• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so... have they fixed the late game lag yet? I have put Stellaris on hold until it's fixed. Or are there at least any semiofficial mods to improve the situation?
In order:
1)No.
2) Well, yes, but it is band aid in case of traumatic amputation kind of fix. For example, there is mod, that halves pop number.

And whats new there? But you are only partly right. The main reason for the lag is, that the game cannot deal with an really high population amount. There are countless posts of frustrated players, which cannot really enjoy the game anymore, as the lags gets stronger and stronger in the same as the population grows. You can make the experient by yourself: make a game. Play until 2500. Then reload a game every 50 years. In my experience it was like this:
year 2300: one month (fastest) speed: 8 sec
2350: 14 sec
2400: 30 sec
2450: 100 sec (or so, i cannot find the list anymore and i am too lazy to make a new test run now)

At the beginning, you have like 30 population. At around 2450, you have several thousand population units. 150 worlds in my case.
And i am not the only player in my universe. All the other empires have to be calculated as well.
And all this units have to be calculated. The game cannot handle this. Its a bit strange, because really old games, (for example "Distant worlds") are able to deal with this. But not stellaris.

In all honesty, given current mainstream computing power of multicore processors (i7 and so on), juggling measly 5,000 pops should not be that brutal.
My friend coded a recursive script in Objective C for private advertising network server, that juggled tens of thousands instances per second to check who saw what ad and what ad should be displayed next, on live traffic over 20 million visits daily.
Worked like a charm with 1 server (but it was a freaking' powerful server, that being said).

My point is, Stellaris calculations are so much less complex, at least they should be? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fascinating... Could this be the root of my MP endgame troubles?

I had posted a thread earlier complaining about a multiplayer crash that I did not experience prior to 2.3; after 2.3, I’ve been experiencing this crash with stunning consistency. I also experienced a lot of desyncs since 2.3, whereas I can’t think of a single desync I’ve had in 2.2. My connection to my friends has always been questionable at the best of times, but it’s never caused problems on this level, let alone in such a consistent manner. Curiously enough, single player works just fine. There’s a lot of slowdown, don’t misunderstand, but I’m not crashing and can therefore usually finish a campaign – something that has been supremely important to me during my achievement hunting – and since I’m the only player, there’s no such thing as a “desync”.

I’m running macOS Mojave, by the way, on a late 2014 MacBook Pro, if that’s in any way relevant (it probably is).

Last edited:
Interesting, what if we completely abandon current system of buildings with various jobs and etc, and go for one simple approach: one building, one pop, one job?

Any ideas on what to do with districts then?

In all honesty, given current mainstream computing power of multicore processors (i7 and so on), juggling measly 5,000 pops should not be that brutal.
My friend coded a recursive script in Objective C for private advertising network server, that juggled tens of thousands instances per second to check who saw what ad and what ad should be displayed next, on live traffic over 20 million visits daily.
Worked like a charm with 1 server (but it was a freaking' powerful server, that being said).

My point is, Stellaris calculations are so much less complex, at least they should be? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that most, if not all video games are played using a single core to process it at any given time. The idea of using more than one core to process a game is pretty recent, and I don't know of any that have implemented it.

There's actually another game that is a bit of a victim of this single core limitation right now: StarCraft II. It wouldn't surprise me to find most strategy games suffer from it on some level. Then again, by their nature, strategy games, especially of the real-time variety that would include both StarCraft and Stellaris, probably take more processing power than any other genre. For most games, one core is all they need; for games like these, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that they may need more.

Where are the devs on this? How is this still an issue? All dlc development should stop until the game is actually playable in the long term

Where are the devs on this? How is this still an issue? All dlc development should stop until the game is actually playable in the long term
In order:

1) Have been on vacation, enjoying themselves. Now - not a single idea.

2) Simple - no public outrage to the scale of I:R release, so no reaction.

3) Yes, but fixing actual broken game doesn't bring money. New DLCs do. Functionality of that DLCs wasn't part of the deal.

So my game became legitimately unplayable. I'm at year 2743, nearly 17,700 pops, and when I open the planet screen the game drops from 60 FPS to 2 (actual number, not an exaggeration). and I have to spam the escape button for 30 seconds to get the window to close again. This problem is not unique to me, I found other posts on the steam forums about it. () nothing can be clicked on or changed. Basicly the UI is unresponsive unless you happen to click at the exact millisecond the refresh appears to be calculated. oh and of course keyboard input is ignored as well.

So my game became legitimately unplayable. I'm at year 2743, nearly 17,700 pops, and when I open the planet screen the game drops from 60 FPS to 2 (actual number, not an exaggeration). and I have to spam the escape button for 30 seconds to get the window to close again. This problem is not unique to me, I found other posts on the steam forums about it. () nothing can be clicked on or changed. Basicly the UI is unresponsive unless you happen to click at the exact millisecond the refresh appears to be calculated. oh and of course keyboard input is ignored as well.
Apparently I'm not allowed to post the link to the Steam forum post. Anyway, I'm not having problems with how long the turns take, even at this size it's only about 5 or so seconds a day. but the game literally becomes unresponsive opening the planet menu.

The problem is obvious.
Stellaris is faring worse than EUIV(even if we cut away last month player influx as new patch have been released), and even Crusader Kings II is getting close to Stellaris players per month(~10000 CKII vs ~14000 Stellaris).
Of course it could not reach top Paradox game - HoIIV, with its 26000 peak monthly players but it is losing players faster than any Paradox game, with Imperator being the obvious exception.
Players just lose interest in a game they could not finish due to abysmal lag and stuttering.
h65PctY.png

If only they could really adress the issue. Other than "we know there are performances issues and we are working on it".
I mean, they've been telling us the same thing (when not in complete radio silence) for the past patches, and the game kept getting worse and worse.
And it seems they have troubles to realise that adding new features and content keeps breaking the game, even the reworks do the same thing. Not to mention many of those aren't even close to working properly.
Or they completely realise it but as said by many others, fixing the game doesn't bring them instant money. While it would actually bring back many old players who would buy their new DLCs, if their game was working properly.
It is an absolute shame than modders are doing a better job than them at fixing the game.
When you need said mods in order to play, that's a giant red flag.
But heh, we'll see the PDXcon "big announcment" and what it brings. Though I'm terrified about it as I am more than certain it will be new game breaking features and that said game will get even worse than now. I'm probably at the very least half-wrong on this but let's just say they did nothing to calm our concerns, only legetimizing them further.
Wait&See I suppose. Hmm.

If only they could really adress the issue. Other than "we know there are performances issues and we are working on it".
I mean, they've been telling us the same thing (when not in complete radio silence) for the past patches, and the game kept getting worse and worse.
And it seems they have troubles to realise that adding new features and content keeps breaking the game, even the reworks do the same thing. Not to mention many of those aren't even close to working properly.
Or they completely realise it but as said by many others, fixing the game doesn't bring them instant money. While it would actually bring back many old players who would buy their new DLCs, if their game was working properly.
It is an absolute shame than modders are doing a better job than them at fixing the game.
When you need said mods in order to play, that's a giant red flag.
But heh, we'll see the PDXcon "big announcment" and what it brings. Though I'm terrified about it as I am more than certain it will be new game breaking features and that said game will get even worse than now. I'm probably at the very least half-wrong on this but let's just say they did nothing to calm our concerns, only legetimizing them further.
Wait&See I suppose. Hmm.
Well, comrades, I have one way to suggest: boycott of the game and every new DLC, combined with widespread discussions everywhere in the Internet about how the game is unplayable and not recommended to buy in current condition. Make the shitstorm at the release of I:R "not that bad" and maybe THAT would already give results.

I quit the game for a while because of issues after MegaCorp, and came back to it just this week. At first the issues seemed to have been fixed!

Then I hit 5000 pops, and... is this a joke?

I quit this game around a year or so ago, let me tell you, and I couldn't believe that there wasn't a huge outrage over the lag, or people kept playing the game without complaining about it, and then I noticed that most players don't even play on the fastest speed, which is why it took so long for the outrage to compile, if most players did play on fastest speed, they would have complained long ago, way before pops, a bit before and after wormhole stations were removed(the in between patches had fixed the lag for a while, and then it went fubar)

But I kept looking everywhere where is this magic potion that makes the game playable to all these players, the suggestions were awful, amputate your game so you can play it(specific settings, use mods, etc.) why bother? I might as well not play it, but even with trying those suggestions it never helped, it's like castrating yourself in ck2 because you got the flu.
It used to be able to be played till year 2900 fastest speed with lag of course but it was by far not THIS bad, it was amazingly fast early, good midgame, and tolerable late.

The one who posted the times per month, 8 sec for early game is HORRIBLE, even 4 secs would be terrible, early game should be lightning quick and that's how it was, go boot up a ck2 game and see how fast it goes, 2 years will pass before a min has passed.

And it's not just the population, the lag got worse with each dlc they added and this was before the pop overhaul that I quit, I tried it after and it was still the same.
Right from the get go the first 5 years are unbeareable, it lagged even more than when I did a slave conquest with the largest galaxy and habitable.
With every new dlc no matter how light it is, the lag gets exponentially worse.
I think there is NO FIX for this, which is why they don't talk about it, which is a huge shame because the game is amazing.

I quit this game around a year or so ago, let me tell you, and I couldn't believe that there wasn't a huge outrage over the lag, or people kept playing the game without complaining about it, and then I noticed that most players don't even play on the fastest speed, which is why it took so long for the outrage to compile, if most players did play on fastest speed, they would have complained long ago, way before pops, a bit before and after wormhole stations were removed(the in between patches had fixed the lag for a while, and then it went fubar)
Yeah, I don't get it too. PDX releases I:R and get themselves into the shitstorm, caused by people who weren't promised anything which was not delivered in the end. Sure, shallow game it was, so?

Same PDX breaks one of their main titles, making it unplayable, and noone en masse sees any problem here.

Last edited:
The developers should really make some kind of announcement. It would probably calm many people down, if they would just tell us what they are thinking about the problem, or if they even see it as a problem. Do the developers have any theories about the performance loss? Are they working on it? Do they have a plan about releasing a patch dealing with it?

Those of you having serious issues with lag, try the E.D.A.I mod and see if it improves performance for you. It helped quite a few people earlier in the thread.

Those of you having serious issues with lag, try the E.D.A.I mod and see if it improves performance for you. It helped quite a few people earlier in the thread.

Even if this helps a bit with the performance: Its not the job of modders to keep the performance stable in a game which is still in development. Its the same with the not working AI from the post 2.2 era. There are two major topics totally broken for nearly one year now. At this point PDX deserves to totally crash with this game. I dont mind it anymore. I am just a annoyed customer right now. If i had a chance i would refund Steallris. This is not the game i bought two years ago which was fun and engaging to play. Sure a game ages, but at this point the way PDX relaeses updates and DLC's is pretty good and a chance to keep the players ingame, but what happened in the last year is such crushing business behaviour that they dont deserve any further success with their sales until the problems are adressed and solved.

God dammit, the game is so good at its core though. I don't want to see it crash and burn or to wish failure on Paradox as some sort of schadenfreudic revenge for these problems, the reason I care is because I love the game and what I want is for the issues to be addressed so I can enjoy it more again.

I love playing with mods (Reals Space, cosmetics, More Events, etc) and YES, I know it adds more performances issues, still a shame though. And thus with E.D.A.I I probably should play without all of them, and I got so used to my game with my usual mods on it would make me real sad to do so. (Got no excuse on not trying though)
BUT, the issue is, as said above, its is NOT the modder's job to fix the game in stead of the developpers.
And a game should NEVER be supposed to be played with mods in order to make it playable.
At this point I'm a pissed off customer aswell, and would never recommend this broken game to anyone. I am, unfortunately, all in for the boycott.

Status
Not open for further replies.