• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Nikolai: It’s more a question of who decides rather than what. Don’t worry, that question will be answered in time.

@Emissary of the Prophets: Indeed, I have yet to enjoy B5. I’m nevertheless quite chuffed to have inadvertently quoted from the series. I’m glad Kosh approves and I hope that you do too!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lore! I know world and geography aren't yours, still very good to see it for the context. I like seeing some neat references there, or what I think are references anyway. Ruins of Sunbirth being opposite Umbura, which is probably Umbra/Shadowlands. Would be neat if Kaerunn was a reference to Faerûn, and then there's Bisançon that stands out to me, feels like it's possibly a Breton-inspired name, which is a bit different from the rest of the geographic lore.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@WPCSolver: Thanks! I’m glad it’s helpful. I do feel a little sense of ownership because this was a blank map of Athla from AoW3, and I added all the captions myself. I’d like to think there’s some significance behind some of the place names the devs selected. I know Sunbirth at least is a place that is supposed to have considerable significance in the lore. As for Bisançon, it’s just a one letter difference from Besançon, a real world city in Burgundy. The Commonwealth does have a few similarities to the Holy Roman Empire, albeit it’s not necessarily culturally German. It does hint at what has been long suspected in the franchise, that at least some of the Athlan humans originated on Earth.

Thanks for the invitation to read this very interesting fantasy story, @The Kingmaker .
Even for someone who is not playing the game, your style and the curation of the story you have fashioned here make this an easy and beguiling AAR. Fantasy has not been my genre for decades, but like Mead and Blood, I see the Tolkien influences in your work. (And yes, Tolkien can still be controversial and his importance debated in some circles, but he remains a favorite of mine.) Plus there are so many other cultural references alluded to here (whether intentional or not) that some of the interest is generated by finding the clever gems you've sprinkled throughout the storyline.
Sorry I missed this when it originally began, but I was new to the forums then and not really reading beyond the CKII area. It goes down so smoothly, it took me less than a week to catch up.
Really feel like you are still just setting the table here and establishing characters. Can't wait for you to really spool out your plot.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Chac1: Thanks very much for reading and commenting, as well as for your very kind words! Given that Merlin, Nimue, and others like them are characters in the Age of Wonders setting, it only made sense to me that even more characters from myth and legend would find a way into this world. I'm very glad you've picked up on some of the little Easter eggs I've planted throughout this so far. I find it makes it more fun both for the readers and for me as a writer. You are also correct that this is still just setting the table. "The Fields of Rebirth" is only the beginner scenario in AoW4, after all. There is much yet to come!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just had an idea for a comedic side story.
After Empire and Ashes map 2, Edward promises to lend his aid to Morgan's campaign if she takes him to New York, after examining some of her weapons and deducing she would have not invented them herself. Laryssa insist on going too to keep Edward from going off the deep ends again. Karissa decided to follow them due to her overactive perverted imagination.
After some time the three found Karissa passed out on the back of a Q train without any memory of how she got there.
Edward (Materium 100%): This is entirely within the realm of statistical possibilities.
Laryssa (Astral 100%): If this world is an illusion, perhaps you should not trust what you see, Karissa.
Morgan (Shadow 100%): Perhaps this world is some kind of shadow torment, yes, I should invite more of them here ;)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
1.6 - For Future Reference
BOOK ONE: THE FIELDS OF REBIRTH
CHAPTER SIX: FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

mjixY75.png

April 5, 2012
Cambridge, Earth

Her stylish leather rucksack slung over her shoulder, Morgan Penn-Drake couldn’t help but smile to herself as she strolled through the hallowed halls of the Bodleian Library, each shelf lined with some of the rarest books in the world. Several of the other international students in her cohort didn’t truly comprehend what a privilege it was to study here.

“How may I help you today, Miss?” asked the genteel, grey-haired man behind the main desk.

“Hi,” said Morgan, “I should have a book reserved? Under first name Morgan, last name P-E-N-N hyphen D-R-A-K-E.”

The librarian put on a pair of reading glasses and squinted at his computer screen. “Ah, here you are. And a Rhodes Scholar, no less! Quite impressive, Miss.”

“Thank you,” said Morgan, smiling politely.

“Now let’s see…” said the man, “Call number 1208.121. The Tome of Wonders. I’ll have to pull that volume out of special collections and fetch you some gloves, as it’s quite fragile.”

After a few minutes, he returned from the back with a heavy, leather-bound volume. "Here we are," he said, leading her to a reading room with a pristine white table and chairs.

“I’m sure I don’t need to remind you never to touch the book with your bare hands,” the librarian said sagely. He carefully placed the priceless tome on a simple wooden lectern.

loSqDz4.png

“Of course,” Morgan said, eager to get started.

“You have ninety minutes, Miss,” said the man, “At which time we will need to return this volume to its special temperature-controlled storage unit.”

“Understood,” said Morgan, pulling out her brand new iPad 3, “Is it okay if I take some pictures?”

“As long as you don’t use the flash.” The librarian gently closed the door behind him as he exited the room.

Barely able to contain her excitement at being allowed to personally handle such a rare specimen, Morgan opened the book to the title page and marveled at the large uncial characters.

Grimorus de mirabilibus,” she read on the first page, “Which is, being interpreted, the Tome of Wonders. An account of the signs and wonders wrought among the peoples of the world of Athla, and a compendium of the most potent spells, true names, and words of power by which this world was formed and governed.”

Fascinating, but bizarre. Where exactly was this Athla supposed to be? Was this text some kind of esoteric cosmogony?

“Written by the hand of the Archon Gabriel,” she continued to read, “High Councilor of the Circle of Evermore.”

Morgan’s brow furrowed. More oblique references to things she’d never heard of. The next inscription was written in a much more refined, flowing script. “Also the chronicles and noble lineage of the Verdant Court as abridged by Julia of House Inioch.”

Morgan wasn’t sure whether to feel intrigued or bemused. She wasn’t sure what she had expected to find. Despite being a very well-read literature enthusiast, she had never experienced anything quite like this before.

“Also the words of Merlin the Prophet, written in his own hand. Let she who has eyes to see behold with wisdom and understanding.”

Drawn to the last inscription, Morgan gently ran her gloved fingers over the words. It was written in a barely legible scrawl, but she found it strangely compelling. Out of curiosity, she skipped ahead several dozen pages until she found a page with a pair of discerning eyes scribbled in the upper corner. It was some kind of incantation entitled “Piscis Aureus.”

“Two dulcimas,” she read, “Raised to the degree of forty half-dulcimas, divided into equal parts by the third of a cackle of grouse geese, put over the result of ten finemackels (albeit small finemackels), stretched over the total of fifty-three and an eighth bottles of wildebeest lard, yields a gilded minnow of precise measurements; two hundred and sixty-nine centidrils by three million twenty-three punds (not punts, as might be expected)…”

Well, that was certainly scintillating reading. Perhaps it had been a mistake to request this book after all. Morgan released a colossal yawn, unable to suppress it any longer. Then she noticed some tiny marginalia written at the bottom in crimson ink: “Seriously? All this for a gilded minnow? If only this drivel revealed something more valuable.”

There was something familiar about the handwriting but Morgan couldn’t quite place it. She pondered what she had read for a moment. Then, on a hunch, she began to gently thumb through the remaining pages. After searching for several minutes, her hunch proved correct when she found something in the middle of the strange chronicle referenced on the title page. Near the top of one page, someone had painted a beautiful little golden fish.

“Aha!” thought Morgan as she began to read the page’s contents.

“Then the Athlans slew my father, King Inioch,” she began to read, “They burned his court and laid waste to his holdings in the Valley of Wonders. My brother was left for dead as our people fled to the four winds. The menfolk left our lands so desolate that there was hardly a blade of grass that went unsinged. Yet my mother vowed that our people would return to our homeland one day, just as a rabbit may safely emerge from its hole following a forest fire.”

That account certainly sounded ominous. But what did any of that mean? Suspecting that she was now following something akin to a trail of breadcrumbs, Morgan continued to gingerly skim through the tome page by page.

Finally, about three-quarters of the way through the book, she stopped when a small flourish in the margins caught her eye: in the midst of a long panoply of various animals, she spied a little white rabbit peeking out of its hole. The rest of the page contained an elaborate caption written in fine gilt letters and a resplendent illustration of a stone edifice with a golden dome.

5C8wbCR.png

“The hidden temple complex of the Godir lies forgotten by time,” the passage began, “Herein did the Archons once worship the Allfather. However, the light that aided the masses in connecting with the divine has long since been extinguished. The voices of hierophants and choristers have fallen silent and whatever liturgies or rituals they once practiced are now truly mysteries lost to the ages. This site’s once grand halls now attract cultists and sinister entities seeking to awaken and twist its power. Yet hope remains, for overgrown and derelict though it may be, the earnest seeker of truth will find the Temple of Godir in the Fields of Rebirth, where many shall yet awaken from their darkest dreams.”

Morgan quickly captured an image of the page with her iPad. She wasn’t sure why, but something about the text she had just read felt urgent, like there was someplace she needed to be or something she needed to do, but had somehow forgotten. She hurriedly stuffed her things into her bag, pulled off the soft white gloves, and headed for the door.

“Finished already, Miss?” asked the librarian as she hurried by his desk.

“Yes, actually,” she responded, “And thank you again. You’ve been extremely helpful, but if you’ll please excuse me, I’ve just remembered that there’s somewhere I need to be.” Even though Morgan couldn't remember where she needed to be, she could feel a very palpable sense of urgency.

“Certainly, I understand,” said the man, rising to his feet as she hurried by, “Oh, and one more thing, Miss–”

"Yes?" Morgan turned and glanced at him over her shoulder.

“Good luck, Lady Morgana,” he said with a knowing smile.

O274Fmp.jpg

***​

13 Blōtmonth, FA 21
Caer Eluned, Athla

Morgana Pendragon sat bolt upright in bed, her eyes wide, the dream still lingering in her mind as vivid and bright as the sun at midday.

“Chamberlain!” she called, shoving aside her bolster and throwing on her gown, “Send for Knight-Constable Breunor! It’s urgent!”

***​

Author’s Note: The passage about the Temple of the Godir began with a much shorter in-game blurb which I have expanded for emphasis. The boring passage about the "gilded minnow" was included as an homage to one of my favorite games from 30 years ago. Bonus points for anyone who knows the reference. Thank you all for continuing to read and support Omentide!

wYT8rMr.png

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Who is this mysterious caretaker back in 2012? Did it happen back then? Or is it happening right now, through time an space?

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@Nikolai: <whistles> Maybe? As always, thanks for reading!

@Emissary of the Prophets: Great callout. This has been rectified! Also glad someone recognized our kindly librarian. Now where have we seen him before? ;)

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
And just as I catch up with the narrative, a new chapter arrives, but it is a welcome sight. Interesting and unexpected developments....

Did it happen back then? Or is it happening right now, through time an space?
@Nikolai: <whistles> Maybe? As always, thanks for reading!
Of course, our friendly narrator isn't going to give away that answer easily.
But doesn't "magick" allow the bending of the time-space continuum? Given we don't know the real boundaries of magic in this universe yet, it seems anything is possible.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Emissary of the Prophets: Great callout. This has been rectified! Also glad someone recognized our kindly librarian. Now where have we seen him before? ;)
He’s in the OP chapter. The Watcher, right? Totally not a reference to mine I bet. Now, where is The Creature?;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
@Chac1: Indeed, let’s just say the space-time continuum is not necessarily a linear thing.

@Nikolai: He’s had many names and titles, of which ”Watcher” is merely one. I think we’ve discussed this before, but I wanted to tie that character to the biblical ‘î-rîn a little bit. It’s an intriguing concept. As for creatures, we’ve already seen several and will soon see many more. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then she noticed some tiny marginalia written at the bottom in crimson ink: “Seriously? All this for a gilded minnow? If only this drivel revealed something more valuable.”
Hey now, someone found that gilded minnow valuable... once.

The librarian seems the most suspicious part of the whole sequence. While @Nikolai wonders about time and space, I am of the theory that the library visit we've just witnessed happened entirely in Morgana's head. (but that does not mean it is not real, of course)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@Macavity116: Thanks for reading and commenting! What I'm curious to know is who wrote that critical note in the margins, and for what purpose? I expect we'll see that mysterious gentleman again. It's definitely possible that it was some kind of visionary dream happening purely in Morgana's mind. Or maybe that fellow is a time traveler who went back to make sure Morgan Penn-Drake had that experience in 2012 only after it became expedient? And for that matter, was Morgana's life as Morgan Penn-Drake only in her mind, or did it actually take place on modern 21st century Earth? Can both be true at the same time? Lots of questions remain to be answered. :D

Reactions:
I'm going for Dream Vision as that is far simpler than the alternatives. Anything involving time travel either becomes a mess of contradictions and paradoxes, or has to remain infuriatingly vague so you don't have enough detail to see how much of a mess it is. So for that reason I would much prefer dream visions.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@El Pip: It is a much more straightforward approach, and she clearly had no memory of the event until after the dream. So a visionary dream does seem more likely. That being said, the Astral Void is probably also a mess of paradoxes and contradictions… ;)

Reactions: