• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stars2heaven

Major
39 Badges
Aug 17, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
I tried searching for it and couldn't find it. I then thought I'd eventually figure it out after seeing it used enough times. Couple months down the road and I still have no idea what it stands for. Please help me...

The whole forums should definitely include a glossary. All the acronyms and gaming neologisms can be overwhelming for newcomers.
I say a moderator should make a sticky thread that shows up on each board to explain terms like "gamey," acronyms like WAD or SoI (both sphere of influence in EUIII and Crusader Kings II:Sword of Islam), and should even explain the difference between bugs and glitches and other more technical terms.

this forum is the first time i have heard of this "working as designed"
usually people in the other forums i have been to have said
"working as intended"

Yeah this community uses "working as designed" instead of "working as intended" like everywhere else does. Sort of like how they call Let's Plays "After Action Reports."

Although I'm also pretty sure this community used those terms before their out-of-community counterparts even really existed anywhere else.

Yeah this community uses "working as designed" instead of "working as intended" like everywhere else does. Sort of like how they call Let's Plays "After Action Reports."

Although I'm also pretty sure this community used those terms before their out-of-community counterparts even really existed anywhere else.

Pretty sure WAI is much older than the use of WAD here, but I think AAR may be older than LP.

aka "we just didn't get it to work right, so we just left it in as it was"

In software development you in some cases need to make the call to leave it as is even if it is not the solution would have liked to build. Otherwise you will never finish your project. And this is true even when you have no budget constraints.

I'm pretty sure "After Action Report" has been around in the strategy community for a while; "Let's Play" is more recent, and is usually in the form of a video. An AAR is also usually in-character, which a Let's Play usually isn't.

(Let's Plays also tend to be dreadfully boring, but that's another matter.)

Haha, OP made me laugh. Sort of a "smile and nod" type of thing. I didn't know what WAD meant for a long time either.

That they are, I just don't get the phenomenon.

I'm pretty sure "After Action Report" has been around in the strategy community for a while; "Let's Play" is more recent, and is usually in the form of a video. An AAR is also usually in-character, which a Let's Play usually isn't.

Aren't AARs something real from the military? Like extended debriefings and analyses?