• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chatnoir17

CK2 NMIH Project Lead
98 Badges
Sep 17, 2009
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Divine Wind
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
1. About This Mod

This Mod is a CK2 Mod about Japanese medieval era, called Sengoku Jidai. This mod will contain following features.

• Two Genpei scenarios (1180) and the Sengoku era where you can start the game on any date between 1493 and 1582.
  • Map based on the historical provinces. Similar to the Sengoku map, but more historically accurate for the 16th century
  • historical settlements such as castles, cities and manors. The starting and max. number of baronies in each province is based on surveys in the 16th and 19th centuries.
  • Historical buddhist revolters such as Ikko Shu and Hokke Shu
  • Interaction with the Imperial Court and the Shogunate
  • Events with Westerners
  • Japanese localization of vanilla features
  • Portraits of historical pictures
  • Original 3D unit models

2. Current Status

Beta phase (0.9.1). It is compatible with pach 3.0.1-
Here is the workshop link.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333442855

You don't need these sub mods anymore. They are included into the main mod by version 0.8.0.
Graphical Mod:http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=699163682
Event Pictures Mod:http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=590669567

Alterantive Manual Download (ver. 0.8.8)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/165jfx9ek914n9h/NMIH_AiO_v-088.zip/
Download the mod from the link in the above description and unzip them, install the both file ( NMIH_All_in_One folder and .mod file) into your document/paradox interactive/crusader kings 2/mod folder, then choose "NMIH All in One xxxx" in the mod tab in the CK2 launcher.
Steam Workshop might dislike you, but NMIH NOT!
Please also don't forget to keep the subscribing the workshop page anyway to keep the number, besides good (or bad, sometimes) evaluation there!

3. Team Members

aycone
chatnoir17
hamane
kaipain
Khorney
kk0192
kzmax
Lunawolf242
Remitonov
seishinouya
ys_sthlm
Zabara

Special Thanks to...
Camara: map adjustment for patch 1.10-
Miroslav Milosevic: 3D models
SchwarzKatze: suggestions and bug reports
Mitsusonator: ainu buildings
Drakon: English localization improvement
Jo: Spanish Localization
The Legendary Carmine: English localization improvement
Grand Historian: English localization improvement
Your Personal Castle Team: personal buildings
AGOT Team: regency and other mechanics

4. Help needed !

Since we are researching the historical setting intensively, some knowledge about Japanese is required for ver.0.1. However, we need also help of non-Japanese speakers by coding and painting.

5. FAQ

Q1. There are already other Japan mods. Why do we need new one?
A1. This mod has started after some conversation in Japanese CK2 thread and Wiki, thus NMIH should be compatible in both English and Japanese version of CK2. Due to this condition, we need a new line of development. In addition, we have different designs and thoughts, so different mods could coexist on this forum.

Q2. Paradox has already released Sengoku. Why don't you mod that game instead of CK2.
A2. After developing MIH mod for Sengoku, I have realized that both games have rather different concepts. In Sengoku conquering over 50% of provinces within 150 years is a must, so that game has less micromanagement. It isn't wrong as a game about feudal Japan, but with CK2 which doesn't force players world conquest, we could choose different approach.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Last edited:
reserved 2

Mod Concept I: Cultures

Except Ryukyu and Ainu, Japan is considered as a monocultural country. However, we divide the Japanese culture into several regional subcultures.

The reasons are...
I. Regional identity in the Sengoku period
There were many conflicts between different areas. For example, the Takeda in Kai/Shinano was the biggest rival of the Uesugi in Echigo, and the Ouchi in Western Chugoku and the Otomo in Northern Kyushu were fighting each other. On the other hand, retainers of many clans were recruited from certain provinces. F.e. the retainers of the Tokugawa clan were mainly from Mikawa, Totomi and Suruga. In order to represent such regional connections and rivalries, we have six mother cultures and 21 sub cultures.

nmihcultures.png

In addition, we have some Buddhist and aristocrats cultures for Ikko-Ikki or the Imperial court.

II. Tendency of naming in each region
Japanese names were based on the clans, it means that family members shared same characters in their names. For example, the Ashikaga clan had "Yoshi-" as their traditional character, and the Date clan had "-Mune". The mechanic of CK2 can't handle this system well, but if we give some name patterns for each region, it could be roughly shown in game.

III. Clan/Region specific buildings
If you have played STW or NA series, you have remarked that the clans in these games were characterized and became unique. These special abilities were a bit gamey, but we can also represent some historical facts with these cultural divisions, f.e. strong firearms by the Shimazu clan, weak but mass footsoldiers by the Oda clan or quick cavalries of the Takeda clan.

Here is a new screen shot.

Family Tree of the Date clan

dateclan.png

The rulers of the Date clan used effectively adoption in order to expand their influence. This policy required great fertility, but actually they had it.

Looks nice!

I think that regional culture related with dialacts. So, How about you use these for culture division?▼
Japanese_dialects-ja
Japanese_dialects-en
日本語の方言
Kinki

北海道方言 Hokkaidō
内陸部方言 interior
海岸部方言 coastal​
東北方言 Tōhoku
北奥羽方言 Kita Ōu (North Tohoku)
南奥羽方言 Minami Ōu (South Tohoku)​
関東方言 Kantō
東関東方言 East Kantō(Some scholar categorize this Tōhoku dialect)
西関東方言 West Kantō
東京方言 Tōkyō (Made during Edo period)​
東海東山方言 Tōkai-Tōsan
越後方言 Echigo
北部伊豆諸島方言 North Izu islands
ナヤシ方言 Nayashi(Nagano-Yamanashi-Shizuoka)
ギア方言 Gia (Gifu-Aichi)​
北陸方言 Hokuriku
近畿方言 Kinki (Kansai)
北近畿式方言 North Kinki
中近畿式方言 Central Kinki
西近畿式方言 West Kinki
南近畿式方言 South Kinki
東近畿式方言 East Kinki​
中国方言 Chūgoku
東山陰方言 East San'in (East part of Inaba, East part of Hōki, Tajima, and North part of Tangō)
東山陽方言 East San'yō (Bingō and It's East Provinces)
西中国方言 West Chūgoku​
雲伯方言 Umpaku
四国方言 Shikoku
北四国方言 North Shikoku (Sanuki, Iyo without south part, and Awa)
南四国方言 South Shikoku (Tosa without west part)
四国西南部方言 West-south Shikoku (West part of Tosa and South part of Iyo)​
九州方言 Kyūshū
豊日方言 Hōhi
肥筑方言 Hichiku
薩隅方言 Satsugu​

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! By now, cultural setting is rather based on the relationship between clans and characters (it relates to landed_titles, but not same) or historical territories (regions under a clan should be in a same/similar culture in order to avoid negative opinion modifier) than the linguistic map, but your suggestion is helpful for further development of the mod.:)

This looks great! I wish I could help with research, but my knowledge is of such a general sort that I'm going to have to content myself with being an enthusiast.

In any case, good luck with the mod. I'm looking forward to it...

The tenacity of the Japanese Paradox fanbase continues to impress me -- if only we English speakers had a similarly dedicated fanbase for Koei's games...

I discovered japanese web page about List of Sengoku-daimyo. :)
戦国大名事典

I didn't know that... :eek: Thanks!
We are also using these sites.
http://www.afpbb.com/article/enviro...5500/10215380?ctm_campaign=txt_topic(castles)
http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/up-cgi/login.pl?p=param/soue/db_param(manors)
http://proto.harisen.jp/index.html(cities)

All helps are more than welcome. Our team is purely Japanese by now, but if you don't hesitate with this condition and are brave enough to communicate with broken Japanese/English via Google translator, please send me a PM. I will let you know the address of our private forum. Of course suggesting your idea in this thread would be also appreciated!

Mod Concept II:De Jure Kingdoms

The set up of landed titles is quite important for the game design of CK2, since the structure of titles motives players and determine routes of expansion. Normally, a count player wants to become a duke at first, and trys to get a royal crown in his region. So structual relations between empires, kindoms and duchies should be reasonable for game play, but also for our history. F.e. small daimyos in Kyushu shouldn't have merits with conquest in far Tohoku. If they try this strategy without any duchal title, they will get some provinces, but they will also suffer from demesne limit of the county title. The clans in Kyushu such as Otomo, Shimazu or Ryuzoji should conquer some provinces in Kyushu and become the "King" of Kyushu, then expand into the main land, as they did historically.

Here is another example about Hokuriku region.

hokurikukingdom.png

Including these 6 provinces under Hokuriku kingdom motivates players to follow the real strategy such as the expansion of Uesugi Kenshin in this region around 1570, or the domain of Shibata Katsuie after the death of Oda Nobunaga.

There is also a problem, namely which titles should be emperors/kings in game. Historically speaking, there was/is only one Emperor in Japan. However, making Japanese Emperor as the top of all daimyos will cause some issues like revoking titles. So we have desicded to give Shoguns instead of Emperors the de jure land of Japan. In 1534, the Ashikaga Shogunate was weak, but players can try to rebuild a strong Ashikaga Bakufu with using reconquest CBs. Of course Emperors will be there in game, but they have the titular title of Japan.
On the other hand, there is no historical titles for regional kings in Japan. So these royal titles are purely functional and mean simply regional supreme rulers.

Here is the roughly structure of de jure Japan.
e_shogunate = {
k_northern_tohoku
k_southern_tohoku
k_dewa
k_eastern_kanto
k_western_kanto
k_koshin
k_tokai
k_western_chubu
k_hokuriku
K_northern_kinai
k_southern_kinai
k_sanin
k_sanyo
k_western_chugoku
k_shikoku
k_northern_kyushu
k_southern_kyushu
}

There will be some titular kingdoms and duchies, such as regional governor titles in the Shogunate or religious leaders.

Last edited:
The set up of landed titles is quite important for the game design of CK2, since the structure of titles motives players and determine routes of expansion. Normally, a count player wants to become a duke at first, and trys to get a royal crown in his region. So structual relations between empires, kindoms and duchies should be reasonable for game play, but also for our history. F.e. small daimyos in Kyushu shouldn't have merits with conquest in far Tohoku. If they try this strategy without any duchal title, they will get some provinces, but they will also suffer from demesne limit of the county title. The clans in Kyushu such as Otomo, Shimazu or Ryuzoji should conquer some provinces in Kyushu and become the "King" of Kyushu, then expand into the main land, as they did historically.

Here is another example about Hokuriku region.

hokurikukingdom.png

Including these 6 provinces under Hokuriku kingdom motivates players to follow the real strategy such as the expansion of Uesugi Kenshin in this region around 1570, or the domain of Shibata Katsuie after the death of Oda Nobunaga.

There is also a problem, namely which titles should be emperors/kings in game. Historically speaking, there was/is only one Emperor in Japan. However, making Japanese Emperor as the top of all daimyos will cause some issues like revoking titles. So we have desicded to give Shoguns instead of Emperors the de jure land of Japan. In 1534, the Ashikaga Shogunate was weak, but players can try to rebuild a strong Ashikaga Bakufu with using reconquest CBs. Of course Emperors will be there in game, but they have the titular title of Japan.
On the other hand, there is no historical titles for regional kings in Japan. So these royal titles are purely functional and mean simply regional supreme rulers.

Here is the roughly structure of de jure Japan.
e_shogunate = {
k_northern_tohoku
k_southern_tohoku
k_dewa
k_eastern_kanto
k_western_kanto
k_koshin
k_tokai
k_western_chubu
k_hokuriku
K_northern_kinai
k_southern_kinai
k_sanin
k_sanyo
k_western_chugoku
k_shikoku
k_northern_kyushu
k_southern_kyushu
}

There will be some titular kingdoms and duchies, such as regional governor titles in the Shogunate or religious leaders.

How will you be translating the feudal titles to their Japanese equivalents? I suppose based on the domains of Daimyo in 1570 (shown below), you could rename the title of 'king' as 'daimyo'. Similarly, dukes may probably be changed to 'shugo' and counts to 'shugodai', but I'm not sure myself.

Map_Japan_Genki1.png

Attachments

• Map_Japan_Genki1.png
    Map_Japan_Genki1.png
    33,3 KB · Views: 23
How will you be translating the feudal titles to their Japanese equivalents? I suppose based on the domains of Daimyo in 1570 (shown below), you could rename the title of 'king' as 'daimyo'. Similarly, dukes may probably be changed to 'shugo' and counts to 'shugodai', but I'm not sure myself.

We are using Kokushu (国主) = lord of province for dukes. It covers both Shugo Daimyo under the Shogunate and more independent Sengoku Daimyo. For king level, we are using Dai-Daimyo (大大名) = Great Daimyo by now, although I am not sure how many Japanese terms should be in game.

Any plans to use the Mongol Portraits instead? Vanilla Portraits looks really out of place for a Japan CK2 mod.

We are planning to give you several options. Personally, both Mongol and Vanilla portraits are irrelevant, so I don't care how they look like.