• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(54517)

Sock puppet
Mar 4, 2006
This is not how I wanted to start my first post on the D.H. forum, but I'm left with no choice.

How long have I waited for a 'new' Space flight sim, even after the Tarr Chronicles (which I enjoyed - I came into the game late, so all the patches had already been released)

But here I find myself wondering what has gone wrong from all the hype surrounding this game to it finally coming out only to find not only day 1 bugs (crashes and memory leaks) but EVEN after it was promoted in having joystick support, I almost thought the way they were selling it, it was in direct relation to the fact the last space sim to come out (Spaceforce - Rogue Universe) totally cocked-up ITS joystick support!

Giving Spaceforce a chance and wanting to play it! I gave up waiting for any updates to fix the joystick issues (Still bloody crashes at random times when jumping between systems!!!!) and returned to play it with the mouse, I don't hate having to use the keyboard and the mouse, its just a shame when I have an X52 Pro sitting there in front of me all lit up (prefer gaming in the dark) with the endless customisable options known to man and I can't use it!

I do hope the devs will get a grip of the situation and get these issues sorted as its been said elsewhere on here, this sort of thing isn't helping the genre making a comeback and destroys our trust in games and developers that do games like this, remember we are the DIE HARD fans of the genre, we WANT it to make a comeback.

I always thought not only do you need joystick support but also forcefeed back, but over the years that died out as the better joysticks never bothered with FF, just look at the X52 Pro, in the end, I'd rather have more options with a dedicated throttle and stick with multiple buttons :rolleyes: than purely FF.

My only hope now for a space sim has to be with X3 Terran Conflict, which is out in 10-17 days time. One thing though, even they have opted for a mouse approach, so prehaps we have it wrong, maybe even the joystick has had its day?

All in all, there are 2 clear types of space sims (which I enjoy equally) the 'story' mission driven games (Wing Commander, Freespace, Tarr Chronicles and Dark Horizon) and the 'story/freeform' with RPG elements (Elite/Frontier, Freelancer, Darkstar One, X2 & X3) but for all you enthusiasts out there, have a look at an indie game I found by pure accident, most of you will already know about it - Evochron Renegades - absolutley class! it has everything and not bad for £14, check it out at http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm

Regards

Last edited:
I must say that this is the biggest dissappointment I have seen in a game in a long time. In its current state it is unplayable for me. I find myself wishing I bought the box version rather than the digital download. Atleast then I could take the game back to the store for a refund.

Cyclonus said:
This is not how I wanted to start my first post on the D.H. forum, but I'm left with no choice.

How long have I waited for a 'new' Space flight sim, even after the Tarr Chronicles (which I enjoyed - I came into the game late, so all the patches had already been released)

But here I find myself wondering what has gone wrong from all the hype surrounding this game to it finally coming out only to find not only day 1 bugs (crashes and memory leaks) but EVEN after it was promoted in having joystick support, I almost thought the way they were selling it, it was in direct relation to the fact the last space sim to come out (Spaceforce - Rogue Universe) totally cocked-up ITS joystick support!

Giving Spaceforce a chance and wanting to play it! I gave up waiting for any updates to fix the joystick issues (Still bloody crashes at random times when jumping between systems!!!!) and returned to play it with the mouse, I don't hate having to use the keyboard and the mouse, its just a shame when I have an X52 Pro sitting there in front of me all lit up (prefer gaming in the dark) with the endless customisable options known to man and I can't use it!

I do hope the devs will get a grip of the situation and get these issues sorted as its been said elsewhere on here, this sort of thing isn't helping the genre making a comeback and destroys our trust in games and developers that do games like this, remember we are the DIE HARD fans of the genre, we WANT it to make a comeback.

I always thought not only do you need joystick support but also forcefeed back, but over the years that died out as the better joysticks never bothered with FF, just look at the X52 Pro, in the end, I'd rather have more options with a dedicated throttle and stick with multiple buttons :rolleyes: than purely FF.

My only hope now for a space sim has to be with X3 Terran Conflict, which is out in 10-17 days time. One thing though, even they have opted for a mouse approach, so prehaps we have it wrong, maybe even the joystick has had its day?

All in all, there are 2 clear types of space sims (which I enjoy equally) the 'story' mission driven games (Wing Commander, Freespace, Tarr Chronicles and Dark Horizon) and the 'story/freeform' with RPG elements (Elite/Frontier, Freelancer, Darkstar One, X2 & X3) but for all you enthusiasts out there, have a look at an indie game I found by pure accident, most of you will already know about it - Evochron Renegades - absolutley class! it has everything and not bad for £14, check it out at http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm

Regards

Oh, man, thanks you for your comprehensive call to DH developers. We will do all possible to make our hard fans to be happy with their alternative game controls. We can contact to you personaly to disccuss details on things that you want to see in the game for joystick and make changes for major patch. Are you in? ;)

Timur Lazarenko said:
Oh, man, thanks you for your comprehensive call to DH developers. We will do all possible to make our hard fans to be happy with their alternative game controls. We can contact to you personaly to disccuss details on things that you want to see in the game for joystick and make changes for major patch. Are you in? ;)

Just got in from work and checked the forums....Absolutley! I would be more than happy to assist in any way.

If there is anything you would like to discuss please contact me (rather than give out my email address here, if you could give me a way to contact you at your end first I'd be more than happy) :D

I'd also like to add I have been playing computer games since the early 80's and have enjoyed many different platforms and have always been into simulators (since they have died out, this has been replaced with FPS games).

Still, the lure of either 'military' or space themed sims (Why did they cancel the Babylon 5 sim all those years ago!!!???) have always been a massive draw for me and think I would have some valid ideas to which you could bring to Dark Horizon if at all possible. I know you will get it sorted, I for one totally enjoyed what you did with the Tarr Chronicles, keep the faith!

Many thanks! :rofl:

Cyclonus said:
If there is anything you would like to discuss please contact me (rather than give out my email address here, if you could give me a way to contact you at your end first I'd be more than happy) :D

He gave out his email address in another thread here:
We have to appologize to our genre fans. Huge thanks you everone for comprehensive criticts about problems with proper joysitck support in our game. We will do all possible to make these things better. If someone really want to help by serious discuss with developers about things they want to see in the game alternative controls, write here please contact@quazar-studio.com; This will be very apperciated and even more, "credits"ed in the patch. Thanks.
I do hope someone helps them.

Hi All,

Its still 'Me' - Cyclonus, although I'm using my new ID which I use on all my gaming forums, I've brought the Paradox forum into line now, so I'm now OmniusALX on all the forums I visit (I might just see you around! :rofl: )

Anyway, to the last poster, I have already been intouch, through the PM system and emails now.

I'll keep you all posted when and if I can pass on any info to the Dark Horizon community!

Regards :D

I must clear something up.

I have just received my D.H. today, and I 'think' I'm lucky!

I have had no crashes or the memory leak I have read about on here. I know my original post may have sounded like I already had the game, but I was merely commenting on how I found the news that the game sounded unplayable from day 1.

For me this isn't the case now I have the game finally. First off, I loved the Tarr Chronicles style and layout and I'm not disappointed with Dark Horizon!!!

This game universe that the great gamers at Quazar have created is one of the best in the whole Sci-Fi genre!

So what I'm looking forward too is the patch to fix the probs other gamers have expierenced and the addition of a full joystick patch, but also, the game to use the windows setting of 7.1 audio / surround sound.

Other than that this is one exciting game (love the radio chatter during flight!)

Regards :rolleyes: