• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You make it sound like you were fishing for me to comment...:)

Chapter 15

As Arn’s army crested the last hill and started the last descend towards the coast and the city of Antalya they were met by a cavalry troop carrying the Venetian colours.

Arn and Angelo rushed forward to meet the Venetians and left it to Alexandros bringing the army the last step to camps and the inevitable siege.

The Cavalry led the Romans to a small hill crowned with a beautiful pavilion overlooking the city. Inside the space was filled comfortable furniture and Turkish carpets and pillows. Carmagnola sprang to his feet and engulfed the two younger officers in a huge hug.

“Arn, Angelo, so good to see you again, and I hear you have been busy while I languished here trying to look busy?”

Arn smiled despite himself, “we wondered why the city hadn’t fallen, now that we are here I’m sure you have a perfectly good explanation as to why the famed Venetian Condoliere have not managed to tear down those walls?”

Carmagnola turned serious, “Isn’t it obvious? The Empire has little need for a Venetian province here, but in conjunction with what ever other successes you have accomplished you may very well be rebuilding the power of East Roman Empire.”

Arn smiled, “so while your navy was occupied chasing Turks, and your masters in Venice had no idea what to do you merely forgot to tell them that a few thousand extra men could have brought the city down?”

“Indeed, ignorance is bliss. Now you have arrived we can quickly skip to the next round, I regretfully will inform the Council of ten that you took over the siege from me, and start loading my troops into their ships in a few weeks time.”

Arn nodded, did you really expect us to make it here?”

“By land? No, I had hoped that you would be able to take Macedonia, even though it looked like it almost failed, and then sailed troops here to take it.”

Angelo smiled, “I was surprised the Turk did not attempt to stop us, they seemed focused on the siege of the Great City and once they were routed from Macedonia they just withdrew.”

Carmagnola nodded, “I have paid my debt to your father now, I have however one last boon to ask. I do not intend to go to the ships when the last one leaves. I will quietly disappear, and ask for a nice retirement in Constantinople?”

Arn shrugged, “I will inform my father, but I see no problems with it as long as you stay discreet and do not rock the boat and sour the relations with the Venetians.”

Carmagnola nodded, and the trio spend the afternoon in agreeable luxury discussing the siege and the preparations Carmagnola had made. As the evening came the best part of the army had arrived and Alexandros joined them.

The following weeks passed quickly, the army routinely fell in to place in the prepared siege works and the siege progressed. The Venetian navy arrived at the same time as Byzantine, and after a few days at anchor the Venetians started boarding their ships for a well-earned trip home.

As the last Venetian Galley was ready to depart with all the honours it was possible for Arn to bestow the commander after the sea battle earlier in the war Carmagnola was mysteriously missing. His pavilion was empty and left for Arn to occupy, but he was nowhere to be seen. The Commander of the Navy duty fully waited for another week, and then finally one clear morning followed the tide out and left the coast.

A few days passed quietly, and suddenly a small group of men rode into camp. A tired looking Carmagnola dismounted near the Pavillion,

“I thought they’d never leave.”

Arn smiled, “I’m sure a few days sleeping on the ground only are good for you.”

Carmagnola merely grumbled. “How is the siege progressing?”

Arn walked to the edge of the hill, “We have tunnels progressing there and there, we do not tihnk they have counter tunnelled yet, so the wall should collapse within a week in the first place, and only a few days later on the second place.”

Caramganola nodded, “And their supplies?”

Arn gestured to the sea where a number of light galleys could easily be seen.

“The rest is down the coast to stop the pirates. They have been attempting to smuggle in food from their coves on the coast. Also the cavalry is scouring the countryside effectively ensuring no one gets through”

Carmagnola nodded and accepted a goblet of wine, “Looks like you don’t need me then.” He drank deeply to quell the thirst of the days in the desolate lands of Teke.

Arn merely smiled, “It is not much, but it will be Roman soon enough.”

Two weeks later, in the early morning Carmagnola was startled out of his sleep by a low rumble followed by brazen trumpets and yelling nearby. He rolled out of his beddings grinning, the first wall had fallen.

He ducked out of his tent in time to see the first wave rushing into the gap, stumbling across the rubble and nearly making it through. The second wave was already there almost catching their comrades in a trap, but not completely.

Moments later the fighting was taken to the streets, and Carmagnola could see a third part of the army forming up far to the right ready to storm the walls.

As the sun sunk into the sea off the coast turning the blockading navy into fire the last of the fighting could be heard from the docks, and apart from the burning of the military quarters the city was calm.

Teke was no more.

Well done! I gather the Venetian army was too small to siege and you stole their siege? Did they really leave as you took over, or is that poetic license?

All in all, the tide in this war has definitely turned. I wonder if the Romans will continue to take the fight to the Turk, or if they will try to get peace now and have some quiet years recovering.

I'm sure you will tell us. Eventually. ;)

Valdemar said:
Teke was no more.

Alas poor Teke I knew him well. :D The tide has indeed turned and I see victory in the distance. ;) March on to greater glory and honor!

Joe

Chapter 16

Konstantinos had secured the province before moving on. Silently bemused that he had to act as security force to the much smaller army that had gone before him.

Now as he waited on the beach to cross into Asia news had reached him that the Teke army had been destroyed and that the land across the narrow strait was clear of enemies.

He stood alone on the small bluff overlooking the busy beach below. All across the once quiet beach the sand had been churned up by men and beast as they struggled to load unto the ships for an easy transfer. Further along the coast at the regular crossing the harbour was filled with even more men and supplies.

Konstantinos was so lost in his reverie that he almost missed the small signs that he was not alone. He stiffened slightly, then relaxed without giving the intruder any sign that he had indeed been recognised.

A slim hand reached out and touched his arm lightly. Konstantinos smiled to himself but did not turn,

“What is on your mind my Lord?”

She stepped up beside him and her slender arm slipped across his waist. He looked down upon her face and smiled as his placed his arm around her shoulders.

“Nothing much, only the loading, but I guess my officers have it under control. “

She smiled, so much had happened since she had tried to kill him and he had accepted her as hostage. He had gotten used to that little smile, she was planning something, but he had no idea what.

Ever since Macedonia he had spent time when he could in her company, at first to be polite and ensure it was not some sort of trap, later by pleasure, and recently almost all his spare time. He had not yet compromised him though the option had been there, and no one would have stopped him or thought less of him. Such were the status of a freed slave in the hands of a conqueror even if she was a hostage.

They had talked long night on the march, and he had learned as much as she about the various ways of the two Empires. Now she had taken to a certain familiarity, but he did not feel like discouraging it, in fact he was pleased that she felt this way.

He allowed her to lead him away from his vantage point after giving his aids the last orders. She led him to two horses and suggested a ride, he conceded after flicking a brief order to his guards on staying close, but not too close.

She chose a path along the beach and Konstantinos enjoyed the salty air as the horses were allowed to stretch out on the hard sand. They soon left the busy beach out of sight behind another cove, and she slowed her horse and chose an inland path leaving the water behind. The guards allowed themselves to be lost form sight, but the Marshall could still feel their presence and knew they were within earshot.

The path followed a winding creek and the sun was soon lost beneath the canopy of large trees. In this dream like green light Konstantinos felt almost like another world, he quickly forgot all about his army and simply enjoyed the air and the sight of the young woman in front of him. They crested a small ridge, the creek falling from the edge and the forest opened up on a small pond all encircled by the trees except for the narrow strip on the opposite side of the small waterfall. Standing there was a small ruin, almost disappearing into the rich vegetation.

Ariana gracefully slipped from her horse and tied it to a branch, then waded slowly into the pond following the edge towards the unknown building. Konstantinos felt a strange anticipation in the air and quickly followed.

The Greek girl from Macedonia disappeared behind the low hanging branches as Konstantinos struggled out of the water. He slowed down, and followed the small wet footsteps on two worn marble steps. He just managed to think, “must be an ancient temple” as he brushed aside the branches. A swarm of sensations hit him and he stood a frozen and merely looked. Before him was a small round opening broken pillars holding back the forest from the mosaic floor and the domed ceiling long gone opening up to the bright sun above. In the far end of the clearing a large white awning had been strung between the pillars, creating a shelter from the sun.

As his eyes adjusted to the bright light he noticed that Ariana disappeared under the awning and he hesitantly followed. Bowing low under the clothes he entered what had to be a well-prepared den and once again sensations overwhelmed his mind. She must have raided every officer in the camp, the small space was filled with a golden light from the filtered sun and all across the floor were carpets and pillows in abundance.

But it was not the bright colours or the inviting softness that drew his eyes. As his eyes focussed he noticed Ariana standing demurely in the centre of the room, eyes downcast. He was about to speak when she lifted her arms stalling the words in his throat. Slowly without talking or raising her eyes she began a delicate slow dance to music only she could hear.

One by one the layers of her clothes fell until she only wore the light under tunic she had worn that day in the bath. With a graceful move she undid her hair, and it spilled down her shoulders covering her front as the tunic shimmered and fell to her feet.

The Marshal took a hesitating step forward knowing this time there would be know hidden knifes. Ariana finally looked up, and in her eyes he saw both invitation and fear. He smiled and gently took her in his arms.

Later, far later as the sun coloured the awning red and the chill form the pool began to seep across the floor Konstantinos looked into her eyes and knew, knew deep in his heart that he now was the hostage, and that he had a lifelong task ahead of him finding out who she was.

Well another siege is the next thing, but frankly I'm loath to write it :(

So instead a bit more developement to the current lovestory, one cannot have too many sideplots right? ;)

Zeno, i kind of like the crusty old bastard my self, he sort of reminds me of someone that used to be aorund, fictive person, old, early renesaince, leader of a battered company, always coming out on top ;)

V

Looks like the makings of a good love scene coming up! It's about time you updated! :) I suppose I should come in here more often and blather about until you post in defense of your story! :)

Valdemar said:
So instead a bit more developement to the current lovestory, one cannot have too many sideplots right? ;)

V

I agree. ;) And it was definitely better than another siege. :D I also agree with Amric that's it about time you posted again. :)

Joe

Storey said:
I agree. ;) And it was definitely better than another siege. :D I also agree with Amric that's it about time you posted again. :)

Joe

Well first I simply got bored :)

Then I thought Phalanx would start a new colaborative..

and now I'm the most glorious majesty King Felipe II of Spain in th 1558 RPG :)

I could always use a few cowriters.. I had Craig Ashley and MrT... though only T is still around :)

V

Ah, the slave girl is back... And she brought us an update! I almost feel like it's Christmas! :p

About not wanting to write yet another siege, who says that you have to? You could just give us the result in the passing, while focusing on something more important (that slave girl, for example? :rolleyes: ).

Whatever you write about, it's nice that you dropped in on your story. And Storey, Amric: don't forget, it's called 'The Slow AAR' for a reason. Vald HAS to stay true to its nature, non?

As long as the quality stays tip top I don't mind the infrequency of the updates. Good work, and about the side plots, you can never have enough. That is untill you find yourself struggling to remember them, then I think you'v had enough.

I thought the posting in this thread meant Valdemar had already updated, but luckily it's the next best thing. Glad to hear you'll continue. After all, I'm still waiting for a triumphant peace deal with the Ottomans. :)