• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jeremyd1985

Second Lieutenant
5 Badges
Oct 17, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
I am currently playing Germany in the year 1940, I am running a deficit of iron ore due to my growing IC and no country is willing to trade any. I am considering invading Sweden from Norway to obtain more however I am unsure which is the best plan of action, should I invade sweden and release them as puppet Scandinavia? Or is it worthwhile keeping sweden under German rule to make the most of the iron ore? Should I lay a claim to the region rich in ore and then release them as puppet? Interested to know what you all do In your games.

I'm pretty shure puppets give more resources than you'd get in occupation.

As a tip for the future and from my own personal humble experience, i ALWAYS invade Norway/sweden and release Scandinavia as a puppet, since the metal they give is vital to the industry. Invest in infra at the one with 400 metal so the repairs can go by a bit faster. However, and its a big one, if you do create Scandinavia, DO NOT ALLY WITH FINLAND, as if they lose (which they normally do), the north will be opened up to the russians. A tactic that you can use with that though is a fortified line. Since the north only touches with the finnish peninsula by 3 provinces, if you build land forts there as soon as you cap it in october/november of '39 (you can get to around lvl 5 or so) and man it up with some garrisons with AA/Art brigades for backup, the soviet AI will divert very significant resources there, as the AI loves to set up for attacking forts with way more than it actually needs to breach it. You can even exploit it by cutting off the entire finnish peninsula from the baltics, and trap yourself a good chunk of the soviet force.

As a tip for the future and from my own personal humble experience, i ALWAYS invade Norway/sweden and release Scandinavia as a puppet, since the metal they give is vital to the industry. Invest in infra at the one with 400 metal so the repairs can go by a bit faster. However, and its a big one, if you do create Scandinavia, DO NOT ALLY WITH FINLAND, as if they lose (which they normally do), the north will be opened up to the russians. A tactic that you can use with that though is a fortified line. Since the north only touches with the finnish peninsula by 3 provinces, if you build land forts there as soon as you cap it in october/november of '39 (you can get to around lvl 5 or so) and man it up with some garrisons with AA/Art brigades for backup, the soviet AI will divert very significant resources there, as the AI loves to set up for attacking forts with way more than it actually needs to breach it. You can even exploit it by cutting off the entire finnish peninsula from the baltics, and trap yourself a good chunk of the soviet force.
I still don't know all the gameplay mechanics of DH. Are you saying to queue up infrastructure in the productions menu and then to "deploy" them onto the provinces of your puppet? Usually I will click in provinces to begin local constructions but that didn't work for puppets.

I mean you build infra directly into the province; infra building from the building tab has long since been disabled to prevent exploits.