• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a query when using the command 'alliance_name'. I'm trying to script an event to convert the 'C. Powers' alliance name back to 'Axis' after WW1. The line I have entered into an event is: command = { type = alliance_name which = Axis where = 1 }. I have also added various entries in the darkest_hour.csv file in \config\ folder. However, it still displays as 'UNKNOWN_STRING_WANTED'; however, the end image, etc. is all correct - just the string which is wrong.

So how do I revert the alliance name back to 'Axis'?

EDIT: I figured out how to do this. I needed to save and reload so the updated darkest_hour.csv file was loaded. Nevertheless, where is the 'Axis' alliance name specified in the config files by default? I couldn't find it. Alternatives for Darkest Hour use the prefix 'ALLIANCE_'.

Last edited:
I've got it working without the quotation marks. Adding quotation marks seems to make the displayed event text weird. My outstanding question is where the default 'Axis' name is coded in the config files? I couldn't see it anywhere.

As an aside, is there a way to make events hidden? I seem to recall in older titles (e.g. Victoria) you could make an event fire without it displaying anywhere.

How do the AI file changes happen without showing then?

EDIT: I think it occurs by specifying the name of the event as: name = "AI_EVENT"

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask you how it was possible to add new countries in the tags from A01 made available in Dh 1.05, I tried to put files INC, leaders, ministers and teams but the game reports that "Excel file not found".
Can anyone explain to me how to do it?

Thanks.

Hello all!

I'm looking into making some custom brigades, but I'm unsure how to with the sprites. I know how to create the files and what will go into it, but I don't know where or how to add the sprites for the brigades. For instance, in vanilla, the brigade for Medium Armor shows a black pixel tank with a large "M" by it.

I've looked everywhere in the files, and I can't find where those images are.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Is it possible to define whether production sliders are ticked or not at the beginning of scenario? I've noticed in my battlescenarios that all sliders aren't ticked, so my forces aren't able to reinforce. Of course production tab is inactive, so I can't do that manually. Any ideas?

Question: I'm trying to use installations.inc to add power production facilities to the map. Hydroelectric Power Plants, for example.

Thing is, it seems that when I add something to the map through the two scenario files, it seems the game does something weird in that regard. It doesn't do a straight up sum between the value stated in the nation's .inc and installations.inc. It seems like one overwrites the other or something, but not quite.

Redding.inc:

province = {
id = 1971 # Redding
ic = 17
energy = 30
metal = 81
rare_materials = 19
oil = 5
infra = 0.4
manpower = 3
points = 31
}

installations.inc:

province = {
id = 1971 # Redding (Redding)
energy = 76.9 # Shasta Dam(67.6/67.6), Spring Creek Powerplant(9.00/18.00), Judge Francis Carr Powerhouse(0.00/15.4), Keswick Dam(0.00/11.7), Black Butte(0.00/0.64), Stony Gorge(0.00/0.50), Slate Creek(0.31/0.42), Highline Hydro(0.03/0.05), Arbuckle Mtn.(0.01/0.03). 114.3 total.
points = 7
}

How it looks like, in-game:
energy = 27/70(76.9)
points = 31

Everything else looks as in the scenario file.
energy prod efficiency is 91%, but that doesn't have to do with the real issue.

Another province is even weirder:

NCR.inc:

province = {
id = 6117 #961 # Shady Sands
ic = 1
energy = 15
rare_materials = 1
infra = 0.3
manpower = 2
points = 2
}

installations.inc:

province = {
id = 6117 # El Portal
energy = 89.8 # New Don Pedro Dam(10.1/20.3), Mammoth Pool Dam(14.2/19.0), Dion.R Holm Powerhouse(8.45/16.9), O'Shaughnessy Dam/Kirkwood Powerhouse(9.30/12.4), Moccasin Powerplant(5.50/11.0), Electra Powerhouse(10.2/10.2), Big Creek Powerplant No. 4(10.0/10.0), New Exchequer Dam(9.40/9.40), Donnells Dam(7.20/7.20), Salt Springs Powerhouse(1.15/4.60), Tulloch Dam(1.53/3.06), Pardee Dam(1.77/2.36), Beardsley Power House(1.00/1.00). 122.82 Total.
points = 8
}

In-game:
ic: 1
infra: 80.0
manpower: 2
rare_materials: 1
energy = 15.0/89.8(89.8)
points = 2

Energy Efficiency = 100%, but again, I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter.

The sum of the two energy incomes should have been 104.8.
I'm pretty sure province.csv is not doing this, either. Only thing its doing in this case is 8 manpower to El Portal. Which is not showing up either, btw.

Tl;dl: Game is super funky re: Assigning resources to provinces, and I have no idea why is this.

I ask this on AI thread, maybe is more easier to get answer here for this problem:
I have a situation where two countries, divided by sea, are allied and fight common enemy.
Problem is that AI country that not border the enemy is evading combat and constantly pulling out the expeditionary forces back to their land.
How to make them fight on allied territory against the common enemy?

Hello everyone. Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a working download for the old Hoi2 event maker around anywhere? The one formerly available at the bottom of this page: https://hoi2.paradoxwikis.com/Utilities#EventMaker
I only ask because I'm working on a mod with lots of events and would prefer a faster way of churning them out than just using notepad.

In what file can I check what the ai is setup to build? I have an issue with the Soviets in the 1942 scenario, where it does not build anything after finishing their current production line and I want to check and see the file to see what the potential issue could be.

I guess you should check it out:

ai\ - SOV_1942

also it can be problems in:
ai\switch - all the "Sov_files" or in events\AI - ai_sov

These are three places/Folders where such problems usually are located (if you don't suspect your events/ -Mods-file)

Is there also a cap or something like that? A point where the ai won't build more units because it is programmed to have "enough"? I don't really see anything out of the ordinary in the ai files. I tried to compare with the ger ai and I don't see a lot of difference. But the ger ai keeps building units, even with a lot less manpower.

Oh, right, I remember! :D
I had just such a problem with Romania and I also could not understand for a long time why Romania refuses to build new divisions.

The problem was solved when I fixed this setting in the Misc, I set it to 0.80 instead of vanilla' 0.25:

# Do not start producing any new units when more then THIS percentage of the total IC is needed to supply existing units (0.0 to 1.0; 1.0 = 100%, disabled). Enabling this will encourage AI to build more IC when this ratio is exceeded.
0.80 #0.25 #1.0

So, yes, check this line and several lines around it.

Reactions:
I have a quite noob question about unit's icons. :oops:
In Vanilla DH-Full, USA is the only major-country that doesn't have its own unique unit's icons. :confused:

Is it possible to get somewhere such icons for USA (aircraft and M3-Lee tank), made in vanilla DH-Full style?

Last edited:
Could someone remind me why the game resets the cost to the default cost value of a unit in the build queue?

In the INC file I have defined the cost which shows correct when the game loads but on the first hour it resets to a default value as defined for a country:

Example. At hour 1 after game start the value resets to 16.0
division_development = {
id = { type = 20100 id = 303 }
name = "SPS S-81"
type = submarine
model = 0
cost = 7.2
date = { year = 2005 month = august day = 27 }
}
County in question has the tech to build the unit. What am I missing?