• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought Konoe was briefly interested in peace in 1940? Perhaps it was someone else in his government because Japan periodically considered negotiating a peace, with varying levels of seriousness of course.
Konoe would have been prepared to accept a negotiated Chinese surrender on very favourable (to Japan) terms. This was enough to put him in the 'peace' faction as the alternative was fighting on for the total conquest of all China.
The IJN is also limited in what they can do because there's only a few SNLF divisions and their ships are obviously useless once the battle goes inland. I did have them show up in the epilogue to provide fire support, but they can't carry the entire war on their own.
They can put the entire Chinese coastline under threat and force the Chinese to have dozens of divisions tied up on garrison duty, significantly weakening the Korean front. Raids into Manchuria to disrupt supply lines. Landings prior to Tojo's offensive that the IJA can link up with. Sure as line infantry they wouldn't make a decisive difference, but they shouldn't be wasted on the line when there is so much else they could do. Or just threaten to do and force China to counter.
BTW, who are you referring to with "if they were deployed then China wouldn't win"?
The IJN and SNLF not invading Shanghai when it's garrison left and Japanese air power doing very little (though I agree that is as much a game engine limitation as anything else).
I don't think Japan would ever be seen as the 'good' power, just because there is going to be a lot of bitterness about the colonial era and various crimes. I think the Japanese will be able to run better businesses though, making the KMT look bad and complicating Korea's foreign relations since it turns out neither neighbor is 'good'.
Japan doesn't have to be objectively good, just better than the ROC. And that is an incredibly low bar to clear.
while Chiang has a number of unresolved issues that had been sidelined due to war.
I look forward to seeing those issues continue to be ignored and swept under the carpet so that China can march on victoriously. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Always a wise move when there’s so much material that to squeeze it all in would be a choking hazard! I have been known to tread that line, though
I have to agree! It turns out an epilogue is hard to write, so I decided to just do a bunch. I think the flow of things will make more sense too.

Will that be hypothetical or did you/wil you play it through ‘off camera’?
You must have missed my post a week or two ago about my hard drive failure? I had played out Part 35 before the hard drive went, but I lost all my screenshots and the save games, forcing me to end the AAR. Rather than just quitting, I'm trying to wrap things up, but it's all hypothetical at this point.

Really well done mate, you’ve reasonably achieved the aims you set out for China at the start and to take things further now might be overkill. Especially when you have two other AARs going!
Thanks for the praise! I was lucky I was close to the end when my hard drive failed, so it hasn't been too hard to wrap up. I agree that playing too far would get a little silly from a realism perspective, and I don't think I would have wanted that.

Soon to be just one. As mentioned above, I lost save games for the other AARs as well. I doubt I could recreate anything even close to my CK2 game, so I'm wrapping that up as well. HOI4 will continue though since I was less than a year in and the game is fairly on-rails and easy to recreate.

This would be plausible.
I'm leaning toward this, but we shall see what I decide...

Or just trade for them, now China is off the table and if a more moderate government is in charge and they never went to war with rage Allies? Perhaps this would be a better war to lose than WW2 and Japan could leave the Axis before it become toxic for them.
The nice thing for Japan is they haven't done anything to antagonize the US, and they hadn't yet joined the Axis. China is shut off to them, but they now have the chance to reset and consider new options that OTL Japan never had.

Konoe would have been prepared to accept a negotiated Chinese surrender on very favourable (to Japan) terms. This was enough to put him in the 'peace' faction as the alternative was fighting on for the total conquest of all China.
Ahh, I should have known he wasn't a real dove at any point. I didn't feel like digging through Japanese politicians to dig up a more plausible dove, so I guess Konoe had a change of heart in the AAR's universe ;)

They can put the entire Chinese coastline under threat and force the Chinese to have dozens of divisions tied up on garrison duty, significantly weakening the Korean front. Raids into Manchuria to disrupt supply lines. Landings prior to Tojo's offensive that the IJA can link up with. Sure as line infantry they wouldn't make a decisive difference, but they shouldn't be wasted on the line when there is so much else they could do. Or just threaten to do and force China to counter.
Honestly, these actions would have been decisive during the initial invasion in 1937. Japan had a much larger army at that point and could easily land wherever they wanted. A good landing on the Shandong peninsula would have forced me to abandon the Huang He, allowing Japan to take over the bulk of the coast, putting this AAR in a very different spot. That would have been fun to write since I could have gotten into U.S. involvement and the Wang Jingwei regime, but I did enjoy the awesome offensives in northern China, so there's a trade-off.

By 1940 though, I'm pretty sure Japan was down to maybe 30-40 divisions, including the island garrisons which aren't much use for anything. Chiang has a bigger army than that just in his two elite armies, ignoring the militias garrisoning Korea and the coasts, the infantry guarding Manchuria, and all the warlord troops that joined when Yunnan and Guangxi fell. At this point, numbers were against Japan and not going to change anytime soon. Sure they could make landings, but they would eventually be surrounded and destroyed in a wave of Chinese soldiers. The NRA is also not what they were in 1937 or OTL; the militias are still garbage, but there is now a competent core of veterans that have carried China through all the wars, proving more than a match for the IJA.

The IJN and SNLF not invading Shanghai when it's garrison left and Japanese air power doing very little (though I agree that is as much a game engine limitation as anything else).
That makes sense. Admittedly, Shanghai has been well garrisoned the entire AAR. It was mainly the ports north of Nanjing and south of Beiping that were weakly held, mostly because I never expected to stop Japan at the Huang He and never fixed things.

Japan doesn't have to be objectively good, just better than the ROC. And that is an incredibly low bar to clear.
That is very true. Although I think OTL South Korea shows how well oppression can keep a lid on protests against corruption and inefficiency, for a decade or two at least.

I look forward to seeing those issues continue to be ignored and swept under the carpet so that China can march on victoriously.
;) Well I might disappoint, since China's rise to the top is about to dramatically slow down!

• 2Like
Reactions:
It seems Japan eventually managed to do just about enough to get something out of the peace negotiations, but the outcome will be a very bitter pill to swallow all the same. As a deal nobody is particularly happy with, it is probably more a truce that gives both sides time to regroup rather than a genuine peace, and with Japan holding on to Taiwan and still being involved in the affairs of Korea it's very easy to see the potential for tensions in the future that could lead to renewed conflict.

In the short term I think China needs a period of consolidation after the war with Japan and the subjugation of the warlords. Japan of course has to come to terms with a heavy defeat and will surely need time to rebuild the IJA before embarking on any new adventures. And then there is the small matter of the European war and the ramifications it may have for the wider world...

• 3Like
Reactions:
I did somehow miss the hard drive post - sorry to hear that! :( After some similar disaster years ago, though not with my current AAR games, I keep spare AAR save games on a second hard drive and a usb drive as well.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It seems Japan eventually managed to do just about enough to get something out of the peace negotiations, but the outcome will be a very bitter pill to swallow all the same. As a deal nobody is particularly happy with, it is probably more a truce that gives both sides time to regroup rather than a genuine peace, and with Japan holding on to Taiwan and still being involved in the affairs of Korea it's very easy to see the potential for tensions in the future that could lead to renewed conflict.
Yes, it's really more of a ceasefire than a permanent peace, so east Asia won't be calming down too much.

In the short term I think China needs a period of consolidation after the war with Japan and the subjugation of the warlords. Japan of course has to come to terms with a heavy defeat and will surely need time to rebuild the IJA before embarking on any new adventures. And then there is the small matter of the European war and the ramifications it may have for the wider world...
I agree that both sides need to consolidate since a lot has changed over the course of the war. Japan is especially vulnerable right now as there's a lot of turmoil at home. All of this is set against WWII which just makes things worse!

I did somehow miss the hard drive post - sorry to hear that! :( After some similar disaster years ago, though not with my current AAR games, I keep spare AAR save games on a second hard drive and a usb drive as well.
It was a valuable lesson in having backups, although I would have preferred not to learn it this way. Luckily there wasn't anything too important, so it's all good.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Epilogue (Pt. 2): The Second World War
Epilogue (Pt. 2): The Second World War

Even as peace settled over Asia, war was expanding across Europe. Germany had conquered Poland and Denmark while Britain and France yet stood strong. Meanwhile, the Soviet Union had attacked Finland, eventually gaining concessions from the small country after an extremely bloody war over the winter of 1939-40. Early 1940 had been very quiet, but things began to heat up in the late spring.

The Germans launched their attack on the west on May 9, quickly occupying Luxembourg while also attacking Belgium and the Netherlands. The Dutch quickly surrendered as their defensive positions were overrun and the Luftwaffe bombed Rotterdam, inspiring fear of further destruction. The government withdrew from the mainland, vowing to continue resistance from the colonies in Indonesia.

The most shocking part of the attack was that the panzer divisions advanced through the Ardennes forest, terrain the French had thought totally unsuitable to tank warfare. The French proved slow to react, allowing the Germans to break through. The French high command's morale was shattered, causing many of them to give up, abandoning their soldiers in Belgium to be surrounded. By May 20, the Germans had reached the English Channel, trapping the best Allied units.

xpUBrV6.png

Breakout attempts were eventually made, but they failed to escape, coming extremely close in several cases. Significant numbers of French forces as well as the BEF were evacuated to Britain, but this left a gaping hole in the French lines after Belgium and several trapped French armies surrendered. The French fought a stubborn defense, but they were slowly pushed back under relentless Luftwaffe attacks. By early June, the French government was falling apart and Marshal Petain asked for an armistice. The resulting peace saw Germany occupy northern and western France, leaving the French State in the south, centered on the town of Vichy. Italy gained Nice and a few other territories, but was denied anything greater.

This left Britain alone, at war with both Germany and Italy. A massive bombing campaign started against Britain while the Italians launched an invasion of Egypt, but they did not advance very far into the country, seemingly content to build up fortifications. The British were reeling from the fall of France, but they had not been dealt a crushing blow and could recover, given enough time.

Chiang took advantage of the French collapse by bullying the French State to give the ROC basing rights and allow troop movement, 'to act as security against Japanese aggression.' This was followed by an influx of VNQDD (Note: Vietnamese version of the KMT) party members into Vietnam. Significant numbers of the VNQDD had been in China either serving in the NRA or receiving training from the KMT. The French initially resisted, but the Chinese forces crossed the border anyways, eventually bringing the French to the negotiating table. The Republic of Indochina (ROI) was soon proclaimed, but this government was essentially a puppet of China and had significantly less independence than the ROK.

8w0ksgL.png

Flag of the newly formed Republic of Indochina

This aggressive action alienated much of the western world against China, causing an end to all arm shipments from France, Britain, and the United States. The U.S. threatened significant embargoes if China took anymore provocative actions, forcing Chiang to stop his expansion. A significant amount of NRA soldiers were tied up in Indochina, helping to suppress Communist nationalists. The Vietnamese Communists were fairly disorganized due to the fall of the CCP and the deaths of most of the high level leaders. However, they had popular nationalist sentiment on their side, proving a thorn in the side of the KMT and ROI security apparatus.

Japan had considered taking advantage of Germany's victory over France, but they were roiled by internal strife. Konoe was soon assassinated by a junior IJN officer as retribution for his peace treaty with China. This was but the prelude for a larger revolt among radical IJN officers, reminiscent of the February 26 Incident of 1936. This time, the rebels stormed the Imperial Palace, determined to secure the Emperor, unlike the previous revolt. They captured him that evening, but Hirohito would not speak to them further after he commanded them to surrender immediately. Loyal units soon surrounded the Imperial Palace, placing the rebels under siege. A standoff ensued though, as neither side wished to risk harm to the Emperor.

The incident ended after five days when Hirohito persuaded most of the enlisted men to surrender, promising they would not be harshly punished. Unable to resist the direct command of their Emperor, they turned on the rebel leaders and ended the revolt. The key conspirators were executed while the low-level players were given prison sentences based on their level of control in the revolt.

In addition to the naval officers' revolt, there was widespread unrest due to the peace with China. Returning prisoner's of war were harassed by extreme nationalists for their 'cowardice and dishonor', horrifying Japanese people that had family, friends, and neighbors that had surrendered in China. Popular sentiment was shifting leftward and strongly against any further wars. The Emperor had been troubled by the drift to war in earlier years, but he had been too weak to do anything about them. However, he now felt popular sentiment was on his side while the Army factions had been humbled by their failings in China. The IJN revolt did much to discredit the Navy despite the fact that most were uninvolved with the coup attempt. Finally, his imprisonment by the Navy officer's had a dramatic impact on his opinion of the military; while the officers' intent is debatable, the Emperor felt his life had been in danger. All of this spurred dramatic action, termed the Showa Restoration by historians.

The Emperor took a much more active role in Japan's government, spearheading a change to the constitution. The goal was to remove the military's outsized influence on the country and restore some form of civilian government with the Emperor at its head. By exploiting the military's intense loyalty to him Hirohito managed to push through many changes to the constitution. Perhaps the most important was that the Army and Navy ministers in the cabinet could no longer cause a government to fall by resigning, reducing their influence on the country. Rather than forming a constitutional monarchy, Hirohito centralized the Emperor's role in governing, satisfying the military's demand for strong rule while also satisfying the common people's desire for change.

The Japanese government's foreign policy was also changed during the Showa Restoration, taking a less aggressive tone while still aiming to project strength. Rather than forcibly securing resources from either the mainland or southeast Asia, trade with the United States and Soviet Union was increased. Finished goods were then sold to China, Korea, Indochina, and Thailand where they competed with lower-quality products made by inefficiently run KMT factories. The military remained strong however and secured a substantial buildup of Taiwan's defenses while the IJN secured funding to maintain a fleet substantially larger than any possible rivals. This was combined with strict neutrality in WWII, leading to a larger foreign policy known as 'armed neutrality'.

After the fall of France, a series of dramatic campaigns occurred in the Mediterranean. Italy lost an entire army in Egypt and was nearly pushed out of North Africa before Germany intervened. This then led to a series of back and forth battles stretching from Tripoli to Egypt, tying down both British and Italian forces. Germany launched their own campaigns, namely the Battle of Britain and the Battle for the Atlantic. Both were aimed at forcing Britain from the war, with the first aiming to shatter their morale while the second aimed to starve them out.

TKKWuHF.jpg

British fighters on-course to intercept German bombers

The Battle for Britain captured the public's attention, but the Battle for the Atlantic would prove to be the decisive campaign. While the German bombing terrified the populace, it actually hardened their resolve and solidly turned the British public against peace with Germany. The exploits of their brave pilots also restored morale and pride after the humiliation of retreat from France. In the Atlantic, German submarines ranged far and wide from newly captured French ports, threatening British shipping from the Americas and Africa.

QYOX2F3.jpg
German submarine U-154, prowling in search of British shipping

President Roosevelt had publicly swore that American aid was available to the victims of aggression after Italy declared war on the Allies, signifying that American entry was only a matter of time (assuming FDR won reelection). Roosevelt was determined to aid Britain as much as possible without overly upsetting the isolationists in the U.S., buying time to prepare military industry and sway the populace toward intervention. The Germans initially tried to avoid provoking the U.S. by not torpedoing their ships, but this became more difficult over time. Roosevelt soon declared a 'Closed Zone' wherein belligerent ships would not be allowed within 300 miles of the U.S. coasts. However, this was explicitly aimed against German submarines, and the Zone would expand further out as American strength grew.

By August, the USN was collaborating with the Royal Navy and American forces occupied Greenland, denying Germany another port. This was followed by a deal wherein the British were given destroyers in exchange for bases. After securing reelection, Roosevelt announced Lend Lease, wherein the United States would directly arm the British in their war against the Axis. America had become a belligerent in all but name, frustrating the Germans greatly. In April, a U.S. destroyer attacked a German sub that had torpedoed a Dutch ship, marking the first clash between the USN and Kriegsmarine. American ships were soon escorting British convoys, scouting for German subs, and had pushed the 'Closed Zone' all the way to Iceland. Several more incidents occurred through the summer of 1941, and Germany began targeting U.S. ships intentionally.

All of this news was disrupted by news of Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941. After securing their flank by invading Yugoslavia and rescuing the Italian invasion of Greece, the Germans had turned east to Hitler's true goal. The German army made dramatic gains and captured millions of Soviet soldiers, overwhelming the unprepared Red Army in the opening phase of the war. However, the onset of winter stiffened Soviet resistance and proved it would not be a short war as Hitler had predicted.

vojTnfG.png

The Eastern Front devolved into a meat grinder as neither side seemed capable of achieving absolute victory. However, the Battle for the Atlantic was increasingly turning against Germany as Roosevelt instituted a 'Shoot on Sight' order against German subs on Sep. 11, 1941. An incident between the USS Greer and U-652 had precipitated this, causing a state of war to exist between the two countries in all but name. All restraint ended, and U.S. escorts were soon battling German submarines wherever they were encountered.

It is uncertain how long this state of affairs could have continued for, but Hitler eventually settled the matter by declaring war on the United States on Mar. 3, 1942. The Eastern Front was deteriorating despite his best efforts while the British were stubbornly holding on in North Africa, leading to something of a deterioration in the Fuhrer's state of mind. This impetuous declaration of war came when he received news an entire wolf pack had been sunk by the USN, causing him to fly into a rage. Hitler reportedly demanded revenge on the Americans, eventually leading him to decide war was the best solution. He would come to regret this decision.

By the end of 1942, Germany's position had become untenable. The German-Italian army had been halted at El-Alamein, and the British had broken the Axis' back soon after, sending that theater into collapse. This was combined with Allied landings across French territory in North Africa, leaving Axis forces in a pincer and doomed to encirclement. Meanwhile, the Soviets were growing stronger and encircled the German 6th Army in Stalingrad. Hitler ordered them to hold out as rescue was coming, but their fate seemed sealed at this point.

ItHLq9b.png

1943 marked the beginning of the war's shift in the Allies favor as Britain and the U.S. cleared out North Africa and invaded Italy, causing the fascist regime to collapse. Meanwhile, the Soviets made substantial gains and blunted a German offensive at Kursk, marking the end of German superiority in the east. An invasion of France was becoming increasingly likely, especially as American forces were known to be building up in England. Germany's only hope was to fortify their territory so well that the western Allies negotiated a peace, allowing the Germans to focus on the Soviets. This was not very likely, but the Germans had done a good job shoring up Italy and halting any significant Allied gains after the initial surrender.

The dreaded Allied landing finally came in June of 1944, forcing the Germans to defend three active fronts in addition to troops necessary to garrison all their other conquered territories. The Germans were too slow to react, and the Allies secured their beaches, allowing them to bring in significant forces. It took some time, but Allied forces eventually broke out and liberated France, threatening the German homeland. The true death knell of Nazi Germany came as the Soviets launched Operation Bagration, perhaps the most decisive operation of the entire war. Almost the entirety of Germany's Army Group Center was destroyed, breaking the front line and forcing the Germans all the way back to Poland.

5BGo4uW.jpg

As both fronts collapsed, Hitler became increasingly erratic and urged the Germans to greater and greater sacrifices. A rational leader would have negotiated at this point, but Hitler was not that leader. Instead, Germany was forced to bear invasions from both the east and west, leaving the country shattered, scarred by war, and split among the victors. During the battle of Berlin against the Soviets, Hitler committed suicide on April 4, 1945, leaving his successors to formally surrender. The Soviets received the bulk of eastern Europe and formed several puppet states, determined to create a buffer against invasion from the west. Meanwhile, the United States and Britain restored France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Norway's legitimate governments while working to eradicate fascism in both Germany and Italy. After six years of brutal war, the world was once again at peace.

In Asia, Japan and China had spent this peace rebuilding their shattered countries with varying levels of success. Japan's 'armed neutrality' appeared to have worked well as Japanese industry greatly profited from the Soviets' need for military goods while no more soldiers were lost. Relations had improved with Britain and the United States due to the less aggressive foreign policy, allowing raw imports to continue to grow unimpeded. The IJN had even received new carriers to counter the nascent ROCN, leaving all factions relatively satisfied. Germany's disastrous defeat shattered the reputation of those that had favored joining the Axis alliance although some ultra-nationalists continued to claim Konoe had committed a stab-in-the-back and betrayed his country. However, these became increasingly fringe positions as the majority was satisfied with growing wealth and international prestige.

China's post-war period was much more tumultuous as all the social unrest that had been suppressed by war was unleashed. Chiang had thought the destruction of the Communists would end internal dissent, but that was totally untrue. The KMT still faced dissent due to intellectuals opposed to its authoritarianism, former warlords, corruption, ultra-nationalists, and especially peasants desiring land reform. Some efforts were made to alleviate this, such as capping taxes on peasants to 37% (Note: It's pretty incredible this was considered a good reform OTL, but that's how oppressive peasant taxes were in China). Perhaps the most successful reform was confiscating land, redistributing it to the peasants, and then compensating the former landowners with shares in former Japanese companies in Manchuria and Korea (Note: This is based on what was done in Taiwan OTL). This was a useful reform, but there were far more peasants than there were companies to sell, leading to a very uneven improvement. Coastal China, the heart of KMT authority, saw a significant improvement in living conditions, but rural areas saw no change and continued to live like they had for centuries.

The economy was growing, but was incredibly uneven. Unrest would continue as some groups suffered under KMT policies while others thrived, leaving China in a mess (Note: Not unlike many third world countries in OTL). However, two insurgencies dominated Chiang's attention in the immediate post-war era. The first, in Indochina, was already briefly discussed and would eventually be stamped out by the end of the 1940s. The Communists fought a stubborn campaign, mobilizing the people to their cause and hurting the ROI several times. However, they were totally cut off from outside help, and the NRA slowly forced them into remote areas, reminiscent of the CCP. The armed revolt would eventually be snuffed out, although left-wing agitation would continue for years, together with a more general nationalist sentiment. The second insurgency was in Xinjiang, where the Soviet Union supplied rebels with arms, funds, and safe haven. The goal was to have the region break from the KMT and form a buffer against China. This insurgency would plague China for years, severely harming the relations between China and the Soviet Union.

Foreign policy also proved complicated for China. The ROCN's expansion plans fell through when the western Allies cut off military support while the ROCAF rushed to produce copies of various American, French, and German aircraft.The formal goal of the NRA remained the acquisition of Taiwan, but it was becoming increasingly clear this could not be achieved anytime soon. However, relations with the west soon improved after they invaded French North Africa, making China's actions in Indochina slightly less controversial. The ROC soon found partners willing to help in naval construction, causing a panicked naval expansion in Japan. Tensions would remain high over Taiwan, but it soon became clear China would not be launching an invasion anytime soon.

The ROC had risen to the world stage and asserted itself as a country, but there were new troubles to confront the nation. Economic growth dominated the public's attention while insurgency in Xinjiang threatened to tear China apart once more. Relations with Japan remained poor due to grievances from the Second Sino-Japanese War and the desire for Taiwan. However, the world seemed to be entering a new era of peace, filling people everywhere with hope...

Note: Well, I think that's it! It's been fun to write, and I hope this is a decent conclusion to this AAR! Feel free to share your thoughts!

I hope nobody minds my focus on the Atlantic, but I really do think U.S. entry into the war was inevitable, even if Japan was removed. I kept things in Europe largely historical although some dates shifted since I didn't see any reason things would go dramatically differently. I think Asia is fairly balanced as it would be historically, and I personally find the idea of Imperial Japan surviving WWII really fascinating, so I found a way to make that work which (maybe) is plausible.

I think people that argue KMT China would become a democracy if they had won the Civil War in OTL are wrong, but this China avoided the worst effects of OTL WWII and aren't in quite as bad of a situation. They're basically an authoritarian, right-wing dictatorship that struggles to get out of poverty, but also isn't a complete disaster. Fairly common in the post-war era, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

I really appreciate everyone that has followed along with this work! I don't know if I would have kept this going without everyone's support! Thanks for being very welcoming and helpful. I will write another HOI3 AAR at some point, but I'm aiming to do only one at a time (for now). If you enjoyed my writing, I currently have an AAR on the HOI4 forum, playing the Fallout mod, Old World Blues: Savages of Utah - A White Legs Tribe AAR. It's obviously quite a bit different in style and heavily focused on the narrative, but I think it's some of my best writing so far. Knowledge of Fallout is not necessary since everything is explained as it comes up. I appreciate anyone who checks it out!

• 5Like
Reactions:
However, relations with the west soon improved after they invaded French North Africa, making China's actions in Indochina slightly less controversial.
I'm confused by this. Wouldn't France still want Indochina back? Unless the Soviets and USA are pushing for no more Imperialism like OTL.

Also its interesting there is no Cold War, UN, or Nukes in this world. Do you think the US and Soviets could still have tensions in this environment? Maybe even an actual war, since there isn't the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction.

This multi-part epilogue was really great! It wrapped up a lot of stuff while also leaving some questions as I mentioned above. Glad I could read through it and that I caught up here at the end.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm confused by this. Wouldn't France still want Indochina back? Unless the Soviets and USA are pushing for no more Imperialism like OTL.
That's an oversight on my part! France should want it back badly, but I don't see the U.S. or Soviets helpings, so they're out of luck.

Also its interesting there is no Cold War, UN, or Nukes in this world. Do you think the US and Soviets could still have tensions in this environment? Maybe even an actual war, since there isn't the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction.
I figure these developments are kind of up in the air. I don't know if the UN would come around since it wasn't a truly global war, but there's certainly NATO and Warsaw Pact. I wanted to leave future tensions vague, although I suspect there'd be some sort of Cold War. I also figure nukes are being developed but obviously not known since I couldn't see the U.S. nuking Germany when they had largely collapsed already.

This multi-part epilogue was really great! It wrapped up a lot of stuff while also leaving some questions as I mentioned above. Glad I could read through it and that I caught up here at the end.
I'm glad you enjoyed following along! This AAR has been a lot of fun to write, and I appreciate your comments!

• 2Like
Reactions:
It make a lot of sense for the European war to follow the historical course and although the US only had to focus on one theatre in this timeline, I'm not sure that would have made a lot of difference to the timing or the nature of the outcome. As for the future of Europe, I don't see any reason to doubt there would be a cold war here between the West and the Soviet bloc - there is so much in common with OTL.

Emperor Hirohito seems to have played his cards well. Japan retains a powerful navy and it will be a very long time before China can even begin to challenge the IJN. The future of Asia and the Pacific is certainly going to be very different with two major, independent and competing powers in Japan and China, neither of which is closely aligned with either of the superpowers.

Interesting you decided for China to take the first step along the same path as Japan by extending her influence into Indochina, but happily Chiang was astute enough not to push things too far with the Americans and the British. That was surely a wise choice given China's internal issues and with Stalin seeking to destabilise the country.

A credible and well written ending to this AAR. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Obviously I must first congratulate you on overcoming miserable technological failings and bringing this work to a decent conclusion. The Japanese outcome seems plausible and I certainly agree no-one in the West is going to extend much effort to help France get it's lost colonies back. Still reckon you are being a bit generous to China, I cannot see that land reform going well given the amount of corruption within the ROC and the generally disastrous history of every other bit of land reform regardless of government. But overall the Far Eastern ending does indeed seem reasonable.

However I'm afraid I must break with the consensus around the rest of this ending. No war in the Far East means the war in Europe and the Middle East will be substantially different. Just to pick a few points

* No need to send forces out East, the Australian Imperial Force stays in North Africa. That's an entire corps of well trained, veteran troops who know how to fight in the desert. No way does that not make a massive difference to how quickly North Africa gets mopped up, particularly because;
* At sea the RN doesn't have to try and cover too many places with not enough ships. No Eastern Fleet frees up a lot of ships for the North Atlantic and the Med convoys will be more heavily reinforced. Though that isn't the big change;
* With nothing to do in the Far East do you really think the entire USN is going to just float about in the Pacific? I can genuinely see Nimitz and Cunningham working together to run convoys through the Med. Operation Harpoon will not be a heroic but near run victory, it will be an utter thrashing of the Italians and leave Fleigerkorps X a shattered husk. North Africa gets cleared out by the end of 1942.
* In that scenario Italy must start plotting to change side earlier and Vichy will be forced into a harder decision earlier. Both of those point to a more favourable position for the Allies and a shorter war.
* If Japan is still neutral then the Eastern Lend-Lease route remains open for weapons (OTL the Japanese allowed food, equipment though but not guns, aircraft, etc). That route also no longer relies on the tiny Soviet merchant marine but can use Allied shipping. The Trans-Siberian railway was literally built to supply a war in the Far East from Moscow, so it can absolutely work in reverse. The Arctic Convoys are not required, nor is the diversion of the Persian Campaign, because the Far East option works.
* To be boring and practical the biggest single limitation on the Allies was shipping and landing craft. That is not a problem any more because there is no Pacific campaign and no competing claims. This opens up countless options, off the top of my head, the Anzio landing with the amount of landing craft they wanted and not the far smaller number they got. But the Allies could never exploit their naval supremacy as much as they would like due to shipping limits that just don't exist if there is no Pacific War. Not every one will succeed, but enough will.
* To look at morale and psychology - no Fall of Singapore. That was a psychological and prestige hammer blow that just doesn't happen. Huge effects in the war, even larger ones post-war if Oz and NZ never need to look to the US for defence and Britain remains a power in the East.
* On a similar note a huge change in India; no INA and no shaking of the Raj. Oh sure Congress still want independence and that will still happen post-war (hopefully a bit better organised), but during the war a huge force is freed up from fighting in Burma to fight elsewhere, no internal security problems, no logistics disruptions (no Bengal famine for starters), enormous changes all over the place.

I can see the attraction of just having things roughly happen as OTL, it would be a mammoth task to work out the impact of all those changes, but I just can't see it happening.

• 3Like
Reactions:
For sure, without the demands of the PTO, you would have the USMC storming ashore in any kind of Torch/Husky/Shingle/Overlord. Hell, Overlord becomes far larger, for sure since no diversion of LSTs... That means that the Germans get curbstomped faster.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It make a lot of sense for the European war to follow the historical course and although the US only had to focus on one theatre in this timeline, I'm not sure that would have made a lot of difference to the timing or the nature of the outcome. As for the future of Europe, I don't see any reason to doubt there would be a cold war here between the West and the Soviet bloc - there is so much in common with OTL.
I think the Cold War is inevitable although it might take a different tone than OTL. It seems like things intensified after the CCP won the Chinese Civil War, basically convincing the U.S. that it needed to be more active in opposing communism.

Emperor Hirohito seems to have played his cards well. Japan retains a powerful navy and it will be a very long time before China can even begin to challenge the IJN. The future of Asia and the Pacific is certainly going to be very different with two major, independent and competing powers in Japan and China, neither of which is closely aligned with either of the superpowers.
I thought Japan would be able to recover, and I wanted them to just to see their Empire survive past WWII.

Interesting you decided for China to take the first step along the same path as Japan by extending her influence into Indochina, but happily Chiang was astute enough not to push things too far with the Americans and the British. That was surely a wise choice given China's internal issues and with Stalin seeking to destabilise the country.
I figured Chiang would overplay his hand when he had a chance, but I think he would stop the moment punishment came down on him.

Obviously I must first congratulate you on overcoming miserable technological failings and bringing this work to a decent conclusion. The Japanese outcome seems plausible and I certainly agree no-one in the West is going to extend much effort to help France get it's lost colonies back. Still reckon you are being a bit generous to China, I cannot see that land reform going well given the amount of corruption within the ROC and the generally disastrous history of every other bit of land reform regardless of government. But overall the Far Eastern ending does indeed seem reasonable.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Japan portion! I tried to hedge my bets with China where some regions don't change at all and only the coastal areas really see any improvement.

However I'm afraid I must break with the consensus around the rest of this ending. No war in the Far East means the war in Europe and the Middle East will be substantially different. Just to pick a few points
I can see the attraction of just having things roughly happen as OTL, it would be a mammoth task to work out the impact of all those changes, but I just can't see it happening.
Honestly, there's so many little things that could totally change history. What I tried to do is have a later U.S. entry but things occur quicker, equaling out to a roughly OTL timeline. I was perhaps a bit harsh on the UK since they would have quite a few more units, so you'll have to give me a pass on that one :)

However, even if North Africa is cleared out earlier, there's frankly nothing the British can do without U.S. entry unless they go on one of Churchill's adventures in the Balkans or Norway. That leaves a wait until the U.S. joins and gears up enough to send forces overseas, maybe putting us around OTL?

On the Soviets, better lend lease would be useful, but they also wouldn't get the bulk of it as early since the U.S. joins later. I assumed the higher rate for a shorter time washes out to not much difference. It's also hard to quantify how much American trucks and other supplies impacted the Eastern Front.

For sure, without the demands of the PTO, you would have the USMC storming ashore in any kind of Torch/Husky/Shingle/Overlord. Hell, Overlord becomes far larger, for sure since no diversion of LSTs... That means that the Germans get curbstomped faster.
Would Overlord really be larger? It seems like supply, not the Germans, was the main limitation in liberating France and pushing into Germany. Unless the Allies could secure more ports, I don't think more troops would have been particularly useful. There's also the limitation of decent beaches, so I'd be curious to see where else they could even attempt landings.

I appreciate the criticisms and I think they're fair. I'm not sure it's blatantly obvious that the war would be over dramatically quicker, but I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion either. I guess that's the other benefit of this epilogue, we get to debate alt-hist!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I add my congratulations to those others on successfully completing the AAR, and my thanks for the extra work on the hypothetical epilogue that puts an endpoint to what a glitch ended too early.
A significant amount of NRA soldiers were tied up in Indochina, helping to suppress Communist nationalists.
Good luck with that, though the chances would be better than in OTL. But likely a long term sore point.
Rather than forcibly securing resources from either the mainland or southeast Asia, trade with the United States and Soviet Union was increased.
Very wise ;)
The military remained strong however and secured a substantial buildup of Taiwan's defenses while the IJN secured funding to maintain a fleet substantially larger than any possible rivals. This was combined with strict neutrality in WWII, leading to a larger foreign policy known as 'armed neutrality'.
As I’ve mentioned before, when comparing to OTL, the war in China ended up being a very good one to lose for Japan. Like chopping off an arm to save a life.
Relations had improved with Britain and the United States due to the less aggressive foreign policy, allowing raw imports to continue to grow unimpeded.
That seems plausible too.
Chiang had thought the destruction of the Communists would end internal dissent, but that was totally untrue.
Also likely, you’d think.
Note: This is based on what was done in Taiwan OTL
A little analogous to post-revolutionary France, too.
Relations with Japan remained poor due to grievances from the Second Sino-Japanese War and the desire for Taiwan. However, the world seemed to be entering a new era of peace, filling people everywhere with hope...
Hope comes before a fall …
Well, I think that's it! It's been fun to write, and I hope this is a decent conclusion to this AAR! Feel free to share your thoughts!
Great job, have really enjoyed the ride!
I think people that argue KMT China would become a democracy if they had won the Civil War in OTL are wrong, but this China avoided the worst effects of OTL WWII and aren't in quite as bad of a situation. They're basically an authoritarian, right-wing dictatorship that struggles to get out of poverty, but also isn't a complete disaster. Fairly common in the post-war era, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch.
Also plausible.
I will write another HOI3 AAR at some point, but I'm aiming to do only one at a time (for now).
Wise policy! It will take me some time yet to reduce my own AAR load and get back to developing my HOI3 mod.
* No need to send forces out East, the Australian Imperial Force stays in North Africa. That's an entire corps of well trained, veteran troops who know how to fight in the desert. No way does that not make a massive difference to how quickly North Africa gets mopped up
Good point.
* To look at morale and psychology - no Fall of Singapore. That was a psychological and prestige hammer blow that just doesn't happen. Huge effects in the war, even larger ones post-war if Oz and NZ never need to look to the US for defence and Britain remains a power in the East.
That too.

But in the end, the epilogue is as the writer sees it, so I’m happy with that! :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
If I recall my readings correctly, Eisenhower thought that the ten divisions (seven infantry and three airborne) were the absolute minimum that could give them a chance of success. Sure, they would have had more mouths to feed (and trucks to keep gassed up), but they would have had more ships the bring in supplies. Getting more forces ashore faster because you don't have to wait for them to go back to collect follow-on units means that the local superiority on balance is reached faster. Scraping enough LSTs together for overlord took years, trying to balance between the ETO/PTO.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly, there's so many little things that could totally change history. What I tried to do is have a later U.S. entry but things occur quicker, equaling out to a roughly OTL timeline. I was perhaps a bit harsh on the UK since they would have quite a few more units, so you'll have to give me a pass on that one
Some crimes can never be forgiven, this is one of them. ( ;) )

However, even if North Africa is cleared out earlier, there's frankly nothing the British can do without U.S. entry unless they go on one of Churchill's adventures in the Balkans or Norway. That leaves a wait until the U.S. joins and gears up enough to send forces overseas, maybe putting us around OTL?
This is obviously rubbish I'm afraid. If nothing else an invasion of Italy could be done with British Empire troops alone, the geography plays to their naval strengths and even at the time it was known Mussolini's regime could not take that many serious defeats. The push on into Germany, yeah that would be tricky for Britain and Dominion troops alone, but getting up the Alps is easily doable.

On the Soviets, better lend lease would be useful, but they also wouldn't get the bulk of it as early since the U.S. joins later. I assumed the higher rate for a shorter time washes out to not much difference. It's also hard to quantify how much American trucks and other supplies impacted the Eastern Front.
Once again your criminal under-rating of Britain is your undoing. All the initial lend lease came from Britain on the early PQ convoys to murmansk. 40% of the tanks that stopped the Germans at the Battle of Moscow were British, 15% of the aircraft were British supplied as well (and that's just the notional strength, the Soviets were throwing biplanes into the fight so the British aircraft were ~30% of the modern aircraft available).

After that, well it helps the Soviets win faster but it is no longer critical. It took the Germans till mid 1942 to get together enough forces in Norway to seriously threaten the PQ convoys, but in TTL by mid 1942 the US is in the war and the Trans-Siberian route can be running. This frees up a lot of RN ships to do more useful things than run convoys to the Soviets, things like beating the Italians in the Med.

If I recall my readings correctly, Eisenhower thought that the ten divisions (seven infantry and three airborne) were the absolute minimum that could give them a chance of success. Sure, they would have had more mouths to feed (and trucks to keep gassed up), but they would have had more ships the bring in supplies. Getting more forces ashore faster because you don't have to wait for them to go back to collect follow-on units means that the local superiority on balance is reached faster. Scraping enough LSTs together for overlord took years, trying to balance between the ETO/PTO.
Absolutely this. The cliche about experts studying logistics can get over-used, other things are important, but in this case it is true. Shipping and landing craft were a key bottleneck and no PTO change that fundamentally.

To go back to Wraith's earlier point, the USMC will be involved in Europe as well, which is not just more troops it is a better understanding of amphibious ops and the follow up in general. It is very hard to imagine the USMC making some of the mistakes of Shingle/Anzio, then again Clark is one of the leading contenders for 'Most over-promoted and out of their depth officer in the WW2 US Army' so it is very easy to do better than him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I add my congratulations to those others on successfully completing the AAR, and my thanks for the extra work on the hypothetical epilogue that puts an endpoint to what a glitch ended too early.
Thanks for reading along Bullfilter! It's been a lot of fun and I appreciate your comments.

As I’ve mentioned before, when comparing to OTL, the war in China ended up being a very good one to lose for Japan. Like chopping off an arm to save a life.
That's what I was hoping to go for, so I'm glad it came across.

A little analogous to post-revolutionary France, too.
An interesting comparison, thanks for sharing.
Wise policy! It will take me some time yet to reduce my own AAR load and get back to developing my HOI3 mod.
It seems like Talking Turkey is getting closer to done, especially since the updates seem to cover more ground with less action going on. Of course, invading Italy will change all that :)

OK, that's interesting to see. That means they probably would have a quicker breakout from Normandy then, possibly trapping more German units. You've convinced me there's a dramatic change there.

Some crimes can never be forgiven, this is one of them. ( ;) )
Mea culpa!

The push on into Germany, yeah that would be tricky for Britain and Dominion troops alone, but getting up the Alps is easily doable.
I don't know if I'd say easily, but it is certainly believable since they'd have enough landing craft to hop their way up Italy, avoiding the slugging match of going overland.

Once again your criminal under-rating of Britain is your undoing. All the initial lend lease came from Britain on the early PQ convoys to murmansk. 40% of the tanks that stopped the Germans at the Battle of Moscow were British, 15% of the aircraft were British supplied as well (and that's just the notional strength, the Soviets were throwing biplanes into the fight so the British aircraft were ~30% of the modern aircraft available).
I had no idea the British shipped over that many tanks and aircraft early in the war. The raw numbers don't seem that impressive, but it looks like they arrived at the perfect time.

Absolutely this. The cliche about experts studying logistics can get over-used, other things are important, but in this case it is true. Shipping and landing craft were a key bottleneck and no PTO change that fundamentally.
Wraith has convinced me that more ships/forces would be useful for Overlord, but my point is that by late 1944, the Allies were outrunning their supplies in France, not lacking in manpower. More divisions wouldn't help unless they could quickly secure important ports, so then the question is what was the capacity of the ports the Allies had? If they could handle more shipping OTL, then supply issues go down, otherwise I don't see a dramatic change.

This is fun though, and I've learned a lot about Britain's involvement!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had no idea the British shipped over that many tanks and aircraft early in the war. The raw numbers don't seem that impressive, but it looks like they arrived at the perfect time.
It was a very controversial decision at the time and to an extent today, had even one of the PQ convoys been sent to the Far East it is likely Singapore would never have fallen. But would that slight reduction in the forces outside Moscow have been enough to allow the Germans to win? And while Stalin had a good talk, would the Soviet Union really fight on if Moscow was lost? Very easy to say you would, especially with hindsight about what the Germans had planned, but at the time I'm not 100% convinced.

Wraith has convinced me that more ships/forces would be useful for Overlord, but my point is that by late 1944, the Allies were outrunning their supplies in France, not lacking in manpower. More divisions wouldn't help unless they could quickly secure important ports, so then the question is what was the capacity of the ports the Allies had? If they could handle more shipping OTL, then supply issues go down, otherwise I don't see a dramatic change.
My first challenge is would Overlord have happened in the Summer of 44. Would it actually have been Roundup which was planned for summer '43? A big reason for the delay was lack of shipping and landing craft (not applicable with no PTO) and the need to get North Africa cleared (also not applicable). The former was the reason Eisenhower ruled anything out until '44 because shipping logistics dictated strategy, without that I think the US push massively for a '43 landing.

Based on your TL having the US join the war March '42 and there being no Pacific War;

* Australian I corps never leaves North Africa, so Gazala is a victory that stops Rommell. In the Med by mid-Summer the USN is supporting the RN convoy efforts, with the extra forces Operation Harpoon is a decisive victory, Malta re-supplied and Axis supply lines cut. Basically the post 2nd Alamein German retreat starts about 6 months earlier. Tunisia Campaign and the Germans invading Vichy also gets brought up by 6 months, one the DAK hit the Tunisia border a decision has to be made by Vichy. Either way by the Autumn North Africa is resolved and probably the Germans have occupied Vichy.
* The US Army wants to launch a massive invasion of somewhere, but there is clearly no point doing Torch. They hated Sicily in OTL and only agreed as it would help clear the Med, that logic still stands and with the USN probably losing a few ships in that campaign they would also be keen. Plus of course even the very optimistic Joint Chiefs didn't think they would be ready to hit France that early.
* So say January 1943 Sicily gets invaded, larger force than OTL (more shipping, no losses in Torch, etc). With even more naval forces around, more carriers and more ground forces the Axis can't evacuate Sicily so the follow up invasion of Italy goes even smoother than OTL.
* Germany probably pulls troops from the Eastern Front to help Italy, but this is right in the middle of Stalingrad / Little Saturn. It is the worst possible time to divert forces. OTL the Allies invaded in the spring, after 3rd Kharkov when the Germans had at least a bit of breathing room (until Kursk anyway). However let us assume worst case and the forces get sent to Italy as OTL.
* The advance up Italy goes well, because of the lack of Axis evacuation the Allies get further up the country before hitting German resistance.
* Italy was only ever a sideshow for the US, a way to get some ground experience and ease up Med logistics. With that done they go for Roundup. Summer of 1943 landings on a massive front Bolougne to Le Harve. The Germans are in a better condition and the Luftwaffe stronger, but against the Allies have the USMC and an even greater advantage in the air and at sea due to no PTO. All German eyes are on the Eastern Front and Italy, plus say a deception operation pointed at Norway and re-opening the Baltic ('to help Stalin') which German intelligence falls for, because it always did, surprise is therefore achieved. Another plus, this is the 1943 Atlantic Wall, so it's not finished and has not had Rommel refine it and lay 6 million mines, so the beach defences are far less imposing.
* Roundup is a success and the landing expands, but the Germans remain good at demolishing ports so that capacity remains constrained.
* Winter of 43 alt-Dragoon in the South of France, linking up the Italian and French fronts.
* A load of really awkward conferences about the future of Europe as the Allies will be a lot further East than OTL, but probably also don't fancy the butchers' bill of taking Berlin. And Manhattan will be nowhere near ready to be useful.
* Final death of the Luftwaffe over the winter as the USAAF and RAF move into French bases, carefully put onto a different supply chain than the armies and starting small but getting deadly.
* Probably some doomed German counter-offensive in early 44. Maybe in the Alps as that is the part of the Reich nearest the Allies and Hitler has a crazy idea about 'breaking out' into the North Italian plains and getting Mussolini back into power.
* Allies breakthrough collapsing Germans and reach their stop lines summer of 1944. Some awakwardness with the Soviets about what to do if the Soviets have not reached theirs, but the war is basically over.

• 3Like
Reactions:
A few more thoughts...

1. There may not be an active Pacific theatre, but that doesn't mean the US and UK can just let their guard down and ignore the potential threat from Japan and China, so there may well be some draw-down of forces but I can't see the USN in particular not keeping a substantial presence in the Pacific as a deterrent.

2. Also please bear in mind the nature of the US entry into the war. There is no devastating surprise attack in this timeline and no direct threat to American territories. Instead there is a German declaration of war whose only practical effect is to involve the USN and the merchant marine in the Battle of the Atlantic. Given the strong isolationist sentiment, would the US have geared up so fast and with such determination in this scenario without the impetus of Pearl Harbor? Or would this instead be seen as just another European war that is still, in the eyes of many, none of their concern?

3. My understanding is that about 80% of the German effort historically was committed against the Soviets. Obviously a stronger and earlier Allied offensive would force Germany to commit additional forces to the west (essentially to the benefit of the Soviets) so I'll concede the war might be ended some months earlier, say some time in '44. What I can't readily see is an ending that doesn't somehow involve Germany being crushed from both sides and a divided Europe as a result.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While quite true about needing to keep a significant force to 'monitor' the Pacific, they are the combat forces: all of those CVEs, LSTs, and other auxiliaries and sealift capacity go to ETO. That's where the significance lies: once the forces are ashore, and further inland, there's no need for the surface fleet, so that's okay.

I'll echo that it's probably a far less popular war, but the popular opinion was turning farther and farther in favor of the British. I don't think the average American wanted necessarily to go to war, but once the war comes, I imagine that there's a push to get things done.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It was a very controversial decision at the time and to an extent today, had even one of the PQ convoys been sent to the Far East it is likely Singapore would never have fallen. But would that slight reduction in the forces outside Moscow have been enough to allow the Germans to win? And while Stalin had a good talk, would the Soviet Union really fight on if Moscow was lost? Very easy to say you would, especially with hindsight about what the Germans had planned, but at the time I'm not 100% convinced.
That seems like a really interesting counterfactual that is basically impossible to answer.

My first challenge is would Overlord have happened in the Summer of 44. Would it actually have been Roundup which was planned for summer '43? A big reason for the delay was lack of shipping and landing craft (not applicable with no PTO) and the need to get North Africa cleared (also not applicable). The former was the reason Eisenhower ruled anything out until '44 because shipping logistics dictated strategy, without that I think the US push massively for a '43 landing.
I know OTL the U.S. pushed hard for '43, but logistics and British hesitation won out. I think you've laid out a pretty convincing timeline of the war in the West. I don't think mine is unreasonable, but it's perhaps a bit unambitious?

My only hesitation with saying North Africa would be cleaned out by end of 1942 is that the Allies would be facing the poor supply situation as they advanced, so as long as the Axis didn't destroy their whole army like El Alamein, they could possibly bounce back or stall at least. Especially if Hitler decided to throw away more divisions into a hopeless cause like he did in Tunisia.

Also please bear in mind the nature of the US entry into the war. There is no devastating surprise attack in this timeline and no direct threat to American territories. Instead there is a German declaration of war whose only practical effect is to involve the USN and the merchant marine in the Battle of the Atlantic. Given the strong isolationist sentiment, would the US have geared up so fast and with such determination in this scenario without the impetus of Pearl Harbor? Or would this instead be seen as just another European war that is still, in the eyes of many, none of their concern?
Also, the U.S. in WWI didn't volunteer en masse, requiring a draft. I could see a war against Germany without a clear impetus meeting a similar reaction, possibly slowing the military's buildup.

My understanding is that about 80% of the German effort historically was committed against the Soviets. Obviously a stronger and earlier Allied offensive would force Germany to commit additional forces to the west (essentially to the benefit of the Soviets) so I'll concede the war might be ended some months earlier, say some time in '44. What I can't readily see is an ending that doesn't somehow involve Germany being crushed from both sides and a divided Europe as a result.
I think Germany is definitely split two ways, and the question is just where. Maybe it could be done by 1944, but that all depends on how quickly the U.S. mobilized to invade France.

While quite true about needing to keep a significant force to 'monitor' the Pacific, they are the combat forces: all of those CVEs, LSTs, and other auxiliaries and sealift capacity go to ETO. That's where the significance lies: once the forces are ashore, and further inland, there's no need for the surface fleet, so that's okay.
That's a good point, and the surface fleet isn't even that important once the Kriegsmarine and Regia Marina had been trashed (before U.S. entry).

I'll echo that it's probably a far less popular war, but the popular opinion was turning farther and farther in favor of the British. I don't think the average American wanted necessarily to go to war, but once the war comes, I imagine that there's a push to get things done.
I think it'd be like WWI where volunteers weren't substantial enough, but people would go once drafted. The main issue for the democracies is they can't throw away their soldiers lives because they/their families vote. This might lead to a more cautious strategy, but in OTL the U.S. was pretty gung-ho to go after Germany, so maybe that wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: