• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Bullfilter

Old Boardgame Grognard
29 Badges
Aug 31, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Well, you can increase their speed with mobile warfare, but that still only gives you 0,5 kph/upgrade, so 6 kph by 1944. So a 1944 HQ moves faster than cavalry, but that's about it.
I see potential then to simply mod (increase) the speed buff increments on the upgrade to simulate the required effect for Mech HQ speed ... or am I missing something there?
I agree that under human control it only makes sense to consolidate to save on leaders and/or officers.
My point was actually the opposite, with human control of HQs you can actually make them fight whereas with AI control it's largely a waste of the officers/MP/IC you spent on the attached brigades.
The circumstances are quite different, but with Turkey in my game, it was a mixture of both these points. There are significantly fewer generals available for the divisions fielded, even after the advent of 5 brigade divisions, so putting spare slower divisions in HQs made some sense there (normally slower stuff like militia, inf, AA or AT that were left over from the front line divs).

The other aspect was having relatively thin concentrations of units for the frontage covered, in defence and now in attack/breakthrough. Essentially, the corps HQs became rather useful secondary defence and even attacking formations that could bolster front line efforts. They have proved rather useful and quite effective in that regard.

They have also performed a holding function on occasion, particularly while waiting for the 5 brigade reorg, or for brigades to be produced that would be amalgamated into new divisions once there were enough of them.

But I suspect most of these factors would not really apply so much when playing big majors, where there’s an abundance of leaders and industry to generate the big battalions. It’s the first time I’d ever bothered using HQs so, and I’d definitely do it again in another game if similar circumstances arose.
If you need help to determine which vehicle or class fits where, I'd be glad to lend a hand and do some basic research.
Very kind. :) More below.
From my experience with submodding HPP, adjusting models and reconstructing OOBs and the like, it's rarely that one needs help so much as one needs time. The actual task is easy enough - look up all the hardware in the category of interest (e.g. armored cars), figure out which ones were the most-built and introduced in which years, and then pick those to fill each tech level. The problem tends to be, as just this description should imply, that this takes a tremendous amount of time even if all you're doing is copying information from various Wiki and WW2-nerd webpages into a spreadsheet. :eek:
Yes, time is the thing, for which the help is of course welcome. Similar with the famously zombie and poet-infested lists of ministers. :D But for assistance, my initial priority would be in play testing, anomaly/bug testing, play balancing, etc, for which I will indeed be inviting any interested parties to delve into should they wish, in whatever capacity and degree they may find interesting.
Which goes to say of course, I'd bet that our esteemable Aussie authAAR would appreciate the assistance (though I can't speak for him, of course), but be prepared to spend precious little of that assistance time being a sagacious expert on USSR hardware and entirely too much of that time Googling for production numbers of each sub-variant of a particular AC model... do I speak from experience? whistles innocently...
Haha, based on the above you could indeed be my press secretary! :D Regarding background ‘cosmetic’ research (minister and leader names, model and class numbers, etc) I might eventually get to those as well, perhaps starting with major powers (of which I’ve got about ten at present, in the ’pre-beta’ stage).

But until then, I’m just trying to go with what vanilla TFH provides or, for the new countries (dozens of them, currently) there are mass produced generic titles (General or Minister 1, 2 or 3, or A, B or C, etc), where invented names applicable to the country can be inserted at some later point. First, I want to construct the new world and then prove the playability. The naming stuff will be easier as it’s based on a widely divergent alt-history, with the departure point being sufficiently in the past that any name will do now, really.

Sorry for the digression, but as the subject was raised ;) ... other readAARs, please forgive me. o_O

• 1Like
Reactions:

Wraith11B

Call Kenny Loggins, you're in the DANGER ZONE...
39 Badges
Dec 5, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Darkest Hour
I'd imagine that at this point, we are pretty well the "HoI3 family" supporting each other throughout all of the AARs here. Speaking of, check your inbox!

• 2Like
Reactions:

roverS3

General
20 Badges
May 24, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
I'd say that HPP is like, say, Civ 4 ("A game is a series of interesting decisions") and BICE is like Dwarf Fortress with better graphics ("F**k you in extreme detail"). :p Both excellent mods/games but clearly catering to different tastes.
I had to look up Dwarf Fortress, but yes, an excellent parallel.

My point was actually the opposite, with human control of HQs you can actually make them fight whereas with AI control it's largely a waste of the officers/MP/IC you spent on the attached brigades. Granted, the hardening against enemy breakthroughs helps but the day I see an HoI3 AI effect a breakthrough against another AI, let alone a human, is the day El Pip updates Butterfly Effect twice in one day - it may have happened once upon a time, but it's not happening again.
I'm finding out more and more that the AI is bad at breakthroughs, even using mechanised formations. Hence the backpedalling on the size of the formations attached to HQ's...

I see potential then to simply mod (increase) the speed buff increments on the upgrade to simulate the required effect for Mech HQ speed ... or am I missing something there?
That would definitely be a simple way to deal with the issue. By doubling the speed increase per upgrade to +1, you can get an HQ which does 6 kph in 1940, and 8 kph in 1944. Of course you could go further, raising the increase to +1.5, which will give you 7 kph in 1940, and 10 kph in 1944, but that seems a bit too much, as the HQ would then be able to keep up with light armour and armoured cars.

The circumstances are quite different, but with Turkey in my game, it was a mixture of both these points. There are significantly fewer generals available for the divisions fielded, even after the advent of 5 brigade divisions, so putting spare slower divisions in HQs made some sense there (normally slower stuff like militia, inf, AA or AT that were left over from the front line divs).

The other aspect was having relatively thin concentrations of units for the frontage covered, in defence and now in attack/breakthrough. Essentially, the corps HQs became rather useful secondary defence and even attacking formations that could bolster front line efforts. They have proved rather useful and quite effective in that regard.

They have also performed a holding function on occasion, particularly while waiting for the 5 brigade reorg, or for brigades to be produced that would be amalgamated into new divisions once there were enough of them.

But I suspect most of these factors would not really apply so much when playing big majors, where there’s an abundance of leaders and industry to generate the big battalions. It’s the first time I’d ever bothered using HQs so, and I’d definitely do it again in another game if similar circumstances arose.
As you don't have enough leaders for your units as it stands, reducing the size of the command structure is a necessity, so a Turkey that's as successful as yours is pretty much forced to operate with units attached directly to it's HQ's. That doesn't really apply to the Soviet Union, as I've got more leaders than I know what to do with. Unless I only spam Militia or Infantry, I'll never run out, or so it seems. That said, there's still an argument to be made for spreading the benefits of the best leaders to the

Slightly behind, so please accept these delayed accolades for the carrier drawing. Most impressive. :)
Accolades enthusiastically accepted

Those poor, poor Slovaks. The A-304 was a fairly nasty bodge to try and turn an airliner into a bomber. It didn't work. The airframe was basically fine (weird upper turret not withstanding) but it was catastrophically slow. The Walter radials were to blame as they offensively low on power, hence the terrible speed and awful bomb load. And of course the Walter engines used BiBoLi, the instant fire risk liquid that the Czech's used instead of proper aviation fuel, I imagine a number of those A-304 casualties were nothing to do with the Soviets but were in fact cases of spontaneous combustion. In any event they only built less than two dozen in OTL, so the Soviets have managed to destroy 150% of total production of the aircraft, a fine achievement in anyone's book surely?

It was replaced by the A-300, because Aero and the Czechoslovakian Air Ministry sneer at conventional counting practices. Walter were told their engines were awful and the Czech treasury agreed to stump up the cash for some imports, the improved design stuck some proper Bristol Mercury IX engines on it and suddenly it was 100mph faster with triple the bomb load, which just goes to show the amazing difference a modern engine can make. Alas too much time had been wasted on the A-304 and sadly time had run out for Aero and indeed Czechoslovakia.
Thanks for this added insight into Czechoslovak Aircraft manufacturing. Vastly under-powered engines and sub-standard fuel will definitely ruin a good design, let alone a mediocre one. As for the numbers produced vs number in the game, it seems to me like several minor nations get way too many planes at the start. For example Hungary, with it's 3 wings CR.32 & CR.42's. (It fielded just 96 fighters at it's peak in 1941), but that's just one example.

From my experience with submodding HPP, adjusting models and reconstructing OOBs and the like, it's rarely that one needs help so much as one needs time. The actual task is easy enough - look up all the hardware in the category of interest (e.g. armored cars), figure out which ones were the most-built and introduced in which years, and then pick those to fill each tech level. The problem tends to be, as just this description should imply, that this takes a tremendous amount of time even if all you're doing is copying information from various Wiki and WW2-nerd webpages into a spreadsheet. :eek:
Yes, that's pretty much what I expected. I never meant to imply the task wasn't easy or required a special level of skill, just that we could share the load in case one of us decided to endeavour to fix all the model designations.

Which goes to say of course, I'd bet that our esteemable Aussie authAAR would appreciate the assistance (though I can't speak for him, of course), but be prepared to spend precious little of that assistance time being a sagacious expert on USSR hardware and entirely too much of that time Googling for production numbers of each sub-variant of a particular AC model... do I speak from experience? whistles innocently...
I already get to be a sagacious 'expert' on USSR hardware in my own AAR... And yes, I don't mind spending some time googling production figures for obscure sub-variants of vehicles, if that helps the end result.

Yes, time is the thing, for which the help is of course welcome. Similar with the famously zombie and poet-infested lists of ministers. :D But for assistance, my initial priority would be in play testing, anomaly/bug testing, play balancing, etc, for which I will indeed be inviting any interested parties to delve into should they wish, in whatever capacity and degree they may find interesting.
I certainly wouldn't mind playing some test games when it comes to that. I'll be looking out for that invite.

But until then, I’m just trying to go with what vanilla TFH provides or, for the new countries (dozens of them, currently) there are mass produced generic titles (General or Minister 1, 2 or 3, or A, B or C, etc), where invented names applicable to the country can be inserted at some later point. First, I want to construct the new world and then prove the playability. The naming stuff will be easier as it’s based on a widely divergent alt-history, with the departure point being sufficiently in the past that any name will do now, really.
Interesting, so a bunch of new countries derived from history. You had my curiosity, but now you've got my attention.

Sorry for the digression, but as the subject was raised ;) ... other readAARs, please forgive me. o_O
Digressions are welcome, especially as the subject was raised.

I'd imagine that at this point, we are pretty well the "HoI3 family" supporting each other throughout all of the AARs here.
The Hoi3 Family, I like that, and I do share the feeling.

• 1Love
Reactions:

nuclearslurpee

Radioactive Frozen Beverage
27 Badges
Jan 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Darkest Hour
I'd imagine that at this point, we are pretty well the "HoI3 family" supporting each other throughout all of the AARs here. Speaking of, check your inbox!
The Hoi3 Family, I like that, and I do share the feeling.
I'd certainly do Christmas invade Poland with you fellows. :p

• 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions: