• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can only agree with you; I too would like to see a general as good as Hannibal's reputation. (Not going to get into it here, but there are some historians who believe his military skill was as much the Romans trying to make him look good, and thus make their own conquest even more impressive.)

I agree, you should hope to pop out a Scipio or a Hannibal. Personally, I might prefer a Scipio. He is one of only 4 generals in history to never lose a battle so he might actually be a better general then Hannibal, and he is the one who beat Hannibal to boot. Also, some historians I have read seem to think that Hannibal actually lost the war at Cannae by defeating his own strategy of getting the Italian Allies of Rome to revolt, therefore contending that he was a genius tactician, but not as good a strategist.

My thoughts exactly. Just bring up your Army Tradition to around 80%, and then sit back and watch one appear from the farms of Southern Napoli or the mountains of Anatolia. Austria should be shaking in their little space boots by then

If I have that kind of patience... I have an itchy trigger finger :)

I agree, you should hope to pop out a Scipio or a Hannibal. Personally, I might prefer a Scipio. He is one of only 4 generals in history to never lose a battle so he might actually be a better general then Hannibal, and he is the one who beat Hannibal to boot. Also, some historians I have read seem to think that Hannibal actually lost the war at Cannae by defeating his own strategy of getting the Italian Allies of Rome to revolt, therefore contending that he was a genius tactician, but not as good a strategist.

I totally agree with you on the strategy and the historical interpretation, but I'm not sure I can wait too much longer!

Since I'm updating the Russian AAR momentarily, expect an update for this this weekend. I've been waiting for a sizable block of time, and I'm going to work my tail off tomorrow to get that tomorrow night.

Just spent the weekend reading this. One word Epic. Little Tuscany to the greatest empire in the world. As for the crazy emperor perhaps have one so overwhelmed by his ancestors that he tries to best them all by doing something that none of them ever imagined even in the old Roman Empire: Personally taking the Arabian Peninsula and thereby proving his worth.

Just spent the weekend reading this. One word Epic. Little Tuscany to the greatest empire in the world. As for the crazy emperor perhaps have one so overwhelmed by his ancestors that he tries to best them all by doing something that none of them ever imagined even in the old Roman Empire: Personally taking the Arabian Peninsula and thereby proving his worth.

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the forums! That's an interesting idea; I don't know if I'll have time to work it in though.

I promise I'm going to play either tonight or tomorrow; this has been one hectic weekend!

Played for three hours last night; I've got enough material for a few updates now and I finished the war with Austria. I'm going to try to update tonight or tomorrow.

I do want to look for some advice, though. As a result of a recent happening (which I shan't disclose, so don't ask!), I now have colonies in the new world. Frankly, I don't want to be bothered with the new world, and I'd sell off the provinces to another power, but unfortunately, the only other colonial powers are my future enemies, like Savoy, France, Castille, etc. However, having colonies is a huge pain, makes me zip around the map so much I get cross eyed.

What should I do? Once the founding father events fire (provided I get enough in the new world), I can release them as vassals, but that's little help for the short term.

My thought, and I'm not sure if an event could be written to do this, would be for your very Italian Empire which now comprises dozens of cultures to start strongly emphasizing its culture as it gets ever closer to recreating the Roman Empire of old.

In the ancient Roman Empire dissidents, rebels, and religious minorities (those deemed dangerous) often wound up getting enslaved. As your newer more "enlightened" protestant empire can't really do that I think given the chance after acquiring far away colonies that they don't really care about they'd adopt the same mindset that the British took in the OTL in regards to Australia at first...a useful dumping ground for those individuals that they don't want back home.

I'm not sure if the mechanics would allow you to code an event or decision that would speed up cultural assimilation in Europe while turning your colonial holdings into a patchwork mix of the cultures and religions you're displacing.

Reduce your colonial upkeep and hope for the best.

That might work.

My thought, and I'm not sure if an event could be written to do this, would be for your very Italian Empire which now comprises dozens of cultures to start strongly emphasizing its culture as it gets ever closer to recreating the Roman Empire of old.

In the ancient Roman Empire dissidents, rebels, and religious minorities (those deemed dangerous) often wound up getting enslaved. As your newer more "enlightened" protestant empire can't really do that I think given the chance after acquiring far away colonies that they don't really care about they'd adopt the same mindset that the British took in the OTL in regards to Australia at first...a useful dumping ground for those individuals that they don't want back home.

I'm not sure if the mechanics would allow you to code an event or decision that would speed up cultural assimilation in Europe while turning your colonial holdings into a patchwork mix of the cultures and religions you're displacing.

That would be a very elegant and subtle solution; I have no idea how you'd do that though.

Alas, while I've done some basic adjustments to the culture spread mechanics before I really don't have any experience with how to pull off the events or decisions that would be needed to do what I described. I suppose you could just manually adjust the save file using several house rules such as a 1:1 culture flip between home and colonial provinces 10 years after a game generated revolt (to simulate the repression that would follow such an event) but that would likely be tedious.

Alternatively, if that's just too much work I suppose an enterprising Emperor could pull off some truly Machiavellian tactics by selling the colonial provinces to your current expansion target (ensuring that said target has coastal provinces and a decently sized transport fleet) then sponsoring a revolt. Wait for your hapless target to ship an army to the other side of the world (the AI is really bad at overkill) then declare war after claiming that your target has shown how barbaric they are because of their brutal suppression of the peace loving colonists.

In either case I certainly feel that you could have some fun writing up a resurgent Roman Empire that *may* be starting to get a touch neurotic due to its large size. I noticed that while you've taken most of Italy, Greece, Anatolia, the Levant and North Africa you really haven't crossed the Alps or fought the major European land powers.

I could certainly see the leadership of the Empire starting to feel that they're deserving of more respect especially once Austria falls. That expectation colliding with an Emperor that truly believes in the Roman way could have some interesting effects even if the game mechanics don't support it. I could just imagine one of your characters going to inspect North Africa to celebrate the recent gains, hailing the return of 'proper Roman rule' only to get told off by a Muslim Berber, "Rome was dust a thousand years ago, you are no more than the children of shepherds who drape yourselves in the ragged remains of its robes."

Leading into a 'not Roman enough? I'll show HIM!" moment for said character and kicking off a bunch of internal theatrics where everyone in the Empire tries to out Roman the next guy along with Latinization programs for the recently conquered Imperial lands. Could also lead into your foreign affairs where tensions between you and the various major European states start to really simmer as the leadership starts really pushing for the recovery of Gaul, Hispania, and Dalmatia. Cue faceoff between the HRE and your Roman Empire 2.0 as to who the true successor to ancient Rome is. I think it would be funny if the Imperial diplomats started looking at the states of Europe the same way China looks at Taiwan, as a break away province. I wish the game was up to pushing a greater political union among the German OPMs in response to your push northwards out of Italy. The early formation of Germany from the members of a possible 'Teutoberg Coalition' in response to Roman pressure would be plausible and give you more of a challenge. Sadly I expect once Austria is neutered that will be it.

Just an idea, but I have to admit the concept of a new Roman Empire sending out decrees proclaiming their intent to bring the light of the Roman Empire back to the uncivilized barbarians. Only now the "barbarians" are debating their response while smoking imported tobacco, drinking wine, and ensuring that their powdered wigs and silk outfits remain unsullied.

Alas, while I've done some basic adjustments to the culture spread mechanics before I really don't have any experience with how to pull off the events or decisions that would be needed to do what I described. I suppose you could just manually adjust the save file using several house rules such as a 1:1 culture flip between home and colonial provinces 10 years after a game generated revolt (to simulate the repression that would follow such an event) but that would likely be tedious.

Alternatively, if that's just too much work I suppose an enterprising Emperor could pull off some truly Machiavellian tactics by selling the colonial provinces to your current expansion target (ensuring that said target has coastal provinces and a decently sized transport fleet) then sponsoring a revolt. Wait for your hapless target to ship an army to the other side of the world (the AI is really bad at overkill) then declare war after claiming that your target has shown how barbaric they are because of their brutal suppression of the peace loving colonists.

In either case I certainly feel that you could have some fun writing up a resurgent Roman Empire that *may* be starting to get a touch neurotic due to its large size. I noticed that while you've taken most of Italy, Greece, Anatolia, the Levant and North Africa you really haven't crossed the Alps or fought the major European land powers.

I could certainly see the leadership of the Empire starting to feel that they're deserving of more respect especially once Austria falls. That expectation colliding with an Emperor that truly believes in the Roman way could have some interesting effects even if the game mechanics don't support it. I could just imagine one of your characters going to inspect North Africa to celebrate the recent gains, hailing the return of 'proper Roman rule' only to get told off by a Muslim Berber, "Rome was dust a thousand years ago, you are no more than the children of shepherds who drape yourselves in the ragged remains of its robes."

Leading into a 'not Roman enough? I'll show HIM!" moment for said character and kicking off a bunch of internal theatrics where everyone in the Empire tries to out Roman the next guy along with Latinization programs for the recently conquered Imperial lands. Could also lead into your foreign affairs where tensions between you and the various major European states start to really simmer as the leadership starts really pushing for the recovery of Gaul, Hispania, and Dalmatia. Cue faceoff between the HRE and your Roman Empire 2.0 as to who the true successor to ancient Rome is. I think it would be funny if the Imperial diplomats started looking at the states of Europe the same way China looks at Taiwan, as a break away province. I wish the game was up to pushing a greater political union among the German OPMs in response to your push northwards out of Italy. The early formation of Germany from the members of a possible 'Teutoberg Coalition' in response to Roman pressure would be plausible and give you more of a challenge. Sadly I expect once Austria is neutered that will be it.

Just an idea, but I have to admit the concept of a new Roman Empire sending out decrees proclaiming their intent to bring the light of the Roman Empire back to the uncivilized barbarians. Only now the "barbarians" are debating their response while smoking imported tobacco, drinking wine, and ensuring that their powdered wigs and silk outfits remain unsullied.

Wow... you've given this way more thought than I have :p I really like your ideas for a future narrative, and if events develop in an appropriate way, I'd certainly consider it.

Chapter 36, part 1: A new war engulfs Europe

11 January 1651, Chambers of the Imperial War Council, Florence

Captain Jacopo Contadino hadn't been back to Florence in a few years, since he'd left the Germanicus Academy. Not much had changed, he thought, except of course for the new government officials in town. Emperor Francis II, recognizing his lack of knowledge in military affairs, had called together the Imperial War Council to help prosecute the war against Austria. Chancellor Maurizio Carafa and Foreign Minister Carlo Emmanuele di Ferrari remained in Rome to ensure that the Empire continued to run. The council would meet in Florence at the Van Dijk College of War, in case an opportunistic Austrian ally invaded Rome.

The Imperial War Council, on the other hand, consisted of the Emperor, Prince Pietro, Marshal of the Empire Brutus Porcius Cato, Field Marshal Rodolfo Gentileschi, Chief of the General Staff Alexander O'Connor, and the Minister of the Interior, Carlo Emmanuele di Campofregoso. Jacopo was part of the Emperor's honor guard, and so got to see what happened at the conferences without participating.

Minister di Campofregoso unfurled a map of the Empire, covered in strange colors.

chapter36revoltriskmap.jpg

"Fellow members of the Council, this map was prepared by one of my aides. This shows our Empire, with the areas most likely to revolt shaded in dark colors."

Marshal Cato scratched his head. "What use is this map to us?"

"If an area is in green, Marshal, we would be able to remove troops from it without suffering insurrections."

The Marshal nodded. "A sensible idea; my commendations to your aide."

"Thank you, Marshal."

As the Emperor scanned the map, he was unsurprised to see that the recently conquered areas were the most likely to cause trouble. Still, there were many legions that were, at the moment, occupying regions that didn't need any more than the existing garrison to keep order. This would give him great flexibility in the coming war. Francis II, for the purposes of the council, was serving as his own Foreign Minister, and so he presented an item on the allies of Austria.

chapter36potentialallie.jpg

"My friends, Austria has herself quite a list of friends. We should expect intervention from Castille, France, and Savoy, to name the most important. Oh, right, Savoy!" -- he interrupted himself, signing the white peace treaty that had been sitting on his desk for a week now -- "That said, Marshal Cato, can we win this war?"

"What of our allies, Emperor?"

"Muscovy has personally assured me that they will support our efforts; the others will fall into line."

"Then we can do it, your Imperial Majesty. We could win without Muscovy, but it would be better for them to at least distract Austria. General O'Connor will start work on plans for the invasion. I've issued orders to the fleet to begin ferrying troops to the Italian peninsula, and I'm raising the 15,000 men we need for the Thunderbolt Legion."

"Very good, Emperor. That Legion will need an experienced Commander; have you somebody in mind?"

"Unfortunately, I have not. Our best field commander isn't in a position to lead from the front, if you understand me."

The Emperor thought quietly. He assumed the Marshal meant Jacopo Contadino, who would have been Francis' first choice too. But with an effectively useless arm, placing him in the front lines would be tantamount to homicide. As he considered his options, a surprising voice spoke up.

"Father, I would like the opportunity, if you have no one else in mind."

As all eyes turned to Prince Pietro, the young man continued. "I know I am quite young, and have little experience, but I have been studying carefully with Marshal Cato and General O'Connor. I would like an opportunity to prove myself as a worthy successor, may it be many years hence."

The Emperor was first inclined to discard the suggestion out of hand. After all, Pietro was just barely 12 years old, and while he was already very tall for his age, he was by no means a man. However, Pietro was also incredibly bright and popular with the troops. Having a member of the Imperial family at the front would certainly inspire the new legion.

Then he had an idea. He waved over Marshal Cato, and the two excitedly exchanged words before the Emperor announced his decision.

"My son, it fills me with pride that you are volunteering for such duty. You are correct that an Emperor must know how to command, and it is true that army duty would certainly teach you that. However, you must also know how to listen. Italy is a mighty Empire because of her people, not just her Emperor, and although you will rule, others will advise you.

"Therefore, I can not name you as Commander of the Fulmens Legion."

chapter36fulmenslegion.jpg

"Instead, I will name you as Lieutenant Commander of the Fulmens Legion. The Commander will be Jacopo Contadino."

Hearing his name startled the young Captain out of a reverie. "Emperor, you are gracious and kind, but do not my injuries disqualify me from field command?"

The Empire smiled. "On the contrary; a soldier who lives through his wounds is a seasoned veteran and worthy commander. More practically, however, you will issue the overall orders to the Legion, but my son will be the actual leader of the Legion, as far as leading from the front is concerned. You will stay back and lead from the rear."

Jacopo could hardly speak. He'd thought his career would end at Captain -- a lofty title, considering his upbringing, but one he felt he was overqualified for -- and now he was being handed the most prestigious front-line command in the entire Imperial Army. All he could do was stammer out a "yes" and grin vociferously. He was now a hereditary noble, and his two infant sons would start out with a big head start in life. His wife Cristina would also be pleased, he had no doubt.

But where would he serve? Would he find glory or death? He couldn't wait to find out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 December 1651, Foreign Minister's office, Rome

While the Emperor was playing war games in Florence, the real business of the Empire was left, unfairly he thought, in the Foreign Minister's hands. Chancellor Carafa kept things running smoothy, he had to admit, but the real challenge in any state was the foreign relations in the Empire, and that had been a tall order for the vain Count di Ferrari.

First, he had to answer the call of Muscovy. He'd been placed in an uncomfortable position; he was ordered not to join any wars, but to honor the alliance with Muscovy to ensure their participation in the war against Austria. Some delicate diplomacy had won the day with the Muscovite ambassador; he told Ambassador Matveyev that the Italian Empire would provide moral support, and maybe even funds if needed, but had her own plans and could provide no troops.

chapter36unwelcomewar.jpg

He'd also delivered an unpleasant note to the Austrian ambassador, formally ending the Military Access treaty that had existed between Italy and Austria for years. He knew the Ambassador would not be happy, and might even suspect the Italian intentions, but there was nothing to be done.

He wondered what exactly was so important about wars that the Emperor had to fight it himself; it seemed a waste of talent, in his view.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Later that day, Imperial War Council, Florence

Alexander O'Connor was more nervous than he'd ever been. He knew Marshal Cato was going to back his plans, but with the Generals in the room as well both Marshals and the Emperor, this would be the most prestigious briefing he'd ever given and the most career enhancing -- or ending.

He placed his four maps on the table, one in front of each General.

chapter361starmy.jpg

The First Army

chapter362ndarmy.jpg

The Second Army

chapter363rdarmy.jpg

The Third Army

chapter364tharmy.jpg

The Fourth Army

As each man present examined his maps, the troops given to him, and their duties, General O'Connor presented his plans.

"Gentlemen, I have divided our forces into four armies, each one with specific objectives, and have assigned the generals best suited to the tasks at hand. I welcome any questions or comments, but please wait until the end of the briefing.

"The 1st Army, composed of the I, II, VIII, XIII, XVII, and the XXI legions, will be the tip of our spear. I foresee this army hitting the most resistance, and so I've named General Maurizio Paradisi as the commander for this army. He knows the Austrian tactics inside and out, as he was military attache to the Italian Embassy in Austria.

"The 2nd army, the XII, XIV, and XVIII legions, is our rear guard. If necessary, they will advance into Savoy to protect our flank against France. I've named a young engineer, Carlo Felice della Torre, as General of that army. This will be a purely defensive assignment, and nobody knows fortifications better than General della Torre.

"The 3rd army, the VI, IX, XV, and XX legions, will attack rapidly on the right flank of the Austrian armies. I have proposed that Field Marshal Gentileschi lead this flank assault, as speed, cohesion, and organization will be critical.

"The 4th army, the IV, V, X, XI, and XIX legions, will be responsible for advancing into Castillian lands near Persia. General Leopoldo dalla Rosa will be placed at the head of this army. I anticipate minimal resistance, and dalla Rosa, the son of the Mayor of Jerusalem, is the most familiar with this area and will be well suited to short term governance.

"That concludes my briefing. Are there any questions?"

Field Marshal Gentileschi looked a little annoyed, as if he expected that he alone should have been the leader of the 1st Army, but a quick glare from both the Emperor and Marshal Cato cut his objections short.

General Paradisi raised his hand. "General O'Connor, will we have operational discretion?"

Alex nodded. This question he had expected. "Yes, General. At the launching of hostilities you will each be given your initial orders, and at that point it will be up to you and your Commanders to execute the overall objective.

"We must assume that all of Austria's allies will intervene. However, only the 1st and 3rd armies will see action on day 1, as it may take some time for Austria's allies to respond with their own declarations of war."

With no additional questions, the Emperor dismissed the meeting. All that remained was to wait for Minister di Campofregoso to complete his mission in Vienna.
7 January 1652, Imperial War Council, Florence

Everybody present waited breathlessly for Minister di Campofregoso to return from Vienna. The spy missions he'd ordered required his personal touch. His agents were to infiltrate the Austrian administration and retrieve a map of troops placements. This dangerous mission had cost the lives of two devoted agents; the agent with the map survived just long enough to hand over the map before being arrested. Although one spy had escaped detection, he'd been killed by thieves after his pocket watch.

chapter36releasethespie.jpg

As di Campofregoso unfurled the map, everybody was shocked.

chapter36austrianarmies.jpg

It appeared that not only would the 1st Army see the most action, it might be the only army to see any action. His spies had also reported the transfer of an Austrian detachment to Mecklenburg, but an insignificant one. The time to strike was now, and the Emperor authorized the declaration of war.

chapter36waaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Marshal Cato issued the orders to the 1st and 3rd armies, detailing their initial moves.

chapter361starmyadvance.jpg

Advance of the 1st army

chapter363rdarmyadvance.jpg

Advance of the 3rd army

All that remained was the announcement of the intentions of Austria's allies. War was truly on.
8 January 1652, Imperial War Council, Florence

It was as most of the War Council envisioned; most of Austria's allies had honored the call: that is, except one.

chapter36taleofthetape.jpg

With the state of the war, individual legions were ordered into Portuguese Tlemcen and Castillian Safi. The 4th army was also given its marching orders.

chapter364tharmyadvance.jpg

Now, it was in God's hands. Who would triumph? Could the Italian lands finally be made whole?
So, that's the opening phase of this war, which will take three updates to finish!

There's also a contest here. If you can name the lone power that did not answer Austria's call to arms, you'll get to create a character! There is one limitation on the character -- he cannot be a military character, should you win.

Enjoy!

I believe that Savoy did not answer Austria's call to arms. What a spineless emperor! :p
Anyway, here's to hoping that Austria falls hard. :)

I believe that Savoy did not answer Austria's call to arms. What a spineless emperor! :p

That wasn't much of a contest, but props to Michaelangelo for winning it. What an amazing start to an epic war for the unification of the Empire. I hope you took some lands from France and Castille as well. Incorporate them into the empire as quickly as possible

Right you are! Send along your character info via PM at your earliest convenience.

That wasn't much of a contest, but props to Michaelangelo for winning it. What an amazing start to an epic war for the unification of the Empire. I hope you took some lands from France and Castille as well. Incorporate them into the empire as quickly as possible

France gets off scott free, Castille does not :)

nice update, good to see such detail ... bit of a shock to see unprepared Austria is & that war exhaustion is going to hurt them if you spin the war out for a while

The war won't be a short one, I can tell you that. I was a little surprised by Austria too; ever since they've stopped being Emperor, they've kind of spun their wheels. Don't worry though; this war will not be anti-climactic.

Republic of Russia is due for an update, but I should have another update by this weekend.

Chapter 36, part 2: The death of a hero

26 January 1652, Treviso, Austria

Commander Jacopo Contadino absently scratched at his left arm before remembering it wasn't there. As part of his promotion, Marshal Cato had requested that surgeons remove the Commander's dead arm, as there was a chance it might become infected. Still, most of his job was paperwork, issuing orders, and talking with his subordinates, none of which required two hands. Prince Pietro was a more than capable aide, and had more than once proved his bravery in the early stages of the war.

Aragon had joined the war, as France's ally, but Savoy had not. This welcome but unexpected development still required that the Second Army remain in place, but if France were to leave the war, that would free up an additional three crack legions for the war. Two victories had already been won by Italy, one minor and one major.

chapter34battleofbresci.jpg

chapter34battleoftrevis.jpg

The Battle of Treviso, a complete rout of the largest army Austria had in the field, had some inexperienced officers already claiming the war was over. Jacopo knew better. General Paradisi's leadership had been exemplary, and it was skill and coordination that had truly won the victory. The Fulmens Division was proudly at the front lines, and the overwhelming artillery barrages had crippled Austrian formations. As the First Army settled in for a long siege at Treviso, General Paradisi announced that the legion in Venice -- the Legio II 'Sicilia' -- had already begun to cross the straits and would further reinforce Italian forces.

As the Commander studied another dispatch, Lieutenant Commander Farnese -- as he insisted on being called -- entered the command tent.

"Commander, that was the most exciting thing I've ever experienced! My heartbeat is racing, my palms are sweaty, and I'm having the time of my life!"

Jacopo chuckled. "Easy there, Lieutenant Commander. Not all battles are so one-sided, and I have no illusions about the fighting strength of the Austrian armies. Remember that we still paid a price -- smaller than we might have hoped, but still a price. I would advise you to contain your enthusiasm in front of the men."

Quickly, Pietro sobered. "You're right, of course, Commander. Seeing some of them die, well, it's one of the most horrible events in my life. So much agony..."

Jacopo softened. "It is not supposed to be a pleasant experience. We fight for the glory of our Empire, to restore the honor of Ancient Rome, but most of all, for each other. If that is the only lesson you learn in this war, you will be a fine Emperor, if I may say so."

Pietro nodded, saluted, and left. That boy is going to go places, thought Jacopo. And it's my job to make sure he gets there.
3 March 1652, Imperial War Council, Florence

Francis II was normally a kind and jolly fellow, but this news was not the sort to make somebody kind or jolly. He just heard of the first major defeat that the Empire had suffered.

chapter34battleofsafi.jpg

While the navy had sunk six French and Castillian ships and the 1st Army taken Cremona, the army in North Africa had been a profound disappointment. It was that fool Borghese!

chapter34newgeneral.jpg

Originally Commander of the Legio VII 'Asia', his task had been simple; to take Safi before the Castillian army arrived.

chapter34assaultsafi.jpg

After successfully assaulting the stronghold, the Commander was supposed to retreat. Unfortunately, Ludovico, a glory hound if there ever were one, decided he would take this opportunity to insist, through his father, that Ludovico be given a general's stars. Marshal Cato refused to grant them, on the grounds that a single legion, operating independently, had no need for a General. However, Ludovico's father, Giovanni, spoke with the Emperor. Giovanni was the Chief Magistrate for Italy, and so his opinion held much weight in Imperial circles.

The Emperor, fuming, nonetheless overruled his Marshal, thinking that if he gave the idiot and his son what they wanted, he'd hear no more of it. Then Ludovico, in his infinite wisdom, insisted on waiting until his actual stars arrived, so that his troops might "recognize what their valor had won." The disaster at Safi had been the result; on poor defensive ground, Castille's superior numbers overwhelmed the Italian position. The Seventh Legion, fighting a superb rearguard action, inflicted plenty of casualties, but the end result was still a defeat.

The Emperor was contemplating his response -- possibly executing Borghese and his son for their idiocy -- when a strange visitor entered. He was clearly from the Far East, dressed in an emissary's robes. Italy had not had many dealings with the other side of the world, but Francis II knew how much they loved their ceremony, and that ignoring their representative would be a serious affront to Manchurian honor. The fact the man was gaping like a lunatic actually made the Emperor smile just a bit. He waved for a translator, but the Manchurian shook his head, and in perfect Latin, said "It is an honor to meet you, Emperor of the Byzantines. I am here from his most Revered Majesty. I have been given the great honor of offering you peace between our nations for a small token sum."

Francis II was puzzled. "Excuse me, sir, what is your name?"

"I am called Lan Zhu, Honored Sir. I am a special emissary to your Empire for this mission of peace."

"Emissary Zhu, where exactly do you think you are, if I might inquire?"

"This is the majestic city of Constantinople, the capital of the Byzantine Empire. Do you not know your own city?"

Lan Zhu was understandably insulted by the bellows of laughter that erupted from Francis II's mouth. "Did I say something funny?"

As Francis II felt his mirth begin to subside, he found the strength to respond. "My friend, you are in Florence, the Empire of Italy. Byzantium was taken and annexed over 200 years ago."

"But do you not wear the Imperial standard of Rome?"

"I do, Emissary Zhu, but this is the garb of the ancient Roman Empire, not the Byzantine Empire."

"I see. Forgive my ignorance, then, Emperor Francis. Let us to business; what do you say to the Light of Heaven's proposal?"

Francis II narrowly choked down another fit of hilarity. "Emissary, we are already at peace with the Middle Kingdom. Here is the treaty."

As Lan Zhu read the treaty, he swallowed uncomfortably. "I... see. This is most unfortunate. My instructions are to return with 5000 ducats or my life is forfeit."

All traces of humor vanished from the Emperor's face. "I am terribly sorry, my dear fellow. Even if I had that much money, paying to a foreign power as tribute for a war that we've already ended is absurd. I have no ill will towards you or your people, but that's a ridiculous request."

Lan Zhu's color drained from his face. "I apologize for bothering you, Honored Sir. I will trouble you no more."

The Emperor stroked his beard for a moment, then rose his hand. "If I may ask, Emissary Zhu, why is your life forfeit if you do not return with the gold?"

The Manchurian sighed. "Quite simply, Emperor, I made the decision to fall in love with the only daughter of my lord and master. He tolerated this with poor grace when we were young, but as she is promised to be wed to a powerful businessman in Beijing, the only way he would let us marry is if I conducted this task speedily and with success. If I did not, I had only shamed his daughter with my designs, and if I returned to Manchuria, he would have me killed."

"Perhaps you needn't return, Lan Zhu. You understand our language very well, and I am always in need of capable assistants. We honor foreigners here; many have attained noble status through service."

Lan Zhu brightened considerably. "That would be a most satisfactory solution, Honored Emperor. I can teach your people many things, including how to make the air explode!"

"You mean gunpowder? We've known that for about 150 years?"

Lan Zhu blinked. "Really? Then perhaps you haven't heard of..."

As the two talked, Francis II found his mood had vastly improved. This entertaining character would be an asset to the Empire of Italy.
21 May 1652, Serbia, Austria

Vittorio di Medici, the new General of the Third Army, had never felt worse about a promotion in his life. As hot tears spilled down his face, he couldn't believe his friend and mentor had died.

chapter34nomarshal.jpg

Vittorio had been close friends with the Gentileschi family for years; his father and the Field Marshal had grown up together; while Angelo di Medici had attended the Germanicus Academy for the Imperial Legions, Rodolfo Gentileschi had run off to sea. They met again when Angelo di Medici was the Commander of then Lieutenant Commander Gentileschi's legion. Vittorio was actually the Marshal's godson, and Rodolfo looked after him when Angelo died of a heart attack when Vittorio was a ten year old boy.

To honor both his father and godfather, Vittorio joined the Germanicus Academy as soon as he was old enough. He had a talent with artillery that mystified and pleased Gentileschi, and Vittorio had risen all the way to Colonel under the Field Marshal's wing. When Marshal Gentileschi needed a stable hand to run his artillery, he immediately turned to Vittorio, who was eager to accept the chance to work with his godfather and hero in the field.

For many months, Vittorio and his godfather had very little action. Naval victories and the fall of Karbala in the east did little to alleviate the boredom. Then an Austrian army under the commander of General Ferdinand Sauerzapff decided to assault the Italian position in Serbia. Thanks in large part to superior artillery fire, the battle was won easily.

chapter34battleofserbia.jpg

The defeat at Ifni of General Borghese, however, dismayed the Field Marshal.

chapter34battleofifni.jpg

Marshal Gentileschi would constantly rant and rave. "The Spaniards are not supermen, they are in fact far worse soldiers than the Austrians we just defeated. How can that idiot Borghese keep failing?!"

Unbeknownst to anybody, however, a piece of shrapnel had pierced the Marshal's thick coat. He'd been bleeding, slowly, since the battle at Serbia, but that bleeding had stopped. The Marshal's histrionics reopened the wound, and widened it. On the morning of 19 May 1652, a messenger reported that Dayz az Zor had fallen in the east. The Marshal smiled, said "Thank God some generals can beat the Spaniards," and died.

As Vittorio dried his eyes, he turned to the map and roster of generals submitted by Marshal Cato. He tried to smile at seeing his own name at the bottom, but couldn't manage it.

chapter34newgeneral2.jpg

He promised himself one thing -- if he ever saw that fool Borghese, he would demand satisfaction.
5 June 1652, Castle St. Maso, Rome

Foreign Minister di Ferrari didn't know why he kept getting battle reports -- he wasn't a member of the Imperial Council of War, nor had he ever served in the military.

chapter34bresciaandtrev.jpg

He was pleased, as any Italian was, about Second Brescia and Second Treviso, which had been completed on the same day. However, he'd had much more pressing matters. The Timurids, the wily bastards, had placed an Italian head on a spike outside Iraq-i-Arab; a sure declaration of war.

chapter34timurids.jpg

Their language was almost impossible to speak in, even for a brilliant linguist like di Ferrari. He snapped his fingers, and signaled for the new aide he'd been assigned by the Emperor.

"Zhu, do you speak barbarian?"

Lan Zhu, puzzled, replied, "Certainly, Honored Sir. My Latin is perfect."

Scowling, di Ferrari thrust the declaration of the Timurids in front of him. "No, you dolt, the Timurid tongue."

Lan Zhu brightened. "Oh yes, Minister. This says 'We declare war.'"

The Foreign Minister sighed. "And? What do they want?"

Lan Zhu was confused again. "They are barbarians, Honored Sir. All they want is pillage and slaughter. I am afraid only your armies will change their minds. Fortunately, you have already begun your advance, so I am not worried."

di Ferrari's eyes narrowed. "How do you know that?"

Lan Zhu handed over the map the Foreign Minister received two weeks ago.

chapter34advanceintotim.jpg

"Why didn't I see this before?"

"Because, Honored Sir, you have repeatedly asked me not to bother you with 'that stupid army stuff', as you put it."

As the Foreign Minister sat down, infuriated, Lan Zhu beat a hasty retreat. He was not making as many friends as he hoped.

This land is so strange. It is so fertile, yet some people do not eat. It is enormous, but surely pales in comparison to the Middle Kingdom. Yet, if we were to engage in direct combat, I have a feeling that the Italians would win. Perhaps this concept of reviving the Roman Empire has some merit? The people seem inspired, happy, even cheerful, and this included those who did not have enough to eat. They all knew, even without military training, that Austria was sure to fail.

I think I'm going to like it here.

26 July 1652, Milan, Lombardia

With the fall of Brescia, General Carlo Felice della Torre was given the task of eliminating the Austrian army in Cremona. The General knew that the Austrians had had time to prepare for his assault, so he'd requested the assistance of the two legions that had taken Brescia.

chapter34advanceintocre.jpg

The news in the rest of the war was good too. Italian armies had captured Serbia, Treviso, and Mosul. Mazovia and Riga had signed white peaces with the Emperor, which while not crippling to the Austrian war effort, symbolized that the Austrian alliance was beginning to crumble. Even better, a battle had finally been won against Castille, albeit in the East.

chapter34battleofkhuzes.jpg

Della Torre was so confident that he sent a letter home to his family, writing that he'd be home for Christmas. He wondered what Vienna was like in the winter time. He'd never really seen snow, as a native of Palermo.
Later that day, Castle St. Maso, Rome

As the French ambassador left, Foreign Minister di Ferrari was happy for the first time in months. Not only had he negotiated the French exit to the war, but he'd done so entirely without the Emperor's interference.

chapter34frenchpeace.jpg

The Emperor still needed to sign the treaty, and the French ambassador needed to return to Paris to ensure the King was amenable, but neither the Foreign Minister nor the ambassador anticipated any trouble.

Even better, this gave di Ferrari an excuse to get rid of Lan Zhu for a while. The Manchurian was brilliant and handy with languages, the Minister admitted, but he was also a pain in the rear and gunning for his job, or at least he thought so. Lan Zhu was ordered to take the treaty to Florence for the Emperor's signature, which would free the Foreign Minister for at least a few days.

The war wasn't over yet, true, but with the Austrian armies running at every turn and the legions finally driving back the Castillians, it couldn't be much longer.

Could it?
Next part will be this weekend, probably. Lan Zhu is the creation of Michaelangelo, our esteemed contest winner and possible Ninja Turtle.

really like Lan Zhu ... & the idea of a peace for a war you'd forgotten you were waging

That's all Michaelangelo; I should really name him co-author or something, he's given me so many great characters to work with. History_Buff, Bearjuice67, and whoever else I'm sure I'm forgetting :)

That's all Michaelangelo; I should really name him co-author or something, he's given me so many great characters to work with. History_Buff, Bearjuice67, and whoever else I'm sure I'm forgetting :)

Co-author... I like the sound of that. ;)
You portrayed Lan Zhu exactly as I imagined him. I'm still laughing about when he referred to Latin as being the barbarian language. :laugh:
Austria seems to be getting pummelled, but Castille is holding out. It looks like they are going to be the biggest problem in this war.
Oh, unfortunately I am not a ninja turtle. :p

Co-author... I like the sound of that. ;)
You portrayed Lan Zhu exactly as I imagined him. I'm still laughing about when he referred to Latin as being the barbarian language. :laugh:
Austria seems to be getting pummelled, but Castille is holding out. It looks like they are going to be the biggest problem in this war.
Oh, unfortunately I am not a ninja turtle. :p

Oh well, it was worth a shot :) Castille did put up a much better fight than I thought they would; making things worse, it took me a while that Savoy couldn't invade and Savoy wouldn't let France invade, so I had three legions just waiting around for no reason.