• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(51967)

Lt. General
Dec 23, 2005
Olympians, we stand forever!

pinakassmall6qj.jpg

It was one of the days that 'shook the world'... and continued to for years. It would be October the 2nd... The last of the great wars... at least for now.

There are stories from all over the world of where people where when they found out it began. Some asleep, some at home, however in Athens it was made clear everyone knew. The ELAS communist militias had been plaguing the Greek transitional government for over a year. Naturally there was a vacuum when the German's great implosion, and Greece had been damaged severly from it. "There would be no Monarchy... only almighty god"- were the words of Archbishop Damaskinos as he proclaimed yet another in the line of the Greek Republics. He and General Plastiras had together set up an inticate balance. Between them they "...administered for the plights of the people, and the loyalty of arms to protect them from communism". It was perhaps more being a man of the cloth that drove many of the young greeks to the communist's arms.

It was sometime during the earliest hours of morning when the news arrived to anyone awake who would hear it... Such news takes little time to travel, whether by marathon, horse, telegram, radio, phone or even the ringing of every single church bell in athens, combined with the explosion and ratatatat's of machine guns to spread such messages. The war had begun, the war from within and the war from outside.

Both Damaskinos and Plastiras were wide awake at the first whisper of the word soviet. Usually the red swarm seemed to rush quickest to the cheeks of their faces, but not today. They may have lived at opposite ends of the city but they broke all laws of physics to get to Hellenic Parliament building.

"What do we do?"
"If i knew i'd tell you"
"Well... like... d.. didn't you prepare for this"
"How the hell am i supposed to prepare for an invasion when we're teetering on civil war!"
"You're the military man, i'm the man of the cloth. You do your job and i do mine and that was how we've been going at it for at least a year now.. and you're telling me we're not prepared for another war"
"Look... If i wanted to i could even barely try to defend this country... we have barely any military at all and those that we do have are too poorly placed to have any effect"
"So what do you want me to do..."
"... If i knew i'd tell you"
"So what's the plan"
"... Get me the map there Alexandros"
gre000xy2.jpg

"We can't defend anything behind the Red Line. We probably won't defend behind the blue line"
"You have got to be joking me... we're leaving over half a million people to be engulfed by the soviets?"
"What do you want me to do... we have outdated equipment and bulgaria has a larger army than us"
"Well what about Turkey can't they help"
"Bah.. they're looking just as ready to collapse as we are.. hopefully they can hold onto the other shore... Istanbul's already gone Archbishop... So are our northern forts... we have nothing"
"... Then... The commonwealth... America... France... we have something We Must Have Something"
"We have solice that moscow is destroyed... but i fear athens holds the same fate in the long run"
gre001wy6.jpg

So yeah, Doomsday AAR, as Greece. I can hold out hopefully, but i doubt it. Normal/Furious. Yeah i usually write in a dialogue style if you hadn't noticed, i'll probably do narrative sections but for the most part it will be the fretting of the Archbishop and the General. Probably less absurd than Li Zongren.

Omg ,, first post and 2 nukes already.. :eek:
I hope theres gona be something to hold out against :rofl:

Consider my subscribed

Nice, a doomsday scenario AAR. Hope you avoid defeat.

Good luck, but I remember the last one didn't last too long...

Good luck, you seem to need it :D

This looks a little more serious than your usual offerings. I am as interested to see you write this as I am to see the outcome. So far very good start, you already have me on the edge of my seat.

grayghost said:
This looks a little more serious than your usual offerings...
Yes I am not used to seriousness from you Tribolute. Good luck surviving the onslaught of the Red Army.

Nerfgen: It's the standard Doomsday scenario that comes with HoI2:Doomsday. The allies have an IC advantage but almost no troops available. Nearby there's at least 30 divisions in yugoslavia/albania/bulgaria. Compared to my 9. Then again most are diverted into Turkey. Also the nukes are already en route at scenario start.

Thanks for support... it'll be interesting at least to see what may come of this.

Chapter One: Part One: The Fire in the sky falls to the ground

Damaskinos was wide awake, Plastiros too.. in fact anyone in europe was wide awake. To have war declared upon you while you were sleeping would be enough to wake up most. Knowing you are about to eliminated sucks the eyes from your sockets. You might even crap your pants if you're luxembourg and the enemy has tanks.

Not to say that nobody in Athens knew this day was coming. Somehow... the most rag-tag group of small-time communist groups had been able to keep a secret. They had their orders too... Disrupt and Distract. Public dissent was already high in greece, 10%. A managable level, but significant. ELAS had long given Greece trouble... and it was a popular movement... they stood up to the 'imperialist british scum' who dared try and bring back the king and shot at unarmed civilians!

acelaseq2.jpg

An ELAS soldier carrying his machine gun and a few kilograms of hair.​

Insurgency throughout modern history has never been difficult. All manners of explosives can be obtained and set up easily by men who would otherwise not know how to bake a cake. With a "bon appetite" another explosion ripped through the greek capital. Not that there was anyone else left to wake up.

Damaskinos: "What was that this time"
Plastiras: "Like it matters... they do it every now and then"
Damaskinos: "Of course it matters... Everything matters now"
Plastiras: "Well how about you just sit back and wait for someone to give you a call"
Damaskinos: "This isn't america there isn't a telephone attached to every surface"
The phone rings... again... again
Plastiras: "Well answer it"
again... again...
Damaskinos: "Yes... Crap... How bad... You can't be... how... biggerproblemsrightnow soo piss off"
Plastiras: "So what was it this time... they didn't hit the shoe factory... dear god let it not be the shoe factory again"
Damaskinos: "Nono it wasn't just petty vandalism, they had a plan this time... they hit the canning plant that supplies our armies"
Plastiras: "... So we're dead in the water as far as actually having ANY resistance to the soviets at all? marvellous"
Damaskinos: "No it's not that bad... we've got a while's supply... somebody here planned for a war at least... but i'm going to hire someone else to deal with these sabotages.."
Plastiras: "So do it.. and bring everyone else in the ministry in here.. need something done soon"
gre002cy1.jpg

Damaskinos: "Good morning Gentlemen... i don't think any of you have any doubts about why you're here.. But you know what you have to do... so do it.. NOW"
All the ministers in the room flinched... the eyes of Damaskinos at every word opened up larger and shot forth white flames from the whites of his eyes, which grew larger as his eyelids receded into his head. It was also more the shock... Although usually irritated, Damaskinos had never before seemed so... aggressive to the inner circle
The next few minutes were orders barked from Damaskinos to the rest of the upper ministers. Plastiras for once, sat back and the beast roar.
Papandreou: "Plastiras... say something.. you know the half of this is impossible to even attempt... put some sense into him"
Plastiras: "What do you want me to say... I have to leave for the front.. i'm the best general this country could ever have a hope for... The archbishop is in charge of everything here at home... Damaskinos is not the fool you give him credit for. And with his grace of god we might survive"
Maximos: "Don't you think the reactionaries will... well.. react to him?"
Damaskinos: "We don't have time to play tit for tat about giving a damn about who we have left... this is total war people... it's us against them"
Maximos "But... don't you think we'll be pushing some people to their side"
Damaskinos: "If they were going to go communist now, they were always going to be traitors... better the enemy you know"
Zervas: "Than the friend you dont..."
The bickering continued. The stress and the anxiety had boiled over. They weren't necessarily angry at each other, or at the least bit angry that the war was ill-planned. Perhaps it was some form of self-hatred exploding at anyone around. "How could i have not seen this coming"... "Why didn't i prepare"... "Why are we doomed..."
A few hours later plastiras was well on his way to Larissa in the fastest of cars... the ministers had long since stopped bickering but the tensions between them were still high.. A short argument evolved into the pool of budget spending for technology.
Damaskinos: "Hell if Papagos even gets to finish the project that will be the miracle for those damn cathlicks to pray to"
gre003hp9.jpg

The phone rang...
Damaskinos: "Oh just shut up...." Hours of being awake and drained mentally from the meetings had taken its toll.. Damaskinos had only been in war for 12 hours and had aged 12 years for it. Violently picking up the receiver...
Damaskinos: "What now"
Plastiras: "Sal... contact... sov..."
Damaskinos: "Say what... I ca.... I can't hear you.... Oh damnit just send a fucking telegram"
Luckily the rare and expensive technology was sturdy as it was slammed... the table however cracked under the pressure... not enough to make it fall but enough to know it was no longer ever refundable.
Damaskinos: "God i need a drink just tell me what that damn fool was trying to tell me later"
gre004kx3.jpg

Damaskinos had been entrenched in his liquor for the past day or so. Nobody had dared raise question to his authority, but rather tried to go around him for the next day. He was never too interested in the classic greek wines and beers.. No he was into the strong and imported spirits. The kind that would let him flutter by reports of 'reserve units' and 'industrial shortages' while the greek world and the bottle on the table disappeared before him.
gre005uz9.jpg

Last edited:
Man, depressing. But, then again, I guess end of the world stuff is supposed to be. What is your total ground force strength?

oh dear. I once tried Greece in the Doomsday scenario, wasn't a happy ending. good luck!

looks like a very "red" start of hostilities..

I hope the Damaskinos can pray hard enough for a miracle :eek:

If that was a real word, I would call that AAR the doomedest I've ever seen ;)

Anyways, I've always been fond of short stories... please keep it up !

Well at least you got an Archbishop as your leader ;) , may god be with you :p

Chapter 1-Part 2: From brandy to burden
Damaskinos awoke with a few grunts in his empty office. The bottle before him compeletly empty. The sun coming through the window behind him seemed to burn his back as well as his eyes as he grunted over and tore the curtains shut. As he collapsed into his chair with his head and body slumped towards the table surface his pupils strained to close themselves so he could even see. And he sat there for a few minutes eyes to the desk, mouth ajar, not really thinking but not meditative either. He got up, still slumped and woozy, and wincing from the throbbing pain in his head, and stormed out into the makeshift war room. Assisstants whizzed by with papers and messages around him, blurred to Damaskinos's world as he stared up at the Great Hellas covered in blue and red push pins.
gre006gu7.jpg

"So what now" His voice boomed, and everyone stopped and took notice that their leader had awashed himself from the bottle for now.
"Are you sure you're alrigh.."
"I'm Fine!" He snapped back "Just update me on what the hell is going on"
"Very well... we're pulling up a reserve motorised division soon with equipment given to us by the british but it'll take a few weeks to ge.."
"They'll be at athens gates in a few days Maximos.. we need to do better than that"
"I'll see if i can commit a few more factories to the job"
gre007gh6.jpg

"What factories do we even have left"
"We've lost a few, but we still have enough to keep our country running, as long as we can hold athens we won't starve"
The few days had not gotten any better, Istanbul, Kavala and Ionnia had fallen... all northern fortifications to be used in the case of war had already been taken before the main battles commenced.
gre008sw6.jpg

Since the first night however, after the arguments, nobody had even raised a question. Even if every agonising pin placed on the map was changed from blue to red that they weren't going to argue, just continue trying to stop it... somehow. Damaskinos had since re-energised himself with some tea.
"What are they waiting for"
"I know what you mean... they outnumber us but they seem to be waiting for reinforcements"
"What.. how many reinforcements"
"Canadian and British bombers have spotted at least 120,000 coming down from Stip.. and another 20,000 from Kavala"
"Holy crap"
"Indeed.. but we can't do anything.. we just have to wait for them"

At the front the waiting had ended however. Late morning on October the 12th, The Battle of Larissa had begun.
"Plastiras... the attack has started"
"I know.. i'm not deaf yet"
"Do you think we can hold them"
"... We can try.. that's all"

The soviet commander was no fool just yet. The battle plans he drew up were well planned. Even if he left his flank exposed at Ionnia he knew the greeks wouldn't be foolish enough to try and take it. They were overextended enough as it were. Armour from the north pushing down the coast, and a huge thrust through Trikala. The lake would be formidable, but he knew very well that if the Greeks weren't smart enough to retreat from that formidable they would be cut off and destroyed from behind. The ELAS would also be quite helpful.
gre009vw1.jpg

Things are not looking good, doesn't look like the is much you can do.