Oil and Coal for power plants (specialized industry vs Industries DLC)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fox_NS_CAN

Field Marshal
1 Badges
Oct 26, 2016
  • Major Wiki Contributor
There was an edit on the wiki saying only oil from oil specialized industry could supply an oil power plant, not oil from an "Industries" DLC oil area. (And speculation that it would be true of Ore (coal for coal power plants) as well.)

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

not true as far as i know. i don't remember hearing anything about this changing and i have a good memory.

Reactions:
Afaik, the raw products (Ore, Oil, Crops, Wood) do not distinguish between Industries DLC and zoned industry specialization.
The differences are
  • advanced products (e.g. Metal, Plastics, Animal Products, ..) can only come from DLC processor buildings and cannot be imported. However, these can be used by unique factories as well as generic industry.
  • zoned specialized goods (what the zoned specialized industry produces from raw goods) can only be used by generic industry. Can be imported.
It should be easy enough to set up a test for this, though.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I believe the edit is based on this lengthy Steam forum thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/3053985636031697290/

One user found that the DLC oil industry never supplied an oil power plant with raw oil or special goods. The only thing it got supplied with was processed oil products from zoned industry.
well if it's happening it's a bug as i remember them saying this would happen during one of their weekly streams that they had at the time

I was part of the discussion on Steam mentioned above. The confusion came about because the Wiki says the power plants consume "unprocessed" oil and ore, which most people have apparently assumed meant pure, extraction level "oil" and "coal".

After several of us did numerous tests, it appeared that the only commodity delivered to power plants (per the trucks doing the delivering) was "oil products" or "ore products" from imports, recycling plants, or Zoned (Specialized) Oil / Ore District processors.

Trucks from DLC Industries Oil / Ore Areas, carrying "oil" and "coal" from extraction points NEVER delivered to Power Plants. They would, however, deliver to a Zoned Oil / Ore District which in turn, would send "oil / ore products" to the Power Plants.

Additionally, DLC Warehouses, holding "Zoned Industry Oil / Ore Products" WOULD deliver the "products" to the Power Plants, but Industries DLC storage facilities, such as the Crude Oil Tank Farm, which hold primary level extraction resources (i.e. "unprocessed oil and coal"), would NOT deliver to the Power Plants.

This is sort of consistent with the Wiki saying "Further supplies of oil and coal [for the power plants] can be produced by the appropriate regions of specialized industry" Again, though, not clear because the trucks from the Zoned Specialized Industry Areas say they're carrying "oil / ore products", not the oil or coal that the power plants supposedly consume.

Thus the confusion when the Wiki says the power plants "consume" unprocessed oil or coal -- no truck actually says it is delivering that commodity.

The "oil / coal" vs." oil / ore products" discussion may just be a question of semantics. But our testing indicated that from the Industries DLC Oil / Ore Areas, no trucks delivered to power plants from either extraction level facilities or from storage facilities.

Happy to be proven incorrect or to have this clarified further by someone more knowledgable.

Reactions:
Yeah, it would make sense to always import zoned oil as it is free, while industries DLC's oil has value. Maybe in an emergency, the industries DLC may go to a power plant. but it would be hard to prove without isolating everything.

Myself, I just use power plants that don't rely on any sources. I use nuclear power almost exclusively.

I was part of the discussion on Steam mentioned above. The confusion came about because the Wiki says the power plants consume "unprocessed" oil and ore, which most people have apparently assumed meant pure, extraction level "oil" and "coal".

After several of us did numerous tests, it appeared that the only commodity delivered to power plants (per the trucks doing the delivering) was "oil products" or "ore products" from imports, recycling plants, or Zoned (Specialized) Oil / Ore District processors.

Trucks from DLC Industries Oil / Ore Areas, carrying "oil" and "coal" from extraction points NEVER delivered to Power Plants. They would, however, deliver to a Zoned Oil / Ore District which in turn, would send "oil / ore products" to the Power Plants.

Additionally, DLC Warehouses, holding "Zoned Industry Oil / Ore Products" WOULD deliver the "products" to the Power Plants, but Industries DLC storage facilities, such as the Crude Oil Tank Farm, which hold primary level extraction resources (i.e. "unprocessed oil and coal"), would NOT deliver to the Power Plants.

This is sort of consistent with the Wiki saying "Further supplies of oil and coal [for the power plants] can be produced by the appropriate regions of specialized industry" Again, though, not clear because the trucks from the Zoned Specialized Industry Areas say they're carrying "oil / ore products", not the oil or coal that the power plants supposedly consume.

Thus the confusion when the Wiki says the power plants "consume" unprocessed oil or coal -- no truck actually says it is delivering that commodity.

The "oil / coal" vs." oil / ore products" discussion may just be a question of semantics. But our testing indicated that from the Industries DLC Oil / Ore Areas, no trucks delivered to power plants from either extraction level facilities or from storage facilities.

Happy to be proven incorrect or to have this clarified further by someone more knowledgable.

I can confirm this. Power plants do not use the raw resource, they use the processed ones. So a city with purely Industries DLC industry would need to import oil/ore products for the power plants.

Reactions: