• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Only 3 hours in myself, but fully enjoing it

For those trying to compare playtime vs cost of game, do as me, compare it with the cost of going to a movie.
So I readily spend close to $40 USD on a movie night (transport, ticket, candy) so thats about $20 a hour for entertainment, so a full price release just have to net me 3 hours of entertainment and Iam happy for my money spend, saves a lot of crying over money spend.

I smile when i see ppl say its good coz it has replay value but thats just for ppl that want to replay the game.
Most ppl dont replay the game and read the walls of text thats mostly the same.

Just hope it gets some more DLC with more play time.

I loved Pillars
Tyranny is fine but has less secrets(like hidden caves that lead to side quests), less wow effect monsters( like dragon,orcs,giant spiders,zombies,undead,... and what not)
even the spires are a bad version of the stronghold , just feels a bit like its a step backwards from PoE.

Give me one good long story with PoE replay value and i'm more then happy.

Reactions:
Finished it, 22 hours. Was fun but was really astonished that it is over now. I thought now that i had those power i could do something with it. I had hired all this craftsman on my towers, all those never used materials, all those artefact weapons that never really leveled up and i think to myself... when the hell should i ever have used and leveled the weapons and used the crafting possibilities in game? I just feel funny.. had fun.. but fell like i just now get in the game and its finished. Even if i would start a new game with a new char, every time it would still fell like a story that end after its prologue.

*edit: finished at level 15 - 17. for a spoiler free reference point.

Reactions:
I loved PoE and have over 600 hours in it. And I still haven't played the Second White March !!!

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I could spend 2 or 3 hours on character creation in Tyranny. It really all depends on your play-style (and mine is SLOW).

The whole point is the replay value of the game. If you were following the game at all, they stressed this at every chance they got; shorter than other RPGs but with very high replayability.

Plus, 20 hours is if you rush the campaign. With some side quests, reading and combat, it would take around 30 hours at least.
It does not. 20 hours is pretty much the cap if you do everything. If you rush, it's about 15.

On the other hand, it's a much much better game than PoE, with a much better story, more interesting companions (other than Lantry, who lets the side down, and Sagani, who props the other side up for being an actual person, rather than a freshman philosophy trope). The skill based classless system fits the game mechanics better than the D&D class knockoffs of pillars (though mechanically it's still a bit weak), and it's far less railroady and rubbish, storywise.

Reactions:
It does not. 20 hours is pretty much the cap if you do everything. If you rush, it's about 15.

On the other hand, it's a much much better game than PoE, with a much better story, more interesting companions (other than Lantry, who lets the side down, and Sagani, who props the other side up for being an actual person, rather than a freshman philosophy trope). The skill based classless system fits the game mechanics better than the D&D class knockoffs of pillars (though mechanically it's still a bit weak), and it's far less railroady and rubbish, storywise.
I liked Lantry. And, looking back, besides the big twist at the to who you need to fight feeling sudden and pretty out of character at times, I really thought the high points were really great. Especially the trials! The trials were so good!

No offence, but are you reading everything and talking to people? I've got 17 hours and I'm not even halfway through.

Also, a 100 hour epic of a game is not appealing to me these days. I'm older, wiser and have less time to spend on games. The exact problem for me about The Witcher 3 (amazing though it is) was that it was just too damn long. 20-40 hours is a nice manageable length IMO.

Reactions:
My current high watermark for game time verses pennies was Grey Goo. £35 for 18 hours (since I don't mulitplayer). Bit steep, but at the time (this being before I started PDX grand strats) I hadn't spent much on games that year and was a bit desparate. Good game, but it was very short.

(Deserts of Kharak would have been s close second, but I aslo got Homeworld remastred with it.)

So, even if Tyranny only lasts 20 hours (and given my slow rate of play, this seems less likely, PoE took about 80 for the main game and I haven't even started White March 2), I'll consider it acceptable.

(I don't coutn replaybility as a valid criterion, since I tend to replay games VERY infrequently. Sometimes even for some 4X and stuff will only get one or two playthroughs. Planescape Torment stands as one of the very few games I've actually ever played all the way through more than twice, let alone more than once, and I've only played that through about 3-4 times; and there can be years in between. I think Dungeon Keeper 1 is about the only other one.)

I paid £30 for No Mans Sky - 9 hours and I was bored shitless. Such a rip off it's unreal.

But hey, that's the risk of pre-ordering. I'll not do so again with an unproven developer. Thankfully, Obsidian and Paradox have garnered much good will with me over the years so I risked pre-ordering Tyranny, glad I did too as I'm quite enjoying it. Even if it isn't as good as Pillars of Eternity.

Tyranny on easy difficulty takes 23 hours from me, and I wasn't possible to get to Archon of Stone, I believe it will add hour or two. If you take diff up, I'd say 25-27 hours should be solid on medium, but I'm only going to try. :)

For benchmarks:
1st Deus Ex takes about 25 hours.
Planescape Torment was highly more text-oriented (as Tyranny) and takes about 30-35 hours.

I really must be a slow. My first playthrough took me around 35 hours and i didnt even read everything.

Maybe it's because i messed around with spell creation and didnt use the AI in combat, so it takes a lot longer, i dont know.

20+ hours. Could be more if you read more, and mess with crafting more.
It feels standard. PoE main story was very similar.
The thing with replay: In PoE (or similar) you could replay, but why you should? In Tyranny you can always side with another faction, and make some other choices during world shaping. That gives more reason to replay.

Just finished the game. 31h without rushing anything. But I was not able to do all quests due to some bad choices. Starting again, though, I want some allies this time XD

I'm not really concerned about the length of the game, as long as the quality is good, especially if there's enough branching in the storyline to justify multiple playthroughs. I've been having a hard time finishing RPG's in recent years because I tend to get bored slogging through repetitious combats in the mid-game.

What's bizarre is that there seems to be an entire section of the game you are locked out of doing, at least on the rebel path. I never got to go to Azure.

Yeah on the solo path it's possible to break all of kyros edicts and go to the edict areas well the developers did say it's about replay ability but since I was solo I was not able to ever go to the areas where Ashe and nerat are to see what they are about because well... they would kill me on sight and I am not strong enough to take em on until the end.