Oh come on... It's STILL impossible to convince Ashe and the Earthshakers that their plan is insane?

Krozam

Second Lieutenant
36 Badges
Aug 9, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
I'm currently playing the game again after a long break, pretty much since the release. I'm on the Disfavored route, and just reached the part of the story which, last time, left a very bad taste in my mouth: the part where you're forced to participate in the Earthshakers' plan to ruin the Stone Sea for good. I had hoped that with this much time gone, the criticism would have convinced the devs to do something about this appallingly badly written part, but my hopes were in vain. I'm sure I'm not the only one complaining about this (I recall quite a few others being upset by this at the time of the launch), but let me once again summarise why the way this is handled in the game is spectacularly bad:

1) It's railroaded as hell. There is nowhere even a dialogue option to mention the real reasons why the plan is bad (the objection lines are ridiculously weak, in that light it's no wonder Ashe isn't convinced), there's no option to betray the alliance at this point of the story, and there's no option to suggest an alternative plan. You can find a legal loophole to save a single baby in Stalwart, you can betray your alliance with Ashe for a worthless fort, but you can't refuse to act as the center piece of this phenomenally stupid plan? They need you to carry it out, they owe you a dozen of large favours, but nevermind convincing Ashe to change his mind, you can't even refuse to help? I thought only Tunon would have such authority over a Fatebinder.

2) It's clearly against the Overlord's interests. It's been made abundantly clear that while Kyros is ruthless when necessary, he's not interested in ruling over a graveyard. Or, in this case, a worthless wasteland. Ruining the land for thousands of years just so that one archon can gain an edge over another archon in a short-lived squabble is hilariously overscaled, and even an idiot would see that it's a suicide move sure to earn the Overlord's wrath.

3) It's absolutely needless. At this point you should have so much evidence against Nerat that marching to Tunon's court and getting him to sentence Nerat for execution should be child's play. Which will end the war. And it's not like we've had any trouble with the Chorus scum so far: Ashe is clearly getting old if he thinks the elite Disfavored with their powerful Fatebinder ally need to resort to a starving tactic, which would take weeks, if not months, to produce results. The war will be long over before this will show any effect.

4) My companions gain fear and act as though I approve of the plan, even though I've spoken against it at every turn where possible (which is not that many, due to the sorely lacking dialogue options).

I still think that the worst failure of the game is the bare-bones third act, but this comes a close second. Aside from this, I really love the Disfavored route. Fleshing out the third act - with its numerous variations - is understandably a lot of work, but doing something about the railroading in this part of the game shouldn't be all that hard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FatebinderSurinam

Recruit
9 Badges
Apr 19, 2017
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
I believe the intent of the plan is to showcase the Disfavored as the evil army in service of the evil Overlord. With their generally honourable and straightforward ways they are in danger of almost being sympathetic, the 'good guys'. This demonstrates that while infinitely preferable to the howling chaos of the chorus they are happy to commit what amounts to genocide and irrevocable destruction.

Having looked at that however, the law speaks thusly.
"The harvest blooms and blights by Kyros will. In times of lean you will be fed, in times of plenty you will feed others."
This seems to directly contravene the harvest law for the Chorus who are still subjects of the Overlord and for the residents of the Stone Sea, to say nothing of other cities and towns who may potentially have traded with what was formerly Azure.
A legal point may be made that the Stone Sea inhabitants have not risen up in rebellion as Vendriens Well did and thus are under the protection of Kyros Peace and not to be involved in a civil war.

The harvest law alone is not enough to convict the Archon.
However I am in agreement there should be an option to at least break the alliance over this and for court loyalist reasons not selfish power grab ones.