• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shadius said:
Er, well, okay; so it's not EXACTLY the game I've always wanted Paradox to tackle. That would be a game centered around the Diadochi. But I can make due with Rome. Especially if it incorporates a significant character system.

Same here. I have no idea why they had to put the punic wars at the beginning. Easier to sell perhaps ?

And Q2 2008 ? No idea how big paradox's team got meanwhile, but with all those addons lately it seems like games are being produced in assembly line.
Nothing wrong with high productivity but I certainly hope that Rome get's enough attention to make it a real worthwhile standalone game, with complete new game mechanis and that it won't result into some other sort of a EU3-Addon ...

rafiki said:
The above sentence contains a contradiction
nods2.gif

poke.gif

I own like 9 of their games :mad:.

You're just, like, jealous and stuff
giggle.gif

Kurek said:
Characters alá CK or more like Vicky pops? I'm hoping actual CKesque characters, generals and politicians and all that republican era sexyness that goes along with it.

I dont want to give out all the information yet, but your hopes sounds close to our design document.

Golwar said:
Same here. I have no idea why they had to put the punic wars at the beginning. Easier to sell perhaps ?

And Q2 2008 ? No idea how big paradox's team got meanwhile, but with all those addons lately it seems like games are being produced in assembly line.
Nothing wrong with high productivity but I certainly hope that Rome get's enough attention to make it a real worthwhile standalone game, with complete new game mechanis and that it won't result into some other sort of a EU3-Addon ...

Since we already have screenshots, I assume alpha has progressed very far already and I guess BETA ain't too far off. So we're already further in the development process than with earlier announcements.

That's just a guess though, I don't know anything about the new game. In fact, the announcement was new for me too.

Vulture said:
WOOOOT.

Roman times without intrigue, scheming and some inbreeding wouldn't be Roman tomes ;)
Looking forward to breeding Nero and Caligula? :p

Am I the only one who immediately thought "Total War?" as soon as I read the Rome part? :p

Glad to see this, this has been long overdue for a Paradox game.

CK-style characters sound very good indeed. Even better than I hoped, actually.

CSJ said:
Am I the only one who immediately thought "Total War?" as soon as I read the Rome part? :p

At least I didn't :) But then again, the Total War series is not 100% my cup of tea. It's nice and stuff but never grips my attention for a very long period of time (like Pdox games do).

CSJ said:

Yes, paradox will make this before RTW2.

Finally Paradox tackles the acient era, I'm really pleased about that... :D

Now, just need to be patient and wait for further info... ;)

Johan said:
I dont want to give out all the information yet, but your hopes sounds close to our design document.
Maybe, then, just maybe, I'll for the first time be interested in that period, which so far, I always found uttely boring.

That would be nicely done Paradox: I was not interested in Modern History before Europa Universalis. :cool:

That said, it will still be quite a challenge... :p

Give us a good game, we know you can deliver ! :)

Cat

Johan said:
no, that was never a roman title.. it was Napoleons title .)

How embarrassing, mixing together Princeps and Consul... :wacko:

In any case, this closes what I've always found to be the big gap in a great lineup of games! Excellent news!

Johan said:
dance.gif

Suddenly, this game sounds amazingly great.

Johan said:
:eek: YAY!!!

Duuk said:
dance.gif

Suddenly, this game sounds amazingly great.

I wont call it great yet, but a significant plotting theme, with intrigues and such, and "breed your emperor" would prove to be fun.

But i want more provinces!!

GrimPagan said:
Looking forward to breeding Nero and Caligula? :p

Wrong era, sadly. ;) But Imperial Rome consisted mostly out of lots of civil wars and barbarians tearing down the gates. Not that you couldn't make a solid game out of that - it just wouldn't be much like Europa Universalis. Less "Create a great Empire" and more "Keep a great Empire together". Or tear it down, if that's closer to your fancy ;).

Republican Rome, on the other hand, wasn't thought of as much of a competitor before their victories against the Epirotes and Carthaginians. Both of these nations, as well as the Makedonians and the Ptolemaic Egyptians stood a much better chance of dominating the Mediteranean than Rome at the time. In short; there's much more room to have fun with nations besides Rome.