• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's not fair, you knew the Americans would be at war when you wrote that comment... No peeking ahead!
:D

Btw, if you hear sounds like an old man's groan after a stumble, somewhere in your HQ? Nevermind<LOL>;):cool:

:D

Btw, if you hear sounds like an old man's groan after a stumble, somewhere in your HQ? Nevermind<LOL>;):cool:
Or I could take a leaf out of @Bullfilter 's book and add a 'Marrkur' character...

20th of November 1941, 'Odin', 10-day report #178
The 20th of November 1941, Helsinki, -8,2°C, 11am Moscow Time,

Report on the state of the Soviet Union for the ten day period between the 11th and the 20th of November 1941,

by 'Odin'

Army:
Another new Artillery Regiment, 98. AP, has been deployed to Maj. General Sergatskov's 2 SD, XII SK, 7ya Armiya, 3rd Army Group, Brjansk HQ.
Army numbers (Brigades/Personnel) Reserves included (these numbers don't include regiments being upgraded):
Front line troops: 663 / 1.989.000
Support troops: 302 / 302.000
Total fighting troops: 965 / 2.291.000
Headquarters: 63 / 63.000
Total Army Personnel: 1.028 / 2.354.000
Officers: 95.013 + / 102.110 needed / 93,050 %
Active Leaders: 271 / 152 more available
152mm ML-20 Production continues as another Artillery Regiment started training.
Our third Division of Paratroopers, 2. Vozdushno-Desnatnaya Diviziya, has started training.
Air Force:
124 new Yak-7 interceptors and have been delivered to the VVS, they have been formed into 130. IAD-PVO, it has been deployed to Air Maj. General Eremin's VII. IAK, which now has 3 IADs.
124 new Li-2 trasports were delivered as well, forming 2. TrAD, for now, it was deployed to I. TrAK, bringing it to a total of 372 Li-2s, in three TrADs.

Aeroplane Numbers (Wings/Planes):
Interceptors: 27 / 3.348
Multi-Role Fighters: 7 / 868
Close Air Support: 9 / 1.116
Carrier Air Groups: 7 / 434
Single Engined: 50 / 5.766
Tactical Bomber: 4 / 400
Total Bombers: 13 / 1.516
Transport Planes: 3 / 372
Total VVS: 50 / 6.104
Total Navy: 7 / 434
Total Aeroplanes: 57 / 6.538
Active Leaders: 19 / 23 Reserve
Production of Yak-7s continues, the next 124 will form 141. IAD-PVO, the 4th wing of VII. IAK.
Another Aviation Division's complement of 100 TB-3 Heavy Bombers will be produced, forming 2. DBAD.
Navy:
No changes in the Navy for the last 10 days.
Politics / International:
Japan has refused an offer for Military Acces to Portugal and it's overseas territories.
The UK has started an Embargo on Japan.

British North Africa Front
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,0 / 77,6
Italy (Surrender Progress / NU): 7,90 / 79,4
BNAF41-11-20-min.jpeg

After sufficient fuel and Supplies reached them, British tanks moved on towards Misurata. However, resistance from Italian troops, freshly arrived from the West, while not significant enough in itself to halt the offensive, did mean the RAF flew more bombing missions, inevitably damaging infrastructure along the way. This is believed to be a major factor in the slowing advance as the tanks have once again run out of supply after taking Al Agheila, a mere 90km from where they were ten days ago. There is still 350km to go, before they reach the next port.
The RAF continued bombing Roma from Malta, this time with Vickers-Armstrong Wellington Mk.III Tactical bombers. This was a success as at least 4 missions were flown, uncontested by Regia Aeronautica. This may have something to do with the fact that the strategic group, now equipped with Handley Page Halifax bombers, struck Firenze at around the same time. This mission was contested and at least 10 Halifax's didn't make it back. This suggests that the Regia Aeronautica can't defend two cities at the same time... not yet anyway.

1 Axis convoys was sunk in the Mediterranean, they may have run out again. No British Convoys were lost in the Atlantic. Aeroplanes from HMS Furious have sunk another Italian transport flotilla.
Philippines Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 4,3 / 85,9 Loss of Guam
Philippines (Surrender Progress / NU): 14,9 / 74,8 Loss of Calapan.
Japan (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,00 / 70,2
PHF41-11-20-min.jpeg

Japanese forces have crossed the strait into the islands of Mindoro and Calapan, an, closer to the Luzon Island.
No significant naval clashes have happened, yet.
Pacific Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 4,3 / 85,9 Loss of Guam
JUSP41-11-20-min.jpeg

The Imperial Japanese Navy has captured the island of Guam, the US territory closest to Japan.
Industry:
Working Industrial Capacity / available capacity: 240 / 324
IC Usage: ( Allocated IC / Need )
Upgrades: 12,40 / 14,98
Reinforcement: 1,00 / 1,19
Supplies: 30,00 / 48,19
Production: 251,44 / 284,85 (the Licensed MP remains mostly unfunded, as well as three Mountain Rifle Divisions and 10. TTGvD)
Consumer Goods: 29,16 / 29,16​
Stockpiles:
Energy: Maximum tonnes +
Metal: Maximum tonnes +
Rares: 43.558 tonnes +
Crude: Maximum barrels +
Supplies: 39.207 tonnes +
Fuel: Maximum barrels +
Money: 1.924 -​

Intelligence:
Spy numbers, spies in (active / added / lost / caught by us)
France (Supporting our Party / Counterespionage): 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
{ Germany (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 1 }
{ Japan (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
UK (/) : 7 / 1 / 2 / 0
Other: 0 / 0 / 0 / 1
Total: 12 / 1 / 2 / 2
Reserves: 0
Spy training leadership expenditure: 0,65 (a new spy every 10 days)
A GRU operative in the UK was caught by a Bhutanese spy hunter. Another GRU operative was caught by a South-African spy hunter as he tried to infiltrate into the UK. A spy from Germany, and another from Turkey was caught in the Soviet Union.
Research:
Tank Designers have delivered a new type of Heavy Tank, the IS-2 is both faster, thanks to a better Engine (Level 1), and has significantly better Reliability (Level 2), compared to the KV-122. Our Heavy Tank Regiments will soon see all of their KV-122s replaced as the new vehicles roll of the line.
The KV-1 has always been considered inferior to the German Heavy Tank Designs (Königstigers) which have been spotted on our border. Part of the solution was to keep putting larger turrets, with larger guns, on the KV platform, and the KV-122 does stretch that concept to the limit, outgunning it's German rivals. But there were more fundamental design issues with the platform. Specifications were written out for a more modern Heavy Tank Platform that could also serve as the base for Heavy Self-Propelled Artillery.
After having come up with, and presented, the innovative Iosif Stalin 85 heavy tank design, with an 85mm gun, Nikolay Dukhov's team was told to go back to the drawing board and adapt the turret design to fit a 122mm Gun not unlike the one in the KV-122.
is2-min.png

The result was the IS-2. At 9,9m by 3,09m by 2,73m, it is 1,4m longer, 22cm wider, and 15cm lower than the KV-1. These dimensions allow for wider tracks, a larger turret, and more stability while manoeuvring or firing. The hull has marginally less armour than the latest KV-122s, ranging between 90mm and 130mm, but the sloped hull design means that it is more effective at deflecting enemy rounds, and better armour placement helps keep the weight down even more. Thanks to it's 600hp Mikulin V-2 V12 Diesel Engine, and it's lower weight (than the KV-1 even), this behemoth can attain speeds of up to 40 km/h.
Using the same gun in a marginally improved turret, the rate of fire of the IS-2 is similar to that of the KV-122, at most 3-4 rounds per minute with the latest versions of the D-25 122mm gun. Equally small amounts of ammunition, only 28 rounds, can be carried on board.
The platform has been very well received by the Red Army due to it's well thought-out Armour design and it's great manoeuvrability. (compared to the KV-1 platform)
The Red Army has now written out a competition to improve the new Heavy Tank's Armour (Level 2), and fit it with an even larger Gun (Level 3).
Statistics:
National Unity: 83,241 =
Neutrality: 0,00 =
Dissent: 0,00 =
Manpower:
Available: 2.119.000
Men To reinforce(need): 640
Men To mobilise(need): See above
Monthly gain: 48.200 Men (1 fully mobilised Infx3, AT Division every 7 days)​
No changes in Party Popularity for the last 10 days.
No changes in Party Organisation for the last 10 days.
This Information is accurate on the morning of the 20th of November 1941, I hope it serves you well in fine-tuning your possible suggestions.

'Odin'​

Last edited:
I don't like the fact that the Japanese are so active and the Americans seem to be sleeping! If they are not stopped soon the Americans will have to spend time, material, and men just to get back to what they started out with! Guam! They lost Guam! If the Japanese base aircraft and warships there they can cover a lot of approaches to Japan and the China Sea.

Will somebody tell the Americans to get off their (censored) and get a move on! Or is this some kind of plot to allow the Japanese freedom in the Soviet Far East?

Huzzah to that! :D An American LO once the SU joins the war? :)
Now that you've given me such a smooth way to integrate an american character I really can't back down...

A chuckleworthy scenario - Htller decides to back up his Japanese partners by a DOW on the US.
Chuckleworthy indeed, though it's not that far from the truth. (see upcoming update)

I don't like the fact that the Japanese are so active and the Americans seem to be sleeping! If they are not stopped soon the Americans will have to spend time, material, and men just to get back to what they started out with! Guam! They lost Guam! If the Japanese base aircraft and warships there they can cover a lot of approaches to Japan and the China Sea.

Will somebody tell the Americans to get off their (censored) and get a move on! Or is this some kind of plot to allow the Japanese freedom in the Soviet Far East?
I don't know how we could really motivate the Americans to do more in this case, they already lost Guam, and there is no sign of real change. Especially alarming is the total lack of (significant) US-Japan naval action, meaning that, for now, the IJN is uncontested in the Eastern Pacific and the South China Sea, at least.

New heavy tanks, rejoice! And more VDV too! I shall get the vodka right away :)

The US seems to be awfully dormant. Suppose the giant is a heavy sleeper? Either way, unless the USN does something, soon, the Pacific war may end up going all wrong for them.

26th of November 1941, 'Tri', Call about Greece, the US, the Allies, Japan, and the United Nations
The 26th of November 1941, Helsinki Train Station, -7,0°C, 7pm Moscow Time,

The last Partisans have been rounded up, scared, hungry, out of ammunition, there was no more fight in them. In the past few days another 1.224 insurgents were arrested by the NKGBF, without firing a shot. It seems all of the rebels have been rounded up, or have gone into hiding. It will take a week to clear the final province of Riihimäki, but that's because icy roads are slowing down the Heavy Artillery Units. I will return to Vologda tomorrow, but before then, for once, I had some time to go out and have a drink, mingle with the people of Helsinki, see the sights. I decided to go watch a play in the 'Swedish Theatre' (Svenska Teatern), there was still some time before the play, and I thus went to have a drink in one of the bars nearby.​

HelsinkiSwedishTheatre-min.jpg

Mannerheimintie, in the Kaartinkaupunki neighbourhood in the Southern part of Helsinki. Note the Swedish Theatre building on the right, opened in 1860 and designed by Georg Theodor von Chiewitz in the Neo-Classical style, the theatre was overhauled in 1935 by a young Finnish Architect named Eero Saarinen, one of his first projects, giving it a more modern look inside and out, while maintaining the original structure of the building.
I had just sat down in the Brasserie Kämp, with a Finnish pale lager when the waiter politely told me that there was a telephone call for me. As I had told no one, nor known myself, I would be going to this particular bar, it could only be 'Tri', but he was panting:

"The world stage ... has been crazy today, ... I keep getting ... messages, ... maps, reports. ... Things are ... happening all ... over the place.... Let me catch ... my breath ... first, ... and I'll ... start ... from the ... beginning...

"Here we go... First, this morning, the British 3rd Royal Marines Division performed a perfect amphibious assault into Athina, when I say perfect, I mean that there were no Italian troops present in the city, nor around it, so it was really a nice walk on the beach, followed by a nice walk up the Acropolis to plant the Union Jack and take down the Italian 'tricolore'. For now, the British haven't brought in any additional units and the Royal Marines seem content to dig in and enjoy the fortified capital of Greece. The Italians don't seem to have any units in the area at all, and without un-perforated troop transport ships, it might take some time for any Axis units to get there."

GRF41-11-26-min.jpeg

Royal Marines in Athens, the only Italians in the area are stuck on the Dodecanese. Our Carrier Fleet is just taking a look...
"As crazy as a British invasion of Greece sounds, things got a lot more interesting later in the day. Around noon, after several days of high level meetings with members of the British government and armed forces on board HMS Hood, anchored of the coast of Newfoundland for the occasion, President Roosevelt announced that the United States of America would join the Allies, the details were to be fleshed out in the afternoon before an official signing ceremony. Though, the US did officially declare war on all nations of the Axis, currently at war with the Allies."

AtlanticCharter-min.jpg

President Roosevelt and his guests attending a church service on board HMS Hood. Prime Minister Chamberlain is out of frame.
(OOC: Despite how this looks this isn't HMS Prince of Wales, which hasn't even been launched yet TTL, nor is Winston Churchill in this picture, if you're seeing him, you obviously suffer from hallucinations...)
"But that's not all, oh no, before the terms had been fleshed out, the Empire of Japan declared war on the United Kingdom. You may say that this was pointless as the US, as a member of the Allies, would drag them into that war anyway, but that's not how it works. The US was already at war with Japan before joining the alliance, and thus other members of the Allies weren't obliged by it's terms to declare war on Japan. Now that Japan issued it's declaration of war, that just spared US diplomats the trouble of going around to ask the other members of the Allies for Military assistance in the Pacific. I can't read the Japanese Emperor's mind, but in my opinion, the Japanese had three plausible reasons to declare war. 1. They need the resources of the Allies' South-East Asia's colonies. 2. They want to beat the Allies to the punch and be the agressor, looking like they have the initiative. 3. They feel the Americans are too much of a push-over right now, and they want a bit of a challenge. It could be all of those, none of those, one of those, or any combination of them. This has definitively merged two large conflicts into a global struggle, a full on Second World War.

Oh, and an hour ago, the Allies have announced that they were launching a new Alliance with the sole goal to destroy the Axis. The point of 'The United Nations' is, for now, to coordinate diplomacy, and even grand strategy, for the war against the Axis, and the only criterium of entry right now, is that you have to be at war with any Axis member.

If we get into the war, joining could be beneficial, especially if we wanted to take advantage of foreign support, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Right now, the Allies don't trust us, accusing us of not taking the Nazi's head on with our Great Red Army. In the span of hours, things really have changed, this is just one of those days where history is written. Enjoy your play."
And as usual, he hung up before I could thank him, or ask more questions. What a day, and I thought it would be a quiet one, boy was I wrong. I'm sure you can all see the implications of these developments. For starters, Greece could, once more become a distraction for the Germans. Secondly, the Royal Navy presence in the Med will probably be reduced, as the Pacific and the South China Sea beckon, though the Regia Marina is probably too far gone to do any serious damage, this could mean convoys getting through to North Africa again. Then there is the, now very probable, Japanese campaign into Indonesia and Malaysia, which could give the US some breathing room to get it together and actually fight in the Pacific. And there is the possibility of American reinforcements in Europe and/or Africa, in the near future.

A lot to ponder over and discuss. I'll leave you to it, and go see my play,

Greetings,

'Odin'

Last edited:
New heavy tanks, rejoice! And more VDV too! I shall get the vodka right away :)
That does seem appropriate.

The US seems to be awfully dormant. Suppose the giant is a heavy sleeper? Either way, unless the USN does something, soon, the Pacific war may end up going all wrong for them.
I guess they have been too busy arranging secret talks, on Battleships, about joining the Allies, to actually send the USN into the Pacific in a timely manner... after all they had to show their navy to the British guests before deploying it...

I have to correct you on the picture: the road pictured, going forward, is in fact Mannerheimintie. Pohjoisesplanadi is perpendicular to it and travels to the right from that perspective, behind the Swedish theatre. Actually, I could even get a picture from (roughly) the same spot later today, if anyone is interested, although it will take me a week to deliver it most likely since I will be heading out of town for my wedding :) I shall see if I can report from the road as the demands on my time allow.

The world has clearly gone mad! Why would the Italians not garrison Greece? Do they not seem like a rebellious bunch to them? And why would Japan declare a war on the Brits, about the only country besides USA that can actually give them a run for their money in terms of naval combat? The world has gone so mad, it's affecting me too; I'm seeing Churchills!

I will be heading out of town for my wedding :)
Congrats!

As for the war: so, here it comes, much as we thought it would after the initial Japanese DOW. The wild card is how Germany will react. Especially with those other distractions.

And Tri is developing almost supernatural powers in his ability to find Odin, wherever he may be :D

I have to correct you on the picture: the road pictured, going forward, is in fact Mannerheimintie. Pohjoisesplanadi is perpendicular to it and travels to the right from that perspective, behind the Swedish theatre. Actually, I could even get a picture from (roughly) the same spot later today, if anyone is interested, although it will take me a week to deliver it most likely since I will be heading out of town for my wedding :) I shall see if I can report from the road as the demands on my time allow.
The caption has been corrected... I should have looked at a map, and not gone off the address of the Theatre... I would be interested in a picture from the same spot today, it's always interesting to see how things have changed, I don't mind waiting a week for it. Have a great wedding and many years of happy marriage to follow it.

The world has clearly gone mad! Why would the Italians not garrison Greece? Do they not seem like a rebellious bunch to them? And why would Japan declare a war on the Brits, about the only country besides USA that can actually give them a run for their money in terms of naval combat? The world has gone so mad, it's affecting me too; I'm seeing Churchills!
I have no idea why the Italians left Athens void of troops, I distinctly remember troops being present in Greece before, but now that this happened, I checked, and none of their troops were present in Greece when our Carrier Fleet sailed by on the 4th of November... They have had no rebellions... yet, but if were playing as Italy, I wouldn't have taken the chance. It is possible, though, that the Italians lost troops they were transporting to Garrison Greece to the Royal Navy...
As for the Japs declaring war on the Brits... it's somewhat stupid, as they should be focusing on taking as many US islands as possible before the USN really gets into the war. If at all possible, I'd want to take Wake, Midway, the Philippines, Johnston, and even Hawai, before DOW-ing the UK in this situation. And it's even worse when you remember that the RN has effectively destroyed the Regia Marina, and crippled the Kriegsmarine already, without that many losses. Even if the USN stays in port, this decision could cost the IJN dearly.
OOC: I took the picture I could find of the Atlantic Carter where Churchill was least prominent, but he really is in all of the pictures... and as HMS Prince of Wales won't be Commissioned until next spring, but HMS Hood is still in great shape, so I speculated that such a meeting would take place on HMS Hood. Of course there are no pictures of Roosevelt on HMS Hood...

As for the war: so, here it comes, much as we thought it would after the initial Japanese DOW. The wild card is how Germany will react. Especially with those other distractions.
If the Italians can't, or don't react to the Greek invasion quickly enough, especially if the Brits bring in reinforcements, then the Germans will have to divert troops to stop a large souther allied front from forming... At this point, Italy is more than pulling it's weight, as in, it's weighing down Germany as the latter has to keep putting out Italian Fires, and the former hasn't managed to cripple the Royal Navy or dominate the Med. In TTL, two nations may be held responsible for the loss of Nazi Germany, more than many larger nations... Norway, and Italy...

And Tri is developing almost supernatural powers in his ability to find Odin, wherever he may be :D
Yes, his superpowers are impressive, one wonders how he does it, though he'll probably never reveal his secrets...

Hmmm... just had the wrong countries. Well that's interesting.
Pretty much, and it sure is.

30th of November 1941, 'Odin', 10-day report #179
The 30th of November 1941, Vologda, -11,0°C, 10am Moscow Time,

Report on the state of the Soviet Union for the ten day period between the 21st and the 30th of November 1941,

by 'Odin'

Army:
93. AP, an Artillery Regiment, has been deployed to Maj. General Nikishin's 122 SD, I SK, 7ya Armiya, 3rd Army Group, Brjansk HQ.
Two new Engineer Regiments, 48. SaP, and 49.SaP, have been deployed to 79. SD, and 93. SD, in Lt. General Semenovskij's XXVII SK, 10ya Armiya, Far Eastern Theatre.

Army numbers (Brigades/Personnel) Reserves included (these numbers don't include regiments being upgraded):
Front line troops: 663 / 1.989.000
Support troops: 305 / 305.000
Total fighting troops: 968 / 2.294.000
Headquarters: 63 / 63.000
Total Army Personnel: 1.031 / 2.357.000
Officers: 95.512 + / 102.410 needed / 93,264 %
Active Leaders: 271 / 152 more available
Two more Artillery Regiments,
and two more Engineer Regiments, have started training.
Air Force:
No changes to the VVS, nor to the Navy Air Fleet for the last 10 days.
Navy:
Five large troop transport ships have been delivered to the Navy in Leningrad, they have been formed into 4. Transportnaya Flotiliya, and can carry a full Western Rifle Division. This addition allows us to maintain some transport Capability in the Baltic, the Black Sea, and if those are cut off, the North Atlantic, the Arctic, the Far East, or anywhere else we get access to a base.
Navy Numbers (Flotillas / Ships)
Transports: 3 / 15
AG-boat Class (I): 11 / 55
Series II Class(II): 9 / 45
Series V-bis Class(III): 3 / 15
Submarines: 23 / 115
Norvik-Class (I) : 3 / 15
Gnevnyi-Class (II): 2 / 10
Kiev-Class (IV): 1 / 5
Sevastopol-Class (IV+): 5 / 25
Destroyers: 11 / 55
Light Cruisers / Profitern-Class (I): 3
Escorts: 14 / 58
Heavy Cruiser / Krasnyi Kavkaz (I): 1
Battleships / Gangut-Class (I): 3
Escort Carriers / Moskva-Class (I): 2
Fleet Carrier / Kyiv-Class (I): 1
Capitals: 7​
Total combat ships: 22 / 65
Total Navy: 48 / 195
Leaders: 13/ 21 Reserve
Construction of five more Sevastopol-Class Destroyers has started in Archanglesk. They will form 9. Flotiliya Esmintsev, our 6th and final Sevastopol-Class Flotilla, and will join I. Avianosets Flote.
Politics / International:
The USA has joined the Allies.
Japan has declared war on the Allies.
The Allies have declared The United Nations.
Maxim Litvinov has replaced Vyacheslav Molotov as Foreign Minister of the Soviet Union. As a Biased Intellectual, Litvinov is more soft spoken and more likely to convince foreigners to join the Comintern.
To start of his tenure off with a bang, Litvinov has proposed influencing Sinkiang towards the Comintern. A move supported by comrade Stalin, and 'Tri', as, at most, a month of influencing should be enough to pull them off the fence and into the Comintern.

Finland Partisans
FPF41-11-30-min.jpeg

The insurgency is over, we now wait for 2. NKGBF Konnaya Brigada and/or 218. Strelkovaya Diviziya to reassert control over Riihimäki.
British North Africa Front
BNAF41-11-30-min.jpeg

It seems new supplies have reached the Italian forces in Libya. The British tanks, out of supply and somewhat disorganised, were forced to retreat from El Agheila by well-supplied Italian blackshirts. As the tanks moved behind the lines and closer to Bengasi to resupply, and the RAF unleashed hell upon El Agheila, well-supplied and well rested British Infantry filled the hole in the front, and attacked the Blackshirts, who were soon reinforced by a somewhat organised Light Tank Division. Before the Italian tanks could sway the battle, another British Infantry Division outflanked the Italians, taking Umm Farud after a short battle with a barely organised Italian unit, and hitting El Agheila from the South. Right now, the British are winning the battle, with the Blackshirts close to their braking point, and the Light tanks unable to join the fight. The British tanks have recuperated and resupplied and are moving back towards the front. For now, the British advance has stalled, but they do maintain the upper hand, especially in Air Power.
Confirming the re-establishment of Italian supply convoys across the Med, 3 Italian convoys have been sunk. The Regia Marina seems to still have a few submarines, as it has hit a British convoy. The Italians tried two more times, but their obsolete subs were heavily damaged by the reinforced British escort, and retreated to Sardinia.
Greek Front
GRF41-11-26-min.jpeg
No changes, yet.
Philippines Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 6,4 / 85,9 Loss of Midway Island.
Philippines (Surrender Progress / NU): 14,9 / 74,8 Loss of Calapan.
PHF41-11-30-min.jpeg

Imperial Marines have made it to San Pablo, just South of Manila. The USA have taken a leaf out of the British playbook and flown two Airborne Divisions into the Philippine capital, placing them under the command of Manila HQ. This means that the Japs will need more than a single Division of Marines to dislodge the Garrison, across the 25km of Pasig River between Laguna de Bay, and Manila Bay.
More than a third of the Royal Navy, including all four of it's Carriers, has started sailing towards Malaysia, rebasing to Teluk Anson, Singapore, and Kota Bharu. It seems the Japanese are in for a nasty surprise...
Pacific Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 6,4 / 85,9 Loss of Midway Island.
JUSP41-11-30-min.jpeg

Bypassing Wake Island, the Imperial Japanese Navy has taken possession of Midway Island
Industry:
Working Industrial Capacity / available capacity: 240 / 324
IC Usage: ( Allocated IC / Need )
Upgrades: 11,10 / 12,65
Reinforcement: 1,50 / 1,92
Supplies: 30,00 / 47,59
Production: 252,24 / 285,59 (the Licensed MP remains mostly unfunded, as well as three Mountain Rifle Divisions and 10. TTGvD)
Consumer Goods: 29,16 / 29,16​
Stockpiles:
Energy: Maximum tonnes +
Metal: Maximum tonnes +
Rares: 43.817 tonnes +
Crude: Maximum barrels +
Supplies: 38.721 tonnes -
Fuel: Maximum barrels +
Money: 1.902 -​

Intelligence:
Spy numbers, spies in (active / added / lost / caught by us)
France (Supporting our Party / Counterespionage): 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
{ Germany (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 1 }
{ Japan (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
UK (/) : 8 / 1 / 0 / 0
Other: 0 / 0 / 0 / 1
Total: 13 / 1 / 0 / 2
Reserves: 0
Spy training leadership expenditure: 0,65 (a new spy every 10 days)
A GRU operative successfully infiltrated into the UK. A spy from Germany, and another from Finland were caught in the Soviet Union.
Research:
After a many months of theorising, modelling, calculating, and finally, testing, the Red Navy has finally mastered the Fleet Auxiliary Carrier Doctrine. This means that our Carriers will be able to better coordinate their movements with the rest of a large fleet, but the most significant improvement that the sustained take off rate of our Carriers has been improved upon, meaning that our CAGs are now more effective at their primary duties of providing Air cover for the fleet, and striking enemy ships during naval engagements.
After all that theorising, specifications have been written out for the development of a more powerful and efficient Engine (Level 4) for our Destroyers. A redesign of the hull will probably be needed to fit a different engine, and potentially, more fuel. The specifications ask for a cruising speed of 35 knots and an effective operating range of 3500kms, though that may be a tad ambitious...The Red Navy tries to make the most out of it's limited research budget.
Statistics:
National Unity: 83,241 =
Neutrality: 0,00 =
Dissent: 0,00 =
Manpower:
Available: 2.128.000
Men To reinforce(need): 1.370
Men To mobilise(need): See above
Monthly gain: 48.200 Men (1 fully mobilised Infx3, AT Division every 7 days)​
No changes in Party Popularity for the last 10 days.
No changes in Party Organisation for the last 10 days.
This Information is accurate on the morning of the 30th of November 1941, I hope it serves you well in fine-tuning your possible suggestions.

'Odin'​

Last edited:
Things continue to travel pretty well. The Germans, looking over their shoulders all the time, may trip and fall head first into your Russian Bear Pit! Even if you eventually need to lasso them into it. ;)

Good news on the carrier doctrine. Maybe they will one day have to fight the RN or USN. Now that would be a challenge.

Things continue to travel pretty well. The Germans, looking over their shoulders all the time, may trip and fall head first into your Russian Bear Pit! Even if you eventually need to lasso them into it. ;)
If necessary, we will throw our Lasso... but for now, we still believe them to be stupid enough to alk into it of their own volition.

Good news on the carrier doctrine. Maybe they will one day have to fight the RN or USN. Now that would be a challenge.
A challenge indeed, we now know the most basic Carrier Doctrine, and it took more than half a year to devise it... at this rate, we can never catch up...

Note that I edited the report, as I omitted to mention a change in our Foreign Policy... Now that Sinkiang is scared enough to join an alliance it feels enough affinity with, we need to reel them in. As our Party is now hugely popular, Molotov is a better fit as the face of our foreign Policy, as Molotov was always regarded as a bit of a brute, though he was hugely popular at home.

1st of December 1941, Finland insurgency wrap-up.
The 1st of December 1941, Vologda, -11,4°C, 10am Moscow Time,

With the final province back under our control, the final numbers are in for the Finnish insurrection. Initially, 24.000 Finns took up arms. In the course of the rebellion, nearly 8.000 more Finns joined it. The final count of insurgents is 31.932, two thirds of them were killed from the air, and about one third were arrested, only a few were killed by our reinforced state security apparatus, the exact distribution is as follows:

Insurgents killed from the Air / Aeroplanes lost: 20.840 / 4 (2 Yak-4, 1 Il-2M3, 1 Il-10VM)
Insurgents killed by NKGBF / NKGBF Officers KIA: 284 / 18
Insurgents arrested: 10.808

ww1weapons-min.jpeg

Great War ear German weapons recovered from the Finnish rebels, indicating involvement from the phoney Finnish government in Berlin and their German masters.
As I was pouring over the details of the action with 'Dva', 'Piat', 'Chteyre' and 'Sem', when the telephone rang:

"Gentlemen, 'Tri' here, I just wanted to mention that the German-backed Finnish government in exile has declared war on the Allies, making them the first government to be officially at war with both the Comintern and the Allies. It's a symbolic gesture as they don't have any troops or territory but it may be significant.
That's because, shortly afterwards, Hungary joined the war against the Allies. This seems a bit clumsy on their part, as they could have grabbed part of Yugoslavia and/or Greece if they had joined earlier, but it may also be that bored Finnish diplomats pulled them over the edge. I'm glad those Finnish enemies of the revolution have been dealt with in a relatively short time. Carry on."

It's now clear that more Mounted security comrades need to be trained, and training of the next Mounted Brigade started soon after the scale of the insurgency became apparent. In conclusion, much experience was gained during the counter-insurgency campaign, especially by our Air units, and damage to our own units and infrastructure was negligible, we may almost go as far as thanking the rebellion for providing a big live fire exercise with real moving targets, as well as a Casus Belli against Germany if we want it.

Greetings,

'Odin'​

If only defeating the Germans was to prove so simple.

Or I could take a leaf out of @Bullfilter 's book and add a 'Marrkur' character...
As long as the fellow is silver-headed, decrepit & grumpy...and very wise...sort-of.;)

"The world stage ... has been crazy today, ... I keep getting ... messages, ... maps, reports. ... Things are ... happening all ... over the place.... Let me catch ... my breath ... first, ... and I'll ... start ... from the ... beginning...
<LOL> Typewriters are type-tapping all over the world.:)

Bypassing Wake Island, the Imperial Japanese Navy has taken possession of Midway Island
The Bypass-Island-hop strategy...in action. "Forget Wake; Midway has Radar!":)