• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AON

Second Lieutenant
67 Badges
Feb 18, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and to this format, so I'm not quite sure it's a good idea or not. But I've been reading almost every AAr that has been published in the last two-three months and have logged about 850 hours of Ck2. More importantly I have a story to tell... Or at least a concept. See, after playing about 500 hours of the game, and getting a bit tired of the ordinary game (and trying some of the major mods) I had an idea: Why not play myself, acting as I would act? That means no unnecessary bloodshed(unless becoming cruel or having to fight in lots of wars), no marrying for politics, no being a dick in general. So I tried it out... and died after half a year. Pro-tip; never be weak and depressed at the same time if you don't have an heir. But I tried it again and again, and found it really f-ing satisfying, more so than my ordinary games. So when I started reading on this forum I had this idea brewing in me.

This is the plan. In a few days I'm going back to my home after visiting family. I'll be back in good O'l Stockholm. A few days later I'l make another trip, to Norrbotten (really fucking northen Sweden, for all you non-Swedes out there). Here I'll travel in time (not in real life of course) and be transported to September 1066. While there I have to use my non-existent charm, lighter and copy of the Edda to become chief and from there my long and prosperous rule can begin. Now, I haven't started my campaign yet, so feel free to give suggestions and the like.

A quick warning: I'm going to be portraying me as honest as I can. That means real names most of the times, real feelings, real embarrassments. Real depression. But I'm not going to STAY me. I'll change and adapt, just as all people do. Especially when they are trust from their idyllic life as a semi-unemployed janitor bordering on constant despair to the though and challenging life of a kick-ass pagan chief. So who knows, I might become useful yet.

Like I said earlier, I don't have a clue how to write an AAR, so any tip will be appreciated.

Until next time

André "Wigganaut" Nyhammar

Ps: I will be ignoring some timetravelling things, like me dying of spoiled food days after arrival etc. Also, this is totally unrelated to the Hitler-timetravellthingy.

PPS: Is swearing allowed on this forum? Only asking because I swear alot, and would like to include some occasional swearing.

Last edited:
I will ask form the botoom and say that I donot see anything wrong about swearing . Moreover it seems to me fairly interesting a minor start at Sweden especially with a personal reallife taste .Feel free to ma eany questions ,I would be glad if I could help :happy:

I'll be following this since it seems promising.
I suggest start out with short chapters and make them longer as you go forward, really just brainstorm an idea for a chapter then write that, I do that sometimes.

Prelude: In which Me, myself, breaks the laws of physics and saves a life.

It was a slow day, although it looked like night. Behind me Uppsala was slowly disappearing into darkness and mist. It wasn't all that late yet, but unfortunately for anyone wanting to stay up past four pm, Swedish winters are very dark, and the darkness wrapped around the train like a shroud. The night train to Luleå was large, comfy and quite pleasant. Me, my girlfriend and her mom were in over own little cabin. We played cards, talked and drank tee and coffee. They told me about the place we were going to, Sören, a small fishing village, now almost abandoned. We were going because my girlfriends grandfather was turning ninety, and there was going to be a celebration. I had never seen them before, never seen Sören, and never even been to Norbotten, though I had been farther north then that. Anyway, we talked, and after a few hours we became sleepy. And after a while I said goodnight, kissed Sanna, my girlfriend, and rolled up in my seat next to the window, using my backpack as a pillow. Outside pines were swirling past in the night.

When I woke up it was light, and I smelled smoke. I opened my eyes and saw a only furs. After a while I understood that it was the roof of a tent. I sit up, look around. Where the fuck am I? What the... Am I dreaming? Where's Sanna? I pull up my cell-phone. No coverage, but the date tells me it's January 4th, two days after my departure. The fuck? I get up. I look for the exit and is meet by a very fat man. When I say fat, most of you think of an obese, maybe comical, middle-aged man. He was anything but comical. Large, armoured, armed, with small eyes and a scruffy beard. Before I had a chance to flee like a coward he smiled; an surprisingly disarming smile showing of a wide variety of crooked and yellowed teeth.
- Botulf Frille, chief of Umeå, he said. At least that what I think he said. He sounded more Islandic than Swedish.
- André. Excuse me, but where the fuck am I?!
- In Umeå, of course. Question is why. My hunter found you laying in the forest, napping on a backpack. Slept when they try to wake you, slept when they carried you back here, slept until today. What were you doing in the woods?
- Ähmm... Are you a larper? Because I'm not, and I really wanna get back to my train.
- What's a larper?
- ... Well, do you know what role-playing games are?
- No?
- Well, it's a bit like theatre only you...
- What's theatre?

I spent a few hours with Botulf, during which a few things became absolutely clear. 1. I was screwed. 2. I had travelled back in time. The year was 1066, the 9th September, though we had to ask the Gande-man (warlock/priest of some ancient nordic communities) 3. I was in a Nordic settlement, called Umeå, even though I was pretty sure that Umeå never had any viking/nordic inhabitants. 4. I was screwed. Did I mention this already? Because I have no way to get back, my only useful possessions were some cloths, an single-razor, two notepads, an erotic novel, some condoms, a lighter and a copy of Snorres Edda. Oh, and half a bag of unroasted coffee. My useless possessions included my wallet, my keys, my cellphone, my charger, my dvd-box-set of the Godfather trilogies etc. 5. I wasn't completely screwed. Botulf was very nice and would allow me to stay until the upcoming Ting was done. I would be fed and clothed. If I could find a way to make myself useful I could stay longer, even permanently. Otherwise... well, let's not think of what would happen otherwise.

I spent a few days checking out Umeå and it's habitants. It's was, to be honest, nothing more that a hill with a few sturdy long-houses, a few docks and a wall of literal mud. Maybe five hundred people lived here, and there was probably another few hundred in the general area, maybe a thousand more in the whole region, excluding Sames. At nights I cried, and wished for home, for beds that didn't smell like shit, for ale that didn't taste like water, for my brother, for my parent, for Sanna. For all the people I would never see, who only would live inside my head, until I never would be quite sure if they actually had existed or if I just had dreamed of them. Then I fell asleep and dreamed of trains across a long silver sea.

Sooner or later, everything falls apart. Even my existence of misery and self-pity. See, the Ting happened. And Botulf, the kind, patient man I had come to respect the last couple of days, had decided that since harvest was poor, a slave should be sacrificed to Odin. Let's set the scene.

They had gathered outside of the village. There was a tree, an elm, and around people had placed logs and stones for people to sit. A lot of freemen had gathered there, old and young, big and small. They had come far to seek justice and say their piece, and they all agreed that harvest had been poor. So when Botulf, unarmed, like everybody else, took his seat in the circle, man after man stood up and said that the harvest was poor, the gods weren't happy, you're our chief, do something. After a while Botulf said:
- Yes, Odin is angry. We have seen his servants (ravens) circling us now for days. The gods demand a sacrifice. And one of my slaves (trälar in Swedish) has tried to steal one from one of the graves. He has angered the gods. Let him pay.
It wasn't a great speech, not even a good one. It wasn't long. But Botulf was tall, and dressed in stylish furs, making many nod and agree. But I didn't. So I said something; I said:
-Umm, sorry?
-What is it, outsider? Botulf looked angry and many turned to look at me. But no-one stood or tried to stop me. I was a free-man I guess, and had the right to speak.
-Well, are you going to kill him?
-We are going to hang him from the tree over here until Odin tells us otherwise.
People laughed a bit after that remark.
-Well... Why are you trying to please Odin? Shouldn't Thor be the one who's mad?
-No, Odin is the greatest god and he rules the others... Botulf didn't sound very sure.
-So you're saying that you only praise Odin?
-No, of course not! We praise all the gods.
-So you're trying to get Odins attention? Aren't you worried?
-About what?
-If you get it. His attention I mean. Don't you fear that he will walk unknown, like a one-eyed wanderer, and come here? Wrap his dark cloak around this place, spread death, destruction to further his army in preparation of Rangarök?
-I...I... Were are you actually come from André.
-I told you, my home town don't exist.
-Are you telling me that you are of no place born?
-No...? But I have a suggestion. Sacrifice a bull instead, make Thor happy and punish the slave with something else instead.

The ting fell silent. Finally Botulf nodded.
-Fine. Bring a bull for sacrifice.
Both the Ting and I breathed out.

Last edited:
First day of a chief

In September 15th Botulf Frille abdicated and made me chief. It took me by surprise to say the least. In hindsight I know the reasons... He thought me favoured by the gods. People was angry with him because of the poor harvest, and my speaking out at the Ting had made me seem wise and god-fearing (and not at all like a coward who doesn't like the sight of blood). So; when I, the previous day, had preformed a miracle, he figured that he could step down, and if I didn't fare well he could just coup his way back in power. Now you are probably what I did that was so miraculous? I lit a fire. With my lighter. See, I wanted coffee, so I gathered some sticks, borrowed a pan, and made a fire. A small one. They were very dry sticks. Then I roasted my coffee in the pan and made spent the next hours crushing the slightly burned beans with a rock, somewhat oblivious to why anyone would care. Then I made coffee. It wasn't great, but hey, it made me chief all-right.

So this is probably the time to introduce myself. Hi. I'm André Nyhammar. This is me.
ck21w.jpg

Before my timetravelling days I was a janitor. Kind-of. See, after I finished high-school (that's Swedish high-school) I had no will to study any-time soon. Also I was depressed. There might have been some correlation between the two. So I tried to get work, didn't find any for a long time and in the end I started working at Stockholms University, the same place were I didn't wanna study, as a combined janitor and research assistant. Mostly I clean the coffee-machine and helped fix stuff. In my free time I play a lot of role-playing games, which I have done since I was eight, spend time with my lovely girlfriend, play computer and sometimes get anxiety attacks. All great past-times, except for the anxiety. As you can see, I'm very lazy, and gifted with the kind of cowardice that make me good at avoiding fights, so good that I never been in one. But that's going to change if I want to survive in this crazy world. I make it my ambition to become a better swordsman.

Here Botulf. I make him marshal, and tell him to make sure we're safe. He's a good man, and he deserves to lead more than I do. It's not his fault it didn't rain
ck22.jpg
On my first day I do a lot of things. First of all I gather my council.
(Lost picture. Sorry)

In general they are competent. My marshal my wants to be a great warrior and he's smart too, but he is better suited for intrigue. To satisfy his adventuring spirit I tell him:
-Torkel, you're the chief spy in this place now. Alf, you can leave now. I'm going to be honest with you. We need coffee. It will severely improve our moral, our productivity and will stop me from killing myself. Go to Harrer. It's in the deep south, south of Miklagard (Greece) and the Muslims. Tell them you want coffee, and get a supply route going. On your travels, take note of anything interesting, anything we can use. Good luck.

He doesn't like me much. Probably to do with sending him across half the world to get me glorified acorns.
ck24x.jpg

He's not the only one. My Steward is a Christian called Fredrik Wester. He thinks I'm a pagan and an enemy of God. He also thinks I'm godless (not as without God, but as an without a god. What I'm saying is that he thinks that not only am I a pagan, but a bad pagan), weak and far to honest. What an ass. I'm not even going to show a picture of him. He can collect my taxes.

After a while I get a handle on our situation. To the south we have Ångermanland. They are also norse, and could be allies. To the northeast we have a Finnish tribe called the Kvens. At least my council calls them Finns. But then again they also call the Sames, Estonians, Komi, Inuit and "Vinlanders" (Native Americans) for Finns, so I tend not to trust them on anthropological matters. Also, who used to work in an anthropological institute? Them? No? Then they can shut up!
To the north and west are the Lapps. They are also "Finns". In short: We have potential enemies on all sides, but no one to dangerous.

We also have about five-hundred men who can take up arms. That should be enough to scare of most intruders. After inspecting the field I decide my first priority should be to improve our agriculture and bring some new inventions up here. I also have my priest help me put together a sort of legal code, written on one of my notepads of course.
After the meeting is concluded I pray to a god I never believed in and hope I can make a difference.

Attachments

• ck2_1.jpg
    ck2_1.jpg
    532,9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
War: Hopefully bloodless!
Note: I'm having issues with posting images. The website keeps rejecting my URL. Anyone have any tips?

Nothing happens in a few months. I find ruling quite easy, with not much to do. I spent most days with Botulf or with Wester, trying to get things going. I'm also overseeing the storing of food for the winter.

Then, in December something happens. Reports come flooding in on a war in Finland. Apparently the Danish king wants a piece of southern Finland for himself. This makes the Lapps close to our border angry and most of their warriors head of south. Now, Botulf and others approach me. Attack they say, while their troops are away. But I don't know. Firstly; it's dangerous. Secondly; I don't want people to die. Thirdly; What happens when we declare war? Will everyone just watch peacefully?

But they don't start asking, and the questions turn into threats. I come up with a plan. I'll let them head south for a while, then move my troops into their lands. I'll capture enough settlements and head straight at the old gathering place of Lycksele. While there, we will besiege the place and guarantee a bloodless surrender. Naturally there are gaping holes in my plans. Will my commanders and troops obey my orders and not kill anyone? Will the Lapps return? Will we have enough strength to take Lycksele? But the gains outweigh the risks. If we take Lycksele we can strike a peace and guarantee our safety for many, many years.
My justifications for my plan might be seen as cynical but garners great respect from the council. We start the preparation.

ck25.jpg

-Robbers... A difficult life, I'm sure, but they have brought much misery to others. We must take steps to see that their crimes are not repeated. I'll leave the details to Botulf, but this don't repeat itself. I address my council.- No killing though! I add hastily.-On a side-note, I also name you, Botulf Frille, Master of the Hunt. Any other business? No? Then I'm off to inspect the storehouses and oversee the war-preperations.
I leave quickly, feeling guilty. It doesn't feel good to hurt people. I think of the upcoming war and the anxiety hits me. I almost stumble. But I have work to do. I keep walking.

On the 11th of April I celebrate my birthday, and that Winter is coming to an end. I also celebrate that not a single "Finnish" warrior has been reported by my scouts for more than a month. The next day I give the order to marsh on Lappland.

And is thoroughly refused. While my council had advised an early strike, my men seem to want nothing to do with it. They say they don't have any reason; There is nothing good to steal nor any good land to conquer, nor any honour to claim. They all go home, and I go to bed tired and alone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all for today! I will play a bit more ahead, and we'll see how it goes. Any comments will be appreciated.

MvH

André Nyhammar

Last edited:
Time is a strange thing. It passes quickly at times and dreadfully slow at others. It's been three years, more or less, since my magical transportation. A lot have happened. Let's begin with a bit of foreign affairs. The danish war for Finland has slowly been turned against the Danes, and if something doesn't drastically change soon they will loose. Stenkil af Stenkil, king of Sweden and a possible overlord, also declared war against Finland but his actions were cut short by Prince Erik the Heathen, Jarl of Uppland, who revolted. The jarls ambition for a kingdom, however, was quite finished after two years of bloody fighting fighting.

Locally a lot of things happened. Botulf got married to a local girl and I was asked to hold the ceremony. Her name is Sigrid and I'll hope they'll make a good couple.
ck234.jpg

Nothing much happened until the Autumn. Luckily for me my first harvest was good, the summer had both spots of rain and sun. The farmers were happy, and the Ting seemed inclined to continue to support me. My chancellor, Åke, even managed to get Thord of Ångermanland to accept my rule. But then the Winter came. Dark and dreary, long and cold. The first winter was easy, we had supplies and it was mild. We might have plenty of supplies this time around too, but the cold is terrifying. If you go out without gloves your hands freezes in a matter of minutes. I resolve to never leave my longhouse except if absolutely necessary. Then something weird happens.
ck236.jpg
ck237.jpg
ck238b.jpg
ck239.jpg

It would seem that a game similar to Warhammer is starting to be invented, only a thousand years ahead of it's time. I quickly get in on the scene and become a local champion.

ck240.jpg

There are rumours of a spy, but I don't listen to gossip. Besides, I don't like killing, and won't condemn anyone to death unless I have good, solid proof.

The last two years pass in a hurry, only marred by the far to early death of Åke of Piteå, my chancellor. He replaced by a Christian with the name of Johan Pilhufud, a poor diplomat but better than nothing.

Now, the year is 1069 and I'm feeling better than ever. And why not? I have lived through another winter, I have grown respected and have become the fucking CHAOS GOD of Warhammer. Why should I be sad all the time?
ck243x.jpg
ck244.jpg

There a bit of melancholy in my voice when I address the my council, for deep down I know that my happiness comes at the cost of my memories, my memories of loved ones I'll never see:
- You all know me now. I have lived with you for three years. I have shared your worries, you hopes and your dreams. But I have always remained distant, for this is not my home, only the place I live. Well, no fucking longer. I'll make a new life here, with MY people. And I have lived alone for far to long... If I am to live here; I need someone to share my burdens. I need a wife. Let's find one!
ck245.jpg

My search begin the very next day, after all the rest of the work is done(it seems I'm always working these days). I always had a thing for dark skin, and with me being a fucking chief, I figure, why not? With Torkel being in the far South anyways, he managed to find a suitable bride:
ck246.jpg
Djeneba. A nice name, for a nice lady. She's beautiful and not afraid to live a little, if a bit shy. I try to convince her to move here, but she refuses if not guaranteed a marriage. I accept, and she arrives two months later, about the same times as when the raspberries starts ripening. When she arrives however, I soon starts to see why she wouldn't come without a waiting husband. She is NOT nice. She tries to be , but her mangled Swedish (learnt on the way over) often gives away to insults. She's also muslim, not something I have problem with, but she seems to have a problem with anyone NOT a muslim, causing a bit of trouble in a pagan village with a sizeable Christian minority. Her last and least fault is her hatred for me.
ck248.jpg

I hope we'll become friends with time.

Last edited:
lol you should so convert your children (if you have any) to Islam with her lol...Swedish Muslims invading!!!!!!!!!! That my friend would be priceless lol.

Nevermind that - get her to educate them and get Mendé Islam children :)

Just to let you know, I've been lurking.

So; in real life my trip to Västerbotten has just ended (I came home an hour ago), and I'm armed with new and dangorous information. Let's see if I can't explain my situation a bit better.

A wife, a home and a future.

Its been a few months since Djeneba came to Umeå. It's a sunny summer day and we're near the dock. An visiting merchant has brought silver and jewellery from the east and I buy Djeneba a some ruby earnings as a wedding gift.
ck251.jpg

This starts a long and interesting conversation.

-Where does the the earnings come from? She asks. -They are beautiful.
-East I think. From the Russian lands.
-But why do they come here? Her Swedish still need work.
-We'll we in Umeå depend a lot on trade. See, to the west from us is the Samic land and to the west of that is Norway. Norway's main trading routes go through Oslo in the south and Nidaros in the north. The Nidaros route cuts south in towards Bergslagen and other main Swedish territory, but a small portion of the trade goes north to us. We also trade with the Sames and the Finnish to the East and they sometimes trade with the Russians. But the trader we meet wasn't a Same or Finnish, no, he was a Gotlander, from the great Island in the South. There's also another trade route going through us. The Sames, both those living in their own land to the West, and the nomads who lives in our forests, trade with their kin in the east, and they sometimes stop here or make use of our boats.
- What is a Same?
- We'll they are a nomadic people, living in the mountains and forests. Not completely unlike the Tuaregs of your homeland, only with reindeers instead of camels.
- And why do people come here for trade?
- Iron. The North is filled with iron, the whole of Sweden if overrun with it. But in our marshes it's very easy to dig up, and we dig up a lot of it. But there's also fur and amber, and timber.
- But the Sames do not trade in iron?
- No. They believe mountains to be holy and won't mine. They also don't have any way to make the iron they can find in the marshlands into actual usable material, since they are always on the move. But they buy iron from us and fashion it into knives and axes and arrows.
- So they are our friends?
- No, Djeneba, they are not our friends. They don't like us very much and most people here don't like them. Sometimes our hunters get's lazy and decide "No, I don't wanna go and track a moose today. Let's just find some Finns and steal their reindeers". They Sames naturally don't like that. And we don't like them driving their herds into our graze-lands and stealing food from out cattle and goats. So sometimes we fight. And fighting breed more fighting. Last winter a farmer named Åke lost two of his fingers when a couple of Sames decided they wanted his axe for themselves. Last spring they killed a slave named Vitja, who had tried to escape her so called master. I don't hate them, but I don't really believe in peace with them unless something changes. But right now they are fighting both the Danish and the Swedish King, trying to protect their kin in Finland.
- Wait... you have slaves?
- Yes. Well, we call them trälar, but, yeah, slaves.
- Even you? I thought you a civilized man. But to be a keeper and trader of slaves is strictly barbaric and forbidden.
- I don't know if this makes it any better, but we don't trade in slaves. A slave may be captured or given, and someone who does something very wrong can be sold into slavery or sold to another master, but most slaves never know another master. And most slaves are treated fairly. They can have families. But they can't speak at the ting and some people really mistreat their slaves. Well, they used to. Me and Botulf put some new laws in order to put a stop to that.
- Do you have any slaves?
- Yes, and you have met them already, but I guess you just thought them servants. In truth, their is little difference between a servant and a slave here, and our slaves are treated about as well as a servant or peasant in the any other court in Europe.
- You don't have peasants here?
- We have farmers if that's what you're asking. But not many, most are fishers or hunters. But the farmers own their land, they're not renting it from me. They don't pay tax and I can't violate the sanctity of their home. But they have sworn to pledge men to me if I'm ever threatened or insulted. They also come to me for to settle disputes and to get the favour of the gods, and then they bring gifts. That's is what goes for taxation around here, at least until I took over. I made Wester start taking a bit of percentage on the trade that goes through here. Not much, a few furs, a bit of iron, a couple of swords. People, especially the Sames, are not happy about it, but the locals thinks I'm favoured by the gods so they don't complain. Plus, the harvest has been good lately.
- Are you?
- Are I'm what?
- Favoured by the Gods?
- I don't think so. I'm not even sure if they exist.

After that conversation she seems to see me in a new light. She don't view me like a barbarian and a brute, but more like a scholar and a friend. Soon after, even a lover (as well as a husband). But of course I didn't tell her everything. I didn't tell her about that I had tried to go to war with the Sames. I do however tell her why I'm cleanly shaven when most weren't. I tell her about my razor, my straight razor, given to me by my father before I went on a journey that would become very long indeed. I told her that before I was often unshaven but now I shaved in hot water every morning. I tell her how I heard about her, of my little network in Ethiopia. She seemed surprised that anyone not Arabic or Ethiopian would drink coffee, she won't touch the stuff. We also talk about plans for the future. About kids. And about the village. About expanding. About life, and death, and everything between. I tell her that I had been in love before, with someone far away and very long ago. I sing to her, strange songs on a language not yet invented.

In June, Botulfs first daughter is born. She's named Astrid. I hope my friend enjoys a long life and many, many children.
ck252.jpg

Another winter comes and goes without to much problems. It's another mild one. Maybe I'm favoured by the Gods after all? A rainy summer and a chilly Autum. In the winter Torkel af Tårneå, my long absent spymaster, askes me to arrange a marriage with a local Ethiopian girl. I need to write a letter to King Yemrehama and ask of his approval. I'm happy to oblige.
ck254.jpg

The next summer I get some momentous news.
ck255.jpg

I start thinking of baby names.

A week later Botulf comes to me with a grave matter.
ck256.jpg

I sentence them to be sold in to slavery. When I first came here, I would have let them go, but five years of viking justice have hardened me. Not that we have any actual vikings around here.

After another cold winter my son is born.
ck257.jpg

I name him Mikael after a an old friend of mine. He's healthy if a bit small, and I'm filled with a warm feeling every-time I hold him. Unless he's crying, which he seems to be doing a lot. But this feels like the start of something new, the start of a legacy...

Last edited:
A comming storm

As a new parent, I think I'm becoming too lenient with the truth. I don't want to lie to my son, and if I am to be honest to him, I need to start being honest to everyone else.
ck258n.jpg

In Finland, the two wars are still raging on. A Danish army is moving up north, through our the Samic lands, but the war is going poorly for the Christians. Åland has been raided and nearly taken by the Finnish tribes and I think the Danes new-found army won't be enough to save them.

A year after the birth of Mikael, Djeneba is pregnant again. It's been seven years since I came here and actually starting to forget my life before my mysterious transportation. Luckily, I have built a new home for me here.
ck260.jpg

In April my daughter is born. The delivery was very difficult and there was a great risk of loosing both the baby and Djeneba. In the end the midwife saved the day. I name my daughter after her; Saga.
ck261.jpg

In September 1074 the Danish War against Finland ends. King Stenkil is stubbornly hanging on however and most of the Samamic warriors have reorganized and marched south to deal with him. Botulf now comes to me. He reminds me of my old plan, and says that now that I have ruled for more than a couple of months, people will listen. He says that now is the time, to secure our legacy and safety in the world. Poor, poor Botulf. During the years he's grown bitter and depressed. Still a great friend, he longs for be useful again. To lead an army. And he does have a point. The Sames have been raiding us more often these last few years. Maybe a show of strength would grant us peace?

On the 11th of September, the day of my parents wedding and of the first major world event I remember watching and caring about, I gather the Ting. I tell them of my plan and of my reasons, and ask for their consent. A few speak out, but not many. The same day, my warriors begin marching.
ck265.jpg
ck266.jpg

Last edited:
The War.

To my own surprise I decide to lead my troops myself. While not a good commander I don't trust anyone else except Botulf with a bloodless siege, and I need Botulf at home, training troops and maintain a defence.

On the 1st of October we come to the old gathering ground of Lycksele. It's little more than a camp site with mud walls, but it's located on a hill with a steep climb and only one good approach. That approach takes you right under a cliff-wall were the defenders can bombard you with rocks then you have to fight an enemy that possesses higher ground and is more rested than you. My expert Warhammer skills tells me that a siege would be preferable.
But there's more bad news. The Sames have turned back, but not to face us but to march on Umeå. They'll arrive later this month. I hope Botulf is prepared.
ck267.jpg

I was wrong. The Sames are not marching towards Umeå, they're coming home. All seven hundred of them. I debate whether to run or not, but decide against it. I've been ruled by fear for far to long, and if I run they'll just keep coming. We'll stand and face them.
ck269.jpg

So whom will I be facing? Just another tribal leader right?
ck270.jpg

Oh dear god! He's a fucking killing machine. Maybe running still is an option?

On the 3rd of November, Njuolla arrive.
ck271.jpg

What follows is a little over a month of bloody skirmishes. Every day small battles break out over hills and mountains, in vales and at rivers. The terrain in driving us both to desperation. However, we managed to gain a slight advantage, and by the 9th of December we have Njuolla on the run.
ck272.jpg

Lacking enough men to continue the siege, we follow him back to Västerbotten. Njuolla himself seem to have been wounded in the battle and are now in a coma. This leads to a swift victory for our troops. I give the men leave and start preparing for out next assault (we don't have enough men for a siege).

A couple of weeks later Djeneba is pregnant again.
ck275.jpg

In September two major things happen. Firstly my second daughter Sara is born. Secondly; I start some major construction in Umeå. I build a new warehouse, a larger harbour, a widen to road and give resources to the smith to take on more apprentices. My work to expand our farmland is also bearing fruit. Within a year I think we'll be a proper village, though the construction has bled us rather dry money wise.

In April the war get's hot again. A large raiding party led by a minor chief is moving east toward Umeå. In response I muster out newly reinforced army.
ck278.jpg

The battle wasn't much of a challenge. We outnumbered them two to one and my experience of fighting in rough terrain allowed us to overcome them rather quickly.
ck279.jpg
ck280.jpg

With the raiding party defeated, the siege of Lycksele recommences. But the remaining Sames are stubborn. It takes until February and the coldest winter in living memory for them to surrender. During that Njuolla died and were replaced by his infant. Finally on 5th Lycksele surrenders.
ck282.jpg
ck283.jpg
ck284.jpg

With the greatest of the Sami tribes defeated I dictate my terms. The Sami of Lappland are now under my jurisdiction, they answer to my law. Raids on our people will stop, and they shall surrender the gathering place at Lycksele to my governance. In return they shall have a voice at the ting if they pay taxes and be protected by my warriors. I don't expect them to be happy with the arrangement, but Umeå will hopefully know peace for a while.

Let's take stock. This is me now:
ck286.jpg

I am older, and more fierce than in my youth. My constant work to protect and expand Umeå had resulted in quite a bit of respect. Umeå itself has grown quite a bit, from a few long-houses to become a proper village. I now control the entire north of Sweden, though only in name. In reality my name carries weight only in Västerbotten and in Lycksele itself. Still; it's more than I ever thought possible. Maybe the gods favour me after all.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I appreciate the people giving comments already, but I would very much like to hear from a few more. I'm mostly looking for feedback on the writing, and whether there's an actual sense of character to the protagonist or not. Personally I feel I have handicapped myself by not really defining a writing style for this AAr, and it's something I hope to change when Time-Me actually dies (I don't play ahead so I don't know when that will be).

Oh; about that whole Mendé Muslim thing... I don't think we'll be seeing any muslim rulers any-time soon. I would never let a religious fanatic educate my children, or at least I hope I wouldn't. Also Djeneba is kind of an asshole. Just saying.

Lastly I want to apologize for all the sloppy mistakes. I tend to forget words when I'm writing. I hope this doesn't impact the story very much.

With a lots of regard and love.

André Nyhammar.

Ps: I went back to the older posts and cleared up some of the language and tidied up the text a bit.

Last edited:
Oh; about that whole Mendé Muslim thing... I don't think we'll be seeing any muslim rulers any-time soon. I would never let a religious fanatic educate my children, or at least I hope I wouldn't. Also Djeneba is kind of an asshole. Just saying.

Lastly I want to apologize for all the sloppy mistakes. I tend to forget words when I'm writing. I hope this doesn't impact the story very much.

Huh, I though he, or rather you; and Djeneba were starting to get along. :)

Personally I didn't notice any mistakes while reading, and I for one am enjoying your AAR immensely. Keep up the good work!

Well, sure I'll comment, since you're asking so nicely.
I think the sense of character is the best thing about this AAR, in fact. The way it develops is pretty interesting, and seems to me quite distinct. I enjoy some of the little touches, too, like sending that guy to Africa just to get coffee. I don't really feel that there's a problem with an undefined writing style; it seems consistent enough to me, and I quite like it.
Looking forward to more updates.
Also, hey, this is my first post.

Huh, I though he, or rather you; and Djeneba were starting to get along. :)

We are but that doesn't change the facts. She's cruel and zealous, and her only virtue is that she doesn't eat too much. I would like too think that she tries to be nice at least, but in my mind she's a humourless... well let's not use more foul language aye?

Well, sure I'll comment, since you're asking so nicely.
I think the sense of character is the best thing about this AAR, in fact. The way it develops is pretty interesting, and seems to me quite distinct. I enjoy some of the little touches, too, like sending that guy to Africa just to get coffee. I don't really feel that there's a problem with an undefined writing style; it seems consistent enough to me, and I quite like it.
Looking forward to more updates.
Also, hey, this is my first post.

Thanks for replying and thanks for taking the time to write me. I'm really glad you like if so far. Personally I quite liked the first post but some of the following I felt were indistinct and featuring quite clumsy writing. I fell happier about them now that I have cleaned them up a bit. I also quite felt like I broke character far, far too early, with the attempted war with Lappland. The whole thing with trying to fight Lappland comes from a previous game were I didn't and they murdered me. Also, it tend to keep Norway from taking the north. But it doesn't really suit my character. In real life I'm not a pacifist but I would not very likely go to war. But now that I war and death will come easier to me, since I've had training.

I just wanted to let people know that I have no intention to stop writing. I quite enjoy writing this and, while I might be overly critical of my work, it's fun to produce and gives me something to do.

With a lot of love.

André Nyhammar