• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
hm... not sure, but have you deleted the distance-files?
there are several .tbl files in the map dir. Not 100% sure which it was... I guess navaldist2.tbl and airdist.tbl

If you delete these, the game redo them if you start a new scenario. Need from time to time up to 5 min (game does not crash, just dont finish loading), but should fix your issue.

I feel stupid asking this question because I know I modified this in the past. But I want to increase the number of brigades a battlecruiser can have. I'm sure in the past I did this by modifying brigades per division in the actual divisions .txt file and there used to be a specific line reading something like this: max_allowed_brigades = 4

But I can't find that line anywhere in the division_types file or the battlecruiser file. I checked mods, DH, DH full, etc and cannot find that line. I do see the lines for which brigades are allowed to be attached, but not the max number for each individual unit. I know there's a blanket entry in the misc. text that increases the number of brigades for every land unit. But I just want to modify battlecruisers.

I know I've done this change in the past, but it's been years. What am I missing?

I know I've done this change in the past, but it's been years. What am I missing?
Its the division file itself, not in divisions.txt. You need to add it there and then set how many allowed brigades you want.

Here's how I do it in d_rsv_33.txt in FODD:

Code:
# MODEL_33_

allowed_brigades = anti_air
allowed_brigades = anti_tank
allowed_brigades = artillery
allowed_brigades = engineer
allowed_brigades = light_armor_brigade
allowed_brigades = police
allowed_brigades = rocket_artillery
allowed_brigades = sp_rct_artillery
allowed_brigades = super_heavy_artillery
allowed_brigades = b_rsv_36

max_allowed_brigades = 2

model = {
    cost = 0
}
#    Powered Marines - 1
model = {
    cost                            =  30
    buildtime                        =  170
    manpower                        =  4
    maxspeed                        =  5
    defaultorganisation                =  75
    morale                            =  45
    defensiveness                    =  90
    toughness                        =  80
    softness                        =  50
    suppression                        =  8
    airdefence                        = 160
    softattack                        =  32
    hardattack                        =  8
    airattack                        =  8
    transportweight                    =  6
    supplyconsumption                =  3
    fuelconsumption                    =  3
    speed_cap_art                    =  5
    upgrade_time_factor                =  1
    upgrade_cost_factor                =  1
    d_rsv_33 = -2
    equipment = { manpower = 100 }
}

My memory sucks so I swear I once heard that naval units can only have a single brigade no matter what, but that may be faulty memory. Just test it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Its the division file itself, not in divisions.txt. You need to add it there and then set how many allowed brigades you want.

Here's how I do it in d_rsv_33.txt in FODD:

Code:
# MODEL_33_

allowed_brigades = anti_air
allowed_brigades = anti_tank
allowed_brigades = artillery
allowed_brigades = engineer
allowed_brigades = light_armor_brigade
allowed_brigades = police
allowed_brigades = rocket_artillery
allowed_brigades = sp_rct_artillery
allowed_brigades = super_heavy_artillery
allowed_brigades = b_rsv_36

max_allowed_brigades = 2

model = {
    cost = 0
}
#    Powered Marines - 1
model = {
    cost                            =  30
    buildtime                        =  170
    manpower                        =  4
    maxspeed                        =  5
    defaultorganisation                =  75
    morale                            =  45
    defensiveness                    =  90
    toughness                        =  80
    softness                        =  50
    suppression                        =  8
    airdefence                        = 160
    softattack                        =  32
    hardattack                        =  8
    airattack                        =  8
    transportweight                    =  6
    supplyconsumption                =  3
    fuelconsumption                    =  3
    speed_cap_art                    =  5
    upgrade_time_factor                =  1
    upgrade_cost_factor                =  1
    d_rsv_33 = -2
    equipment = { manpower = 100 }
}

My memory sucks so I swear I once heard that naval units can only have a single brigade no matter what, but that may be faulty memory. Just test it.
Thank you! Now I feel stupid. But that's where I thought I saw it before. I re-downloaded the game recently and those entries don't appear anywhere in the division files. I guess if it's empty then it just defaults to the max brigades set in the misc. Thanks

Edit: It worked! Thank you again.

I was thinking that there's an entry for every unit and I just needed to modify it. But there's only an entry for the exceptions. I see where there's already an entry for MTN to attach 2 brigades (in the AIO mod). But there wasn't one for Battlecruisers so I just wrote in "max_allowed_brigades = 5" and it worked. How does the game know that CL can only have 2 attachments, CA 3 attachments, etc. if there's no entry? Another file must be controlling that and I don't see anything in the misc. file.

Last edited:
hm... not sure, but have you deleted the distance-files?
there are several .tbl files in the map dir. Not 100% sure which it was... I guess navaldist2.tbl and airdist.tbl

If you delete these, the game redo them if you start a new scenario. Need from time to time up to 5 min (game does not crash, just dont finish loading), but should fix your issue.
I did a few changes in Distances.csv in a copy of the mod and it fixed the problem, there was an extra 0 at the end, in the values of Deloraine province. I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but apparently I was wrong. I then deleted the navaldist, navaldist2 and airdist tbl files and started a new game. It worked and now the distances are normal.
However, when I start that copy of the mod now, it gives an error in savedebug saying that the game thought there were 8021 provinces, but only found over 2000k, so its switching to the old map distance model. Plus, it never recreated airdist.tbl.

Strange, what could be happening here?

I did a few changes in Distances.csv in a copy of the mod and it fixed the problem, there was an extra 0 at the end, in the values of Deloraine province. I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but apparently I was wrong. I then deleted the navaldist, navaldist2 and airdist tbl files and started a new game. It worked and now the distances are normal.
However, when I start that copy of the mod now, it gives an error in savedebug saying that the game thought there were 8021 provinces, but only found over 2000k, so its switching to the old map distance model. Plus, it never recreated airdist.tbl.

Strange, what could be happening here?
Are you sure the same number (8021) is in misc.txt and as the first entry in distances.csv?

Are you sure the same number (8021) is in misc.txt and as the first entry in distances.csv?
I just looked. Yes, it is.

Here's the error:

Code:
Reading distances from map\\airdist.tbl...     ERROR in provinces (expected: 8020, found: 2607)! Switching to old distance calculation!

Seems like the issue here is that the game isn't making a new airdist when I delete airdist, navaldist and navaldist2 from the map folder.
navaldist2 was also not remade, which may cause a problem if I ever solve the airdist thing.

I just looked. Yes, it is.

Here's the error:

Code:
Reading distances from map\\airdist.tbl...     ERROR in provinces (expected: 8020, found: 2607)! Switching to old distance calculation!

Seems like the issue here is that the game isn't making a new airdist when I delete airdist, navaldist and navaldist2 from the map folder.
navaldist2 was also not remade, which may cause a problem if I ever solve the airdist thing.
2607 is the number for DH Light right?

Are you sure the map\map_X is pointing to the right folder? (Only thing I can think of with that error..sorry)

DH won't recalculate anything unless it finds the right numbers ...

Which file defines country descriptions for new scenarios?
The descriptions themselves can be stored in any file in config folder. But I can't find a file that "plugs in" new descriptions in a new scenario.
Even scenario-defining file seems to have no references to scenario-specific country descriptions.

Which file defines country descriptions for new scenarios?
The descriptions themselves can be stored in any file in config folder. But I can't find a file that "plugs in" new descriptions in a new scenario.
Even scenario-defining file seems to have no references to scenario-specific country descriptions.

You can check the DH Full Scenario for the Russo-Japanese War:

Code:
#################################
# Designed by Falconette #
#################################
name = "1904_SCENARIO"
panel = "scenarios/data/scenario_1904.bmp"

header = {
    startyear = 1904
    endyear = 1905

free = no

combat = yes    #this is a battlescenario

RUS = {
        desc = "RUS_1904_DESC"
        picture = "scenarios\data\propaganda_RUS_1904.bmp"
    }

JAP = {
        desc = "JAP_1904_DESC"
        bottom = yes
        picture = "scenarios\data\propaganda_JAP_1904.bmp"
    }

}

globaldata = {
    rules = {
        diplomacy = no
        production = no
        technology = no
    }

startdate = {
        year = 1904
        month = february
        day = 6

at "header = {" you find the "desc = "YOUR_DESC" line, in which you define the scenario specific text.

One big difference here is that in the old versions, the mod used the old distance calculation model, now it uses the new model.
That explains it all.
The "old distance calculation model" is not related to real coordinates (and so distances are not correct compared to real life), but uses points on the game map to evaluate the distance.
On switch to the "new distance calculation model" distance is calculated using the actual coordinates set in distances.csv and most probably these are wrong for the province in question. Fix them and then delete both airdist.tbl and navaldist2.tbl to force recalculation of distances on next game start (that could take some time).

That explains it all.
The "old distance calculation model" is not related to real coordinates (and so distances are not correct compared to real life), but uses points on the game map to evaluate the distance.
On switch to the "new distance calculation model" distance is calculated using the actual coordinates set in distances.csv and most probably these are wrong for the province in question. Fix them and then delete both airdist.tbl and navaldist2.tbl to force recalculation of distances on next game start (that could take some time).
Yeah, I discovered that distances.csv was wrong, there was a 0 where it should not be (I thought it would not affect anything, being the last number, but it did).
Deleting both airdist and navaldist2.tbl didn't work for me, I was getting errors, and they wouldn't come back. I had to get the E3 mod's files from its map folder to make it work. I don't know why the game wans't properly recreating it all

Hi everyone, I have aquestion, this is really bugging me out...

I'm trying to create two new division types, Light Infantry and Light Garrison. According to my knowledge I did everything right, made the correct edits to the division_types file and stuff but when I load the game all the counters appear wrong(see image). I'm doing this in the E3 map, don't suppose that has anything to do with it but still.

When I load the game with the default version of division_types.txt the counters come out right, but when I add my division type it loads the way as in the image. This is me division type for the Light Garrison:

d_02 = {
#ID 42
type = garrison
name = NAME_D_02
short_name = SNAME_D_02
desc = LDESC_D_02
short_desc = SDESC_D_02
eyr = 10
sprite = garrison
transmute = militia
gfx_prio = 1
value = 0.1
list_prio = 25
}

Alternatively, does someone know or give me a good guide to creating a brand new division? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• error1.png
    error1.png
    122,8 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone, I have a question, this is really bugging me out...
I barely use counters, but I do remember that one. It's an issue with hoi_counter_strip.bmp (gfx/map) not being the right size to account for the new division.
I don't quite remember how to fix it, but it involves making sure that said file is has as many "squares" as units you are using. The order is what I don't quite remember, but just appending the extra squares will fix the display issue itself.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone, I have aquestion, this is really bugging me out...

I'm trying to create two new division types, Light Infantry and Light Garrison. According to my knowledge I did everything right, made the correct edits to the division_types file and stuff but when I load the game all the counters appear wrong(see image). I'm doing this in the E3 map, don't suppose that has anything to do with it but still.

When I load the game with the default version of division_types.txt the counters come out right, but when I add my division type it loads the way as in the image. This is me division type for the Light Garrison:

d_02 = {
#ID 42
type = garrison
name = NAME_D_02
short_name = SNAME_D_02
desc = LDESC_D_02
short_desc = SDESC_D_02
eyr = 10
sprite = garrison
transmute = militia
gfx_prio = 1
value = 0.1
list_prio = 25
}

Alternatively, does someone know or give me a good guide to creating a brand new division? Thanks in advance!
try this https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/tutorial-how-to-create-your-own-counters.588541/

If I remember right the d_XX numbers are not to be used as they are reserved

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks a lot @Arcangelus & @VTs that's it!

Upon closer reading I saw this line in division_types.txt "On add or remove of unit type, gfx\map\hoi_counter_strip.bmp must be updated to match the number of currently defined unit types.". Case of rtfm on my part...

• 1Like
Reactions:
New question...:)

My newly made Light Garrison unit type has 5000 personnel in it. So technically it's a brigade. According to military symbology it should just show one X on the counter, to indicate the unit size. But in the game it automatically sets two on it, nomatter how little personnel is in it. In gfx/map there is a file called hoi_counter_size.bmp(see picture) and you can see the one X, two XX's etc.

Does anyone know in what file I can find the parameter that regulates when the game has to set the one X or two etc.?

Attachments

• counter size.PNG
    counter size.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 0
Hey! I'm struggling with events that are supposed to forcefully switch ministers (for EOD Romania in this particular context). When I try to use commands like the one seen below:
command = { type = headofgovernment value = 110024 } # Ion Gigurtu
Nothing happens, even though it's already the same year that the minister would start to become available in, the minister is in their correct position, and even if the Govt ideology completely matches up with the minister. Any ideas why this could happen? I'm not seeing any errors or warnings, either.

Hey! I'm struggling with events that are supposed to forcefully switch ministers (for EOD Romania in this particular context). When I try to use commands like the one seen below:

Nothing happens, even though it's already the same year that the minister would start to become available in, the minister is in their correct position, and even if the Govt ideology completely matches up with the minister. Any ideas why this could happen? I'm not seeing any errors or warnings, either.
Can you post the whole event?