• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We don't need to be contaminated by Austrians who look down upon Prussia: I am an Imperialist, not a pan-Germanist :p! It will be Germans and Germans alone! Besides I love the Imperial borders, don't know why but just look at that gorgeous shape:

View attachment 291519

We don't want any Austrians or Hungarians spoiling those pretty borders :mad:!
Don't forget the Czechs, serbs and croats also not spoiling the borders. I heard that some serbs even once assassinated some Austrian and started world war 1

And I really appreciate that you wanted to adapt your prize to my goals - in the end, you're prize will make it way easier to exert my influence on Europe and as said to maintain the borders of 1914 easier.
Well in some ways, my adapted goal is more accurate and realistic and it also looked nicer. As it's imperialistic, will you colonize colonies?

Alright, I might as well see how this plays out.
Good to have you on board blitzthedragon.

Don't forget the Czechs, serbs and croats also not spoiling the borders. I heard that some serbs even once assassinated some Austrian and started world war 1
Yeah, and we know the results of that for the German Empire :(...

Well in some ways, my adapted goal is more accurate and realistic and it also looked nicer. As it's imperialistic, will you colonize colonies?
I'm not going to take Exploration idea group and colonize myself but it's highly likely I'll conquer what others colonised, depending on what I want. For now I don't really know what I want from overseas territories, we have to unify Germany first. But I definitely want Egypt (sad it's not in the coming Middle East-patch, Egypt looks gorgeous now!) for its strategic position despite historical accuracy. If going historical I might also dominate the Zanzibar node and who knows, just for the fun go conquer Papua New Guinea or so :p. But I think I'll leave that most likely to you the readAARs once the time is there.

Last edited:
Good to have you on board blitzthedragon.

Yeah, and we know the results of that for the German Empire :(...

I'm not going to take Exploration idea group and colonize myself but it's highly likely I'll conquer what others colonised, depending on what I want. For now I don't really know what I want from overseas territories, we have to unify Germany first. But I definitely want Egypt (sad it's not in the coming Middle East-patch, Egypt looks gorgeous now!) for it's strategic position despite historical accuracy. If going historical I might also dominate the Zanzibar node and who knows, just for the fun go conquer Papua New Guinea or so :p. But I think I'll leave that most likely to you the readAARs once the time is there.
Or you could maybe also just take the Suez Canal and give the rest to the ottomans for historical reasons also. Anyway, excited to see the first step of Brandenburg

I knew it would be easy but still congratulations Adamgerd and of course credits to @atwix for guessing right beforehand. You can name your prize Adamgerd :).

*guesses it right*

"yay me" says atwix

*reads on*

"you didn't read the rules, you lose" says Tom.

giphy.gif

;)

Austrians are Germans too, you Imperialist, racist pigdog. :(

;)

*guesses it right*

"yay me" says atwix

*reads on*

"you didn't read the rules, you lose" says Tom.

giphy.gif

;)
Rules are rules but you may recommend something if you want and I can see what I can do for you ;).

Austrians are Germans too, you Imperialist, racist pigdog. :(

;)
But... pretty borders - you can't say the shape of the Empire isn't beautiful... Besides, that is where you are wrong: they speak German, but that doesn't make them Germans ;). And I'll probably take that last sentence as a compliment :D.

The shape of the Empire looks like a beast turning its head to one side, jaws open to take a bite out of Eastern Europe :)

The shape of the Empire looks like a beast turning its head to one side, jaws open to take a bite out of Eastern Europe :)
I hadn't looked at it that way, that's a good one! I do indeed love the shape of that big salient - makes it difficult to defend though but that's actually a big problem in Central Europe: barely any defensible terrain.

I'm disappointed at my American timezone, I was asleep when the contest started! :(

But this seems like it will be a very interesting AAR, especially if you try and keep Europe to their historical borders in 1914. Does that mean you're going to raise an Italian minor all the way up to form Italy?

I'm disappointed at my American timezone, I was asleep when the contest started! :(

But this seems like it will be a very interesting AAR, especially if you try and keep Europe to their historical borders in 1914. Does that mean you're going to raise an Italian minor all the way up to form Italy?
I know the time-zone might have been a problem for some, if I'll ever do such a contest again I'll make sure I'll do it around the evening European time.

And yes, the plan is to ally an Italian minor and conquer everything for them. Client states might be an easier solution to this but I don't want too many of them as they could potentially become stronger than me combined (imagine, stronger than me? Ha!) + I also want them to be more or less independent countries, who can still go their own way. Keeping the balance and keeping them from harassing the historical borders will be a tough challenge, but if the AI messes with everything I won't be disappointed if I didn't succeed.

With the ridiculous development of Germany in general (and especially the north) you shouldn't have to deal with petty austrians revolting.

I know the time-zone might have been a problem for some, if I'll ever do such a contest again I'll make sure I'll do it around the evening European time.

And yes, the plan is to ally an Italian minor and conquer everything for them. Client states might be an easier solution to this but I don't want too many of them as they could potentially become stronger than me combined (imagine, stronger than me? Ha!) + I also want them to be more or less independent countries, who can still go their own way. Keeping the balance and keeping them from harassing the historical borders will be a tough challenge, but if the AI messes with everything I won't be disappointed if I didn't succeed.
It will have to be close as the prize is from 1820, the peak of the Austrian empire and so for example Venice will still belong to Austria-Hungary

With the ridiculous development of Germany in general (and especially the north) you shouldn't have to deal with petty austrians revolting.
The good thing about me having CS now means I can just stop at the German lands and just go crazy on development in the late-game (I just took Economic in 1690 for the -20% dev cost idea group finisher). I can finally build tall empires if I want!

It will have to be close as the prize is from 1820, the peak of the Austrian empire and so for example Venice will still belong to Austria-Hungary
Yeah that's going to be the only non-historic thing in the 1914 setting, I'll give Venice to my Italian minor first and I'll have to betray them to give it to the Austria-Hungary client-state but hopefully they'll accept the alliance again.

The good thing about me having CS now means I can just stop at the German lands and just go crazy on development in the late-game (I just took Economic in 1690 for the -20% dev cost idea group finisher). I can finally build tall empires if I want!

Yeah that's going to be the only non-historic thing in the 1914 setting, I'll give Venice to my Italian minor first and I'll have to betray them to give it to the Austria-Hungary client-state but hopefully they'll accept the alliance again.
1914 in 1821? That'll be interesting to say the least.

That's what I thought too ;).
It might be interesting, if you manage it in for example 1816-1817, so that an alternate 1st world war can begin

Castle-viewing? Which country is it in? Just wondering. Also have fun
Ah damn, I'm sorry fabiolundiense, but that means I'll be able to tease you a little bit longer than ;). Enjoy your castle-viewing :).

Well ! I was aware of the fact that you played without DLC's, but I never would have guessed your new tactic.
The picnic yesterday was great fun. Oh, and the castle visit too :rolleyes: -- Château de Creully.

Deutschland uber alles! Subbed!
Good to see you back weresloth, Deutschland über alles indeed.

Well ! I was aware of the fact that you played without DLC's, but I never would have guessed your new tactic.
The picnic yesterday was great fun. Oh, and the castle visit too :rolleyes: -- Château de Creully.
I once did a 'castle-tour' in the Loire-area and I was really impressed. Never been to Normandy myself though, enjoy your trip.

Prologue: The beginning of an Empire
Prologue: The beginning of an Empire

10th of November 1444 02:00, Berlin.

Prince-Elector Friedrich woke up terrified while falling out of his bed on the cold floor of his room. He just had a horrifying dream of how his little duchy Brandenburg along with all of Germany got swallowed and destroyed by fire. For him, this vision was a clear sign: if all Germans wouldn’t unite under one banner, they will be subdued by greater powers and suffer. But of course not a single German nation would listen to this nonsense, so he knew what he and his successors had to do: unite Germany by themselves and therefore by force. It would become the main goal of the Brandenburg and later Prussian nation.

The next day, he immediately arranged for two political marriages: one with the Polish, to have a powerful neighbour as friend and as ally in his endeavours as well as with Austria, the current Holy Roman Emperor. A marriage and possible alliance with the Emperor will allow him to begin his expansion by reducing the influence of the Emperor on his conquests.

r952j7F.png

imMwk74.png

Besides those royal marriages, Friedrich signed an alliance with the Prince-Elector of Saxony, to counter a rivalling Bohemia. Friedrich also realised his rule over Brandenburg was weak: his family only got the March of Brandenburg in 1411, only 33 years ago and was very loosely governed before his family. If Germany was to be united under the Hohenzollern and Brandenburg rule, we must build our own government institutions to gain firm control over our lands.

Despite our best intents, Austria quickly broke of the promise of marriage without giving a single reason. Our spies and diplomats in Wien reported that the reason probably was because they had “too many diplomatic relations”, whatever that might be. An alliance with Austria was out of the question now.

DxbZKRE.png

On a more positive note, together with the royal marriage and improved relations of our diplomat we were successful in establishing a Brandenburg-Polish alliance. This will provide Brandenburg with the military backing and support needed to wage its first wars in the HRE. The situation got even better when half a year later the Polish king gained a personal union with Lithuania, adding in the weight of them into the alliance.

2eacIdM.png

Now having his first two alliances, Friedrich decided to choose his rivals, and announced the Teutonic Order, Pomerania and Bohemia as Brandenburg’s rivals. Despite this rivalry with the Teutons, the Prince-Elector was able to buy Neumark (in possession of the Holy Order) for 100 ducats. This created a short deficit as Brandenburg’s treasury only contained 73 ducats but Friedrich found the province worth the cost. It would provide a more direct border with the Polish and would also allow Brandenburg to create claims on the provinces of Stettin, Kolberg and Stolp. Especially the latest province was of importance because it would provide a border with the Teutons, which have some important provinces of strategic interest.

F3r3iAT.png

On the international front, the English faced a civil war between the Yorks, which dynasty provided the current English monarch, and the Lancasters who contested the rule of the York dynasty. On the other hand was Crimea, which sought Ottoman protection and became their march.

Q0amTPh.jpg

While all of this was happening, Friedrich had sent his diplomats to fabricate a claim on Lüneburg and was ready to declare war. It would be the first war for Brandenburg, with many yet to come.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So this introduction came faster than I had planned: it is a bit smaller though than I anticipated but I feel this would be a good introduction to the early diplomatic playfield Brandenburg is playing in. I still have the goal to release the now second chapter in the coming weekend though so you won't have to wait too long for the continuation of the first war.

Last edited: