• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Final observations, for now at least:

The US Surrender-German Demands event choices need improvement. Given that the event triggered only after the US's war is all but lost, these options should be more punitive and transformative. Most of their army is gone and my troops approach the Rockies from the east, and still these peace deal options are almost status quo. I'd expect this kind of settlement after a long stalemate or some very serious peripheral defeats, not near complete core devastation.

It appears that countries retain their manpower irrespective of territorial losses. It would be better if the available manpower was decreased if the population was occupied, and restored if they are liberated.

Reactions:
Not everybody plays every game exactly the same. For example: I like to organize all my armies, corps, fleets and air wing with the best leaders. I would do this in any Grand Strategy game I have. it just so happens that I can do it fastest in Darkest Hour. The details offered by other games to me, is often the wrong detail or it ends up creating more work or is less realistic. Another example: lets say I want to separate my ships according to their speed. In Darkest Hour I can select units for the 2 fleets there and still check the speed easily. Can't do that in Hoi3. Knowing unit capabilities is essential. I like to think of units in a string of critical numbers, just like you see in DH, that can stick in my head. In Hoi4 you don't have this unit face with values string but more like a reference book that requires several clicks to study. If I want to know what equipment is in a unit, it's quite easy to find in DH. Hoi4 you'd need a piece of paper and a calculator. That said, this game is terribly old and could really use a redo.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just a quick note for OP - Kaiserreich actually features some gameplay changes and it's better for you to play DH Full if you want to make observations about the base game that are unaltered by KR.

US 90 div game conclusion:
Slightly early victory in Europe-
Germany was broken in the east, while my early 44 landings in France were barely opposed and Italy collapsed politically from relatively light pressure. Rapid and weakly opposed advance from my side resulted in Poland being a landlocked communist country. Postwar US puppet federal Germany still has most of Austria and this thick chunk of coast area around Danzig to Prussia, and rump czechland excluding slovakia is a US puppet and everything east is communist.

Late 45 victory over Japan.
Nat China gets owned in every game I've done so far, and it's a little frustrating. Nuke program was late and 1 did nothing to force surrender and the Japanese were unusually strong on the mainland from China surrendering. Maybe it has to do with my aggression settings getting them defeated. My prewar carriers got blown out so everything had to wait until my run of 8 replacements was finished.

Running something like the 90 div plan is basically impossible if the game allows the USSR to be defeated, which figures. Historically the US had manpower problems with its chosen model of mobilization; so either there is some nuance to the game mobilization system I don't understand or it can't recreate this condition, since at the end of the war I had over 2500 in the counter, at least 2.5 million men. On the industry side, it was kind of a struggle to get all the forces I wanted and keep the navy up. Maybe I need some work on my building strategy.

I'm going to let the game play out for a while, but I doubt anything interesting will happen postwar. :(