• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that ultimately, we will need a series of AI's for each major nation, and several minor nations. Each AI would be specific to a nation and situation. That is, the UK would have an AI for war with China, one for war in India, one for peace time, etc. This will create as dynamic an AI system as is possible. Of course this can (and should) be done in stages, as the more generic AI's proposed could work well for most situations, and new ones only need be created for problem situations.

unknown-X- said:
Work has begun on different AI's for England. I hope that by the time v0.2 is released there will be different AI files for every major conflict england encounters.

That would be good. Anything that makes things more dynamic is good.

Has there also been any discussion on having a different AI for different time periods in the game as well? This could be used to accurately work on the progress of colonization by different powers and also to accurately simulate the growth of a nations railroad system. This would be really important for the majors in the game since it seems odd seeing how built up the railroad system is in the US by the time of the civil war.

I'm not sure if this is possible but can the AI be scripted to tell the AI where to build a factory and of what type? It does seem odd that some US states (mainly less populated western states) have factories but a state like Missouri never seems to get a factory which also seems to determine if immagrants ever come in an area as well.

Has there also been any discussion on having a different AI for different time periods in the game as well?

I don't think that there have been alot of discussions about ai. But making AI for different periods is a highly needed, but VERY VERY VERY time demanding task. But nothing is impossible and i intend to work as hard as i can on these pesky ai files.

This could be used to accurately work on the progress of colonization by different powers and also to accurately simulate the growth of a nations railroad system. This would be really important for the majors in the game since it seems odd seeing how built up the railroad system is in the US by the time of the civil war.

Simulating actual industrialization of ai countries = crippling them beyond help - so it ain't gonna happen, because, this way human player would get too great advantage over AI.

I'm not sure if this is possible but can the AI be scripted to tell the AI where to build a factory and of what type? It does seem odd that some US states (mainly less populated western states) have factories but a state like Missouri never seems to get a factory which also seems to determine if immagrants ever come in an area as well.

No, ai can't be told where to build factories, but it can be directed to build sepcific type of factories.

Looking at the new files, i see that you have changed this to all the files:
Code:
technology = {
	preference = {

4202 = 4000
#######Basic Industry + FoT########
5001 = 3000  #Most important!
3301 = 2900 #Freedom of trade
5101 = 2800  #+5 machine parts
5002 = 2700
5201 = 2600

###Experimental Railroad###
5301 = 2500

###Improved Industry###
5401 = 2400  #Fertilizer
5102 = 2300 #+5 machine parts
5202 = 2200 #more sulphur + more coal !(EXTREME IMPORTANCE!)

###Basic economy###
3001 = 2100 #more income
3002 = 2000 #more income

###Early Railroad###
5302 = 1900

###Enhanced Industry###
5003 = 1800
5203 = 1700 #More iron!(IMPORTANT!)
5402 = 1600 #Basic medicine!

###Improved Economy###
3302 = 1500

###Iron Railroad###
5303 = 1400

###Advanced Industry###
5103 = 1300 #+10 machine parts
5004 = 1200
5204 = 1100

###Enhanced Economy###
3201 = 1000
3401 = 900
3003 = 800

###Steel Railroad###
5304 = 700

###Modern Industry + Economy###
3402 = 600
3403 = 500
5104 = 400
5403 = 350
5205 = 300 #More sulphur!(EXTREME IMPORTANCE!)
5404 = 250

###Integral rail system###
3102 = 200
3202 = 150
3004 = 100
5405 = 50
5305 =  25

}
	army 	= 	1.0
	navy 	= 	1.0
	commerce = 	1.0
	culture = 	1.0
	industry = 	1.0
}
Every AI has that... so, it is me or they are going to do EVERY TIME the SAME research path?
Isn't that a "bit" deterministic? ;)

Generalisimo said:
Looking at the new files, i see that you have changed this to all the files:

Every AI has that... so, it is me or they are going to do EVERY TIME the SAME research path?

Also I might ask if it doesn't kill the replayability of the game, cause it will narrow the options of the AI, it will be always a killer AI.

Generalisimo said:
Looking at the new files, i see that you have changed this to all the files...Every AI has that... so, it is me or they are going to do EVERY TIME the SAME research path?

It is just that you wanted to russh v0.11 out the door, i didn't have time to modify research preferences for all countries. Hope you know how much time it takes to test even the slightest change in that.
There is no need to panic!

Last edited:
unknown-X- said:
It is just that you wanted to russh v0.11 out the door, i didn't have time to modify research preferences for all countries. Hope you know how much time it takes to test even the slightest change in that.
There is no need to panic!
i was just asking, no panic here...
so, you are going to define different ones?

unknown-X- said:
New ones are already in use and have shown extremely good results!!!

Never should doubt you...and no one underestimates how much testing is involved in making changes to the AI :)

This is an event suggestion. The Monroe Doctrine was announced in 1823. 13 years before Vicky starts. I have not seen any evidence of its existence in the game...so i suggest, since it was such a major doctrine, that the following be implemented.

The USA starts with a defense alliance with all North and South American countries. It also has immediate gaurantees for all of these countries. When the UCA falls apart then and event should trigger with each new country that extends both the defensive alliance and the gaurantee to the new country.
Also there should be a relationship hit any time a colony transfers ownership in the western hemisphere. The country that receives the colony transfer should suffer like a hit for -50 relations. This would be for each colony or provinence. The US was commited to maintaining stability in the west and to keeping the European conflicts from her back yard. This was and is a severly important doctrine and diplomatic tool that was used in RL. It was one of the reason that Cuba was not taken over as an extension of the US after the Spanish/American war at the turn of the century.

I know this will be difficult and i am not a modder so i have no idea how to do this or i would already have posted a solution. Willing to learn but no one to teach me :D .

RCBricker said:
This is an event suggestion. The Monroe Doctrine was announced in 1823. 13 years before Vicky starts. I have not seen any evidence of its existence in the game...so i suggest, since it was such a major doctrine, that the following be implemented.

The USA starts with a defense alliance with all North and South American countries. It also has immediate gaurantees for all of these countries. When the UCA falls apart then and event should trigger with each new country that extends both the defensive alliance and the gaurantee to the new country.
Also there should be a relationship hit any time a colony transfers ownership in the western hemisphere. The country that receives the colony transfer should suffer like a hit for -50 relations. This would be for each colony or provinence. The US was commited to maintaining stability in the west and to keeping the European conflicts from her back yard. This was and is a severly important doctrine and diplomatic tool that was used in RL. It was one of the reason that Cuba was not taken over as an extension of the US after the Spanish/American war at the turn of the century.

I know this will be difficult and i am not a modder so i have no idea how to do this or i would already have posted a solution. Willing to learn but no one to teach me :D .
well, although it could sound "posible" in theory... i doubt that this is true... a lot of conflicts happened in South America and USA just looked at them... a lot of times great powers like France & UK threatened South American countries and USA did nothing... so i do not think this is a good idea... :(

Generalisimo said:
well, although it could sound "posible" in theory... i doubt that this is true... a lot of conflicts happened in South America and USA just looked at them... a lot of times great powers like France & UK threatened South American countries and USA did nothing... so i do not think this is a good idea... :(

Well I agree with Gen., at least in S.America, USA only used their influence in the WWII, the IXX century was a century influenced by UK and France. There was 3 big wars down here, and no interference from USA. And with the ACW, they weren't giving a damn to whom was at war or not.

A totaly unrealistic proposal. It's a HOI/CORE material.

RCBricker said:

Guess, there won't be any events, but i think that USA could be directed, to protect all american countries, through an ai file. But as i know almost nothing about situation in amerca during victoria period, i won't be prioritising ai design for Amercan countries, because i know i would get slapped by pimparel and other 101 American members from VIP project ;).

unknown-X- said:
Guess, there won't be any events, but i think that USA could be directed, to protect all american countries, through an ai file. But as i know almost nothing about situation in amerca during victoria period, i won't be prioritising ai design for Amercan countries, because i know i would get slapped by pimparel and other 101 American members from VIP project ;).

Man you are free to moddify it all you want, in fact you are welcome to do it, I know that we don't got the right foot early on, but it's not a situation that should be that way. The modification should however be within some constraints, like no colonizing for Brazil, Argentina outside America.

In fact, excluding Colombia, no S.A. country should have any insterest outside the continent.

pimparel said:
Man you are free to moddify it all you want, in fact you are welcome to do it, I know that we don't got the right foot early on, but it's not a situation that should be that way. The modification should however be within some constraints, like no colonizing for Brazil, Argentina outside America.

In fact, excluding Colombia, no S.A. country should have any insterest outside the continent.

I didn't mean any personal dislike or something similar(i think of the opposite, that you are one of the few modders whom work i really admire, because it includes AI modding :) ) i, it's just that i don't know the relations between the amreican countries, so i could really mess something up with general ai files. But i'm most happy to work on USA civil war ai's...

Ensuring that the nations of the Caribbean basin are in the "protect" section of US diplomatic AI makes sense - US does intervene regularly beginning in the 1850s when nations like Haiti, Dominican Republic and Venezuela run afould of European creditors, so there is some precedent. Would not make them formal alliances in any sense of the word, though.

unknown-X- said:
I didn't mean any personal dislike or something similar(i think of the opposite, that you are one of the few modders whom work i really admire, because it includes AI modding :) ) i, it's just that i don't know the relations between the amreican countries, so i could really mess something up with general ai files. But i'm most happy to work on USA civil war ai's...

That's already factored in the *.inc files, for starting relations, and in the combat, befriend, etc... in *.ai. But you are absoultely right S.A. AI is not an important matter, in historical terms, they didn't do anything really important in the timeframe.

There is a lot o things that has priorites, ACW, Crimean War, Franco-Prussian War, Italy Unification, Fall of UCA, USA vs Mexico, etc, etc...