard the voidcraft designated the GSI Mucianus is me, VCS Science Officer Drusus Allectius, VCS Bureaucrat Yman Gallus... and some deckhands and maintenance crew I have yet to learn the names of.

Our task is to survey the Saldar and Yacury systems, connected to our home gravity well via 'hyperlanes,' a subspace phenomena that allows a ship to pierce into 'hyperspace' and thus travel faster than light... I think. That's how Drusus explained it to me, anyway. They didn't tell the Navigators much about how it worked during training.

Oh, I just got a communique saying that we're good to release into hyperspace whenever we're ready. Here goes nothing...

Transcript: Voidcraft Designation "GSI Mucianus" Automated Surveillance Recording: Bridge (01-25-2200 ??:??:??) | 00:01:03

Unidentifiable Voice 1: "Oh my..."

Unidentifiable Voice 2: "It's beautiful. So many stars..."

Unidentifiable Voice 3 (Distant): "Get back to your stations! We need to ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** computer tells us when we need to exit hyperspace!"

Unidentifiable Voice 2: "Drusus, have you ever seen anything like this?"

Unidentifiable Voice 4: "I'd be lying if I said I could even imagine what it would be like."

Unidentifiable Voice 1: "It was all worth it..."

Unidentifiable Voice 3 (Distant): "I'm not going to tell you ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** killed before we ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** the entry point--"

A loud popping sound is heard.

Unidentifiable Voice 5: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

Unidentifiable Voice 4: "Should that device there be spitting sparks?"

Unidentifiable Voice 2: "That's a camera! Here, help me--"

** END OF RECORDING **

End of Expedition Report

Name: Vitruvia Gavi Cita
Permit Number: 005-320-506-1
Designation: VCS Navigator
Expedition Target: Star System Designation "Yacury", Star System Designation "Saldar"

Date of Expedition Start: 01-25-2200
Date of Expedition End: 03-15-2200
Return Dock: GF-005 "Auxiliary Bureaucracy"

Number of Crew Departing: 16
Number of Crew Returning: 16

Expedition Incidents: 2
Docking Incidents: 1
Offboarding Incidents: 1

Incident Report

Onboarding Incidents:

Expedition Incidents:
Incident one: Several members of crew, including VCS Science Officer Drusus Allectius, failed to observe proper procedure for hyperspace travel on Brilliance > Yaldar route and failed to follow orders of Navigator. Connection to failure of in-ship surveillance equipment unknown. On-ship bureaucrat notified.

Incident two: Hyperspace exit point Brilliance > Yaldar overshot by approximately 5 AU. No serious ramifications were discovered other than the failure of several non-vital voidcraft systems due to subspace backlash. Expedition will continue as normal. No further action required.

Docking Incidents:
Incident one: Automated docking mechanism was unnoticed as one of the previously damaged systems, leading to an inability to properly dock. Crew was evacuated from voidcraft via shuttle and is scheduled to be towed to EV-084 for maintenance. No further action required.

Offboarding Incidents:
Incident one: Unbeknownst to me, I have been reported to Auxiliary Command on the Great Forge station by an unknown party for an unknown infraction, and am currently scheduled for disciplinary action. Next expedition is not for a few days, so no further action should be required.

Transcript: Auxiliary Command Chamber Alpha 52: Disciplinary Action | High Bureaucrat 009-303-121-0 > VCS Navigator Vitruvia Gavi Cita 005-320-506-1 (03-16-2200 12:00:13) | 00:08:32

009-303-121-0: "Beginning of disciplinary conversaion. How are you doing today, Navigator?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "I'm doing ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** don't quite understand--"

009-303-121-0: "Please speak into the recorder."

Nav. Vitruvia: "Sorry. I don't quite understand why I was interrupted from my duties to be brought here."

009-303-121-0: "A contract violation was reported by your superior officer during your recent expedition; your first expedition under the VCS and GSI, if I'm not mistaken."

Nav. Vitruvia: "I still don't understand. What part of my contract did I breach?"

The shuffling of some papers can be heard, followed by the sound of a chair scraping against the floor.

009-303-101-0: "Right here, and... right here. It states that total subservience to your superior officer is expected as a VCS Navigator. Now, although you're very new working under the VCS, you have a long track record, so we'll only let you off with a--"

Nav. Vitruvia: "What? I didn't recieve a single comminique during the expedition. I followed every order I was given to the letter."

009-303-101-0: "Comminque, ma'am?"

There are a few seconds of silence.

009-303-101-0: "Ma'am?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "Do... you not know what I mean by comminque?"

009-303-101-0: "I understand what a communique is, but I fail to grasp the bearing it has on this conversation. Did you commonly communicate with your shipmates via communicator when you worked at the Surveyor Commission?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "Shipmates? We didn't have a superior officer on-board with us. It was me, Yman, Drusus--"

009-303-101-0: "You were on the GSI Mucianus, correct? That ship should have been accompanied by a VCS Science Officer."

Nav. Vitruvia: "Yes... that was Drusus."

009-303-101-0: "Then Drusus was your superior officer. That should have been explained to you during your training."

Nav. Vitruvia: "That doesn't really make much sense. Not only was that not explained to me, but shouldn't the person giving orders be the person piloting the ship?"

Slight clicking and tapping sounds are heard, reminiscent of someone removing ocular-lens sight enhancers.

009-303-101-0: "I apologize then on behalf of the VCS that you were not notified of the GSI's heirarchy. However, the duty of ships like the Mucianus is twofold: Surveying of uncharted territories, and the discovery of anomalous behaviors that must be studied."

009-303-101-0: "Yes, you are in charge of piloting the ship, but you must also respect the orders of any accompanying Science Officer to the letter. Not only do they rank close to Curators-- glory be to them-- in the heirarchy, but you must be vigilant for any anomalous behavior should they be fleeting for any reason. It is the Science Officer's job on such a ship to spot them, collect data on them, and report said data back to Central Development or Central Archaeology respectively."

Nav. Vitruvia: "Hmm... I think I understand. I suppose that explains why he was so frustrated when I didn't want to deviate from our pre-set course to orbit that gas giant for a few days."

009-303-101-0: "One moment. Stay here while I fetch something from the other room; it might be good for you to hold on to."

Nav. Vitruvia: "Okay."

A chair scrapes against the floor once again, followed by footsteps, and a door opening and closing. It is silent for a minute and a half, with the silence broken by a heavy sigh from Navigator Vitruvia.

Nav. Vitruvia: "I could go for ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** about now..."

After a few more minutes of silence, the door opens and closes agains, with footsteps leading to a chair scraping and further dialogue.

009-303-101-0: "Here. This is a listing of the heirarchy. As you can see, Navigators rank above Bureaucrats and below Lieutenants and Captains. All the way up here you see the High Curator and the Curator Group-- glory be to them-- followed by Governors, and then Science Officers and Governors."

Nav. Vitruvia: "Interesting... Well, I'm grateful for you bringing this to my attention."

009-303-101-0: "Yes, the design of our Curators has been time tested and proven to be the most effective for maintaining stability within our stations. You are free to take this copy with you for future referencing."

There are a few seconds of silence.

009-303-101-0: "Well, that should conclude this action. Like I was going to say, we're letting you off with a warning here. You are free to return to your duties."

The sound of a chair scraping against the floor can be heard.

Nav. Vitruvia: "Okay. Thank you, Mr... what ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** name again?"

009-303-101-0: "Don't worry. Be on your way now."

Nav. Vitruvia: I...

Footsteps can be heard.

Nav. Vitruvia: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

A door opens, and closes.

** END OF RECORDING **

End of Expedition Report

Name: Vitruvia Gavi Cita
Permit Number: 005-320-506-1
Designation: VCS Navigator
Expedition Target: Survey Route AB10 - Begin System Designation "Belgium", End System Designation "Ascension's End"

Date of Expedition Start: 05-12-2209
Date of Expedition End: 01-30-2210
Return Dock: EV-005 "Drydock Alpha"

Number of Crew Departing: 16
Number of Crew Returning: 16

Onboarding Incidents: 99
Expedition Incidents: 99
Docking Incidents: 99
Offboarding Incidents: 99

Onboarding Incidents:

Expedition Incidents:

Docking Incidents:

Offboarding Incidents:
Incident one:

I don't know how much longer I can deal with this.
Curators be praised. No further action required.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
eso0908a-copy.jpg

Chapter 1-3: Anecdote
Transcript: Voidcraft Designation "GSI Mucianus" Automated Surveillance Recording: Navigator Quarters (11-01-2212 05:03:11) | 00:08:06

The soft turning of pages occupies the first few minutes of the recording, punctuated by a soft chime. There is a frenzied shuffling papers for a moment before any reply.

Nav. Vitruvia: "Why are you not resting? We're supposed to be awake at 07:00:00."

SO. Drusus (Muffled): "I could be ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** the same thing."

Nav. Vitruvia: "Oh, sorry, sir. Please enter."

The door to the room slides open and closed, followed by footsteps and the sound of a cushion deflating.

Nav. Vitruvia: "I'm awake going through these data sheets. Looking at the far-subspace recordings of Gargantua before we get there, so I know what to expect."

SO. Drusus: "That's an interesting thing to be doing during resting hours. We aren't even going to be arriving at Gargantua for another few jumps."

There is a moment of silence.

SO. Drusus: "Navigator?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "I don't know if I can do this anymore."

SO. Drusus: "Pardon?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "When I originally became a Navigator, I did so because I loved the degree of freedom it gave me. Sure we were confined to the home system, but when I could comb through as much of it as I wanted as long as I completed the goal of the expedition in a timely fashion, it was pretty nice."

SO. Drusus: "And it's any different now?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "Don't take this the wrong way, sir, but I've never been the type to appreciate having a superior down my throat every waking moment at work. At least, that's how I was during my decade at the Survey Commission. You'd think after a decade under the VCS I'd be more acclimated, but..."

SO. Drusus: "Mmm. No, I understand. Before I became a Science Officer I ran into the same types of mental blocks. My superior at the time, a man who went by Faustinius, was even worse than I am to you... even though I don't even think I'm being that bad."

Nav. Vitruvia: "No, you aren't bad. You're just doing your job. Pretty well, if my understanding of said job is correct. We've seen so much, learned so much..."

SO. Drusus: "Well, it's nice to hear someone say that, at least. Curators know the gov I take orders from doesn't give out a lot of praise."

Vitruvia chuckles for a moment.

Nav. Vitruvia: "Yeah, I feel that. The Lieutenant keeps breaking my neck over the tiniest mistakes in my expedition reports."

SO. Drusus: "Mmm."

There are a few moments of silence. The soft shuffling of papers is heard.

Nav. Vitruvia: "I was thinking... of quitting."

SO. Drusus: "Yeah? Hate me that much, huh?"

Vitruvia breaks out laughing.

Nav. Vitruvia: "No! Please, goodness, no. It's not you at all. Once I got past the whole hierarchy thing you were truly pleasant to work with. I just... miss my old digs, you know? I miss the Surveyor Commission, my old ship, my old crew... I wonder if they remember me?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "What's that look on your face?"

SO. Drusus: "Vitruvia... The Surveyor Commission was shut down."

SO. Drusus: "All the VCS Bureaucrats started going to the GSI for everything they were previously going to the Commission for. Eventually the Curators stepped in and shut them down, so they could repurpose their space on the habitat."

Nav. Vitruvia: "But that doesn't make any sense! The Commission was for patrols, upkeep, survey routines! I thought the GSI was meant for scientific purposes?"

SO. Drusus: "It is the will of the Curators. We can but only follow in their path."

Nav. Vitruvia: "To hell with it! Why is it that I'm more miserable when I finally achieve my dream than when I was making half my current salary in a beat-up junker of a survey ship?"

SO. Drusus: "Calm down..."

Nav. Vitruvia: "And now I can't even go back to that because it was too outside of the Curators' precious hierarchy to worry about? Well, to hell with them! To hell with their hierarchy!"

Vitruvia's voice gets louder for a moment, as if she stood up to speak directly into the surveillance recorder.

Nav. Vitruvia: "Do you hear me, Lieutenant? No matter what I would have done, you bastards would have ruined my life! So, to hell with all of you!"

Heavy footsteps grow more distant as a door in the room opens.

SO. Drusus: "Navigator, wait! You're... you're out of line!"

More, quickened footsteps follow as the door to the room closes.

** END OF RECORDING **

Transcript: Voidcraft Designation "GSI Mucianus" Automated Surveillance Recording: Bridge (11-01-2212 05:32:51) | 00:3:31

SO. Drusus: "Vitruvia, please think about what you're doing!"

Nav. Vitruvia: "Think? All I've been doing for the past 10 years is think! Think and be crammed in this box with an infallible arse breathing down my neck from all the way in the Vault!"

There is the sound of a terminal beeping and buttons being pressed.

SO. Drusus: "If you don't stop, I'll have to--"

Nav. Vitruvia: "Do what? Discharge me? I'm sure there's a legion of bureaucrats already working on it when the computer detected I was spitting on the name of Mara and her yes-people."

The ship is awoken, and the sound of several systems, most prominently the engines, powering up fills the air.

SO. Drusus: "...Where are you taking us?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "To the edge of the system. From there I'll take an FTL pod and see how far I can get from there."

SO. Drusus: "What?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "I don't have any quarrel with you, Drusus. Nor anyone else on the ship. You're just doing your job. But I'm not going to live in a system like the Enclave's anymore. Maybe I'll find a pirate den somewhere in orbit around Ascension's End."

There is silence, outside of the droning of the ship. Several soft footsteps are heard, punctuated by the sound of a kinetic projectile weapon cocking.

Nav. Vitruvia: "You could at least wait until I leave before you wake everyone up."

SO. Drusus: "Vitruvia... Don't you think this is a little extreme?"

Nav. Vitruvia: "Go back to bed, Drusus. I'll leave the ship in orbit around VIII-B so you all can wake up safe and sound."

There are several slow footsteps in the opposite direction. There is silence until the abrupt end of the recording.

** END OF RECORDING **

NOTICE OF DISCHARGE

Discharged Employee Name: Vitruvia Gavi Cita
Discharged Employee Designation: VCS Navigator (NAV)
Discharged Employee Permit Number: 005-320-506-1

Filing Superior: Galeria Endo Linus
Filing Superior Designation: VCS Lieutenant (LIEU)
Filing Superior Permit Number: 000-102-344-9

Observing Bureaucrat: Numeria Venator Sorio
Observing Bureaucrat Permit Number: 010-302-112-5

Reason for Discharge:
Blatant, outspoken dissent against the Enclave and the Curator Group
Risking lives of shipmates and superior officer
Disobeying orders of superior officer
Abandoning expedition mid-way
Not filing proper end of expedition report
General belligerence and insubordination

Date of Discharge: 11-22-2212

Discharged Employee New Designation: Potential Fugitive (PFUG)
Discharged Employee New Permit Number: NULL

Further Required Action:
Vitruvia Gavi Cita can be considered armed and dangerous, and is actively seeking out sympathizers in her dissent. Please notify Central Enforcement immediately. Evidence shall be granted upon request.

Glory to the Curators.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
1154074.png

Chapter 1-4: Connections

Public Broadcast from the Vault Curator Seat: High Curator Mara Opus (01-25-2213)

Thank you for tuning in, denizens of the Enclave. We here at the Vault Curator Seat sincerely hope that each and every one of you is having a wonderful cycle.

As the month draws to a close we have seen huge growth in many sectors of our civilization. New generator infrastructure built in the Celestial Engine habitat have lead to an abundance of produced energy, meaning that those who have put in requests for increased energy budgets can expect a more positive response very soon. Additionally, progress in the sector of zero-gravity crop cultivation means that not only are more job opportunities for those hoping to break into the agricultural field opening up, but breakthroughs in automation means that there will be a surplus of food available for all. You may expect this to be allocated to the more impoverished members of our society first.

However, not all have deigned themselves willing or worthy of taking part in the ever-increasing bounty given to you by your High Curator. Indeed, a growing number of our previously loyal citizens have apparently taken our growing knowledge of the expanse of space as a sign to splinter off and seek their own destinies away from the Enclave. While we usually may turn a blind eye to such actions, dissenting in nature or not, the fact that many seek out criminal elements of our society and use these new frontiers as their bases of operations are unacceptable.

Know this, denizens of the Enclave. The space in which we have chosen to inhabit belongs to the High Curator by right. It is only by the grace of the community and the government that you may use said space with any peace of mind. With that being said, it is not in the cards for one to both turn their back on the Enclave and exploit the Enclave's resources for one's own benefit.

If you are out there, we will find you, and you will be brought to justice not just for your crimes against me, but your crimes against kith, kin, and countrymen.

In other news, due to the aforementioned production boom, we have finally been able to allocate the resources to construct a new habitat. To be dubbed the 'Prospector Star,' this habitat will be made for the exploitation of newly discovered materials, in the Saldar system two hyperspace jumps from the Vault. For those seeking to have a new start in life, check in regularly on the construction of the Prospector Star; buy a mining ship of your own, and strike it rich in the dense asteroid belts of Saldar!

Know that every rock and pebble you recover for the Enclave, is another inch higher toward perfection we get.

Also on Prospector Star will be a myriad of drydocks, maintenance facilities, and an Auxiliary Bureaucracy, so that you do not have to make the grueling trips through space back to the Vault for all your needs.

Glory to the Curators. Glory to the Enclave.

Transcript: Unknown Communique (03-15-2213 01:23:30)

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "Notifying all frequencies. Inhabited FTL pod out of fuel adrift in orbit of Kuma primary. Food stores expected to last 13 more solar days. Please respond."

Unidentifiable Signal 1: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "Hello? Is anyone out there?"

There is a period of silence.

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "Hello?"

Several minutes of silence.

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "Notifying all frequencies. Inhabited FTL pod out of--"

Unidentifiable Signal 1: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

Unidentifiable Signal 2: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

Unidentifiable Signal 1: "My coordinates are 013050 030025 000034! Please respond!"

Unidentifiable Signal 2: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "Approaching ship! My coordinates are..."

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "What is your voidcraft designation?"

Unidentifiable Signal 3: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

GSI Mucianus FTL Pod 3: "Wait! Identify! Identify!"

The signal from the GSI Mucianus FTL Pod is slowly consumed by static before cutting out completely.

Unidentifiable Signal 3: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE ** ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

Unidentifiable Signal 1: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

Unidentifiable Signal 2: ** UNINTELLIGIBLE **

** END OF RECORDING **

Communique: Operator Stadius Baebio 530-302-211-0 - - - > Unidentifiable Destination | 08-22-2213 15:18:20

Mate, I think your communicator is broken. You can bring the ship in for maintenance here if you like.

Communique: Unidentifiable Origin - - - > Operator Stadius Baebio 530-302-211-0 | 08-22-2213 15:20:31

Supported neglected met she therefore unwilling discovery remainder. Way sentiments two indulgence uncommonly own. Diminution to frequently sentiments he connection continuing indulgence. An my exquisite conveying up defective. Shameless see the tolerably how continued. She enable men twenty elinor points appear. Whose merry ten yet was men seven ought.

Arrival entered an if drawing request. How daughters not promotion few knowledge contented. Yet winter law behind number stairs garret excuse. Minuter we natural conduct gravity if pointed oh no. Am immediate unwilling of attempted admitting disposing it. Handsome opinions on am at it ladyship.

[ Your communicator is taking abnormally long to process messages from this source. Consider running diagnostics and requesting them to do the same. ]

Communique: Operator Stadius Baebio 530-302-211-0 - - - > Unidentifiable Destination | 08-22-2213 15:22:15

Alright, if you don't want to come here for repairs, do you need directions back to the Vault? I don't see any SOS signals, so if you don't want repairs and you don't need help, stop sending me garbage.

Communique: Unidentifiable Origin - - - > Operator Stadius Baebio 530-302-211-0 | 08-22-2213 15:23:01

Received shutters expenses ye he pleasant. Drift as blind above at up. No up simple county stairs do should praise as. Drawings sir together landlord had law smallest. Formerly welcomed attended declared met say unlocked. Jennings outlived no dwelling denoting in peculiar as he believed. Behaviour excellent middleton be as it curiosity departure ourselves.

[ Your communicator is taking abnormally long to process messages from this source. Consider running diagnostics and requesting them to do the same. ]

Communique: Operator Stadius Baebio 530-302-211-0 - - - > Unidentifiable Destination | 08-22-2213 15:28:12

Alright mate, bug off. Maybe don't get lost next time.

[[ 1 ATTACHMENT: Belgium_Radiance_Route.hcf ]]

Communique: Operator Stadius Baebio 530-302-211-0 - - - > Unidentifiable Destination | 08-22-2213 16:30:54

Wait, I think I see your ship out there. That's an odd design... you'll have to tell me where you had it made.

Just shut off your weapons and I'll have you towed in.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
This is all excellent stuff! And I love the style you're going with!
Looking forward to seeing how it will all continue

• 1Love
Reactions:
Remarkable setup, extraordinary opening, that grips the attention immediately, and compels one to read it; moreover, it is powerful enough to bolster the courage of one to audaciously comment for the first time in the Stellaris galaxy of the AARland, despite knowing nothing about the game itself, apart from its wondrous AARs.

Kudos.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Nx-wgQCcHN3YKxi5cIk_DJ9hBlhwCigpIvJfZt-LHW4.jpg

Chapter 2-1: It Begins

Log 550-22351130A | VCS Envoy Stasmius Hadrus 001-300-113-5, Voidcraft Designation "VCS Shuttle Epsilon"

This log marks the beginning of a solo expedition to to the Kuma system.

I'm currently piloting an FTL shuttle equipped with state of the art life support features, storage, and comfort, befitting someone of my... status. I also have enough fuel, food, and water to make this trip 10 times, though I doubt I will be required to use even half of it. Apparently a lot of the features of this ship are recent developments, and I have the privilege to make use of them before even the higher echelons of our military.

Personally, I don't think this type of mission should afford such luxury, but when the orders come from on high, there's not much I can do in protest.

According to my sources, some aught years ago a few signals were picked up from the destination system... a conversation between what sounded like an Eternal voice and... something else. It was definitely a voice, but it made sounds that shouldn't be made by Eternal biology, said things that weren't part of any Eternal language.

Shortly after that, there was an attack on a mining outpost in the Belgium system. Similar signals were picked up, and though it filtered impossibly through the communicator of whatever poor sap spent his last moments trying to understand gibberish, the station's black box told us most of what we needed to know, and even gave us data samples... with data types completely unknown to all of Eternal society, including documented criminal elements. Though it likely wasn't some pirate attack, it didn't stop Central Enforcement from constantly pursuing this avenue breathing down the GSI's neck as much as possible, as the Eternal mentioned in the aforementioned conversation in Kuma is thought of to be a deserter Navigator who spoke very flavorfully of our Curators before abandoning ship. They just won't let that go, for whatever reason.

Since the attack, there have been multitudes of reports of unidentifiable scouting craft briefly flitting through inhabited systems, broadcasting garbage, and vanishing once more into hyperspace. On average, once every 2.5 months. Eventually someone got the bright idea to start listening closely and piece the garbage together... eventually, into what we believe is an alien language.

(To whatever lieutenant or bureaucrat that's reading this, I'm mostly just putting this down for my own reference; my memory can be a little spotty under stress. It also might be useful info if some alien benefactor finds my smoldering black box.)

And now, my mission at hand is to return to Kuma and use this reconstructed language to open a dialogue with whoever abducted the fugitive, as a first step in piecing together the misshapen pieces of the puzzle that has been the last decade in the Enclave of Eternity.

Log 550-22351202B | VCS Envoy Stasmius Hadrus 001-300-113-5, Voidcraft Designation "VCS Shuttle Epsilon"

I'm currently passing by the remains of the Belgium mining station that was attacked. It hasn't been cleaned up yet, for whatever reason, but there's a sizeable perimeter around it that I can't pass without alerting Central Enforcement to my presence. Not that they could do anything to someone of my designation anyway, but I'd prefer to avoid the bureaucracy.

Other than that, this system has been all but abandoned in the wake of the attack, for fear of future hostilities. All that remains is a relay station in close orbit around the primary, a reminder that this star is but another one under the watchful eye of the High Curator.

Mmm...

Today I'm relaxing with the autopilot on, browsing the interconnect before I leave range of the FTL relays. My mind keeps drifting back to the deserter in Kuma. Why did they do what they did?

I'm sure the reason has been documented in several places, since those GSI ships are crawling with surveillance, but the data has been restricted to Governors and Curators only. I should know, I requested it and was denied.

Oh well, just speculation. I'll stop talking for today before I get labeled a conspirator.

Log 550-22351203C | VCS Envoy Stasmius Hadrus 001-300-113-5, Voidcraft Designation "VCS Shuttle Epsilon"

The jump out of Yon marks the end of Enclave space. I'm now completely alone, with just my thoughts, several months worth of supplies, and an advanced computer that's currently piloting my ship for me while I write this.

I'll be honest, I'm a little stressed. What should I even say when I get in orbit of the Kuma primary?

"Hello, we come in peace, please stop harassing us with fly-bys?" No, too tropey... and cowardly.

"We demand your subservience to the High Curator?" Probably what they want me to say, but I doubt it would go well.

How about "We desire no further conflict, and wish to know more about your people?" I like that. Proactive, yet cautious.

Now I just need to get to work piecing together phrases that I can send... I'm no linguist, after all.

Transcript: Exchange in Star System Designation: "Kuma" (12-06-2235 02:21:31)

Env. Stasmius: "Before I begin, any present Enclave ships please make yourself known."

There are a few moments of silence.

Env. Stasmius: "Okay..."

Env. Stasmius: "[[WELCOME]] [[UNKNOWN]] [[STATION]] [[LIFEFORMS]] [[COMMUNICATE]]"

There are a few moments of silence.

Env. Stasmius: "[[RESPONSE]] [[PLEASE]] [[OPEN]] [[COMMUNICATE]] [[INTENTION]] [[HOSTILE]] [[NOT]]"

There are a few more moments of silence.

Unidentifiable Signal: "**UNINTELLIGIBLE** [[UNKNOWN]] [[COMMUNICATE]] **UNINTELLIGIBLE** [[SHIP]]"

Env. Stasmius: "[[WELCOME]] [[UNKNOWN]] [[PLEASE]] [[OPEN]] [[COMMUNICATE]]"

Unidentifiable Signal: "[[FOUND]] **UNINTELLIGIBLE** [[FOUND]] [[COMMUNICATE]]"

Env. Stasmus: "[[TRINARY]] [[HOME]] [[MINE]] [[OWN]] [[SHIP]] [[OWN]] [[STATION]] [[HOME]]"

There are a few minutes of silence.

Env. Stasmus: "[[PLEASE]] [[OPEN]] [[COMMUNICATE]]"

Unidentifiable Signal: "Who is this? You're trespassing in **UNINTELLIGIBLE** space."

Env. Stasmus: "Wait, what? Who is this? Identify yourself."

Unidentifiable Signal: "I don't think you're in a position to make demands, [[UNKNOWN]]."

Env. Stasmus: "Wait, I know that vo--"

The signal from Envoy Stasmus cuts out abruptly.

** END OF RECORDING **

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Oh, intriguing! Is it pirates? Aliens? Pirates and aliens?
Either way, the Curators won't be happy about it

6d49cdc57f17ffc7c01af0233bb4ca7a.jpg

Chapter 2-2: Communications Established

Transcript: VCS Surveillance Recording: Curator Seat (01-20-2236 15:45:12) | 00:08:12

Hushed, unintelligible conversation is punctuated by muffled, rapid footsteps and the sound of massive doors being flung open.

Unidentified Attendant: "Council! I humbly request your permission to approach!"

HC. Mara: "Mind yourself next time. Approach."

More footsteps, much quieter and noticeably more careful.

Unidentified Attendant: "Glorious council of Curators, radiant High Curator. I come bearing urgent news regarding our missing envoy."

C. Hanno: "Do you have a name for the envoy?"

Unidentified Attendant: "...I do not."

C. Hanno: "There are several with the envoy designation that we are awaiting news on. If you are going to waste our--"

C. Aelia: "Calm yourself. This one's message is obviously urgent. Attendant, the news?"

Unidentified Attendant: "I apologize, I am relaying only the information that I was given. Your bureaucrats have received a communique from an unknown source, with an attachment of a video that sounded and looked... distinctly non-Eternal."

HC. Mara: "You fabricate details in my presence?"

Unidentified Attendant: "No, never! Again, I am only relaying information given to me. The voice spoke in broken Eternal language, and says that multiple of our Enclave have been taken in as either prisoners or... refugees."

An ear-ringing bang echoes throughout the cavernous room.

HC. Mara: "What is this drivel? Are pirates attempting to undermine my rule again? Feliciana, validate this one's claim!"

C. Feliciana: "One moment... It was submitted very recently by VCS Bureaucrat Hosida Ramio Volusius, a transcript of the communique, a transcript of the recording, and a copy of the video itself."

HC. Mara: "Noted. Attendant, begone."

Unidentified Attendant: "As you wish. Glory to the Curators."

More very careful footsteps, with the gentle closing of the aforementioned massive doors.

HC. Mara: "Summon this bureaucrat at once... and play the recording."

C. Feliciana: "As you wish, your Highness."

The recording of ?????????_copy.evf plays for several minutes. Unknown people in the room gasp every once in a while. When it ends, there is a period of silence.

C. Aelia: "Shall I have a bureaucrat respond?"

HC. Mara: "No. I would exchange words with them myself."

** END OF RECORDING **

Transcript: ?????????_copy.evf | 00:03:01

The video starts with a view of a very official-looking... lifeform. It's features are distinctly organic, and maybe even mammalian, but with several features that separate it from the average Eternal. In place of the slick horns that point rearward on an Eternal, lie crooked ears that point upward in different directions. The hair around the being's face is much shaggier, and it's head had the shape of a thick bowling pin. Indeed, the entire thing was thick, almost three times the width of an Eternal, from the head to the waist where the view of it ended.

The creature speaks in a native language, though subtitles are present at the bottom of the video.

"Enclave. [[ Know that we are the United Suns. In recent years, we have begun seeing increasing amounts of your ships in our space. Like yours, word of these unidentified craft spread through our society like wildfire, and with the exact stellar coordinates of ]] Radiance [[ we wished to take the chance to be able to study you and yours to a great degree... to form a connection between two species who have reached out from their homeworlds... or ]] stations... [[ for the first time known. ]]"

The being leans back in it's chair.

"[[ And study we did. ]]"

It makes a gesture to something off-screen.

"[[ In our care do we have several individuals of your species. Some are fugitives, some were stranded in space, and some threw themselves at us when they learned of our existence. From them we have been able to learn the facets of your language, parts of your culture, and... ]]"

It pauses. It's face seems to crumple slightly in frustration, the sound of it's leathery hands tightening into balls filling the silence.

"[[ ...well enough about your style of governance. ]]"

"[[ Know that the United Suns value individual liberty over all. We value this, as the tyrants that constituted our forefathers threatened to tear the fabric of our society apart for their personal gain. And through the eyes of our empire, you seem to be travelling down a similar path. Some of your wayward species appears to feel similarly about this matter, but that is irrelevant in the face of this hopeful joining between species. ]]"

"[[ I speak out against your Curators not to criticize or invite hostility, but as a warning for the future that is to come. We, as a people, wish to invite your leader to our homeworld to further bridge the gap between our peoples, that we may come to an understanding. ]]"

"[[ Know, however, that those of your kind who stay with us do so out of choice, not out of our own coercion. As asylum-seekers under the United Suns, they are under our protection. This too, can be negotiated, though any belligerence in our communication shall not be tolerated. ]]"

The being raises a hand in a form of salute.

"[[ I am ]] Xen'arath, [[ chancellor of the United Suns. Glory to all who seek the light. ]]"

Communique: VCS Core Transmitter (High Curator Mara Opus 000-000-001-0) - - - > Identified United Suns Relay | 01-24-2236 12:15:03

Honorable peoples of the United Suns, we hope this message reaches you well.

I, the High Curator of the Enclave of Eternity, am the ruler of our nation. Though we live amongst the stars in our artificial habitation stations, you would do well to know that we are no different than any other species. Indeed, our habitation is a rather recent development in the history of our species, and I would be glad to share more of our history and culture with an alien civilization as amenable as yours.

While I personally am not able to join you on your homeworld, I am ready and willing to send a contingent of my finest, to hopefully give off the best impression possible of our jurisdiction.

We hope that they will be able to come to an agreement regarding your held citizens of the Enclave, and pave the way for future diplomacy between our species.

Communique: United Suns Core Relay (???) - - - > VCS Core Transmitter (High Curator Mara Opus 000-000-001-0) | 01-25-2236 11:32:21

???? ?????????? - ????

[[ Greetings, ]] High Curator. [[ We hope this message reaches you well in kind. I am ]] Xen'arath, [[ chancellor of the United Suns. ]]

[[ Thank you for your kind words. While we knew that there was sapient life beyond our own, we are grateful for our first contact to be with a species as civilized as yours. ]]

[[ If you cannot be here yourself, then I can personally come to meet with you at your home station. There, we can talk about future diplomacy and further agreements between our people, if needed. ]]

[[ Glory to all who seek the light. ]]

Communique: VCS Core Transmitter (High Curator Mara Opus 000-000-001-0) - - - > United Suns Core Relay (???) | 01-25-2236 13:19:43

Of course, Chancellor. That can be arranged...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Interesting that even the curators are being recorded. Is it for their use or is someone else listening?
Very interesting that Xen'arath is willing to visit the Eternals in person. This will be an interesting meeting.

inline_image_preview.jpg

Chapter 2-3: The Watcher

Log 501-22360421A | Curator Aelia Viator Cita 000-000-009-1, Voidcraft Designation "[RESTRICTED]"

This log marks the beginning of a solo expedition to an unidentified location.

I'm being sent off as insurance for the Curator Group in case these aliens do something to threaten our government, such as, say, murder everyone or blow up the Vault. During impactful diplomatic events, such as public gatherings, movement between stations, it's always been the case for there to be a 'backup' in case of catastrophe.

Maybe I'm a coward, but when she asked for volunteers, I was the first to speak up. Ever since my sister was driven mad during her work for the GSI I've been... wary of the unknown, for lack of a better way to put it. It's sad, I don't even think she knows I'm still alive, let alone working as a Curator, but perhaps it's for the best that she didn't have any regrets in what she did.

In any case, what I do know is that I'm in a small shuttle currently autopilot-bound for the construction site of one of the several new stations. I'm to be nestled somewhere hidden yet easily escapable in a worst-case scenario, and I'll have Interconnect access and plenty of amenities for the few days or weeks that I'm going to be waiting.

Hmm...

My sensors are picking up a series of unidentified ships entering the capital system through hyperspace. Seems to be a group of shuttles, a few corvettes, and a destroyer... Our would-be received diplomats and an escort, presumably.

I'll shut off the non-essential ship systems while en-route, just in case.

Log 503-22360422A | Curator Aelia Viator Cita 000-000-009-1, Voidcraft Designation "[RESTRICTED]"

I have arrived at my destination. Nestled in an unfinished port in the unfinished 'Confluence' habitat, I cannot see the stars, but I can read them with my sensors.

This construction site is bustling with activity, even in my presence. Methinks they were not made aware to my arrival, which is likely for the best considering this is a matter of state security.

Like clockwork, when my shuttle docked into the station, all the systems came back on and I was greeted with a news article from the Interconnect saying that our diplomats from the stars have arrived on the Eternal Vault after a little more bureaucracy and controlling of the masses within the Vault.

Mara will give me a full debriefing when I return to the Vault, but for now all I have to go on is public knowledge. I'll pull up a news broadcast.

Man, they're huge... and ugly... are those ears?

Transcript: AetherNews Broadcast (04-30-2236 12:01:09) | 00:08:12

For 20 seconds, cheesy news station music plays over an even cheesier CGI display of an intro to the AetherNews 'Breaking News' segment. The video quickly cuts to a view of Anchor Isidorus Falx Major and Associate Attia Matia Sorio, standing in the shadow of the massive Vault Curator Seat building.

Anc. Isidorus: "Welcome back to this AetherNews breaking news broadcast, Isidorus Major here to report with my lovely assistant Attia. How are you doing, Attia?"

As. Attia: "Doing well, Isi. The day we've all been waiting for has finally arrived, friends of the Enclave-- we have confirmation that representatives of the United Suns, a species known as the Kene'ze, have made landfall on the Eternal Vault and are currently making their way here for deliberations with the High Curator."

Anc. Isidorus: "And glory to the High Curator as well. This is a long-awaited day for many and crowds are growing around the maglev station where the United Suns representatives are expected to arrive at the VCS. We go now to Vesnia on the scene."

A cheesy transition cuts away from Isidorus and Attia, to Anchor Vesnia Verus Vatia against a backdrop of thousands of Eternals crowding around a maglev station.

Anc. Vesnia: "Thank you, Isidorus. Behind me you can see the absolutely massive crowd that has amassed here at the VCS station, of people with many different views on this situation. Protests have broken out in the surrounding areas of people condemning the arrival of these alien creatures, while the majority of those crowding around the station include those wanting to be some of the first Eternals to actually get to interact with these new, fascinating individuals. Central Enforcement is currently struggling to maintain control of the situation, but they expect things to continue apace until the visitors reach the VCS, which is currently closed to non-essential visitation and contact. Back to you, Isidorus."

Yet another transition, back to Isidorus and Attia.

Anc. Isidorus: "Thanks, Vesnia. For now we're going to move on to scheduled weather and traffic in the Radiance vaults, after which we will be broadcasting exclusively the arrival of the Kene'ze, at the VCS, and later at 4 we will have exclusive access to the deliberation room where our Curators will be discussing diplomacy with the United Suns. This has been Isidorus, see you at 4."

** END OF RECORDING **

Log 511-22360501A | Curator Aelia Viator Cita 000-000-009-1, Voidcraft Designation "[RESTRICTED]"

Well, that's that. The diplomacy, negotiations, opening of official channels between the two empires... took a lot less time than expected.

The Kene'ze, who had several Eternals under their asylum, offered to return those who would do so peacefully in exchange for a pact between the two empires. A non-aggression agreement to prevent misunderstandings in terms of military movements, a commercial agreement to allow Eternal corporations to freely trade with any such entities within the United Suns, and a research agreement... though from what we've seen there isn't much one side can learn from the other at this time.

Mara agreed to these terms, though she seemed to have a strange curl to her lip while she was looking up at the hulking being...

With how quickly the negotiations went, it almost felt like it was for... appearances?

Well, whatever.

I'm going to be here for a while, until Central Enforcement can determine that the Kene'ze have completely left the system, as well as determined there were no threats to the Curator Group, such as hidden explosives or weapons, were left.

Kind of distrusting, but necessary in the face of politics.

Let's hope construction doesn't keep me awake.

Log 532-22360511 | Curator Aelia Viator Cita 000-000-009-1, Voidcraft Designation "[RESTRICTED]"

I was awoken by a thunderous crash in the middle of my sleep cycle. It sounded like a huge machine crashing into a durasteel support beam or something...

My sensors see where the crash happened, but there are no life signs. Maybe an automated machine that went off at the wrong time?

Hopefully, since there isn't supposed to be construction in this area until several dozen cycles after I leave...

Log 533-22360511 | Curator Aelia Viator Cita 000-000-009-1, Voidcraft Designation "[RESTRICTED]"

Another crash, much closer this time. Still no life signs. I fear for the worse.

I'm shutting off non-vital systems until I can get in contact with a relay.

Log 534-22360511 | Curator Aelia Viator Cita 000-000-009-1, Voidcraft Designation "[RESTRICTED]"

...Vitry?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
EAElwLHXsAED9Zq.jpg

Chapter 2-4: Eternal End

Transcript: 'Eternal End' Shanty, first recorded spoken by Fugitive Fufia Axia Memor on 02-23-2231, unknown author

Verse 1:

There once was a man with a ship of lead,
Now his heart's on ice and his crew's abed,
For they never let he and his be said,
(Downstream towards our starlight.)

O' they found a piece and a hint of gold,
To lords and ladies it be sold,
And there they headed with it in hold,

But a curse and pox cast on his head,
And he was all but in body dead,
And with a shaky voice he said,

That the world's on fire and mind's ablaze
With his two hands this steel world he'll raze
And now he's lost within the maze,
(Downstream towards the light.)

Chorus:

(Ware ye, the ending of times,
Where the mother fights and the pop consigns,
Our drowned selves to the endless sea,
We're casting out our plea,)

(Ware ye, the coming of shade
Which our forefathers of eld forbade,
Yet the new lights have closed their eyes

And usher in demise.)

Verse 2:

And among us walks a lass of fire,
Long been cast down and branded liar,
And now she walks the endless mire,

'Fore with starry eyes did she yet climb,
She wronged no man and she did no crime,
And there she saw at end of time,

That the world's on fire and her's all gone,
Her whole life playing the long con,
And her time with us began to yawn,

Now the world's on fire and her mind's ablaze
And with her two hands our world she'll raze,
But once she's freed from high one's maze,

Chorus:

And usher in demise.)

Verse 3:

Now the high ones twelve and their crowning gem,
Beneath our world imprisoned them,
A problem far beyond their ken,

But they climbed their way and earned their keep,
Unto new horizons did they leap,
But such gains are but ankle-deep,

Now they've come to them for a penny of thought,
And with that penny, rage is bought,
And in reach what both sides have sought,

But a world on fire and a mind ablaze,
As they usher in the end of days,
Together, separate kin betrays,

Chorus:

And usher in demise.)

Verse 4:

So we heed the call and soldier on,
And sing our somber shipyard song,
And hope there's one to prove us wrong,

For the end of days will claim us all
Not through body, mind, or broken soul,
But a loss of what all makes us whole,

And the crown on high looks down on us,
As we build their works from dirt and rust,
It's a vicious cycle strangely just,

So when worlds burn and stars go dim,
Thou shall not forget her or him,
From stellar core to outer rim,

Chorus:

And usher in demise.)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
...Vitry?
Oho, is this the herald of a family reunion?

And that was a very cool shanty. It's always nice to see a mix of media pop up

Interim

And so the Enclave of Eternity continued to expand it's influence in the ever-evolving galaxy.

Though there were numerous ideological conflicts, relations between the Enclave and their newly-contacted companions, the United Suns, continued to grow and prosper for the benefit of both nations. While tensions still existed between the ruling parties of the two nations, the commercial and research pacts between the two nations were too beneficial for both parties for either one to even consider fostering animosity.

While the Enclave and the United Suns forged bonds over the span of years, other galactic powers began making themselves known.

As the Enclave expanded and built ever newer habitable stations, a nation known as the Enedeir Technocracy discovered the newest of them, and opened communications with the Curator Group. Learning from their experiences with the United Suns, communications were quickly established, and they were very quickly discovered as a nation not too dissimilar to the Enclave-- materialistic in nature and authoritarian to a fault, though more wary to alien cultures and individuals than the Enclave or United Suns were. Additionally, their main species, the Enedeir, were distinctly non-mammalian in nature, but reptilian, wholly unlike the Eternals and the Kene'ze. They continue to remain isolationist, though are not averse to some diplomacy.

At the same time, the United Suns were contacted by the Chene Cooperative, who were similarly aligned with them in being egalitarian, though to the point of communization, which similarly unsettled the Ken'ze as they were unsettled by the more centralized Enclave. The devotion of the Chene to unseen forces and gods lead to many a raised eyebrow in the Enclave after the United Suns shared their translations of the Cooperative to allow communications.

Further off was an extremely reclusive empire who were seemingly watching our interactions from afar, the Kelenzial Union. The Enclave was only made aware of their presence by a far-reaching survey route, which initially wrote off their territory as seemingly abandoned territory with infrastructure that oddly continued to function despite the absence of a species inhabiting the space. Turns out, they were simply hiding, hoping not to be noticed. So averse to conflict they are that they preferred to simply hide than to join the galactic stage in full. Thus far, their request to do so has been honored.

A much more recognizable presence near the Kelenzi was an empire-- or rather, a single organism. After extensive study, this 'Star Collective,' composed of a mentally-linked species that had neglected to name itself prior to the arrival of the Chene who made their presence known to the still-growing network of civilization, operated as a 'hive mind' under a single will. Interestingly to many under the Curator Group's yoke, the High Curator regarded these/this being(s) with enthusiasm, though they did not respond as much in kind, proceeding to open hostilities with the Chene soon after their opening of communications.

The galaxy became a lively place, with the Enclave of Eternity squat starkly in the middle of it all.

And though the Enclave continues to grow, several forces home-grown, extranational, and beyond comprehension, plot the downfall of the Curator Group... A fact that the Curator Group became intimately aware of, following the increasing animosity members of the Group had toward each other.

But it may not matter, for with each step taken, each pebble excavated, every screw and nail driven, every mass-driver round shot...

They were that much closer to perfection.​

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
65377207_2359476077654957_7398070889503260672_n.jpg

Chapter 3-1: And We Rise

[UNENCRYPTED] Communique: Identified Fugitive Signal ALG - - - > Identified Fugitive Signal PER | 06-24-2245 [UNDEFINED]

Check this out. Starlight picked [[ a signal ]] up from the [[ Science Vessel ]] passing by [[ UNINTELLIGIBLE ]] a few [[ days ]] ago. Says it's something you needed to [[ listen to. ]]

[[ Let me know ]]
if it's anything [[ important, ]] I'll bring the [[ striker to you ]] if you [[ UNINTELLIGIBLE ]]

[[ 1 ATTACHMENT: data.vtf ]]

data.vtf
Transcript: Voidcraft Designation "GSI Darkside" Automated Surveillance Recording: Laboratory Alpha (06-21-2245 11:12:04) | 00:6:21

Test Subject Lena (Muffled): "Am I dead yet?"

SO. Albinus: "Not yet. Please stand up and continue the test."

Quiet, muffled shuffling is accompanied by pained groaning.

SO. Albinus: "Please attempt to move the object."

TS. Lena (Muffled): "It hurts... please just let me go back to my room."

As. Cotentinus: "Should I go retrieve the next subject?"

SO. Albinus: "No, this one has shown promise thusfar. They will continue."

As. Cotentinus: "Did it move just then?"

SO. Albinus: "The scale says no. Administer more compound."

TS. Lena (Muffled): "Wait, no, please, I'll do it, I'll doooaAaaAAAAAUUUGHHHH!"

A body collapses to the ground. Half a minute passes.

SO. Albinus: "Please stand up and continue the test."

Silence for a few moments.

SO. Albinus: "Lena, your vital signs are still within acceptable parameters and the scanner says you are still conscious. Stand up."

Slower, quiet muffled shuffling, but without the groaning.

SO. Albinus: "Please attempt to move the object."

A loud, muffled droning sound fills the chamber after about half a minute. A muffled clicking noise is followed by a nearby machine beginning to frantically beep.

As. Contentinus: "Sir, look! The weight! She isn't even touching it! You were right!"

SO. Albinus: "By the Curators..."

The voice of Lena, while still muffled, almost shakes the room. A quiet static undertone can be heard now.

TS. Lena: "I said... LET ME GO!"

The droning's pitch comes to a peak as the calamitous sound of and explosion and glass shattering consumes all other noise for a moment. As whatever just happened begins to fade, what sounds like the beginnings of a fire crackle softly beneath alarm bells and the same nearby machine continuing to beep. The recording now has intermittent static.

After a few moments, footsteps seem to lead through a sliding door that closes behind their source. Afterwards, quiet muffled shuffling can barely be heard under the cacophony of noise.

SO. Albinus: "Yes... this is what they've been waiting for. Finally, tangible progress..."

Albinus pauses for a moment.

SO. Albinus: "Oh, no. Poor Contentinus... were your eyes always that shade of purple?"

The device recording the conversation seems to fail as all sound is consumed by white noise for the remainder of the recording.

** END OF RECORDING **

End of Expedition Report

Name: Albinus Lydus Nazarius
Permit Number: 000-023-401-0
Designation: Science Officer
Purpose of Expedition: Offworld Scientific Study
Expedition Target: N/A

Date of Expedition Start: 05-02-2245
Date of Expedition End: 06-22-2245
Departure Dock: EV-031 "Central Development"
Return Dock: GF-002-A "Emergency Port Alpha"

Number of Crew Departing: 8
Number of Crew Returning: 1

Expedition Incidents: 3
Docking Incidents: 1
Offboarding Incidents: 0

Onboarding Incidents:

Expedition Incidents:
Ongoing scientific study into classified (Curator Order 53-Beta) subject went longer than originally expected. Several non-crew test subjects were lost in the course of the study. Please notify an applicable bureaucrat for familial compensation.

One test subject, known as Lena Carus Herenus, pemit number 940-310-121-8, was receptive to our tests to an unexpected degree, leading to the destruction of Laboratory Alpha onboard the ship. Assistant Contentinus Artamo Surinus, permit number 844-121-120-3, lost his life during this incident. Please notify an applicable bureaucrat for familial compensation.

Following the destruction of Laboratory Alpha, Lena Carus Herenus left the chamber, and is assumed to have played a direct role in the total destruction of the ship minutes later. The lives of all remaining test subjects and crew members were lost, mine only having been spared due to my immediate proximity to an escape pod. Please notify an applicable bureaucrat for familial compensation, as well as Central Enforcement to begin the search for Lena, who was caught up in the incident but left no corpse or trace of departure.

Docking Incidents:
The emergency pod I took in my escape of the destruction of the ship was unable to interface with normal docking platforms, requiring me to navigate to an emergency port. No further action required.

Offboarding Incidents:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
8e96baec5ed10d3e68d94d3a1760f97d.png

Chapter 3-2: As You Were

Transcript: VCS Surveillance Recording: Curator Seat (01-20-2252 13:05:11) | 00:09:12

The sound of multiple voices overlap, seemingly embroiled in an argument that has gone on for at least half-an-hour up to this point. Tensions are high, and a few voices emerge more clearly above the others.

C. Hanno: "And what do you even expect to gain out of this? Bear in mind that what you suggest involved the complete overturning of the heirarchy that has governed our nation for all these years."

C. Antipho: "Not even to mention the interesting locales she has been seen visiting as of late. Are we to now put into question her fitness for the seat of Curator?"

C. Aelia: "If you'd just let me explain--"

C. Petellia: "Explain? You've already said enough. If you hate this position of power so much that you'd bring it down to their level then I suggest that you step down yourself and let someone more fit take your place."

A loud sigh, clear as day, rings out behind the constant argument. The tone matches the High Curator's, but could have come from any of the female Curators present.

C. Feliciana: "Calm yourselves! What purpose is a debate if you won't let the opposing side be heard?"

C. Petellia: "I refuse to even entertain the idea! I did not climb my way up to my current position just for one in my midst to even entertain the idea of dragging me back down!"

HC. Mara: "Are we done?"

With these words, the entire room falls silent.

HC. Mara: "I did not attend this emergency meeting just for it to devolve into wanton noise. If I am to be present for a debate, I expect it to be a debate and not a shouting match. Show hands for those who actually heard Aelia's proposal beyond the first few words."

Quiet shuffling as Curators present raise their hands, the noise suggesting only two or three of the twelve have done so.

HC. Mara: "As expected. Aelia, please start from the beginning. The rest of you will only speak when referred to or asked for questions and comments. I hope I make myself clear."

C. Aelia: "...Thank you, your gloriousness."

C. Aelia: "As you all probably already have heard, public opinion of the Curator Group has fallen to an all-time low. Normally while we only receive such statistics through the work of our bureaucrats, I have taken things into my own hands, or at least as much as I could without putting myself in danger, in order to determine a more firsthand account of the opinions of our citizens. What I have found in my study is that things are more dire than we originally thought. As we have begun to open communications with a diverse number of cultures, people have begun to compare the VCS to the governing ethics and bodies of these other cultures. Egalitarianism seems to be an extremely popular sentiment, especially within the United Suns, which is the culture our people have grown the most accustomed to."

HC. Mara: "While I appreciate the efforts you have made, where are you going with this?"

C. Aelia: "Symathy for egalitarianism, this concept of people being able to determine their own destiny free of a predetermined hierarchy, is growing unrestrained within our society. This has lead to a stark increase for sympathy for separatist groups, including pirates, rebels, and migration movements to other cultures. In the same vein, people have begun putting the VCS under an increasingly scrutinizing eye, to the point where a small subset of people believe that the Curator Group was, in order to cement our rule, directly responsible for the destruction of our home planet in order to spark our exodus to the Eternal Vault."

Multiple gasps fill the room. Mara's voice is notably absent from this chorus.

C. Hanno: "Insanity! Mara, you would let her remain here after spitting on your great name in such a way?"

HC. Mara: "Hanno."

A few moments of silence.

C. Aelia: "...Which brings me to my proposal. The Enclave is approaching a tipping point, and we can choose to either act or be swept away with the tide. The calculations by my AI assistant give us a decade before the situation becomes unsalvageable, though we must keep in mind that public opinion will continue sinking exponentially and will be much more difficult to recover from the closer to this deadline we get."

She pauses for a few seconds.

C. Aelia: "Our first option is to simply do nothing, as we have been. We can build up our forces to mount a defense against the coming storm, but our nation will be greatly crippled for a time if not completely overturned, allowing foreign nations a chance to come in and claim what remains."

C. Aelia: "The second option is to greatly filter travel in and out of our space. This can be done, but the resources required will likely be immense in order to prevent people from finding lawless ways out of our sphere of influence, and will likely similarly cripple us, only bureaucratically instead of militarily."

C. Aelia: "The third option is to completely cut off our migration agreements, so that we can use the efforts of other nations to keep our citizens out of their space. The issue here is that, not only will this harm relations with our neighboring nations, but we have no way of guaranteeing that they will not grant rebels asylum. This, along with the previous option, will greatly harm our public opinion."

C. Aelia: "And the fourth option, the one I believe to be the only way to prevent the downfall of the Enclave... Is to embrace a measure of egalitarianism into our government, and to free the citizens from their imagined shackles that they fight against every day. And in the end, this may result in the dismantling of the Curator Group in order to enforce our compliance with these changes."

C. Petellia: "Heresy! You spit on the name of the High Curator and you spit on the Enclave! If our great Mara will not cast you out then I will do so myself!"

The sounds of loud shuffling and rapid footsteps fill the chamber, punctuated by the discharging of a mass driver round. The room is silent as the loud sound echoes and dissipates.

C. Petellia: "You... damn... us... all..."

A body hits the ground. More shuffling and a click as the mass driver weapon is re-holstered.

HC. Mara: "Barbaric. Not since the planet was still intact has a High Curator had to put one down who put his emotions over the sanctity of this chamber. But at the very least I no longer need to be present as a tiebreaker. Legion, to me!"

The massive doors at the head of the room open, and two sets of footprints walk through.

C. Hanno: "High Curator, what is it you..."

HC. Mara: "Silence! You lot will not speak another word until I leave this chamber."

HC. Mara: "Legionnaires. Should their continued debate devolve into violence, I would have you put down the perpetrators. Do not let this go to your heads, however, as you know the consequences. If I find that one has been put down who did not deserve it..."

Unnamed Legionnaires: "Yes, High Curator!"

HC. Mara: "Curator Group, continue your deliberation. I expect to have at least a majority answer on this matter when I return in a few hours."

The massive doors close once more as a set of footsteps disappear behind them. Debate continues, although tones and tempers are much more muted.

** END OF RECORDING **

Transcript: VCS Surveillance Recording: Curator Seat Approach (01-20-2252 13:14:59) | 00:01:06

Footsteps approach, then stop.

HC. Mara: "Attendant. Have you ascertained the location of the objective?"

Unnamed Attendant: "Yes, High Curator. Albinus Lydus Nazarius currently rests within Central Enforcement facility AIO-112."

HC. Mara: "Perfect. Gather two Legionnaires and meet me in Shuttle Dock Omega. We will meet with him."

Unnamed Attendant: "...May I have a reason so that I may convince the Legionnaires to accompany me?"

HC. Mara: "Tell them simply that we are running short on time."

Unnamed Attendant: "...Yes, High Curator."

Two footsteps grow distant, one more rapid than the other.

** END OF RECORDING **

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: