• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Forgot there were actually two wargames, so I was referring to both.

Zhukov did indeed make an impression, as afterward Stalin sacked Meretskov and made Zhukov Chief of Staff.

Ah, lots of progress! The bells of war toll ever louder. The inevitable fall of both Yugoslavia and Greece will no doubt free a rather sizable amount of Axis troops, meaning they could potentially deploy enough troops to North Africa or Norway (if they have the transports) to finish off either one of those theaters, but most likely they will be redeployed against the Red Army in preparation for a full-scale invasion. Let us hope the British can stabilize the lines in Egypt, if Suez were to fall it would be a massive coup for the Axis.

Zhukov did indeed make an impression, as afterward Stalin sacked Meretskov and made Zhukov Chief of Staff.
In this ATL Shaposhnikov is Chief of Staff. But interestingly, ATL Zhukov is Armaments Minister and General in charge of 2ya Tankovaya Armiya... there will be a reshuffle when war breaks out though as we can't have commanders in the field who also hold cabinet positions (the chief of the Army can be an active Field Marshall though...), maybe in peacetime, but not in wartime, and anyway we might need other bonuses when at war...

Ah, lots of progress! The bells of war toll ever louder. The inevitable fall of both Yugoslavia and Greece will no doubt free a rather sizable amount of Axis troops, meaning they could potentially deploy enough troops to North Africa or Norway (if they have the transports) to finish off either one of those theaters, but most likely they will be redeployed against the Red Army in preparation for a full-scale invasion. Let us hope the British can stabilize the lines in Egypt, if Suez were to fall it would be a massive coup for the Axis.
Yugoslavia isn't long for this world. I still believe the Germans don't have any transports left to ship troops to Norway... not so sure about the Italians, they lost a few, but they might have more... I think Crete might be an indicator of Italian capabilities, as a naval invasion of the island to finish of Greece would prove that the Italians still have, at least, some amphibious capabilities. I do think you are correct in the assumption that the vast majority of German troops, if not the vast majority of Axis troops, currently in the Balkans will find their way to the Soviet Border... The British just need to get it together, their navy is mostly intact, and Egypt is the only active front of any significance they have. They could easily ship in reinforcements from anywhere in their empire and put together a real offensive driving the Italians back into Libya. My guess is that they'll ship in units, and especially bombers, once El Iskandarîya is under threat again, and as soon as the front stabilises they'll lose interest...

Good tech advances and the Axis ascendant everywhere except in crucial Ethiopia ;). Nice historical nod, as others have mentioned. The forces of evil gather their might.

Due to the Kiuruvesi debacle
The entire story you created in explanation was very good Comrade. Again, well done. One comment, I had a little difficulty in reading that well-crafted OOB-screen; I suggest a stronger contrast between the two hues.

Anyway, great job as usual...ready for the big-show soon to appear.

Good tech advances and the Axis ascendant everywhere except in crucial Ethiopia ;).
Ethiopia is only the start of their problems...

One comment, I had a little difficulty in reading that well-crafted OOB-screen; I suggest a stronger contrast between the two hues.
I assume you're talking about the red lettering on the Yellow rectangles... Yes... it looked readable while I was working on it, zoomed in, but once I exported it and looked at it again I noticed that the contrast was somewhat underwhelming... It would, however, be a lot of work to fix (to easily move the rectangles around I didn't keep the text in a separate layer... so I'd have to re-write all the text, line it all up, and repaint all of the rectangles yellow...), so I'll use a better hue of red next time... and maybe I'll replace this one then...

The forces of evil gather their might.
ready for the big-show soon to appear.
So they do...So we are (we'd like to think so anyway...)

I assume you're talking about the red lettering on the Yellow rectangles... Yes... it looked readable while I was working on it, zoomed in, but once I exported it and looked at it again I noticed that the contrast was somewhat underwhelming... It would, however, be a lot of work to fix (to easily move the rectangles around I didn't keep the text in a separate layer... so I'd have to re-write all the text, line it all up, and repaint all of the rectangles yellow...), so I'll use a better hue of red next time... and maybe I'll replace this one then...
To be clear...no not either color but the combination of the two. I've done the very same and honestly I did think it could be my aged-eyes but since they are the best survivor of my lengthy-decades<LOL> I thought I should say something to assist your excellent effort comrade.

A tip for all readers; Since I bumped into a color-tool few years ago, I'll mention it in case there is someone as ignorant as I was regarding the color-wheel. I found it was indeed a handy reference tool to initially select colors that highlighted each other in complimentary fashion. I used it for oil-painting but of course it is meant for color contrast.:)

To be clear...no not either colour but the combination of the two. I've done the very same and honestly I did think it could be my aged-eyes but since they are the best survivor of my lengthy-decades<LOL> I thought I should say something to assist your excellent effort comrade.
I'll change the colour of the text, as the colour of the rectangles was deliberately chosen to be somewhat complementary to the standard forum background and, IMO it works in that respect... (yellow for the Soviet flag, but close to orange, as it should be orange following the colour wheel, yes I know the colour wheel, but I don't always follow it...) I picked bright red for the text to remain within the Soviet Yellow and Red theme... but it should have been closer to purple, as purple is highlighted by yellow... Orangeish yellow and bright red are just too close for comfort... I just didn't think that one through now, did I. It was I who wasn't clear enough...Thanks for sharing the knowledge, and for your assistance, now I will have your 'voice' in my head whenever I select colours, and I won't make this kind of bad jugement again, fingers crossed...

Great to know you do oil painting... I've dabbled a bit in watercolours... but somehow, I always have something else to do, and water colours need time, and expensive paint... It was so relaxing to have a university course where we could choose to learn to do watercolours for 4 straight hours every week for a semester, not feeling guilty about not working for other courses etc... Maybe when I retire...
All right, that's it. I'm planning my retirement.:D And I haven't even started working full time yet...:rolleyes: Go figure...

... Maybe when I retire...
All right, that's it. I'm planning my retirement.:D And I haven't even started working full time yet...:rolleyes: Go figure...
Heh - am on the bus home after my last day at work :D. And I have no plans, just broad objectives ;) Not needing a plan is the beauty of it :cool:

I just didn't think that one through now, did I. It was I who wasn't clear enough...Thanks for sharing the knowledge, and for your assistance, now I will have your 'voice' in my head whenever I select colours, and I won't make this kind of bad jugement again, fingers crossed...

Great to know you do oil painting... I've dabbled a bit in watercolours... but somehow, I always have something else to do, and water colours need time, and expensive paint... It was so relaxing to have a university course where we could choose to learn to do watercolours for 4 straight hours every week for a semester, not feeling guilty about not working for other courses etc... Maybe when I retire...
Just make sure if you do hear a whisper it is a kind Gandalf.<L> And I do hope it is words casting the spell...trial and error is the path for us all.;)

I hesitate to share these because most of my word-art and nearly all of my music-art and whatever-else-Art has been a private indulgence or secret-vice as JRRT called it, but here are two items I share only for inspiration.

First-up. is something I've enjoyed of late and it defies the saying "old dogs cannot learn new tricks" (as if Grandma Moses didn't already make that clear). This is done in MS-Paint and instead of Oil etc. I am exploring pixel-art. It was and is not easy but I do know there are tools for this medium that can make what I do a hell of a lot easier but money talks and need walks.
Moonshadows.png

The second comes with the cheap price-tag of a dash of sage-advice. I came into Art (other than poetry & music) very late in life and I learned some things I never expected to know. What follows is a pencil-drawing and it is the result of my love of the outdoors I've had all my days. I learned to be skilled in all aspects of hunting because I think no man should be ignorant of such knowledge but in my silver days, I did it all over but with a camera in hand. Idea: take a camera with you and take some snaps of what do deem scenic and take them home and practice drawing them free-hand with pencils only. <imvho> All painting should focus on mastering the use of shades of light and dark; so I do not think there is a better foundation for color-Art than learning that skill by using only shades of B&W to create a scene. The top pic is a later extension - even when done quickly.

Wallace SP.jpg

This is a drawing of pic from a State-Park not far distant.

Cheers rover. ps savor everyday Comrade.​

Heh - am on the bus home after my last day at work :D. And I have no plans, just broad objectives ;) Not needing a plan is the beauty of it :cool:
I wish I was next-door I give you that clock where all the hours were sitting at the bottom of the face.:D

I hesitate to share these
But I’m glad you did! :)

This is done in MS-Paint and instead of Oil etc. I am exploring pixel-art. It was and is not easy
I look at that and rhetorically wonder either how you did it or how long it took you to do it :confused: (it’s ok you don’t need to answer - the artist should retain his mystery ;)). I’ll bet it wasn’t easy.

What follows is a pencil-drawing and it is the result of my love of the outdoors I've had all my days ... This is a drawing of pic from a State-Park not far distant.
lovely mate - the work and effort transmits that love very authentically. I’ll bet too when you look at it, it also evokes those smells, sounds and feelings that you can only get from being out in what we would call ‘the bush’. :cool:
I wish I was next-door I give you that clock where all the hours were sitting at the bottom of the face.:D
Heh! After 40+ years working in a place that prizes and demands planning so comprehensively, there is a delicious indolence in not being compelled to do it. I certainly won’t escape it and it is imbued in me, but for now I’m luxuriating in not having to concern myself with it. Honestly, I think it will take some months before it truly sinks in. :)

Congratulations on your retirement... now you'll be posting even more updates to three AARs? Or will you be starting another one to fill the time?
Well, I guess saying I'll be picking up watercolours in earnest is probably more of a broad objective, but still, it seems a bit weird to be even that specific at my age...

I hesitate to share these because most of my word-art and nearly all of my music-art and whatever-else-Art has been a private indulgence or secret-vice as JRRT called it, but here are two items I share only for inspiration.
Thank you for sharing them here.

I really like the simplicity of your paint drawing... In any way, the future of art is going in a virtual direction, with more and more visual artists and graphic designers turning to tablets big and small to draw, mixing hand draw elements with computer-based editing.

I have to say, your trees look better than most of the ones I've drawn over the years, and I've had three years of drawing lessons (in one form or another, including watercolours, nude drawing, comic style drawing,...) within my curriculum... of course most of my drawing classes were more focused on buildings and structures, but still, those are some very nice trees... not overly detailed, but with the lighting just right, and the branches actually look like branches. The detail levels are also well managed with a nice progression from detailed to far away. I'm impressed, and I've seen a lot of good drawings.

take a camera with you and take some snaps of what do deem scenic and take them home and practice drawing them free-hand with pencils only. <imvho> All painting should focus on mastering the use of shades of light and dark; so I do not think there is a better foundation for color-Art than learning that skill by using only shades of B&W to create a scene. The top pic is a later extension - even when done quickly.
About using a camera... it's a great way to get started, but things become really interesting <imo> once you sit down and take 10 minutes to an hour to draw what you see before you, just pencil, paper, and the actual subject of your drawing... to make things more exciting, I usually use a pen or a marker, so I only have one shot... I actually draw better with a marker because a pencil lures me into a sense of "I can always rub that out if I mess up..."... That's something I really like about playing music as well, you play. When you make a mistake, you don't have time to correct it, to rub it out, once it's played it's played, and if you mess up during a performance, you need to move on, and immediately concentrate on what follows, or you'll just stop playing and that just ruins everything... Drawing with something you can't erase is the same, if (when, in my case) you mess up, you move on, integrate the mistake in the drawing, then, if you're not satisfied, you can always start over.:D

the artist should retain his mystery ;)
Well, you'd be surprised how quickly skilled artists (something I don't really consider myself to be when it comes to drawing) create a passable drawing... a good e one like the one above though... that can take a little longer...:cool:

My drawings do often get very messy, which is only one of the reasons (The other being time) I don't draw by hand anymore for the presentation of my projects. Maybe, when I have time, I'll draw something for this AAR... who knows, the Kiyv-Class Carrier in action?... The mysterious compound of the Secret Committee?...

Heh! After 40+ years working in a place that prizes and demands planning so comprehensively, there is a delicious indolence in not being compelled to do it. I certainly won’t escape it and it is imbued in me, but for now I’m luxuriating in not having to concern myself with it. Honestly, I think it will take some months before it truly sinks in. :)
Good luck improvising your retirement, I'm sure it'll be great... As planning in my university's architecture faculty is something of a disaster, and people seem to have no problems arriving 30 mins or more after any rendez-vous... I actually yearn for some quality planning, which may be part of why I play HOI3... It's not that I don't like improvising, or that I'm not good at it, it's just that I don't like being compelled to do it...;)

Well put on all counts Rover: any drawing you do will be interesting - a Kiev in action could blend your technical line drawing with the more freehand drawing of action as well. And it (or aircraft carriers in general) has become emblematic of your Odin-driven SU. A Kiev-class AAR! :D

You have already done some impressive image mashes in past episodes. I’d be very interested in seeing you turn an educated hand to some freehand drawing for the AAR: I’m sure it would enrich it and might be a good hobby-like side-Line to what is about to become an epic tale of struggle on the grand scale. Out of interest, has your drawing background (as I think you imply) also delved into drawing people? Could be interesting once the Great Patriotic War starts. ;)

But also, we shouldn’t impose and you shouldn’t feel pressured into feeling obliged to do such so regularly it gets in the way of study or the production of the AAR. Leave that indulgence to retired old codgers with time on their hands - and yes, retirement will give metime to finish off France, keep Turkey moving along and see how far the Rurikids can go! As for a new project, I have something in mind, but two big AARs is plenty to be going on with. :)

My dear roverS3,

First off, sincere appreciation for your supportive and kind response. Ftr, it dawned on me, that I have been in my self regulated habit of staying very narrow in sharing thoughts. However, with Paradox, adding the marvelous tool of chapters-breaks, <bravo!> which allowed authors to earmarkkur;) updates, I could have ditched the worry of straying too far from the story-line. Yes, this Greybeard is fairly resistant to change; some might say stubborn.

Btw, had I known your background I doubt I would have inflicted my solo-dart into Art.;) Brings to mind, our US vets commenting on D-day. "If we had known what we were wading-into, most of us would have stayed on the LCTs." Now that's an eye-opener.

But I’m glad you did! :)
Thanks man...you can now better enjoy adventures. I know you'll make the most of this change o' pace.

I look at that and rhetorically wonder either how you did it or how long it took you to do it :confused: (it’s ok you don’t need to answer - the artist should retain his mystery ;)). I’ll bet it wasn’t easy.
I agree completely...but only for other dabblers.:) Easy? You're correct, the word does not work; maybe Experience = faster-quick.<LOL> The color-drawing I did in a couple of hours tops...maybe an hour. That exercise was all about the "custom-colors slider". If I was a young-buck I would have spend the time to max-zoom and triple the graduation but the back says forget that jack...here too.;)

lovely mate - the work and effort transmits that love very authentically. I’ll bet too when you look at it, it also evokes those smells, sounds and feelings that you can only get from being out in what we would call ‘the bush’. :cool:
Enjoyed that wisdom because it struck a chord with the old meaning behind "sister-art". i.e. Your comment is correct and it called to mind, the very same "fact" when I have read poems from long ago. Whatever, we invest our minds, we leave something of our spirits deep inside...eh?:) Btw, whenever I see Black-soil in-game...yeah...you know the smell of rich-loam. Pro-tip: Never break a bottle of Red-Fox cover-scent inside a store...without being able to film the faces that next walk into the area.:oops::cool:
So true but this time you'll not be relaxing just when the vacation comes to an end but you get to hang-out as long as you want.:D

Well, I guess saying I'll be picking up watercolours in earnest is probably more of a broad objective, but still, it seems a bit weird to be even that specific at my age...
I like that idea. Always wanted to explore multi-mediums much more thoroughly.

Thank you for sharing them here.

I really like the simplicity of your paint drawing... In any way, the future of art is going in a virtual direction, with more and more visual artists and graphic designers turning to tablets big and small to draw, mixing hand draw elements with computer-based editing.
You are a blessed young man Comrade. This not-so grandfather...hopes you will hang on to the old and new and tenaciously celebrate both.

I fear that one day minds will have no way to relate to the experience of walking into an old stone castle, (Public-library) and enjoy the musty aroma of shelves and shelves of Tomes & Scrolls that allow the explorer to utilize his or her browser and take hard-cover history in-hand.:cool:

I have to say, your trees look better than most of the ones I've drawn over the years, and I've had three years of drawing lessons (in one form or another, including watercolours, nude drawing, comic style drawing,...) within my curriculum... of course most of my drawing classes were more focused on buildings and structures, but still, those are some very nice trees... not overly detailed, but with the lighting just right, and the branches actually look like branches. The detail levels are also well managed with a nice progression from detailed to far away. I'm impressed, and I've seen a lot of good drawings.
Enjoyed that critique very much. If you like my trees, you should see my rocks.:D Honestly, I have no idea why but rock-surface and textures have been the greatest challenge and satisfaction. Might be because I play Hard-rock.:p

About using a camera... it's a great way to get started, but things become really interesting <imo> once you sit down and take 10 minutes to an hour to draw what you see before you, just pencil, paper, and the actual subject of your drawing... to make things more exciting, I usually use a pen or a marker, so I only have one shot... I actually draw better with a marker because a pencil lures me into a sense of "I can always rub that out if I mess up..."... That's something I really like about playing music as well, you play. When you make a mistake, you don't have time to correct it, to rub it out, once it's played it's played, and if you mess up during a performance, you need to move on, and immediately concentrate on what follows, or you'll just stop playing and that just ruins everything... Drawing with something you can't erase is the same, if (when, in my case) you mess up, you move on, integrate the mistake in the drawing, then, if you're not satisfied, you can always start over.:D
Dude...you are sage beyond your years. About the camera...you are spot-on. Honestly, I have to admit, it completely escaped my notice that I gave you the method a dragon-munched-artist can use.<L>

You likely know this already...but If you have not seen Alan Lee's LoTR-sketchbook...own it. From a great distance, that guy seems like a natural inspiration towards the way you describe yourself, desire etc.

Well, you'd be surprised how quickly skilled artists (something I don't really consider myself to be when it comes to drawing) create a passable drawing... a good e one like the one above though... that can take a little longer...:cool:
Absolutely. I was blown away by the ability that pixels, zoom, etc affords deep-levels to an Artist. Many years later, I see just how early game graphic-artists used these abilities back-then. Of course...I did not nor will I ever catch-up.

Maybe, when I have time, I'll draw something for this AAR... who knows, the Kiyv-Class Carrier in action?... The mysterious compound of the Secret Committee?
Maybe, when I have time, I'll draw something for this AAR... who knows, the Kiyv-Class Carrier in action?... The mysterious compound of the Secret Committee? No demands but certainly a request.:) As a ex-R&R DJ, requests are a very good thing.<L> When Gato & Fan came near those blowing-curtains, <imo> that quick far less than serious art...was quite fun (idea involving two mediums) and provided modest support for the scene.

Make it Great!

Btw, had I known your background I doubt I would have inflicted my solo-dart into Art.;) Brings to mind, our US vets commenting on D-day. "If we had known what we were wading-into, most of us would have stayed on the LCTs." Now that's an eye-opener.
Nice metaphor, but I assure you I'm by no means the equivalent of a D-Day beach when it comes to my drawing... Also, to stretch the metaphor beyond it's limit: If the US soldiers had stayed on their LCT's, they wouldn't have exchanged fire with the Germans...

Pro-tip: Never break a bottle of Red-Fox cover-scent inside a store...without being able to film the faces that next walk into the area.:oops::cool:
You had me laughing, and I have no idea how Red-Fox cover scent even smells...

You are a blessed young man Comrade. This not-so grandfather...hopes you will hang on to the old and new and tenaciously celebrate both.
I fear that one day minds will have no way to relate to the experience of walking into an old stone castle, (Public-library) and enjoy the musty aroma of shelves and shelves of Tomes & Scrolls that allow the explorer to utilize his or her browser and take hard-cover history in-hand.:cool:
Well, I try to strike a balance between old and new, both have good parts and bad parts, the hard part is keeping the good (and not the bad) from the old, and rejecting the bad (and not the good) from the new...and even that is a simplification... I do still spend some time in the University library, and when I was a curious little kid without a computer, I spent a lot of time in the local library. But nowadays, looking for books goes through the laptop and my University's special search engine, which includes the University library, online publications, libraries from other universities,... It has happened for me to find myself in the library, looking for information and reference, only to find it in a series of pdfs available online through the system, and not in one of the hundreds, if not thousands of books and magazines around me...

Enjoyed that critique very much. If you like my trees, you should see my rocks.:D Honestly, I have no idea why but rock-surface and textures have been the greatest challenge and satisfaction. Might be because I play Hard-rock.:p
Interesting, I have had to draw a couple of rocks for a course about 2 years ago, but I think I lost those drawings. I do remember it to be a lot trickier than expected... those surface textures...:mad:;)

I have to admit, it completely escaped my notice that I gave you the method a dragon-munched-artist can use.<L>
It is still a widely used and very useful technique (I use it too, from time to time, and for specific applications)... but, see above...

You likely know this already...but If you have not seen Alan Lee's LoTR-sketchbook...own it. From a great distance, that guy seems like a natural inspiration towards the way you describe yourself, desire etc.
Well, I haven't seen that, I'll be sure to check it out

Absolutely. I was blown away by the ability that pixels, zoom, etc affords deep-levels to an Artist. Many years later, I see just how early game graphic-artists used these abilities back-then. Of course...I did not nor will I ever catch-up.
I don't believe I will ever catch up either, these things move so fast that, if you don't constantly follow new releases and developments, you're bound to lag behind. And then there is the problem of the cost of tools... I prefer to work with open source alternatives, and these already lag behind in functionality compared with full price software. For example, I might be the only student in my year who actively uses Draftsight instead of Autocad as my basic CAD software... Point being that I don't want to be dependent on very expensive subscription based software for anything.

You have already done some impressive image mashes in past episodes. I’d be very interested in seeing you turn an educated hand to some freehand drawing for the AAR: I’m sure it would enrich it and might be a good hobby-like side-Line to what is about to become an epic tale of struggle on the grand scale. Out of interest, has your drawing background (as I think you imply) also delved into drawing people? Could be interesting once the Great Patriotic War starts. ;)
A Kiev in action could blend your technical line drawing with the more freehand drawing of action as well. And it (or aircraft carriers in general) has become emblematic of your Odin-driven SU. A Kiev-class AAR! :D
No demands but certainly a request.:) As a ex-R&R DJ, requests are a very good thing.<L> When Gato & Fan came near those blowing-curtains, <imo> that quick far less than serious art...was quite fun (idea involving two mediums) and provided modest support for the scene.
I sadly don't have the productive time right now to draw an elaborate drawing of the things I suggested above, but keep an eye out for drawings, they might just pop up, contingent upon productive time, whether I feel like it, and whether I think the story warrants them... I have more ideas for possible drawings, but I won't spoil the (possible) surprise.

But also, we shouldn’t impose and you shouldn’t feel pressured into feeling obliged to do such so regularly it gets in the way of study or the production of the AAR. Leave that indulgence to retired old codgers with time on their hands
That's not pressure, that's encouragement, a distinction many a University teacher could have a better grasp on, unless the whole point of University is to heap on pressure for the sake of it, then most seem to perfectly understand how that works...

Retirement will give me time to finish off France, keep Turkey moving along and see how far the Rurikids can go! As for a new project, I have something in mind, but two big AARs is plenty to be going on with. :)
I'm sure it's plenty...

Ftr, it dawned on me, that I have been in my self regulated habit of staying very narrow in sharing thoughts. However, with Paradox, adding the marvelous tool of chapters-breaks, <bravo!> which allowed authors to earmarkkur;) updates, I could have ditched the worry of straying too far from the story-line. Yes, this Greybeard is fairly resistant to change; some might say stubborn.
I particularly enjoy the earmarkkur pun, and feature... Well, you're not as resistant to change as you think... these last few comments are proof of that...

17th of March 1941, 'Tri', Call about the end of Yugoslavia and US National Emergency declaration
The 17th of March 1941, near Vologda, -2,3°C, 7:30am Moscow Time,

The exact moment I entered my office this morning, the telephone on my desk rang, as I was about half an hour earlier than usual, a call was unexpected... and I'm sure you guessed it already... it was 'Tri', again, a lot is happening in the world:

" 'Morning... not necessarily a 'good' morning as such though... I have sad news, Sarajevo has fallen during the night. This event was followed shortly by the escape of the Yugoslav Government to Crete, and later, Egypt. The Yugoslav army surrendered this morning.

YAXW41-03-16-min-min.png

Right: Yugoslavia, just before the unconditional surrender of it's remaining armed forces. Left: German troops having a parade in the streets of Sarajevo.
Yugoslavia has been divided up between Germany, Italy and Bulgaria, with Germany taking the biggest chunk, including the cities of Sarajevo, Beograd, Split, and Zagreb. Italy takes Ljubljana and Skopje. Bulgaria gets Prisitina, but they must feel short-changed as they didn't get Beograd, which they were really close to capturing.

YAXW41-03-17-min.jpeg

An 'interesting' way to divide up Yugoslavia...
I've also been monitoring the international response to this Axis victory, and besides the usual, boring, and predictable diplomatic statements, US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt addressed the nation last night when it became clear that Yugoslavia would fall. The minutes-long radio broadcast, here, I'll quote some outtakes:

It starts off promisingly with hints at military spending:

"
The pressing problems that confront us are military and naval problems. We cannot afford to approach them from the point of view of wishful thinkers or sentimentalists. What we face is cold, hard fact."
Then, it gets better, he demonises Hitler and speculates on his intentions:

"Adolf Hitler never considered the domination of Europe as an end in itself. European conquest was but a step toward ultimate goals in all the other continents. It is unmistakably apparent to all of us that, unless the advance of Hitlerism is forcibly checked now, the Western Hemisphere will be within range of the Nazi weapons of destruction."
warning of an Axis surprise attack on the Americas:

"To the people of the Americas, a triumphant Hitler would say, as he said after the seizure of Austria, and as he said after Munich, and as he said after the seizure of Czechoslovakia: "I am now completely satisfied. This is the last territorial readjustment I will seek." And he would of course add: "All we want is peace, friendship, and profitable trade relations with you in the New World."

He then proceeded to bang the drum of his navy

"Since 1799, 142 years ago, when our infant Navy made the West Indies and the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico safe for American ships; since 1804 and 1805 when we made all peaceful commerce safe from the depredations of the Barbary pirates; since the War of 1812, which was fought for the preservation of sailors' rights; since 1867, when our sea power made it possible for the Mexicans to expel the French Army of Louis Napoleon, we have striven and fought in defense of freedom of the seas for our own shipping, for the commerce of our sister Republics, for the right of all Nations to use the highways of world trade—and for our own safety."

re-iterated warnings of German belligerrence

"The attack on Czechoslovakia began with the conquest of Austria. The attack on Norway began with the occupation of Denmark. The attack on Greece began with occupation of Albania and Bulgaria. The attack on the Suez Canal began with the invasion of the Balkans and North Africa, and the attack on the United States can begin with the domination of any base which menaces our security—north or south."
But finally, he announces the US's commitment,

"First, we shall actively resist wherever necessary, and with all our resources, every attempt by Hitler to extend his Nazi domination to the Western Hemisphere, or to threaten it. We shall actively resist his every attempt to gain control of the seas. We insist upon the vital importance of keeping Hitlerism away from any point in the world which could be used or would be used as a base of attack against the Americas.

Second, from the point of view of strict naval and military necessity, we shall give every possible assistance to Britain and to all who, with Britain, are resisting Hitlerism or its equivalent with force of arms. Our patrols are helping now to insure delivery of the needed supplies to Britain. All additional measures necessary to deliver the goods will be taken. Any and all further methods or combination of methods, which can or should be utilized, are being devised by our military and naval technicians, who, with me, will work out and put into effect such new and additional safeguards as may be needed.

I say that the delivery of needed supplies to Britain is imperative. I say that this can be done; it must be done; and it will be done."
and concludes on a declaration of emergency:

"Therefore, with profound consciousness of my responsibilities to my countrymen and to my country's cause, I have tonight issued a proclamation that an unlimited national emergency exists and requires the strengthening of our defense to the extreme limit of our national power and authority"
In the short term that is all very good news... A USA that quickly becomes more militarised, more interventionist, and more supportive of Britain should keep the Germans on their toes. This means that in case they attack the Soviet Union, the Third Reich will need to keep some force on standby in Western Europe to counter possible Allied landings, which, with overt or covert US help could become a real thorn in their side if they are fully committed in the east. On the other hand, there is the problem that with the sizeable American Industry producing ever more weapons, the Capitalists of this world will be harder to overwhelm for the Red Army when the time comes to free the world's proletariat. Was more US involvement worth the loss of Yugoslavia? For the Alllies the answer is probably yes, but for the Comintern it's not so clear cut. US rearmament, and pressure on the Axis are good for our survival, but bad for our prospects of final victory. Bye now..."

'Tri' does make some good points, adding in some more information I got from different departments I made my own analysis

Our Industry is on a full wartime footing, more than even considered possible during peacetime, the American industry seems to indicate similar production numbers to ours, without such drastic measures as those imposed on our own industry. It is highly likely that they will be able to out-produce us to a significant margin once they really get involved. Therefore, the ideal would be that the Germans fell constantly threatened by possible US interventions, putting in place contingency plans with units we then won't have to fight. But also that the USA never actually joins the war or puts it's industry on a full wartime footing. In other words, the US has to bark very loudly but hold back it's bite for us to take the biggest potential advantage of the situation in the short term and the long term respectively.

Another day, another new development, I'm going to get back to work now. Vosem' has helpfully sent over a blueprint for a new type of Soviet Bomber, larger than anything before it... I believe we'll soon get to see a prototype...

Greetings,

'Odin'

The full text of Roosevelt's 27th of May 1941 radio announcement can be found on the University of California Santa Barbara's Presidency Project website: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/pid=16120

The US joining in could be a problem. But it is one thing to talk about joining the UK against Germany. But it is another to do it. They will need time and their "Capital" to reach the readiness and military forces needed to threaten Germany.

Tri makes some very good points indeed! But the Secret Committee may be in luck: if the best case is for the US to “bark loudly” but not do anything, then this is the game for you! :D:D Talking loudly, while carrying a big stick that is never actually used seems the most likely AI US course of all! :rolleyes:

A very interesting development. My best guess would be that unless the Japanese start challenging the US in the Pacific, they may well remain in their position as cheerleaders and waterboys, evidently a far more preferable outcome than them actually dusting off the uniforms and rifles for the longer term. On the other hand, should our preparations prove... insufficient, a US intervention might be what saves the day, unsavory as the thought is. The crux is Japan; a sizable invasion from the East as well as the West could force us to seek support from the capitalists, but on the other hand the Japanese imperialists may draw the ire of the US onto themselves if they get too ambitious, putting themselves out of contention quite effectively. What's the latest intel on Japan?

The US joining in could be a problem. But it is one thing to talk about joining the UK against Germany. But it is another to do it. They will need time and their "Capital" to reach the readiness and military forces needed to threaten Germany.
Tri makes some very good points indeed! But the Secret Committee may be in luck: if the best case is for the US to “bark loudly” but not do anything, then this is the game for you! :D:D Talking loudly, while carrying a big stick that is never actually used seems the most likely AI US course of all! :rolleyes:
A very interesting development. My best guess would be that unless the Japanese start challenging the US in the Pacific, they may well remain in their position as cheerleaders and waterboys, evidently a far more preferable outcome than them actually dusting off the uniforms and rifles for the longer term.
The crux is Japan; a sizable invasion from the East as well as the West could force us to seek support from the capitalists, but on the other hand the Japanese imperialists may draw the ire of the US onto themselves if they get too ambitious, putting themselves out of contention quite effectively. What's the latest intel on Japan?
Let's hope things remain this way and the US keeps making threats but ultimately stays out of Europe. (Maybe this is the game for me...). We would welcome US Navy involvement in the Pacific though, many people from Leningrad to Vladivostok would sleep better if Japan reduced it's forces on our Far Eastern border.

On the other hand, should our preparations prove... insufficient, a US intervention might be what saves the day, unsavory as the thought is.
Let's all hope it doesn't come to that...

What's the latest intel on Japan?
What intel? The Kampetai dispatched with our short-lived Japan mission back in February 1939. All we know is that most of the IJA is sitting on our Far Eastern border:eek:

We keep hoping Japan will do something stupid...:rolleyes: Keep calm, and hope Japan does something incredibly stupid...:cool: