Official Magicka Status Report (Jan 26th)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shams

Corporate Paladin
70 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
(Follow www.twitter.com/magickagame for up to date info - remember that devs/publisher are in Sweden - Central European Time)

Thanks for playing the game!

Here's the official status of Magicka as of now (26th of Jan).

Short story:
Singleplayer and Multiplayer: Tonights (it's 18:00 in Sweden) patch is going to be fairly big and hopefully it'll adress the majority of the issues you've been experiencing. Right now we've got so many players posting on the steam forums we're having a hard time keeping up answering posts. But we're reading all of them and are adding stuff to our "to-do"-list. This includes fixes and improvements

Here's the changelog

Patch will be delivered to Steam very soon and it's up as soon as Steam pushes the button). We'll monitor your response closely and keep patching the game as often as possible.

Please let us know if the patch helped!

Changelog Patch #26 Jan

Bugs Fixed

• Added keyboard binding for cast self (default middle mouse button)
  • Steam usernames longer than 15 characters will now be shortened instead of crashing.
  • Fixed a bug when displaying an already disposed server in server listing which caused a crash.
  • Multiple move orders with delays will now properly stop during the delay.
  • The errorReport in the application directory now also contains a version numbers.
  • Server lists can now be properly scrolled.
  • Path names are now region safe.
  • Chapter 6 Scene 4 (Grimnir mind duel) now spawns the correct amount of spawns.
  • Removed VAC option, all online games now use VAC.
  • Improved cutscene-skip in Chapter 2 Scene 2.
  • Improved cutscene-skip in Chapter 3 Scene 3.
  • Checkpoint added in Chapter 6 Scene 5 (Grimnir boss fight).
  • Statuseffect desync crash fixed.
  • Animation time desync crash fixed.
  • Additional small fixes.
Features added

• Cancel button added to gamepad configuration popup.
  • Icon added for break free action.
  • Icon added for boost action.
  • Icon added for magic action.
Known issues:

• No private game/password game option (coming soon)
  • Game stutters slightly on some systems despite good performance
  • Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched
  • Inexplicable poor performance on some high end machines
  • Sometimes campaign progress is wiped due to network disconnect (yeah this one is annoying)

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Please follow these general steps and hopefully it'll help most of you.

Make sure you're on a computer that has sufficient juice:

MINIMUM Requirements

• Operating system: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
  • Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
  • Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or equivalent
  • Direct X-compatible sound card
  • DirectX® 9
  • 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
  • Internet connection for multiplayer

We've seen that a bunch of players are reporting that the game is running poorly on their netbooks/laptops without proper graphics cards. This is the primary reason why their game is acting up.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Visit www.nvidia.com or www.amd.com.

Make sure your have the following installed (should have autoinstalled)

We (devs and publisher) are still super committed to fix stuff that's broken and make sure you guys can have a great time with the game.

Additionally we've also have a bunch of improvements planned and will be patched in as soon as the major issues are out of the way! These are based directly off your input

Keep letting us know if there's anything else we can do!

Thanks again for playing and watch out for friendly fire!

/ Paradox & Arrowhead Team

Additional info can be found on:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/magickagame
The official Magicka Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Magicka
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Magickagame

Last edited:
I don't get it...

Why are we being forced to use VAC again? Seems like if we don't want to use it for private games we shouldn't be required to, given the purpose of VAC is to protect against cheaters in public games...

Edit: Just tried playing a game with four people and there are horrible desynch issues, so we tried it with two people that we had almost no problems with last night and now we de-synch after 3 levels in the arena; I'm suspecting either netcode was made worse this patch or VAC is causing problems since I had it disabled before and everything worked.

Last edited:
How do I tell if the patch is already installed on Steam or not? Their "update history" link sends me to some blog crap, not actual patch logs.

I don't understand, is the patch released yet?
In a update post on Steam, it reads: "To apply the patch you’ll need to restart Steam, whereupon the 522MB of fixes will begin downloading.", but I don't see that happening =P

Heavy issue here, neither singleplayer OR multiplayer work for me. I can get to the menu and muck about, but whenever i click anything that should lead to a bit of gameplay, the game hard freezes after 2 seconds and stops responding.

I've installed everything advised and surpass sysreqs.

I get the same error log every time:

LogicThread
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at PolygonHead.Text.SetText(String iText)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.UpdateGamers()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect..ctor()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.get_Instance()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCampaignSelect.ControllerA(Controller iSender)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.SubMenu.ControllerMouseClicked(Controller iSender)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.SubMenu.ControllerMouseAction(Controller iSender, Point iScreenSize, MouseState iState, MouseState iOldState)
at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.KeyboardMouseController.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.ControlManager.HandleInput(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.MenuState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameStateManager.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.Game.Update(Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.Game.ThreadedUpdate()

Hope this got patched :(

Shams, I couldn't find this issue in your resolved list or in the known issues list. I count in total three people mentioning this issue.

Edit: Also, you should warn for the spoilers. ;) I didn't reach chapter 6 yet due to this issue.

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for posting issues, but if i should take them to some other thread or open a new one, just let me know.
right, now here are some issues I'm experiencing:

-) horrible lag issues. I guess it's lag issues since i don't have this in SP. The game runs more than smoothly for about 10-30 seconds and then i get a lag/framerate of about 1 pic for every other second. this lasts for up to one minute and then I'm back to smoothly again for another 10-30 seconds. (I know that frame rate issues are in the known problems list, I just don't know whether this problem here goes into the same category...)

-) when i join a game right through the steam-friends -> join game thingy, the screen stays almost black and I have to blindly click around until i successfully hit the join button
(the game starts by fading in from completely black to the main-menu book, right? it looks like the graphics are stuck in the very first few frames of this fade-in and i can very very dimly "see" the multi-player menu behind it)

-) sometimes i have to restart the game a few times before I can click the "join" button in the games. The other times it's just not click-able.

-) sometimes (mostly happens after dying) I have issues with picking up items, they're just not marked pick-able

that said.
I really love the game! Keep up the great work!

It's up. Steam just downloaded this patch for me.

The game crashes at startup after applying the patch...

Crash log:

Version: 1.3.3.0
Thread: LoaderThread
System.ArgumentException: Une entrée avec la même clé existe déjà.
à System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
à System.Collections.Generic.SortedList`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
à Magicka.GameLogic.Profile.Add(Gamer iGamer)
à Magicka.GameLogic.Profile.Read()
à Magicka.Game.LoaderFunction()

Hi, I can't play this game. I start it up, and it just crashes after a while. I could play the demo fine, and I meet the minimum requirements, and I have everything that is a necessity installed. Here is a crash report, seems to have something to do with game controllers (I don't have any plugged in nor do I want to use them.)

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Manager.GetDevices(DeviceClass deviceType, EnumDevicesFlags flags)
at Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.Manager.GetDevices(DeviceType deviceType, EnumDevicesFlags flags)
at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.ControlManager.FindNewGamePads()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.MenuState.FindNewControllers()
at Magicka.Game.LoaderFunction()

Thanks for looking into it, I very much appreciate you trying to fix this and I look forward to playing the game soon.

I'm getting a crash directly after the Grimnir mind duel -- supposedly where a new checkpoint was added.
Code:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "f:\games\steam\steamapps\common\magicka\content\models\bosses\assatur\assatur_dmg_0". File not found. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'f:\games\steam\steamapps\common\magicka\content\models\bosses\assatur\assatur_dmg_0.xnb'.
File name: 'f:\games\steam\steamapps\common\magicka\content\models\bosses\assatur\assatur_dmg_0.xnb'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   at Magicka.SharedContentManager.CommonContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadExternalReference[T]()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ExternalReferenceReader.Read(ContentReader input, Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject[T]()
   at XNAnimation.Effects.SkinnedModelBasicEffect.Read(ContentReader input)
   at XNAnimation.Pipeline.SkinnedModelBasicEffectReader.Read(ContentReader input, SkinnedModelBasicEffect existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentTypeReader`1.Read(ContentReader input, Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadSharedResources(Int32 sharedResourceCount)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset[T]()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   at Magicka.SharedContentManager.CommonContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   at Magicka.SharedContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   at Magicka.GameLogic.Entities.Bosses.Grimnir2..ctor(PlayState iPlayState)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Magicka.Levels.Triggers.Actions.SpawnBoss.GetBoss(String iClassName, PlayState iPlayState)
   at Magicka.Levels.Triggers.Actions.SpawnBoss.Initialize()
   at Magicka.Levels.Triggers.Trigger.Initialize()
   at Magicka.Levels.GameScene.Initialize(SpawnPoint iSpawnPoint, Boolean iClearAudio)
   at Magicka.Levels.Level.ChangeScene()
   at Magicka.Game.LoaderFunction()

This "assatur_dmg_0.xnb" file doesn't seem to be anywhere at all.

Last edited:
There are multiple processes I believe. One of them is sound thing.