• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lofman

Safe One
33 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
On the Road to Greatness

The most astonishing thing about what I am about to write is not that this is about Magna Graecia, but that it is about Magna Graecia in vanilla. Thats right, no mods, neither mine nor one of the other ones ,partly because not all contain Magna Graecia (and I felt like playing as them), mine doesn't for one, and partly because I wanted to have a real challenge (the mods I have that include them have it slightly easier in my opinion to survive the first war).

Well onto the introduction of our country. Magna Graecia consists of two provinces (Tarentum and Ager Bruttius) in souther Italy. Both have a rather good population, and the resources aren't bad, grain will help in the long run and wood allows us to train archers and construct a navy from the start. Shame about the lack of iron though. However despite these great advantages the situation is rather grim. First of all our main province, Tarentum, doesn't have Greek culture (which we would want, seeing as Magna Graecia is despite the latin name a greek country) so no manpower from there which is especially bad as it would have provided twice the manpower of our other province.

2q3x350.jpg

Bummer. Well we can live with that provided there are no more nasty surprises. Oh, are we at war with Rome? That might be a problem seeing as the have lots of manpower, access to iron so have heavy infantry and their wood means they will also have archers. Their starting army that is standing on the border numbers 26,000 men. We have a measly 6,000. So outnumbered and outmatched, this will be nasty, unless of course we can find the right ally. And lucky us! We have Pyrrhus. Who will get some extra troops soon, but not really that much, and he have this strange obsession with Massilia anyway so he will be of very little help.

Well this doesn't look too good, but I am certain it will all go well. First I should probably set up the ideas. Pick Professional Soldiers for military, neither available military idea is of much use and it might be better to pick something else and forfeit the government type bonus, but I don't do that kind of thing unless there is an idea I really, really want and there is not any such ones at the moment. The other two ideas, Organized Recruitment and Civic Duty are on the other hand decent choices, we want to quickly raise more men, and the harder our fortifications are to breach the better.

2me8nz8.jpg

As I look at who to put in charge of the army I feel lucky. We are blessed with a great potential general. Ariston will lead our army against the foul Romans, hopefully being victorious. It is nice to have people with great martial abilites, the fact he has no charisma but loads of finesse is nice (though as we are a republic a little charisma would have been nice). Command of our so-called navy is given to our Archon whatever he was called, he is a rather unimportant fellow, though the only one of our guys that wasn't generated on start but actually defined by the history files.

2ev4zuo.jpg

And as the war is being planned (the plan is simple, train troops in Ager Bruttius while our army tries to manouver around the Romans and hopefully keep them in place until Pyrrhus finish being a fool and decides to actually trying to fight the real enemy) we receive a diplomatic envoy from the Aetolians. They want an alliance. Why not I say, but unfortunately they don't seem keen to join the war (and thereby hopefully getting those cascading alliances we all heard of going) so we try to improve relations, and then promptly forget about the Aetolians and the fact we are supposed to try to get them to help until after the war is over, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Our manouvering sadly fails to keep Rome from reaching Tarentum. Our army avoided battle, but as the Romans sees no threat they promptly assault and take the city. Not a great start, and Pyrrhus is at Massilia as expected. Worthless ally, could we not asked someone more competent and powerful of assistance? Someone not obsessed with Massilia? Later it seems disaster has struck as our army is caught in Lucania and forced to fight fiercely for its life. And astonishingly we actually are victorious!

2a4pyjb.jpg

Is this a sign of things to come? Can we win this war (anything less then total annexations is counted as a win)? Will the Greek Cities of the West be united and dominate the western mediterranean? Have we begun to take our first steps on the Road to Greatness?

Okay, this is a challenge. Hope you can replace your losses, before the roman war machinery kicks in. *crosses fingers*

The first Rome AAR I ever read was about Magna Graecia. There I think the Romans helped out by sending almost their whole army to Sicily and then getting their fleet sunk, which meant they had no troops in mainland Italy. he then went on a stately rampage and conquered all of Rome's territory (but didn't get sidetracked by Masillia)

Okay, this is a challenge. Hope you can replace your losses, before the roman war machinery kicks in. *crosses fingers*

One can only hope.

Here we go, a Magna Graecia WC :)

WC is unlikely, even with stronger countries I rarely if ever go for world conquest.

The first Rome AAR I ever read was about Magna Graecia. There I think the Romans helped out by sending almost their whole army to Sicily and then getting their fleet sunk, which meant they had no troops in mainland Italy. he then went on a stately rampage and conquered all of Rome's territory (but didn't get sidetracked by Masillia)

It would be great if that happened. Do need to liberate Tarentum though since they would obviously take Croton on the way.

Go Magna Graecia! I'm looking forward to this.

Nice to hear.

On the Road to Greatness

Last time we managed to win a battle against Rome. Sadly the Roman army failed to be utterly and completely annihilated, but you can't get everything. Uncertain of how to proceed, to Tarentum and attempt to liberate the city or meet up with the newly raised troops near Croton, the army stays in Lucania maybe a bit too long. The delay allows the Romans to attack us again and once again we meet them on the field of battle.

fviwqa.jpg

And we lost, limited losses though. For the Romans as well sadly. They are following Ariston as he retreats to Croton to meet up with fresh troops. As we face the Romans again we can note that Pyrrhus has decided to go to Emporion, WRONG WAY PYRRHUS, ITALY IS TO THE EAST OF MASSILIA NOT TO THE WEST! We could really need a better ally. Should have asked the Macedonians. Or maybe even those dreadful Carthaginians. Well as said there is a fierce battle near Croton and it ends in... defeat.

2nr3283.jpg

Our army flees to Sicily, not good, not good at all. Our navy is to small to get them to Tarentum in any reasonable time, and if Croton falls it is all over. Well Pyrrhus annexes Massilia, maybe he will come and help us now? Like he was supposed to? Nevertheless we have no choice, we can't afford to wait until Pyrrhus figures out where Rome is. We must break the siege of Croton, if it falls all is over. The Romans may outnumber us, their troops may be of better quality and they may use the terrain to their advantage (not to mention that we have to cross the straits) but we have no choice but to try and the Gods are surely on our side. Come on Ariston, be victorious!

2jcaj2d.jpg

It didn't work. On a positive note our army is fleeing to Lucania. Maybe we can regroup and quickly retake Tarentum and give Pyrrhus enough time to find Italy. Yes, we can do this. It may be a million to one chance but it could work, it could... work... Oh, Croton fell. Bummer.

14v5gu9.jpg

Maybe Rome will accept Ager Bruttius and tribute? No? You want to annex us. Well can't do anything about that. Well is that not just great. Beaten by Rome, though not the last ones to suffer that fate. And our "ally" Pyrrhus failed to realize that when you are asked to help someone it may be a good idea to do so and actually help them, don't go of on a silly vacation in Massilia. We were on the Road to Greatness. Sadly it was the Romans who were the ones heading towards Greatness, not us, we were just a minor obstacle in their way. Well at the very least we won one battle and lasted for 13 months. Not too bad considering what we faced.

I love short stories. :)

Well, at least your troops did their best to avoid the more or less inevitable. Hooray for the Greeks. Maybe you should play Epirus. :D

Well that's a lot longer than I lasted as Magna Graecia. Too bad, but it was interesting for the short time it lasted.

Strenghtens my opinion of Epirus and Pyrrhus.. That guy isn't even worth annexation.

Extremely surprising is that you actually won ANY battles, not to mention you didn't get your whole army killed when they need to fight while retreating (which happens to me 11 times of 10)

You should play with some older patch where you can't annex TPMs :p I managed to do pretty nicely in Rome 1.3 as Magna Graecia and I'm a bad player :D