• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I've made the Abbasid Revolt and those leading up to it. I came across this while thinking of a way to show the settlements of Berbers and Arabs in Iberia.

There is one other way that culture can change. In non-European provinces that contain colonial cities (1000-4999 pop), whenever nationalism ends, the colonial city's culture will change to the owner's primary state culture. This effect only works if the settlement culture is different from the base provincial culture. Note that nationalism usually lasts 30 years; you can see it via the increase in revolt risk. However, when a country gains ownership of one of its core provinces, nationalism ends immediately (and the culture changes if other conditions apply). Similarly in the case of a colonial city defection, there is no nationalism, and therefore there is immediate culture change.

Again, there are two very substantial limits on this effect: the colonial city must be non-European, and it must not match culture to the base provincial culture (which you can't see). Base provincial culture usually matches the settlement culture for settled provinces as they are in the Grand Campaign scenario. (A few exceptions exist, including the Canary Islands.) Thus, for example, China cannot easily expand into the Changatai Khanate and convert its many small cities into Han culture, because those cities are Mongol cities on provinces with Mongol base culture.

So I was thinking maybe we should use the continents? Atm we have Europe for all I think. But we have 5 in total and one of them is Europe where you can hire mercenaries.

Here are some more detail about it:

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu2wiki/index.php/Continents#General_Effects_of_Continents

I've read it all and I think it would be best if we make Arabia, Africa, Europe, Near East and Far East into 5 continents giving Arabia the European tag. The culture change only happens if we change the culture of a province (not in Europe tag(Arabia)) into something else than what is stated in the province.csv (This includes if culture changes are added in the scenario files)

Last edited:
ok, now I'm back too (actually back and not too busy) :)

Concerning the Continents, I think it is good as you proposed it. Have you tried it already how it works?

Concerning the resources, most of the map is already covered. The last regions that are not done yet are Indo-China, East Africa and Indonesia. Everything else is done :)

And I've had no free time recently to do anything for AU

Concerning the resources, most of the map is already covered. The last regions that are not done yet are Indo-China, East Africa and Indonesia. Everything else is done :)
Great news.

And I've had no free time recently to do anything for AU
I don't think that anyone around here is in a hurry. ;)

cool-toxic, are you aware that some shields are not displayed in the diplomatic map mode, as far as I have seen this happen in provinces 997 (Hordaland), 257 (Hum) and 258 (Travunia). There might be others as I am not done with my shields/flags sets yet. Any idea as to what might be causing it?

similar problem is with loadind/unloading ships in the Ionian sea... and the sea around Sicily

similar problem is with loadind/unloading ships in the Ionian sea... and the sea around Sicily
I just noticed that too, also ships seem to behave weirdly in the Ionian Sea and the Straits of Otranto, it could be tied to the map center... Hope this is fixable in the same way as the shields in the diplomatic screen... ;)

EDIT: looking at it some more, I'm not sure it's due to the edges of the map because the Gulfs of Tobruk and Sirta and the Cretan Sea seem to work normally.

Last edited:
I think the problem only happens if the centre of the province lies on the line, but this is just my speculation. I believe CT knows more :)