• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Yurichenko

Captain
Sep 8, 2021
Don't you like the new portraits and clothes for humans?
Do you want to recover the appearance of your characters?
Do you want mod "x" to be useful again?

If you feel identified with any of these questions or for some other reason you want to recover the old appearance of the humans before the 3.4 update, we are here to help you!
Available now on Steam 3 mod to solve your problem!

This replaces the new human portraits of 3.4 for the old ones from 3.3

This adds the old 3.3 portraits as a separate set of portraits, but UNE and CoM still use the new ones.

Lastly, it adds the new 3.4 portraits as a separate set of portraits, but the UNE and CoM will revert to using the old pre-3.4 portraits.

Thanks to the author @Peko? for taking the work

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
What files exactly? The assets for the old humans are still there.

Reactions:
What files exactly? The assets for the old humans are still there.
I haven't got the new update yet so I'm not sure what the new update brings and what it doesn't, but in that case it would probably be the files that list the styles of portraits, hair and the whole of the species. Do old files keep their original names?

What you want to do is (and this is from memory) find the script which is somewhere in the gfx/interface/portraits folder and swap the code in the humans script for the old one. That should link everything to the originals if they are still in place and haven’t changed names.

Reactions:
What you want to do is (and this is from memory) find the script which is somewhere in the gfx/interface/portraits folder and swap the code in the humans script for the old one. That should link everything to the originals if they are still in place and haven’t changed names.
Exact. If it is the case that all portraits, clothes and hair have the same name, then just replace the script.

Don't you like the new portraits and clothes for humans?
Do you want to recover the appearance of your characters?
Do you want mod "x" to be useful again?

If you feel identified with any of these questions or for some other reason you want to recover the old appearance of the humans before the 3.4 update, I am here to help you!
Fortunately, I suspected that many would not be happy with the change due to some previous reactions and thanks to this I took the trouble to make a save of the local files regarding the set of human portraits.

I have no idea how to make mods so I only provide you with the original files. Just replace your local files with these. If anyone has experience making mods then take the trouble if you want to make this a mod.

(Right now I am away from home but in the afternoon I will upload the compressed files)
I personally like the new portraits, looks more fancier and less cartoony that the old ones.

• 1Haha
Reactions:

Should be "gfx/portraits/portraits/07_portraits_human.txt". It certainly looks like the old assets are there and not renamed.

Reactions:
Should be "gfx/portraits/portraits/07_portraits_human.txt". It certainly looks like the old assets are there and not renamed.
Not only that, it's hard to quote it from memory, but I think we should still check if the list of hairs wasn't replaced or the file that specifies what clothes to wear according to profession or type of character.
Can you check if the species is still using the same class_name for the entire species or if it was added as a new one?

Guys seriously someone had to cross out with an x for wanting to help the dissatisfied?! This is what happens when I try not to be xenophobic and I try to be xenophilic. (Just jokining)

Not only that, it's hard to quote it from memory, but I think we should still check if the list of hairs wasn't replaced or the file that specifies what clothes to wear according to profession or type of character.
Can you check if the species is still using the same class_name for the entire species or if it was added as a new one?
Looks like the hair and clothes asset selectors are still there.
Not sure what you mean by class_name. But it looks to me as if all the old assets and selectors and such are there under the human name and the new stuff is under new_human and the only thing that was changed was what is pointed to in 07_portraits_human.txt.

Reactions:
Looks like the hair and clothes asset selectors are still there.
Not sure what you mean by class_name. But it looks to me as if all the old assets and selectors and such are there under the human name and the new stuff is under new_human and the only thing that was changed was what is pointed to in 07_portraits_human.txt.
Sorry, class_name I think is better understood as "key" here in Stellaris. The fact that they are differentiated is a good thing, it may not be too complicated to add the old humans back in, even without giving up the new ones.
Could you check the status of the human_male_clothes.txt and human_female_clothes.txt files and confirm if new files with the prefix "new_" were also added?

Sorry, class_name I think is better understood as "key" here in Stellaris. The fact that they are differentiated is a good thing, it may not be too complicated to add the old humans back in, even without giving up the new ones.
Could you check the status of the human_male_clothes.txt and human_female_clothes.txt files and confirm if new files with the prefix "new_" were also added?
Without looking, I’d probably say yes.

For complete consistency, you’d also likely need to find the events related to the ‘Sol’ system to see if it’s pointing to ‘human’ or ‘new_human’ and change accordingly to avoid new humans appearing on Earth with the old portraits, and to ensure human random species aren’t spawned elsewhere in the galaxy (as well maintain UNE / CoM portraits)

Yeah, there are the old files and new ones with the new_ prefix.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It all depends on the following:
Commons/species_classes/00_species_classes.txt (I'm not sure about the latter, there may be one specifically for humanoid species).
In this file, the key of the human species defined among the list of available humanoid species must be defined. The species key is defined in "gfx/portraits/portraits/07_portraits_human.txt" so if they use the same species key, just replace 07_portraits_human.txt with the old one, assuming the files for the clothing sets originals are also found.

Yeah, there are the old files and new ones with the new_ prefix.
that's perfect, in this case, just replace the 07_portraits_human.txt file with the old one and problem solved.
In case you want to keep both sets, just rename the current file to "07_portraits_new_human.txt". Then modify the key of the species within this file so that it does not coincide with the old one and finally go to common/species_classes/... and modify the file where the humanoid species are defined and add the new key next to the human one.

So I did a little test mod. Replacing 07_portraits_human.txt was almost enough. For some reason the male part of _human_portrait_entities.asset was commented out, once that was reverted it seems to work. I haven't tested it thoroughly or anything but the leader screen in Empire creation worked and starting a game as CoM and both Leaders and Pop portraits work.

For complete consistency, you’d also likely need to find the events related to the ‘Sol’ system to see if it’s pointing to ‘human’ or ‘new_human’ and change accordingly to avoid new humans appearing on Earth with the old portraits, and to ensure human random species aren’t spawned elsewhere in the galaxy (as well maintain UNE / CoM portraits)
I think it's unlikely that they'd point events at the specific assets rather than the portrait, I'm not even sure it's possible. Anything that pointed to the human portraits before should still do so it just loads different assets.

Attachments

• Old Humans.zip
    14,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
it should look something like this
IMG_20220513_105848.jpg

So I did a little test mod. Replacing 07_portraits_human.txt was almost enough. For some reason the male part of _human_portrait_entities.asset was commented out, once that was reverted it seems to work. I haven't tested it thoroughly or anything but the leader screen in Empire creation worked and starting a game as CoM and both Leaders and Pop portraits work.

I think it's unlikely that they'd point events at the specific assets rather than the portrait, I'm not even sure it's possible. Anything that pointed to the human portraits before should still do so it just loads different assets.
in any case, I will give you the original 07_portraits_human.txt file to avoid any possible errors.